• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Expert Tips for a Fat-Free Diet: Vegetarian Cookbook Recommendations | TIA

In summary, a doctor prescribed a low-fat diet to a vegetarian woman, but she found it difficult to stick to because of the limited number of fat grams she is allowed to consume each day. She recommends using a steamer or the microwave to prepare vegetables, or adding chicken broth to stir-fries instead of oil. She also suggests baking potatoes with salsa or fresh tomato sauce with basil on pasta. Finally, she recommends roasting vegetables to get the most flavor out of them.
pamperedtraci
Okay, my doctor put me on a diet, and I am having trouble sticking to it because I can't find any new ways to prepare my vegetables so that they stay fat-free. I am limited to 35 grams of fat per day! That's it! Trust me, when you read nutrition labels you realized 35 g/day is NOT a lot!! I was wondering if anyone could recommend a GREAT vegetarian cookbook for me so that I can start fixing my veggies in new and exciting ways so that I am not as bored with them!! Salads get tiring when that's all you're eating!
TIA!

No cook book. But steaming veggies is good. Either use a steamer, or put them in the microwave, covered with a small amount of water. I usually go for 3 minutes on hi for broccoli. You could try stir frying the veggies using chicken broth instead of oil in a non-stick pan (I hear we have some great ones :) - used my 8" skillets to make omelets yesterday and it was great. ) Add some rice wine, or rice vinegar, soy sauce and oyster sauce (not sure about the fat content of oyster sauce though) for flavour. Baked potatoes with salsa. Yummy. Enough salsa and it counts as an extra veggie :) . Fresh tomato sauce with basil (just tomatoes and basil) on pasta. Also very yummy. That's all I can think of right now... I'll stew on it a bit.ZK

The new 29 minute to dinner cookbook has a great no meat section. The it's good for you cookbook is great too.

http://www.tristatefeed.com/sitebuilder/images/Advanced_Nutrition_Professional-147x259.jpgWell, that's what it sounds like.

I always find it funny when doctors put you on a diet. I have taken a full 3 hour course in college - You know 3 hours a week for 16 weeks

Most doctor's had one day or 8 hours of nutrition training and they are advising people on a diet.

Are there any other guidelines besides vegetarian and low fat?? Usually when someone puts you on a low fat diets it ends up being high in carbs and low in protien which makes me hungry al the time.

Try this:
http://search.barnesandnoble.com/Vegetarian-Times-Low-Fat-Fast/Vegetarian-Times/e/9780028615882/?itm=83

I think roasting veggies is a SUPER way to eat them! It brings out the sweetness in them. I think you can throw them in a ziploc, add a SMALL amount of olive or veggie oil, and salt...roast at 425 till done. (Different veggies require different cooking times) This is the ONLY way that I will eat brussel sprouts! I buy the frozen ones, and roast in the oven till they are crisp tender and nice and browned. They are so sweet and addictive! I can eat an entire bag myself...maybe cuz the rest of my family won't touch them, but that's cuz they don't know what's good!! I think it takes them 20-30 minutes, but I do them from frozen.

Im a vegetarian and I have found that we use less oil when we grill vegetables rather than saute them. I also make a lot of soups, which cuts back on the fat but add a lot of herbs that give a lot of flavor. I think the main thing is to figure out how to get the most flavor in your veggies so you dont have to use a lot of fat. We add a lot of garlic, herbs, spices and shallots to flavor our veggies. Carmelizing them helps too. good luck :)

Any cookbook put out by the Moosewood Restaurant is very good. Their original Moosewood Cookbook wasn't low fat but they do have one that is and they've since, I believe they've 'cleaned up' the original too with a revised, lower fat, healthier version. I have three of their cookbooks and love them. I also have the Vegetarian Times cookbook which is great if you're new to vegetarianism... will help you with understanding and finding some ingredients, though most of their recipes you can easily find everything in a grocery store. My fav though may be out of print... it's called the Lean, Luscious and Meatless cookbook... it's so been worn and used in my house. LOL... Also, if it helps, set up an account at http://www.thedailyplate.com and track what you eat. It helps track calories, fat, sodium, etc... I use it to make myself responsible for what goes in my mouth. Also, eating 'high carb' isn't bad... it's the KIND of carb that matters... eating whole grains, whole wheat (the real stuff - bread when squished bounces back, doesn't stay squished)... is awesome... also experiment with grains.. quinoa is a wonderful grain that's a complete protein... I think sometimes American's get burned out on wheat... and even rice... don't see it as a limitation of 'just salads' but as a time of experimentation. There's also a lot of great sites online for recipe ideas. HTH!

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
http://www.tristatefeed.com/sitebuilder/images/Advanced_Nutrition_Professional-147x259.jpg

Well, that's what it sounds like.

LMAO!!! Only you, KG............:rolleyes:

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
http://www.tristatefeed.com/sitebuilder/images/Advanced_Nutrition_Professional-147x259.jpg

Well, that's what it sounds like.

That's what I FEEL like it is!! I have to stay under 35 grams of fat per day and take in NO calories in my drinks, except for my milk!! I have to cut out most of my meat. My fruits and veggies are completely free (except the potato). I just keep steaming my veggies with salt and pepper and stuff...not really great day after day and salads get old and boring. I do appreciate all of your thoughts!

BTW...I actually saw a nutrionist after the doctor put me on the diet and the nutritionist is actually regulating my diet!

Vegetarian Cooking for Everyone by Deborah Madison is a fantastic book.

Are they keeping you off corn syrup? I challenge anyone to find thirty five items in a grocery store (besides fresh produce, smartaleck) that don't have corn syrup in them.

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
Are they keeping you off corn syrup?

I challenge anyone to find thirty five items in a grocery store (besides fresh produce, smartaleck) that don't have corn syrup in them.

High Fructose Corn Syrup is not allowed in my house (except for occasional treats - like the Girl Scout Cookies here right how!) so I do know what brands don't have it. I try not to buy any processed foods with HFCS, or hydrogenated oils.

Mostly if you buy organic, it won't have it. But - Newmans Own brand doesn't use it, and Aunt Millies Hearth Breads don't, as well as Nature's Own brand - or anything by Kashi, or Cascadian Farms.....

I do have to admit though, that you have to diligently read labels to keep away from it.

Wouldn't it be great if you could keep away from the automotive fuel version of HFCS?

ChefBeckyD said:
High Fructose Corn Syrup is not allowed in my house (except for occasional treats - like the Girl Scout Cookies here right how!) so I do know what brands don't have it. I try not to buy any processed foods with HFCS, or hydrogenated oils.Mostly if you buy organic, it won't have it. But - Newmans Own brand doesn't use it, and Aunt Millies Hearth Breads don't, as well as Nature's Own brand - or anything by Kashi, or Cascadian Farms.....I do have to admit though, that you have to diligently read labels to keep away from it.
A chiropractor at our church is a nutritionist and a lot of people are going through the muscle testing and nutritional detox by eliminating certain foods. High fructose corn syrup was described as one of the worst things for you.(Guess I'd better stop drinking my coke... :( )
The_Kitchen_Guy said:
Wouldn't it be great if you could keep away from the automotive fuel version of HFCS?
Yup!

During my "day job", I actually work as a weight loss consultant. A couple of my favorite recipes for "Free Foods" include cutting up Roma Tomatoes, Cucumbers, red onions and sometimes red peppers into cubes. I add balsamic vinegar and let it set overnight in the refrigerator. By the next day, the flavors have blended together and are delicious. One of my favorite salads is fresh spinach with lightly sweetened strawberries (I use Sweet and Low) with balsamic vinegar as the dressing. Farmer Boy Restaurant makes a great Greek Salad dressing with only 25 calories and I think 2 grams of fat. I use this on salads a lot but it's also good as a marinade for veggies. You can purchase online or make a request to your local supermarket to carry it. Check out some weight loss websites such as Jenny Craig or Weight Watchers. On some sites, you can register and have access to their recipes.Good Luck!
Michelle

Dr. Ornish published a number of cookbooks on a diet to reverse heart disease. The diet is vegetarian with no added fats. Considering your fat requirements there might be food in there you will enjoy. I know there was a burrito recipe that my family is quite fond of. ZK

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
Are they keeping you off corn syrup?

I challenge anyone to find thirty five items in a grocery store (besides fresh produce, smartaleck) that don't have corn syrup in them.

Until my DD had her stomach surgery at 6 months, she was super sensitive to dairy and corn products, so I had to read product labels and couldn't have anything with even a hint of dairy or corn, including high fructose corn syrup. It's hard, but I got quite adept (from month 2 to month 7) at shopping and finding a lot to eat that was dairy and corn free.

It is ridiculous how much has high fructose corn syrup in it!! (Did you know ketcup has HFCS? Most breads?)

Do you want a list of items? It's been 5 months, not sure I remember them all, but I'm sure I can come up with at least 20, if not 35 off the top of my head. :p

What are some tips for following a fat-free diet while still enjoying vegetarian meals?

Some tips for following a fat-free diet while still enjoying vegetarian meals include incorporating plenty of fruits and vegetables into your meals, choosing lean protein sources like beans and tofu, and using non-fat cooking methods such as grilling or steaming.

What are some recommended cookbooks for vegetarian meals that are low in fat?

Some recommended cookbooks for vegetarian meals that are low in fat include "The Low-Fat Vegetarian Cookbook" by Sue Spitler, "The Fat-Free Vegetarian Cookbook" by Sarah Schlesinger, and "The Vegetarian Low-Fat Cookbook" by Nicola Graimes.

Can you suggest some substitutions for high-fat ingredients in vegetarian recipes?

Yes, for dairy products like cream or cheese, you can use non-fat or low-fat versions. Instead of oil, you can use vegetable broth or cooking spray. Avocado can be substituted with mashed peas or hummus, and nuts can be replaced with seeds or diced vegetables.

Are there any specific ingredients to look out for when trying to follow a fat-free vegetarian diet?

Yes, some ingredients to look out for include high-fat dairy products like full-fat cheese or butter, high-fat oils like coconut or palm oil, and processed foods that may contain hidden fats. It's important to read ingredient labels carefully when grocery shopping.

How can I add flavor to vegetarian dishes without using high-fat ingredients?

You can add flavor to vegetarian dishes by using herbs and spices, citrus juices, and vinegar. You can also experiment with different cooking methods like roasting or grilling to bring out the natural flavors of vegetables. Adding a small amount of low-sodium soy sauce or miso paste can also add depth of flavor without adding excess fat.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
cmdtrgd
  • EmilyStraw
  • Pampered Chef Recipes
Replies
Views
Admin Greg
  • DebbieSAChef
  • General Chat
Replies