• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Do You Provide the Ingredients for the Show Recipe?

In summary, the expert says that she uses it as a way to get reimbursed for the groceries she buys for the cooking show recipe, and that she brings with her recipe ingredients that the hosts might not normally have.
JulieHaak
Gold Member
Just wanting to take a poll for those out there:

Do you provide the ingredients for the cooking show recipe?

Thanks in advance

Nope....I have on occasion offered to do the shopping, but the hosts reimbursed me. Personally, I will not be offering that service much.

I try and pick economical meals, send them the list of ingredients and they do the shopping. I also tell them that PC starts them at $15 FPV as a thank you, and to help offset the costs of groceries.

I do so that I have the needed ingredients. Otherwise you are at their mercy.I use it as a tax deduction at the end of the year.

No, I do not. Part of the host benefits is $15 in FPV in exchange for the host buying the ingredients.Occasionally, I will use it as an incentive and I will buy the ingredients, but that is very rare.

Only as an incentive or as a drawing for a booth.

I do however, bring with me recipe ingredients that might be things the host wouldn't normally have on hand, and that only a small amount is needed from a larger amount that would have to be purchased.

for instance - the salad dressing for the Strawberry Spinach Salad - I provide the white wine vinegar, and the poppy seeds.

I usually always bring my own parmesan cheese (too many times of having it come in a green can, or already grated in a tub.;)) and also my own garlic.

I've done recipes before that call for a tbls. of sesame oil, so I provide that too.

As a service to my hosts, I do the spopping and ask for reimbursement. I always reference the fact that they are awarded $15 FPV in exchange. Most hosts really like that I take the pressure off of them and are more than willing to pay me back.
That way I know I have everything I need and I can do some prep work ahead of time. If the show is not going to be hands on I like to most of the cutting and chopping done ahead so it's a quick demo of products and putting together the recipe. Otherwise I'm too distracted by "steps" that I don't focus on THE PRODUCTS.

Me too - this is exactly what I do. Then the $15 for them is just another bonus!

tlag1986 said:
I do so that I have the needed ingredients. Otherwise you are at their mercy.

I use it as a tax deduction at the end of the year.

My hosts buy the ingredients unless I offer a free show as an incentive at a booth.

Normally I do not. I have a couple of times offered a "free show" where I purchase the ingredients and mail the invitations for the host. I usually do this in the months that are harder to book (January).

I'll only do the ingredients if it's a promotion...a "free" show they won. Otherwise, I might bring the random item that would be hard for them to find, or like Becky mentioned something that they just need a little of that's expensive for them to buy a whole container of. I give the host a list of ingredients and go over it w/ them so they are aware of (yes, I want a real garlic clove, yes, real parmesan block of cheese, etc) If it's something they don't usually buy and seem clueless, I tell them I'll bring it along. I explain to hosts that they get $15 from PC as a thank you for picking up the groceries. IF they are unable, I will help out by getting them. I just don't want to add another list of groceries to my bill and take the time out to pick things up so they are fresh right before a show. My time is extremely limited w/ my DH's crazy work schedule.

I send a note with a self adressed letter in there.
I explain to hosts I like to make it easy(and be sure of correct ingredients)
I ask them to send me a check for $15 before our show, and I will cash it only after our show. This shows me the host is sincere and serious of the show. They love it cause they don;t need to worry about ingredients and I can shop in bulk to save them $$.

Plus I can prep any ingredients if needed at home,
nancy

I've been buying the ingredients, but looking at my profitability.... not going to be doing that anymore. I'm spending more in groceries than I'm making at most shows.

Like Becky, i do it for cumin, rice wine vinegar etc
I am very specific on the ingred when I host coach I type it in bold and in color the brand or type of food needed & if i need it washed, can unopened etc and email it as their grocery list I also go over it on the phone & am very specific..

I used to have them provide the ingredients but I am getting a bit OCD in my old age and don't like to be surprised with wrong ingredients so now I pick up the ingredients and my host reimburses me a flat $10 when we wrap up her show. It's also very handy in case I get lost going to a show and get their late-quick setup!

nancycookspc said:
I send a note with a self adressed letter in there.
I explain to hosts I like to make it easy(and be sure of correct ingredients)
I ask them to send me a check for $15 before our show, and I will cash it only after our show. This shows me the host is sincere and serious of the show. They love it cause they don;t need to worry about ingredients and I can shop in bulk to save them $$.

Plus I can prep any ingredients if needed at home,
nancy

Nancy, can you post that letter?

Teresa Lynn said:
Like Becky, i do it for cumin, rice wine vinegar etc
I am very specific on the ingred when I host coach I type it in bold and in color the brand or type of food needed & if i need it washed, can unopened etc and email it as their grocery list I also go over it on the phone & am very specific..
I'm very specific too - and when we are talking about their grocery list, I always let them know that I am willing to do a "walk through the grocery store" with them. I've had MANY hosts call me while they were shopping for ingredients so that I can, over the phone, guide them to the right ingredients! :D It's usually pretty fun to do that - creates another thread in that friendship bond with my hosts!

ok..I think I figured out how to add the note-

Its really nothing spectacular.

Nancy
lets see if it worked

Attachments

• host ingedient note.doc
    21 KB · Views: 192
ok- here is my note-

its nothing spectaular

nancy

Attachments

• host ingedient note.doc
    21 KB · Views: 385
I also buy the ingrediants and have the host reimburse me. I've been surprised one too many times with wrong or missing items. Besides, it leaves the decision up to me as to what to substitute if something I want/need isn't available.

I explain to my hosts up front that I will do the shopping for them and will give them the receipt for reimbursement. I say it's a service I provide so they have one less thing to stress out about for their show because I want them to have as much fun as their guests. My hosts love it!

Thanks for all the helpful hints. I will be trying the reimbursement avenue for my next show since my last few shows I got the "surprise" ingredients.

I think I may try this as well. I've had 2 shows where they didn't get the right thing. Once I got lost in the way so was late and had no time to go get the right item (don't try making the Strawberry Amaretto Pastries with phyllo dough) the other I had time to go get the right ingredient but then it was still frozen solid. It worked out but still, a little frustrating and didn't go as smoothly. I don't think I would say "send me the $15 check" though because what if the ingredients cost more or less? And, alot of times they already have some of the ingredients. So I would probably go over the ingredients list, ask if they have anything already, offer to bring my own ingredients for items you need small amounts for (oil, spices, etc. if they don't have it themselves) and then making my own shopping list for what they don't have. Then have them reimburse me the total whenever (either before, at or after the show, probably depending on how well I know the host and trust they will come through with it).

Oh, and has anyone ever had a host say they'd rather buy the ingredients themselves instead of you buying them and getting reimbursed so they can chose the quality/cost of the ingredients they get?

mrshamel3808 said:
Oh, and has anyone ever had a host say they'd rather buy the ingredients themselves instead of you buying them and getting reimbursed so they can chose the quality/cost of the ingredients they get?

I've had two hosts do this, only becasue they only ate organic foods. I chose a couple salad recipes for them to choose from because I felt that they would work best. Most of my hosts like that I shop and bring the ingredients with me. I am also able to dangle some "carrots" that way as well, like have $200 in outside orders before the show and the ingredients are free or have $500 in sales at your show and the ingredients are free. That's worked for a few hosts that needed a little more coaching than others.

I like the note nancy but I changed it up.

Attachments

• host_ingredient_note.doc
    25.5 KB · Views: 389
Most of the time I pick up the ingredients for the host simply because I like to do as much prep work before the show as I can. I also like to make certain that I have what I prefer to cook with.
Most of my hosts will offer to reimburse me but I usually tell them not to worry about it. I like to think that they will remember this extra touch when they hear someone mention PC and that they will bring up my name.

I take the ingredients. It is part of the service I offer to my hosts, plus the write off at the end of the year really helped last year.
My host for tonight's show has gone on and on about how she loves this service. She was going to book a show with another consultant just to help her friend sometime back, and she is amazed at the difference in service. I think the word of mouth and the bookings I get from this definitely make up for the investment.
I also do one recipe for each month, so I bargain and coupon shop for the ingredients. And of course I always know I have what I need.

That's a good point! If you're doing one or two recipes a month, then you can probably save money for the hosts because you don't have to have them all buy a new item if it lasts for more than one recipe! I'm going to start chosing 3 recipes for hosts choose from (depending on time of day, meal, appetizer or dessert) next month.

I've done this both ways and, for me, it has worked better when I buy the ingredients myself as a service to my host. At every show the host has commented that hosting was so easy, all he/she had to do was invite people. This really has gotten me a lot of extra bookings because people know they have one less thing to do for the show.

Since I do pretty much the same one or two shows in a month, I can shop for both and hit the sales. The most I've ever spent was $12 or $13.

i have the host reimburse me at my shows. it works well and i always have all the right ingredients. i have them pay whatever i spent normally $10 - $12 and i tell them that pampered chef gives them the extra $15 for a cooking show. so they are making a few dollars and not having to go to the store.....

I was doing it too. I would buy and pay for then write off the ingredients. However, I am in very strong contention that I have to stop doing this. So, I will still shop but I get $15 from my hosts. The only way it really pays off to pay yourself is if the show is over $300. Other wise you are too close to breaking even. And with the summer months coming up, I usually get a lot of little parties, not big ones so...

Wow - I'm amazed at how many people do the shopping.

On the other side of the coin - I tried it, and it was a pain! I'd forget to collect payment, or I'd be rushing last minute to make a trip to the store, or I would forget something in my refrigerator at home. (I know - you more organized types probably would never do this...but I'm a "by the seat of my pants" type of gal!)
Soooo, like I said in a previous post - I provide certain ingredients that I know will be iffy - Parmesan, Garlic, and things that are more obscure like White Wine Vinegar....
I do however, often talk my hosts through the Grocery Store over the phone. I make sure they KNOW what they need to purchase, and then I let them know that if they have any question about it while shopping to give me a call, and I'll guide them over the phone. It seems to work!:D

I do not do the shopping for my hosts, unless it is a fundraiser cooking show (I tell them you shouldn't have to spend $$ to make $$ for your fundraiser!) or a promo where I've offered/raffled off a free cooking show. For those few occasions throughout the year I write those off for taxes.

I approach it with my hosts this way- during the first host coaching call we discuss recipe options and I provide them with an ingredient list. I explain to them that all they have to do is pickup the ingredients, and as a thank you PC immediately gives them $15 in free product. They all say "wow!" and I reply "I know, right! That's a great deal, because none of our recipes cost $15 to make!!"

At our final call before the show, when I ask how many people are expected to attend, etc., I say "do you have all the ingredients for your show?" If they say no, or they are going tomorrow, etc. I will say "be sure to get a wedge of parmesan cheese, not pre-grated, or be sure to get arborio rice." I tell everyone if there is anything you realize you've forgotten last minute give me a ring and I will be happy to pick it up on my way to your show!

As far as the "surprise" ingredients, it's happened to me many times. You know what? I joke with the host and the guests and we roll with the punches! I've never had an absolute disaster of a recipe... yet. And if we did... we joke and laugh throughout the entire show, they would still have a good time. There is only so much control you can have...

I try to keep my expenses as low as possible and it's just not realistic for me to shop for my hosts, and I would not feel comfortable at all asking for them to reimburse me. I might be ok with giving them the option- either you can shop or I can shop and you can reimburse me, but I would not make it as a standard practice to shop and ask the host to reimburse me.

I have always purchased the ingredients, I occasionally ask a host to pick up a block of cheese or a couple of products to demo but I usually have the recipe 1/2 done before I arrive at the hosts house.

I too pick up the ingredients for the host because I do a lot of prep work before the show. I don't want them watching me chop up several chicken breasts when they got the idea of how wonderful the food chopper was on the first one. I try to keep my shows informative but brief so everyone can relax and have a good evening of fun!

I do forget to collect the cash for it sometimes, but if it is a large show... no worries!

I buy my own ingredients..for 2 reasons..1 because I have had some people get the wrong stuff..and it was harder to do the recipe..it was doable..but..not as easy..and the other reason is because there are some things that you need to buy in a larger amount..however..you only need a small amount for the recipe..so..that is why I buy the ingredients myself..

I have always had the host purchase the ingredients. I am very specific about what they need to get. I have had a few situations where husbands had to run to the store, but I have no plans to start shopping for the ingredients myself. :)

I mentioned earlier that I would start charging my hosts the $15 for the ingredients. Well, never happened. I totally forget to ask. And you know what, I too can buy in bulk as I try to stick to the same recipes for several months. So how do you charge them for 1/3 of a bottle of ketchup or better yet, 24 olives! So I write it off like I have for 7 years. No biggy and yep, it is much easier for me as then I know I have what I need. No surprises, no mix ups, no fuss, no muss.
I also totally agree with my post under Do you pay for postage. If I am going to offer the service, I pay for the service. I want their CONTINUED business and LOYALTY. Not the $15. Having a stable, (don't go there!), clientel makes me more money in the long run so...

I'm in the middle right now. Currently, I"m at the end of a promotion I did to get my booking going (free cooking show)...so I've been providing the ingredients. It's made it simpler for me in that I knew I had what I needed, HOWEVER, I end up taking 1-2 extra bags of food Depending on how much is needed - so that is a pain. I don't mind doing the shopping- because I figure, if it's a hassle for me to find an ingredient, or just going to the store, then it's going to be more so for my host and if she forgets, I'm up a creek and I'm not very good at winging it- yet. (still new at live shows...only 5 under my belt).

I'm contemplating some format changes to shorten my show and engage the group more. (1) I want to basically prep as MUCH as I can of the recipe as possible- even assembled if need be. My last couple of shows- people seem to care less about what I'm doing for that recipe, as they do about products. And they aren't $$$ products they ask about. So I'd rather make the recipe ahead, pop it in to bake and then just quickly talk about what I did for the recipe and focus on the products featured, and then do simple demos (like a potato show) or just talk about the products of my choosing (I'm thinking about a workshop I heard David Meenan & Feriale Yan (sp?) give). Plus, I can't talk and cook at the same time!! and I can't get people to help....bumps on a log (old PC-going crowds- they aren't very receptive to having to DO the cooking :D).

and (2) My other problem and possible solution- hosts keep wanting something OTHER than what I'm cooking on my Menu. I've got a menu of 2 items per category, plus 2 themes...a decent selection IMHO! They ask me to do something else, and some I've never cooked. I do my best to accomodate, but I want to take back control. So I'm thinking I'll make up my menu based on the Budget-Friendly recipes (to help MY costs) and Theme Shows PC has. If the hosts picks one of MY selection, I'll provide the ingredients/shopping. But if they want something else, they'll get a shopping list from me for the ingredients and they can do it. :D I'll word it nicer than that of course, but you get the idea. Do it my way or you pay for it yourself! *hehe*.

My director buys the food and asks the hosts for the $15 when she closes the show.

1. What ingredients are needed for the show recipe?

The ingredients needed for the show recipe will be listed on the recipe card provided at the show. You can also find a list of ingredients on our website or by contacting your Pampered Chef consultant.

2. Can I substitute any of the ingredients for the show recipe?

Yes, you can definitely make substitutions for any ingredients that you may not have or prefer not to use. Our recipes are designed to be flexible and customizable to your personal taste.

3. Do I need to purchase the ingredients beforehand?

It is recommended to purchase the ingredients beforehand to ensure that you have everything you need for the cooking show. However, if you are unable to do so, your Pampered Chef consultant may have some extra ingredients on hand for you to use.

4. Are the ingredients for the show recipe included in the cost of the show?

No, the cost of the ingredients is not included in the show fee. However, your Pampered Chef consultant can provide you with a breakdown of the cost for each ingredient used in the show recipe.

5. Can I purchase the ingredients from Pampered Chef?

Yes, you can purchase all of the ingredients used in the show recipe from Pampered Chef. Your consultant can help you place an order for any ingredients you may need.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• MrsNetNut404
  • Pampered Chef Shows
Replies
Views
pampered1224
  • bakinwithbacon
  • Pampered Chef Shows
Replies
Views
Admin Greg
Replies