• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Preparing for My First Cooking Show at Home!

In it goes ALL of the product I'm using for the recipe. my consultant tote gets any extra product i maybe taking, tool turnabout in it's bag, paperwork bag, and laptop. As we use the products I put them back in the rubbermaid tote along with any trash and at the end tie up the bag so nothing spills on the way home. Once I get home that and my laptop are the only things that NEED carried in.I always wash as I go and pass it along to the guest to handle/touch the product. My bag is always packed and ready to go for the next show....I used to bring my dirty dishes home
Monty060609
1st of all, I haven't done a cooking show yet and my 1st one will be at my house.

But when you do a show at someones house what do you do with the dirty dishes? I know that most of our products can go into the dishwasher but you can't hang out after a show waiting for the dishwasher cycle to end. Do you take them home with you? Should I pack a separate dirty dishes bag?

I have just started doing this & it seems to work well.

I have a rubbermaid tote that I carry my paperwork bag in. I also toss in a black garbage bag. When I get to the party, I take my bag out of the tote & line my tote with the garbage bag. During the demo, I throw all trash & dirty dishes into the tote. I use the space in my big black new consultant bag to pack my paperwork bag back home.

I bring a p chef reusable bag, inside it is a paper bag lined with a plastic bag. As I use the products, I talk about them and then put them in the bag. The only things that I might wash at the host's house are the cutting board, stone (if it is cool) and the forged cutlery. I find that if I wash anything at their house, it might get mixed up with their items in the sink. It is easier to bring my dirty products home.

I used to bring my dirty dishes home, but when I started doing 2-3 shows a week consistently, I started washing them at the show. I've discovered that I LOVE it this way!

At the end of the show, I let people know the procedure for check-out, and then I tell them to help themselves to the food, while I begin cleaning up - and that I'm available if they have any questions or want to chat about anything. Often, I will have one or more people in the kitchen, helping me wash/dry dishes, and talking about products, etc....it's been a great way to really connect with people. I've booked shows, and sold more product just by washing dishes! I give them a small gift (SB or QK knife) as a thank you for helping, and I go home with clean dishes all packed and ready for the next show. :thumbup:

I have a rubbermaid tote that i line w/ a white kitchen garbage bag. In it goes ALL of the product I'm using for the recipe. my consultant tote gets any extra product i maybe taking, tool turnabout in it's bag, paperwork bag, and laptop. As we use the products I put them back in the rubbermaid tote along with any trash and at the end tie up the bag so nothing spills on the way home. Once I get home that and my laptop are the only things that NEED carried in.

I most of the time wash as I go and pass it along to the guest to handle/touch the porduct. My bag is always packed and ready to go for the next show....

ChefBeckyD said:
I used to bring my dirty dishes home, but when I started doing 2-3 shows a week consistently, I started washing them at the show. I've discovered that I LOVE it this way!

At the end of the show, I let people know the procedure for check-out, and then I tell them to help themselves to the food, while I begin cleaning up - and that I'm available if they have any questions or want to chat about anything. Often, I will have one or more people in the kitchen, helping me wash/dry dishes, and talking about products, etc....it's been a great way to really connect with people. I've booked shows, and sold more product just by washing dishes! I give them a small gift (SB or QK knife) as a thank you for helping, and I go home with clean dishes all packed and ready for the next show. :thumbup:

this is what I do as well. :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

I always wash at the host's house! I do not have time to do them at home and get my kit repacked. I offer demo and non-demo shows. If I do the recipe before the show, I wash all the dishes before the show starts. If we do a demo show then I wash them afterwards (or sometimes the hosts starts washing them before I even know they are doing it!). Sometimes you make make extra conversations with the guests or host while washing dishes.

I prefer to bring them home. I have had some very wonderful hosts do them and usually end up dropping something (clear collar on chopper, pizza cutter; to name a few) and breaking/denting product. I have a very wonderful DH that meets me at the door and he does them when I get home. Hosts should spend time with her guests and not be doing my dishes.

I take them home too in a lined plastic old red crates that we started with then puth them in my dishwasher when i get home
works better than asking some one at the show to wash your dishes

I do them at the host's home. I bring a rubbermaid tote with me, though, just in case. When I go in the host's home, I ask her if it's okay for me to do my dishes there. If her house is a mess and there's no room in the sink, I don't ask...I just go and bring in the plastic tote.I've never had to use the tote though. Most host's welcome me to doing my dishes there. So many times I'll be done w/ the demo and people are chit chatting and eating and taking forever to do their orders. I let them know that I'll just be cleaning up and starting dishes but they can let me know when they are ready to be checked out. This way they don't feel rushed, and don't feel like I'm eavesdropping and hovering over them ready to pounce on their orders.I like to come home and rest...not do dishes. My DH had been watching the kids and the kitchen is usually a mess when I get home, it's bad enough having that to clean, I don't want to have to do more. lol

pkd09 said:
I prefer to bring them home. I have had some very wonderful hosts do them and usually end up dropping something (clear collar on chopper, pizza cutter; to name a few) and breaking/denting product. I have a very wonderful DH that meets me at the door and he does them when I get home. Hosts should spend time with her guests and not be doing my dishes.

chef131doreen said:
I take them home too in a lined plastic old red crates that we started with then puth them in my dishwasher when i get home
works better than asking some one at the show to wash your dishes

I've never asked anyone to do my dishes....I do my dishes, and people come in and start helping ME - we all end up in the kitchen, working together. Working together at the end of the show is a great way to chat and build relationships with the host and her friends. I often book shows then as we are chatting while we work together, and I also will often have people add on to their orders too.
So actually, it works better for me to do it this way than to take them home and have to load my dishwasher at 10pm, and then unload the next day and repack my kit for the next show. ;) (it also saves on my water and electric.)

I prefer to bring my dishes home dirty. I've never had anything broken, but I have had stones submerged in soapy water right after I said that they couldn't be. So I'd rather just do it myself than to deal with damaged products.

I have the roll case. I pack only dishes in there and then in the tote that came with the new consultant kit I have my entire tool turn about (in it's case) and my clipboards. When I'm done with a show, all the paperwork goes back into the open bag and all the dirty dishes go right into the roll case. The inside zips out for easy cleaning. I usually throw the liner in the washing machine, but have been known to just wipe it out with a Lysol wipe when I have 2 shows back to back.

At the show, I put the 8qt stainless steel mixing bowl on the table for them to toss dirty tools into. I've found when guests start carrying stuff to the kitchen, I don't always get out the door with everything. They love the "Rachel Ray" method and don't complain about dropping their trash & used tools into that bowl. After the show, I discard the trash, drain any liquid and then set the SS bowl in the bottom of my roll case with all the dirty tools inside. So far, it's worked GREAT for me.

Oh, I also show the guests how the plastic cases for the Forged Cutlery pop open for easy cleaning & encourage them to put the knives back into the cases dirty ... so that no one gets an accidental cut. It saves the tips of the knives when they toss them into the SS bowl!

Hubby used to do all of my PC dishes when I arrived at home, but he's been super busy & stressed at work lately and being much more lazy around the house. But that's a different post. ;)

It depends on the host. The last couple of times I have done them at the show.

Thanks for all the tips!
I guess I will play it by ear for the first couple of shows to see what works best for me. I like all the ideas that you all have, both the tote and washing there. They both have benefits.
Either way I'll definitely keep an eye on my stoneware so that it doesn't end up in the soapy water (good point Sheila)

Sheila said:
I prefer to bring my dishes home dirty. I've never had anything broken, but I have had stones submerged in soapy water right after I said that they couldn't be. So I'd rather just do it myself than to deal with damaged products.I have the roll case. I pack only dishes in there and then in the tote that came with the new consultant kit I have my entire tool turn about (in it's case) and my clipboards. When I'm done with a show, all the paperwork goes back into the open bag and all the dirty dishes go right into the roll case. The inside zips out for easy cleaning. I usually throw the liner in the washing machine, but have been known to just wipe it out with a Lysol wipe when I have 2 shows back to back.At the show, I put the 8qt stainless steel mixing bowl on the table for them to toss dirty tools into. I've found when guests start carrying stuff to the kitchen, I don't always get out the door with everything. They love the "Rachel Ray" method and don't complain about dropping their trash & used tools into that bowl. After the show, I discard the trash, drain any liquid and then set the SS bowl in the bottom of my roll case with all the dirty tools inside. So far, it's worked GREAT for me.Oh, I also show the guests how the plastic cases for the Forged Cutlery pop open for easy cleaning & encourage them to put the knives back into the cases dirty ... so that no one gets an accidental cut. It saves the tips of the knives when they toss them into the SS bowl! Hubby used to do all of my PC dishes when I arrived at home, but he's been super busy & stressed at work lately and being much more lazy around the house. But that's a different post. ;)
:eek: I did not know that!! That's great to know! Must have missed the 'memo'. :DI too usually just bring my dishes home, but I think I'll play it by ear more. I have one of the old cranberry collapsible PC Crates. I put my dirty dishes in that one, and the clean ones go into my Consultant Tote and extra things (table cloth, apron, papers, etc) go into a Reusable Grocery Bag. Most of the dishes easily get thrown into the dishwasher when I get home, and the 1-2 items that have to be handwashed, I can quickly wash (or soak if needed).
Last weekend's party, I could have easily washed up the couple of dishes while everyone was chatting. I felt like I was just 'lurking'. And only the host's mom and one other guest bought anything!! It's not even a show yet. :(

esavvymom said:
:eek: I did not know that!! That's great to know! Must have missed the 'memo'. :D

I too usually just bring my dishes home, but I think I'll play it by ear more. I have one of the old cranberry collapsible PC Crates. I put my dirty dishes in that one, and the clean ones go into my Consultant Tote and extra things (table cloth, apron, papers, etc) go into a Reusable Grocery Bag. Most of the dishes easily get thrown into the dishwasher when I get home, and the 1-2 items that have to be handwashed, I can quickly wash (or soak if needed).
Last weekend's party, I could have easily washed up the couple of dishes while everyone was chatting. I felt like I was just 'lurking'. And only the host's mom and one other guest bought anything!! It's not even a show yet. :(

When I was first trying to sell my sister on our knives she asked about that. She's a nurse and said she would run a swab on it after a couple of months. Her mouth dropped when I showed her that it popped open!

I like the idea of doing them at hosts homes but I also like the way I do it - in the tote and plastic bag. Makes a demo and our "job" seem like less work when I can just mingle or sit to take orders. I would hate to scare potential hosts off if they thought wow, tote in stuff, cook, talk, clean up! Anyway, JMHO.

dkitten13 said:
I like the idea of doing them at hosts homes but I also like the way I do it - in the tote and plastic bag. Makes a demo and our "job" seem like less work when I can just mingle or sit to take orders. I would hate to scare potential hosts off if they thought wow, tote in stuff, cook, talk, clean up! Anyway, JMHO.

LOL - I'm getting more bookings by washing up at the show! AND I'm signing about 2 a month since June!

ChefBeckyD said:
LOL - I'm getting more bookings by washing up at the show! AND I'm signing about 2 a month since June!

That's enough to convince me!
Plus, sometimes, I'm starting to think it might actually be the reverse as far as scaring off someone- because they have to do the dishes when they get home! By the time I get home, I just want to put my feet up! I don't even want to unload...but I know I have dirty dishes that I need to take care of.
At 10pm, that's not my favorite task. But washing them at the show, then I'll know when I get into my car, my job is DONE for the night. (sort of making my "hourly wage" better too...because I'm spending less time on the job so to speak).

I'm going to start giving it a try. (I'll just be sure to START with the Stoneware. Plus- that could show the guests how easy it IS to clean Stoneware...since some seem intimidated by it.)

esavvymom said:
Plus, sometimes, I'm starting to think it might actually be the reverse as far as scaring off someone- because they have to do the dishes when they get home! By the time I get home, I just want to put my feet up! I don't even want to unload...but I know I have dirty dishes that I need to take care of.
At 10pm, that's not my favorite task. But washing them at the show, then I'll know when I get into my car, my job is DONE for the night.
(sort of making my "hourly wage" better too...because I'm spending less time on the job so to speak).

I'm going to start giving it a try. (I'll just be sure to START with the Stoneware. Plus- that could show the guests how easy it IS to clean Stoneware...since some seem intimidated by it.)

EXACTLY! The last thing I want to do when I get home is dishes! Those that have a hubby who does their dishes for them - WOW! That's great. Mines usually in bed when I get home!:p

I love just carrying in my paperwork bag, and leaving the rest of it in the car - all packed and ready for the next show!

You know that all makes an extrememly valid point for doing them at shows. I think back to the days of big holiday dinners and remember that the best conversations always happened while we were cleaning up the dishes! It was after the "getting dinner on the table" stress and before the total relaxing happened. Help doing dishes, more personal conversation and NOT having to do them at home by myself, I can't loose! Not to mention too that the doing dishes at home after a party never seems to happen for me. By the time I get home, all I want to do is get off my feet! Oh my, I think you all have convinved me that doing dishes at the hosts home is not such a bad thing! And I love that fact that a lot of you are getting bookings and recruits during that time. SWEET!

esavvymom said:
At 10pm, that's not my favorite task. But washing them at the show, then I'll know when I get into my car, my job is DONE for the night. (sort of making my "hourly wage" better too...because I'm spending less time on the job so to speak).

My dishes wouldn't get done if I took them home!

I bring a "dirty bin" Rubbermaid bin lined with clear garbage bag. Used to be hostesses would offer now most don't. I've got a few that still do, but in everyone's hurry hurry times, I find it easier to put them into the dirty bin and bring them home and wash them. Sometimes I get hubby to do it, lol.

I'd rather be home with my kids than standing at a show doing dishes, that's my opinion, but then again allot of my hostesses homes are where kitchen is NOT close to where show or guests are.

Everyone has to find what works for them. I know the consultant who used to do shows for me, offered if I did her dishes with or for her, that I got $5.00 off my order (so it's like a free spice).

HTH,
Lisa

1. What should I do to prepare for my first cooking show at home?

To prepare for your first cooking show at home, you should first decide on a date and time for the show. Then, make a list of all the kitchen tools and ingredients you will need for your recipes. Next, invite guests and remind them to bring their own chairs. Finally, set up your cooking space with all the necessary tools and ingredients.

2. Do I need to have any cooking experience to host a Pampered Chef show?

No, you do not need to have any cooking experience to host a Pampered Chef show. Our consultants will guide you through the cooking process and provide helpful tips and tricks along the way. Plus, hosting a show is a fun and interactive way to learn new recipes and techniques.

3. Can I choose the recipes for my cooking show?

Yes, you can choose the recipes for your cooking show. Our consultants will provide you with a variety of recipe options to choose from, and you can select the ones that best fit your preferences and dietary needs. You can also work with your consultant to customize the recipes to your liking.

4. How many guests should I invite to my cooking show?

It is recommended to invite 10-12 guests to your cooking show. This allows for a fun and intimate setting where everyone can participate and interact with the consultant. If you have a larger space, you can invite more guests, but it is important to keep in mind that each guest should have enough space to comfortably watch the show and participate in any activities.

5. Is there a cost to host a Pampered Chef cooking show at home?

No, there is no cost to host a Pampered Chef cooking show at home. Our consultants will bring all the necessary tools and ingredients, and there is no pressure to purchase anything. Hosting a show is a fun and easy way to earn free and discounted products, so it is a great opportunity to stock your kitchen with high-quality cooking tools.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• ChefPeg
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
Teresa Lynn
  • Kelly8
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
Kelly8
Replies