• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Stop the Hassle: Why I'm Considering No Longer Accepting Checks as Payment

In summary, the guest wrote a check to the host, but did not include the $40 fee for returned checks. The host deposited the check and submitted the order.
chefsolnick
I have been so frustrated with my last 2 parties and people paying me with a check and the bank screwing something up, that then screws me up with my account. I am thinking of not accepting checks as a form of payment anymore. It's just such a hassle!! Anyone done this? Would it be inappropriate of me to do so?

I had three checks bounce on my last party in May and it really really messed me up. I still haven't gotten my money from two of them for over $350!!!! I DEFINITELY will not be accepting guest checks anymore nor will I submit shows again without making sure the checks have completely cleared.

You can choose to run your business any way you want to. I do accept checks. I do encourage my customers to pay with cards, though. I let them know I prefer Visa/MC/AMEX/Discover, but I do also accept cash and checks. Some people (especially other DS consultants) think I have to pay for the fees, so they don't want to put that expense on me.

I do accept checks but this is how I handle them:

I take them to the bank where they are drawn. If I can cash it there, I do.

If I can't, I simply ask them to verify that the check is good at this time.

If the bank is out of my way (this happens very rarely, I live and work in an area that has most major banks) I call the bank to verify funds.

If my own family will pass a bad check, why not a stranger?

Intrepid_Chef said:
I do accept checks but this is how I handle them:

I take them to the bank where they are drawn. If I can cash it there, I do.

If I can't, I simply ask them to verify that the check is good at this time.

If the bank is out of my way (this happens very rarely, I live and work in an area that has most major banks) I call the bank to verify funds.

If my own family will pass a bad check, why not a stranger?

that seems like a lot of work to me. I take them but they are told up front (I post a sign) I charge a $40 fee for returned checks. And I will file charges if they do not make it good. The law allows this in my state.

I live in a rural area and most people prefer to pay with checks. I actually know quite a few people who don't even have a credit card (not because they can't get one but because they don't trust them). I would have no business without checks.

I accept checks. A lot of people use one credit union in my area and since I use it too the checks clear immediately. So far I have had more problems with credit cards. I almost want to stop taking them because there seems to be an issue almost every other show with a credit card. I am really surprised by the number of people who pay cash. I dont carry much cash so I have to adjust that for shows to be able to make change.

I live in a small rural area and take checks, that is how 90% of my customers pay. So far (fingers crossed) I have had no trouble with bad checks.

If customers want to write checks the have to write them to the host & I ask my host to deposit immediately & I don't submit until their check clears

I am thinking of only accepting credit or debit cards, as cash and checks are an inconvenience for me (who has time to run to the bank and deposit/cash checks!?!), plus, it delays the time it takes for them to get their products. If I get a debit or credit card, it usually goes right through. For people who don't use credit cards, I tell them to use their debit card - most people have a debit card nowadays. I tell them how secure it is on my site, too, and most people feel comfortable with that.Prime example - A lady emailed me a week ago that she wanted the grilling basket, asked for the total and told me she would mail me a check. I told her I would submit her order after I received her check. It's Sat. and I still don't have her check. She could have had her basket by now if I had just suggested a debit/credit card instead!!

Here is how my director and I do business. The guests write the checks to the host. The host keeps the checks and cash. Then the host writes me a check to cover the cash and checks. After I get her check in the mail I close the party.

People are more likely to write a bad check to a stranger than their friend..

This works great!! Never had a bounced check (although I have only done 23 parties so far). My director has done it this way for 5 years.

I feel like people are generally good people and won't knowingly write you a bad cheque. Everyone I've had that's bounced a cheque (like 3 in 5 years) have been great and very embarassed that they wrote a bad cheque. The majority of my customers write cheques and I have way more problems with declined credit cards than cheques.

Shelly Flanagan said:
that seems like a lot of work to me.

Yes, it is ... but I started doing it after some old, senile lady talked me into taking a post-dated check in my Previous Product Line. Since it was still within the time frame I'd be submitting the show, I was OK with it. Then I found out the account was closed and I was charged a $34 fee.

So I tried to call her. No answer. So I went to her apartment complex. "You wrote me a check that was closed." "Of course it was low, I told you to wait until the 3rd of the month." "I did. The account was CLOSED. As in NO LONGER OPEN."

She ended up walking away confused and I was out $50 because this lady didn't throw out her old checks after opening a new account.

It's actually only a few extra steps ... and I ended up booking a show at one bank because of this!

I also offer paypal- it is worth it me to pay their small fees than hassle w/ bounced checks.

1. Can I pay with a personal check?

Yes, we accept personal checks as a form of payment. However, please note that we may require a valid ID and a secondary form of payment as a backup.

2. Do you accept out-of-state checks?

Yes, we accept out-of-state checks. However, please be aware that there may be a hold placed on the check until it clears with the issuing bank.

3. Are there any fees for paying with a check?

No, there are no additional fees for paying with a check. However, if the check bounces or is returned for any reason, you may be responsible for any associated fees.

4. Do you accept business checks?

Yes, we do accept business checks as a form of payment. However, we may require additional verification to ensure the legitimacy of the check.

5. Can I write a post-dated check?

We prefer to receive payment for goods and services at the time of purchase, but we understand that circumstances may require a post-dated check. Please contact us to discuss your specific situation.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• barbara_anne
  • Pampered Chef Finances
Replies
Views
lkbcovington
  • smilesarepriceless
  • Pampered Chef Finances
Replies
Views
DebbieJ
  • yummy4tummy