• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Should I tip/gift my driver? An experience with FedEx and UPS

In summary, I believe you have FedEx in the US and we have UPS here in Canada. Do you tip/gift your driver?
kcjodih
Gold Member
I believe you have FedEx in the US and we have UPS here in Canada. Do you tip/gift your driver?

I always have every Christmas but this year it looks like I'm not going to be. I don't know what's with my driver this year but when I have a delivery of one box he/she walks up the sidewalk and places it at my front door. If I have more than that he/she places it at the top of the drive against my garage door (like he or she is too lazy to walk the extra 100 feet to the front door!) Two weeks ago I started my truck, opened my garage door, put it in reverse and at the last second looked out my side mirror and SLAMMED on my brakes - my largest show ever - 7 boxes were RIGHT BEHIND MY TRUCK!! He/she had placed them directly in front of the garage door!! Needless to say I wasn't happy :mad: However, I let it go...

So I gave him/her the benefit of the doubt and put a gift card in a Christmas card and put UPS driver, Merry Christmas on the envelope and taped it to the front door knowing that I had 2 adjustments and one small outside order arriving in the next few days. Well today...he/she puts the ONE box in front of the garage door. DH finds it when he comes home, puts it in the house, and then takes the envelope off the front door and says ridiculous, forget it :rolleyes:.

So should I tape the card to the garage door or forget about it? This is the second year we've lived here and last year there was no problem so I'm thinking I've had a new driver this entire year. Previous to that my other 3 years with PC at my last address my UPS driver was wonderful! He'd honk as he pulled in, carry the boxes around the back to hide in the alcove at my back door or if I was home and opened my garage door he would carry it right in my garage to my man door and hand them one by one to me (they're not allowed to come in the house). Consequently, he received the mini baker filled with baking and a coffee card one year, a bottle of wine and wine bottle opener the first year, and a couple of bbq tools another year. But this driver...ugh!

I agree with your DH on this one. They may be busy, yes...but that's ridiculous (and I'd be calling the main office for the company in your area to let them know about it. I bet he/she's not supposed to that. ).I don't tip/gift my FedEx driver(s)...partly because it's never the same driver more than 2 or 3 times that I've seen. I do plan on giving a small gift for my Postal Driver and the lady that works the main desk at the Post Office....but that's about it.

I always make LOTS of fudge and candy around the holiday so I always give my driver a gift of that. However, he is wonderful. We are on a first name basis and since I live in a rural area, if he can't make it because of the snow/ice - he will call to see if it is ok to wait till the next day. If I need it that day, he tries to get to me or we make arrangements for him to drop it at a family members house. Anyhow, I say its the same as tipping a server - good job, good tip. Bad job, bad/no tip.

And you tried! It was on the door!! :)

I don't get enough deliveries to warrant a gift.

I would though, suggest that you call UPS to let them know. I had a similar issue with my FedEx driver. He would leave the boxes in front of the garage door, which meant that when I got home, I'd have to get out of the car to move them, just to be able to pull in. I called and asked if he could put the boxes just to the side of the door. I would still see them when I got home, but I could pull in and get my son situated before worrying about the boxes. Or I could leave them for DH.

Your driver (especially if you have a new one) may not realize that you are at home. Especially if you're parked in a closed garage. His intentions might be good. He might be wanting to make sure you see the boxes (we rarely use our front door, so I've had to create a habit to peek out the window for packages). Of course, in front of the door isn't necessarily the best place.

Giving them a quick call, not to necessarily complain, but to let them know where would be the best place wouldn't hurt. Especially if you have your shows delivered to you, he should be there often enough to remember if you ask.

I gave my guy a gift last year, but he was super nice. He would always ring the bell and stop and chat. This year we moved I don't even know who my driver is at my new house. They drop and run.I am getting my mail carrier a gift--a gift card to McD's. I see her with a sweet tea from there a lot.

Last edited:
I wish I could, mine drops and runs so I've never met him!

**this reply is generally speaking this does not apply to every single driver**

My hubby drives for UPS so I'm all about the Christmas tips. LOL.
Although the ones he does get are from people who he goes a little extra for. There are a few customers that he will go inside the house (yes against rules) if they are elderly or disabled. And he has arrangements with many of his regular house calls with where to leave packages. So for that I would suggest calling UPS and telling them where you want packages left or make sure you are home one day and talk to the driver.

Keeping in mind that both UPS and FedEx have temp helpers right now (Mon after Thanksgiving until 12/24) and they are both just pressed for time in getting everything delivered. Temp helpers get a crash course in delivering and using the diads not in customer service.

Also many many drivers during peak simply do not have the extra time to give to people, even regular customers. And if you normally get packages at your door but are finding them at the mail box or in the driveway, be sure that your walks are shoveled and your driveways plowed. I know it sounds crazy but if it take an extra 3-5 mins to get to your door because there is snow everywhere and you didn't shovel they won't do it.

And FedEx drivers get paid by the package delivered. They usually ring my bell but are long gone before I get to the door. They have a completely different contract than UPS, who gets paid by the hour.

Lastly, you can have your address added to a 'signature required' list. So if you are home they will have to wait for you to sign for the package. BUT if you miss them they can not leave the package.

chefcharity said:
... Anyhow, I say its the same as tipping a server - good job, good tip. Bad job, bad/no tip.

I also look at it like this.

I give my Fed Ex driver a little something (he's nice and always leaves my dog a doggie treat), left my mail carrier a gift in the mailbox today (SB, Weekday Dinner Cards, All purpose Spreader, Quik Cut knife and a seasoning in a gift wrapped box).

She takes my "Priority Mail" Host mailings and that is no easy feat some days! I wrote on the card "Thank you for all you do to make my business run smoother!!"

She left me a "thank you" card in the box today.

I gave my FedEx lady a $25 gift certificate that I made. She used it to buy the Snowmen Platter. She is great! She brings my boxes inside the door for me since I am on a cane and take care of my grandkids during the day. I have all orders delivered to me so I have seen her a lot this year. When it is raining, she tucks them safely under our carport if I don't answer the door, so she is a real jewel!

1. Do I need to tip or gift my driver when they deliver my Pampered Chef order?

While it is not required, it is a common courtesy to tip or gift your driver when they deliver your Pampered Chef order. Our drivers work hard to ensure your products arrive safely and on time, and a small token of appreciation goes a long way.

2. How much should I tip or what should I gift my driver?

The amount you choose to tip or the type of gift you give is completely up to you. Some customers choose to give a small cash tip, while others prefer to give a small gift such as a thank you card or a small treat. Anything that shows your gratitude is greatly appreciated by our drivers.

3. Can I include a tip or gift in my online order?

Unfortunately, we do not have an option to include a tip or gift in your online order. However, you can give a tip or gift directly to your driver when they deliver your order.

4. Is it appropriate to tip or gift my driver during the holidays?

Absolutely! The holiday season is a great time to show your appreciation for your driver's hard work and dedication. Whether it's a small cash tip or a thoughtful gift, your driver will surely appreciate the gesture.

5. What if I am not satisfied with my delivery, do I still need to tip or gift my driver?

If you have any issues with your delivery, please contact our customer service team so we can make it right for you. In this case, it is not necessary to tip or gift your driver, as they are just doing their job to ensure your satisfaction.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
chefheidi2003
  • pampered1224
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
pampered1224
  • ginamkiely
  • General Chat
Replies