• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Discover the Benefits of an Herb Keeper: Does it Work?

There's even a little line at the bottom to show you how much to fill it!I have a hard time keeping the small container on the tall one, and the lid doesn't fit the tall one. I was a bit disappointed with the product myselfThe lid doesn't fit the tall one?The lid doesn't fit the tall one?
dancedivine
Hey, guys!

I was just wondering if you could tell me what's so special about the herb keeper? Does it really work better than your standard tupperware container? If so, why?

Thanks!

I love it for fresh herbs like cilantro or something like asparagus. Helps to keep it alive much longer!

But, does the herb keeper do anything special that a cheapo rubbermaid/ tupperware container won't do? I'm trying to figure out why it's special... Thanks!

It's tall to keep the herbs up right. Plus it has the chopping lid with measurements.

dancedivine said:
But, does the herb keeper do anything special that a cheapo rubbermaid/ tupperware container won't do? I'm trying to figure out why it's special... Thanks!

it is just the ideal shape/size for keeping your herbs, asparagus, and celery fresh. Plus there is the lid and the smaller cup with measurements make it fabulous! I love the idea of snipping the herbs right in the smaller part of the herb keeper

dancedivine said:
I don't know why, but it really does work better. I had tried just about every suggestion and product out there to keep cilantro from turning into a slimy mess in 48 to 72 hours. The Herb Keeper kept it fresh as new for about 2 weeks. I could probably have been longer, but I needed to clean out the Herb Keeper to take it to a show.Just be sure to change the water every couple of days.

raebates said:
I don't know why, but it really does work better. I had tried just about every suggestion and product out there to keep cilantro from turning into a slimy mess in 48 to 72 hours. The Herb Keeper kept it fresh as new for about 2 weeks. I could probably have been longer, but I needed to clean out the Herb Keeper to take it to a show.

Just be sure to change the water every couple of days.

:eek: What? You're supposed to put it in water! OMG! I am so stupid! I always just put the cilantro in there as is.... water! :blushing:

dancedivine said:

In what world is tupperware cheap? I've never been to a show but I ordered from a friend doing a catalog show and didn't think their items were cheap - now mind you there were only a few things I actually considered expensive but the shipping was outrageous. I mean, it's plastic bowls for the love of monkeys!

ChefPaulaB said:
:eek: What? You're supposed to put it in water! OMG! I am so stupid! I always just put the cilantro in there as is.... water! :blushing:

There's even a little line at the bottom to show you how much to fill it!

I have a hard time keeping the small container on the tall one, and the lid doesn't fit the tall one. I was a bit disappointed with the product myself

You got a dud. Mine fits beautifully.

Ok, so the water is the key! That makes a ton of sense..... Thanks for that little bit of insight. :)

pcsharon1 said:
-snippage-... I mean, it's plastic bowls for the love of monkeys!
:thumbup:LOL!!!

I loooooove the herb keeper. I have kep cilantro and parsley fresh for over a MONTH in it. just treat it like fresh flowers- change out the water and trim the ends.

troggt said:
I have a hard time keeping the small container on the tall one, and the lid doesn't fit the tall one. I was a bit disappointed with the product myself

I wonder if you put it in the dishwasher if it would fit better, kind of like the lids on the pineapple wedger... just a thought....

The amount of money I have wasted on cilantro is a travesty! The herb keeper (when I remember to put the stuff in it) is FANTASTIC! The problem is the remembering to do it as soon as I get home, otherwise, I forget about it and go to use my cilantro only to find a bag of green mush!

I actually have two herb keepers. I use the other one for asparagus, when it is in season. It works wonderfully with that too!

Here is what I do with cilantro.

I chop the whole bunch at once, and then I lay it out on parchment on a cookie sheet and stick it in the freezer. Once it's frozen (just takes a few minutes) I measure it out in 1/4 cups and put it in snack bags. I put all of the snack bags in a quart sized freezer bag labeled "cilantro".

I also do this with parsley, and mint, and other fresh herbs.

I've (or others in this household) knocked over the herb keeper one too many times and spilled water all over. I've tried to love it, but I just can't.

ChefBeckyD said:

I chop the whole bunch at once, and then I lay it out on parchment on a cookie sheet and stick it in the freezer. Once it's frozen (just takes a few minutes) I measure it out in 1/4 cups and put it in snack bags. I put all of the snack bags in a quart sized freezer bag labeled "cilantro".

I've (or others in this household) knocked over the herb keeper one too many times and spilled water all over. I've tried to love it, but I just can't.

So, I'm always a little confused on fresh herbs... I have never really used them until I started with PC... you say that you chop the whole bunch at once... do you strip the leaves off first or chop the stems along with. I have heard that with cilantro you use the stems too, but I'm always a little nervous about it and I sit there and strip all of those little stems... am I wasting my time? And by the way, I sooo love this tip! Freezing in individual servings is an awesome idea! Thank you! And since I've never used the herb keeper correctly, it hasn't been that great for me... of course, if I'd known about the water part... I know I should've read the directions... I usually do... IDK! :blushing:

ChefPaulaB said:
So, I'm always a little confused on fresh herbs... I have never really used them until I started with PC... you say that you chop the whole bunch at once... do you strip the leaves off first or chop the stems along with. I have heard that with cilantro you use the stems too, but I'm always a little nervous about it and I sit there and strip all of those little stems... am I wasting my time? And by the way, I sooo love this tip! Freezing in individual servings is an awesome idea! Thank you! And since I've never used the herb keeper correctly, it hasn't been that great for me... of course, if I'd known about the water part... I know I should've read the directions... I usually do... IDK! :blushing:

I chop the leaves and the stems (I cut off the bottom stems, though) for cilantro. I do the same thing for parsley. Fresh Rosemary, Thyme, and Tarragon I usually just break off little stalks of it and use it like that - I don't even bother chopping. I just remove it before eating. :chef:

ChefBeckyD said:
I chop the leaves and the stems (I cut off the bottom stems, though) for cilantro. I do the same thing for parsley. Fresh Rosemary, Thyme, and Tarragon I usually just break off little stalks of it and use it like that - I don't even bother chopping. I just remove it before eating. :chef:

thank you!!!

Another great use for the herb keeper is to lightly coat fish before deep frying, rather than use a zip loc bag.
I also have a consultant who cooks her chicken tenders for BBQ Chicken salad and then seasons them by putting them in the herb keeper and our smoky bbq rub to cover. Evenly distributes the rub on the chicken and you don't use as much.

I've actually used mine for celery. When the celery just starts getting limp, I cut it up and put it in the herb keeper with a bit of water. That allows me to use the whole stalk. Again, change water.

ChefBeckyD said:

wow i am a goober i LOVE fresh herbs and never thought of freezing....and to think of all i have wasted. Thanks!!

1. How does the herb keeper keep herbs fresh?

The herb keeper uses a unique water reservoir system to keep herbs hydrated and fresh for longer periods of time. The water reservoir creates a humid environment that prevents wilting and browning of herbs.

2. Can I use the herb keeper for all types of herbs?

Yes, the herb keeper is designed to work with all types of herbs, including delicate herbs like cilantro and parsley. It can also be used for storing green onions and asparagus.

3. How often do I need to change the water in the herb keeper?

The water in the herb keeper should be changed every 3-5 days, depending on the freshness of the herbs. It is important to regularly check the water level and refill as needed to ensure maximum freshness.

4. Is the herb keeper dishwasher safe?

Yes, the herb keeper is dishwasher safe for easy cleaning. However, we recommend hand washing for best results and to prolong the lifespan of the product.

5. How long can I keep herbs in the herb keeper?

The herb keeper can keep herbs fresh for up to 2 weeks, depending on the type of herb and freshness. It is best to use the herbs within this time frame for maximum flavor and freshness.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• pampchefsarah
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
kkimpinski
  • wadesgirl
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
pattikake
  • cookingwithlove