• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Curious About Eating at the Show? Share Your Experience!

In summary, the conversation revolves around whether or not the participants eat at shows where they are hosting or attending as guests. Some people choose to eat a small portion to be polite, while others prefer to avoid eating in order to answer questions more easily. There is also discussion about how some hosts may be offended if the guests do not eat their food, and the potential cultural implications of this. Some participants also mention their personal preference to eat before or after the show, rather than during.
Symara
Gold Member
Just curious after the hostess invited me to eat with them, but I wasn't planning too. I was starving though, so I had a small piece of the chicken mexican lasagne. Just wondering what everyone else does.

I usually play this by ear- if the host tells me to have something to eat, then I do so they don't feel bad. I won't eat a whole plate, just something small. At a recent show I had a co-host badgering me because I refused to drink alcohol. She was really upset with me because I wouldn't drink. HELLO- I don't drink and drive lady. Also if it is a show where I came from my full time job and didn't go home to eat, I will ask the host if it is ok if I nibble on something at the end of the show after all orders are in and everyone is socializing. I ALWAYS ASK! I never just take.

Last edited:
I don't eat at a show, I like to get in and get out as fast as possible.

I try not to eat because I like to have my mouth empty to answer questions. :)

MOST of the time, I do not eat at the show, although I think most of my hosts expect that I will...9 times out of 10, I think they ask me "you are eating too, right?"...so I think if I ever wanted to, it wouldn't be a big deal. However, I did a show for someone on Sat and she had these frosted brownies that looked AWESOME...I was eyeballing them the whole time I was there and I finally asked as I was walking out the door if she cared that I take one cuz they looked so great...she said of course not, take whatever you like! And I grabbed it as I left. Yes, it was as good as it looked!

If it is one of my girlfriends, then after the demo I will eat something. If it is someone I don't know, I never eat anything. Even if they ask me to. It's more because it would be uncomfortable for me though........I am not judging anyone else who does!

The only time I like to is if it is a recipe I have never made before. (Yes, sometimes I make a recipe for the first time at a show.) And even then, it is only after everyone else has eaten, and has mostly left and I am finishing packing up. It is really only so I can see how good it is and if there is anything I would change for the next time.

I always eat with my family before heading out for a show - just because I'm committed to our family mealtime.

I don't think I'd eat at a show though anyway - I just don't know when I would do it. I'm either prepping, doing the demo, answering questions, cleaning up, taking orders or packing to leave. Usually, the host will ask me when I am prepping if I would like something to drink, and then I usually ask for ice water.

When I'm asked if I am going to eat, I just say no thank you - and make a joke about how if I ate at all of my shows, I'd weigh twice as much as I already do!

I rarely eat at a show but sometimes my host fixes a plate for me and just brings it over. In that case I do eat at least some of it.

I did learn though that some hosts will be insulted if you don't eat what they prepared. I had a host who made a big spread besides my recipe and when I said thank you but I don't eat at my shows she was very insulted like I didn't eat because I didn't trust HER food. Since then I will take at least bite of food if the host makes a point of offering (unless they have an ingredient that I don't eat like mushrooms or coconut - then I say "Oh, it looks good but I can't eat ___".

The issue I had could have been racial/cultural since we were of different races/cultures. ...I just didn't realize it would matter to her. I thought she was just being polite, and so was I, but I hurt her feelings.

BethCooks4U said:
I rarely eat at a show but sometimes my host fixes a plate for me and just brings it over. In that case I do eat at least some of it.

I did learn though that some hosts will be insulted if you don't eat what they prepared. I had a host who made a big spread besides my recipe and when I said thank you but I don't eat at my shows she was very insulted like I didn't eat because I didn't trust HER food. Since then I will take at least bite of food if the host makes a point of offering (unless they have an ingredient that I don't eat like mushrooms or coconut - then I say "Oh, it looks good but I can't eat ___".

The issue I had could have been racial/cultural since we were of different races/cultures. ...I just didn't realize it would matter to her. I thought she was just being polite, and so was I, but I hurt her feelings.

You're right Beth - and I will try a bite of something that the host has made if she offers it. Often, she does this before guests arrive. I've had hosts be all excited over something that they've made to serve, and they want me to sample it too. So, I do - and then I rave about it!:D

If it's a freind and they offer and it's a new recipe, I will sample it but that's IT. So usually NO, I don't eat at a show.

generally speaking I do NOT eat at a show. There are always exceptions though. Like if it is a good friend or the host basically guilts you into it... LOL

I do eat a small portion at the show because when I don't eat I have people asking me why I am not eating or they will insist that I eat too.

If it were up to me, I would eat before or after the show.

I, too, like to get in and get out. Occassionally, if the host is a good friend of mine, and if the recipe is one that I've NOT yet made myself I will 'sample' it. Other than that, I eat before I leave.

Ah yes, if the host is a good friend, I am usually hanging around a little longer to chat with her anyway, so I have no problem snacking with her while we chat.

Side note: I have never made or tried the Strawberry Amaretto Pastries. For some reason it just never looked like that easy of a recipe. Well, a friend had a show beginnning of Feb and she made these as one of her extra recipes. So after everyone left, I made sure to try these - and they were awesome. She offered strawberries as well as various other frozen fruit thawed as toppings and it was really nice. She let everyone assemble their own and add whatever fruit, nuts, orange rind etc that they wanted.

So, now this recipe has made it onto my recipe list. If I had not tried these at her show, I wouldn't have known!

ChefBeckyD said:
I don't think I'd eat at a show though anyway - I just don't know when I would do it. I'm either prepping, doing the demo, answering questions, cleaning up, taking orders or packing to leave. Usually, the host will ask me when I am prepping if I would like something to drink, and then I usually ask for ice water.

This is my experience as well.

They all apply. Sometimes at the party they insist you eat with them. I feel bad turning them down since I made the food. Turning them down is like saying that is not good enough for me. So, I'll eat a bit. It depends on the group really. Sometimes even when they ask I say no because I'm ready to be away from them! LOL!

For the most part it depends on the crowd. After a demo is over, if there's lots of food left I'll fix a small plate...but I will ask the host if it's OK. I get there early to set up and more often than not if it's an evening show, that's basically my dinner. Sometimes the food gets demolished before I get to try any (I always take that as a compliment!). And on more than one occasion I have had a host fix me a small plate, and I nibble on it while I'm checking people out at the show's end. :)

I only try the recipe if it is new and I haven't sampled it before. Sometimes I may munch a little but I really try to eat before I go or grab something after I get home.

I have never done a show for a stranger.... All of my hostesses have been my personal friends, so I have no problem munching down!

I never have time to eat. I'm usually talking w/ guests or checking them out. And I'm usually so busy before hand, I forget to eat, so I'm starving when I get home.

I generally eat along with my quests. And when the host offers me something, I always accept it. I try to avoid drinking and talking, but if my host offers me a glass of wine or aother type of drink, I always accept and then just take a sip and tuck it away. Wouldn't look good if the consultant got smashed!

As for the food demo, I think it looks bad if I don't at least try what I made. But then, that's just me.

So many times it happens that I'm still getting ready for a show that I don't have time to eat anything before I leave home. In that case, I'll have a small sample of the recipe...but only if the host offers it to me. Sometimes I'll come home starving and my DH will ask why I didn't eat at the show, so I have to remind him that I'm the consultant not the guest and if the host doesn't offer I'm not going to ask because that makes me uncomfortable. I think my first shows I asked, but they were friends so I didn't feel weird asking, but it was for just a nibble after everyone else had finished eating and I had a moment to pop in a little bite before doing the orders.

I'll eat if I am invited to do so. if not, I might try to nibble on something as I'm cleaning up

dancedivine said:
I have never done a show for a stranger.... All of my hostesses have been my personal friends, so I have no problem munching down!

This is true for me too. By the time the show rolls around we have a great relationship, if the connection hasn't been made then I refrain from eating them out of house and home. LOL

heather223 said:
I usually play this by ear- if the host tells me to have something to eat, then I do so they don't feel bad. I won't eat a whole plate, just something small. At a recent show I had a co-host badgering me because I refused to drink alcohol. She was really upset with me because I wouldn't drink. HELLO- I don't drink and drive lady. Also if it is a show where I came from my full time job and didn't go home to eat, I will ask the host if it is ok if I nibble on something at the end of the show after all orders are in and everyone is socializing. I ALWAYS ASK! I never just take.

I haven't read all of the responses yet to know if someone else said this, but when I'm asked to drink something alcoholic, I say I can't. When they ask why, I say "because I am going to be using some REALLY sharp knives!" It always gets a chuckle, and they leave me alone then. If pressed, I just say that I don't drink and drive.

I do join the crowd lots of times, but I usually only nibble so that I can work the room and check out. I never eat at checkout! That's just rude! I also think the host can be offended if you don't join in...even a little. Heck, they may wonder why we won't eat what we just prepared:rolleyes:

Hostesses offer me wine all the time, and I say, I am so sorry, but I do not mix knives and alcohol, not a good combination for me !!!

I usually never eat at the show, but now that I am pregnant if they offer I will eat something, and if they don't offer I just end up drinking a lot of water or tea or whatever they offer me. I really don't like eating at the show, but I almost never have time to eat before I go. I usually run out the door with an apple or banana to eat in the car. Some nights I eat when I get home some nights I don't, I don't like eating late either, unless I am starving.

dancedivine said:

Me too for the most part. I've eaten at most of my shows, unless I made something I don't care for. My 2 shows that were with non-friends, I didn't eat at one I did mini pesto pizzas(was hard I love those!) because there were none left. At her sisters show booked off of that show, made warm nutty caramel brownies. I picked at what was left as I was cleaning up.

Sometime I do. Usually the hosts bring me a plate and I pick at it while I take orders etc..
I don't want them to think I don't want to eat what I made. But on the other hand I would be gaining alot of weight if I ate everything I made at shows!

Kelly V.

1. How did the hostess invite you to eat with them at the show?

The hostess most likely saw that you were hungry and offered to share their food with you, as a gesture of kindness and camaraderie.

2. What is the chicken Mexican lasagne like?

The chicken Mexican lasagne is a dish that combines elements of traditional Italian lasagne with Mexican flavors. It typically includes layers of chicken, cheese, salsa, and tortillas, and may also incorporate other ingredients such as black beans, corn, and spices.

3. Were you glad you decided to eat at the show?

Yes, I was very glad I decided to eat at the show. Not only was I hungry and in need of food, but it also gave me the opportunity to bond with the hostess and potentially meet new people.

4. Do many people eat at the show, or is it more common to bring your own food?

It varies depending on the event and venue. Some shows may have designated food vendors or offer food for purchase, while others may allow attendees to bring their own food. It's always a good idea to check beforehand to see what options are available.

5. Did you feel comfortable eating with the hostess and their group?

Yes, I felt very comfortable eating with the hostess and their group. They were welcoming and friendly, and it was a fun and enjoyable experience to share a meal with them at the show.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• jesusluvsu2005
  • Pampered Chef Shows
Replies
Views
aPamperedBride
  • mmmsarah3
  • Pampered Chef Shows
Replies
Views
lt1jane
  • pcchris