• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Urgent Do Stoneware Loaf Pans Take Longer to Bake In?

In summary, the conversation is about a person making Amish bread and having trouble with it not cooking fully in the center after being in the oven for an hour. They discuss how long it should take to bake and the possible reasons for the delay, such as using stoneware or not having well-seasoned pans. They also share their past experiences with making the bread and how it has turned out for them. The conversation ends with the hope that the bread will turn out well and the possibility of freezing some of the starter for future use.
kcjodih
Gold Member
I've never really noticed before because 99% of my recipes were already PC ones but I'm finally making the Amish bread tonight and I've had it in the oven for an hour now and it's still VERY gooey (as in not cooked) in the center section. So does it normally take longer in stoneware for loaves? I don't want it to burn and be dried out but I can't take them out yet!

Man, I've waited 17 days (7 days and then the first try went moldy and now day 10 round two) for this darn bread and now this! It BETTER be REAL yummy!

I haven't made it in a long time, so my memory isn't perfect, but I seem to recall that it took FOREVER for it to bake fully. And that was in a glass bread loaf pan. Not sure about how it is in stoneware.

Thanks. It's still in the oven. I had one recipe that said 325 but two others said 350 so I did 1/2 at 325 and 1/2 hour at 350 and now it's back at 325 because the outside is definitely cooked but a huge part of the center isn't! 75 min so far.

Good luck! I hope it turns out well for you. It is so yummy! I wish I had some. I've tried several times over the past couple years and something always goes wrong. I'm jinxed I tell ya. :) One time my husband killed it by putting it on a heat source. Another time it exploded. Another time it sat on my counter and the sun coming through my skylight must have heated it up too much cause it died again. The last time I was so excited. Everything was going great. Then "THE" day arrived for baking and it was a crazy day. I remembered at 9pm that I needed to make it. So I started following the recipe and adding all the ingredients, started mixing it and thought "DOH!" I fogot to do the first part where you add a few things and then split the batter and then proceed. Agg! That's what I get when I try to do things when life is hectic and I'm tired. :) I was so sad that I didn't get to eat it.

And I thought I had it bad having to wait 17 days! You poor thing! How long ago were all these attempts? I'd say try again! Mine is finally out -took a total of 80 minutes for the two loaves and my oven is less than a year old! Smells and looks yummy though, hopefully it'll taste just as good. I think I'm going to freeze two batches of the starter and 'start' on the third one. I didn't let anyone know I was making this so I don't want to just start 'dumping' on my friends without a heads up :D

Thanks for your encouragement Amanda! If you lived closer I'd bring you a loaf!

Aww, shucks! That's so sweet :) The thought of eating it makes me want to dig out my recipe book and try again!

It was probably 2 or 3 years ago that I had the 3 in a row failed attempts. Then it was just several months ago now in our new house, new neighborhood that a neighbor/friend gave me one. I was so excited and shared with her all my previous failed attempts. We were both eagerly anticipating eating this yummy bread. Then I messed it up really bad, as I mentioned before, by adding the ingredients before dividing up the batter. -sigh- I was so embarrassed to tell my friend of my catastrophe.

I have found that they take longer in the stone loaf pans but as my pans get more seasoned it seems to be closer to the hour cook time listed. HTH

Geekgirl69 said:
I have found that they take longer in the stone loaf pans but as my pans get more seasoned it seems to be closer to the hour cook time listed. HTH

Ahhh, so maybe that's it! My loaf pans are the ONLY ones not seasoned well yet. I've had them 3 years and probably only use them 3 times a year for banana bread so that would be approx. 9 times total. And of course banana bread really doesn't season them well; they're still quite 'beige' in color. Now my 3 bar pans however are black, black, black and I've had them 6 years, 4 years and 3 years and they're ALL black.

Thanks for the input, makes sense!

Yeah I definitely think that's it. The first time I used the loaf pans for AFB they were brand new (it's the reason I bought the loaf pans) and it did feel like they were taking FOREVER. But they came out so awesome it was worth the wait.

1. How much longer does it take to bake in a stoneware loaf pan compared to a metal one?

The baking time may vary slightly depending on the recipe, but on average, it can take 5-10 minutes longer to bake in a stoneware loaf pan.

2. Do I need to adjust the oven temperature when using a stoneware loaf pan?

Yes, it is recommended to decrease the oven temperature by 25 degrees Fahrenheit when using a stoneware loaf pan. This will prevent the bread from over-browning on the outside while still cooking evenly on the inside.

3. Can I use a stoneware loaf pan in a convection oven?

Yes, stoneware can be used in a convection oven. However, the baking time may be slightly shorter, so keep an eye on your bread to prevent over-browning.

4. Do I need to preheat a stoneware loaf pan before using it?

Yes, it is recommended to preheat the stoneware loaf pan before adding your bread dough. This will ensure even baking and prevent the loaf from sticking to the pan.

5. How do I clean and care for my stoneware loaf pan?

Stoneware loaf pans should be hand washed with warm, soapy water. Avoid using harsh chemicals or metal scrubbers, as they can damage the pan's surface. Allow the pan to cool completely before cleaning and avoid sudden temperature changes to prevent cracking. With proper care, stoneware loaf pans can last for many years.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• HeatherP19
  • Pampered Chef Support Group
Replies
Views
Admin Greg
  • straitfan
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
Staci
  • pcgogetter