• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Deciding Whether to Send My Child to School with a Cold: Swine Flu Scare

In summary, DS woke up with a fever, and lots of head congestion, sore throat, etc....he had a fever most of the day, but was alot better when I put him to bed last night. He is still sleeping right now, but I have to get him up in about 15 minutes to get ready for school. Yesterday, DS woke up with a fever, and lots of head congestion, sore throat, etc....he had a fever most of the day, but was alot better when I put him to bed last night. He is still sleeping right now, but I have to get him up in about 15 minutes to get ready for school. Keep him home.
ChefBeckyD
Gold Member
Yesterday, DS woke up with a fever, and lots of head congestion, sore throat, etc....he had a fever most of the day, but was alot better when I put him to bed last night. He is still sleeping right now, but I have to get him up in about 15 minutes to get ready for school.

There are at least 5 area schools closed for the week because of the Swine Flu scare...his isn't one of them, but I'm concerned that if I send him, the mob mentality will take over, and I'll have a bunch of panicked parents coming after me for sending him to school with what is probably just a cold....

So, I have a short window of time to decide if I should send him to school....

Keep him home. It won't hurt him to miss one day of school. He's probably not completely over what he had, yesterday, as well. Plus, if he's showing any of these symptoms at school, you'll probably be getting a call, anyway.

keep him home-

I'd say keep him home too. He'll get better faster, and if he goes and the fever comes back, I think you're right, everyone will panic.

Without the fever, I'd say it's just a cold, send him, but I think you have to play it safe...

I hope he feels better soon!

I'd just let him sleep and see how he is when he wakes up on his own. His little body might still be fighting something and need rest. I would probably end up keeping him home, though, since it sounds like he was pretty sick yesterday.

babywings76 said:
I'd just let him sleep and see how he is when he wakes up on his own. His little body might still be fighting something and need rest. I would probably end up keeping him home, though, since it sounds like he was pretty sick yesterday.

Yeah - I just went in and peeked at him, and he is sleeping heavily - not restless or moving like he's close to waking up, so I'm just going to let him sleep. I was leaning towards keeping him home...DH thinks he should go to school.

Oh - and it's 4 schools now that are closed, the other one is opening back up today.

Good call. Besides, you can always take him in late if he's super better, but it's unusual to feel that much better the next day. Many places say they have to be w/o fever for 24 hours too. Not our school, but I think other schools around here.

The rule with our school is fever free for 24 hours before returning to school and they consider 100 a fever. Keep him home...you would hate for him to pass illness on to others.

missyciccolella said:
The rule with our school is fever free for 24 hours before returning to school and they consider 100 a fever. Keep him home...you would hate for him to pass illness on to others.

Our schools have the same rule.

I'm glad you decided to keep him home, he needs the extra rest. Missing a few days in preschool won't scar him for life :)

Fever-free for 24 hours makes them not contagious... You never know if what he has is simply a cold (which isn't contagious) or something else...

I always used the 24 hr rule, too. That's what my childhood dr told Mother to do. Unfortunately, our schools didn't have any "rules", so my kiddos rarely got the perfect attendance awards, while the ones who spread the germs did!

We now have a confirmed case of Swine Flu in my county. At a private school that's not too far away from me and one that some of my neighbors and friends kids attend - it's also a church where many of my friends attend. I haven't really paid much attention to this whole swine flu thing, but now that it's so close to home, I'm much more cautious and attentive....and nervous.

I've been keeping my 5 yr. old home today and will again tomorrow. He's had fever and sore throat all weekend. Gonna take him to docs tomorrow. I'm also afraid to send him to school and then them just send him home. That and we only have 1 car tomorrow, so I wouldn't be able to get him. No piggy flu confirmed here yet, but I don't wanna be the 1st. We just have MRCA confirmed in our school.

1. Can I send my child to school if they are feeling sick?

No, it is important to keep your child home if they are feeling sick. This not only helps prevent the spread of illness to other students and teachers, but also allows your child to rest and recover.

2. Should I send my child to school if they have a fever?

No, if your child has a fever, it is best to keep them home until they are fever-free for at least 24 hours without the use of fever-reducing medication. This helps prevent the spread of illness and allows your child to fully recover.

3. What if my child has a minor cold or cough?

If your child has a minor cold or cough, it is ultimately up to your discretion whether or not to send them to school. If they are able to participate in school activities and are not showing any other symptoms of illness, it may be okay to send them. However, if they are not feeling well enough to participate or are showing signs of a more serious illness, it is best to keep them home.

4. How do I know if my child is too sick to go to school?

If your child is experiencing any of the following symptoms, it is recommended to keep them home from school: fever, vomiting, diarrhea, severe cough, difficulty breathing, or a rash. Use your judgement and if you are unsure, consult with your child's doctor.

5. Can my child return to school after being sick?

It is important to follow the guidelines set by your child's school or local health department for when it is safe for your child to return to school after being sick. In most cases, your child should be fever-free for at least 24 hours without the use of fever-reducing medication before returning to school.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• ChefBeckyD
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
ChefBeckyD
Replies
Views
3RingChef
Replies
Views
scottcooks