• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

DIP BAR: Endless Possibilities for Tailgating, Lunch Breaks, & Happy Hours

In summary,The conversation discusses a way to promote and sample rubs and seasonings at shows. Michele Houseworth, the creator of the idea, shares that she put the mayo/sour cream mixture in a small leakproof glass container and set it up in the beginning of her parties. Guests get so involved in taste testing that she doesn't need to make anything else. The mixture stays cold for about 4 to 6 hours. The most popular spice was the Three Onion rub. Cash and carry rubs are available, but Michele forgot to bring them to the bazaar. The dip stays cold for about 4 to 6 hours and is milk-based, so it can be stored in the fridge.
DebPC
Staff member
DIP BAR....Show on the Go....Tailgate....Mom's at the Park...Lunch Break....Happy Hour...2nd recipe at a show.....WOW! The possibilities are endless. Holds 17 rubs, equal parts of mayo/sour cream mixture. And another use for 1 oz jello shot cups. Directions: spoon sour cream/mayo mixture into cup, shake a rub of your choice on top, stir with pretzel stick and enjoy!!! Everyone can sample what ever they want to whip up!!!

Dip Bar5043975_n.jpg

Sorry don't know where this originated.

Ok, this is really amazing! I love this option as a quick show or even just an add-on to a regular show. I often bring a lot of rubs for people to smell, but having them available for them to taste in made-to-order dips is super smart! Thank you for the idea.Shari in TX

I just checked and the smallest leakproof glass container fits in the cool n serve where they have the mayo/sour cream. I think that it would be neater and easier clean up if the mayo/sour cream was in that instead of just on the freezer piece. And it shows another product!Eta: I didn't realize that the mayo mixture was actually in the plastic piece. Duh! But I still like the idea of using the glass container...

Last edited:
Not my idea, but always love to pass them on.

Omg love this idea!!

I took this to my last show and they loved it! I am now offering it to every host that has at least 10 confirmed guests.

Genius to make it a "special thing" contigent on confirmed guests! I love that!

Love this idea!!

Awesome idea!

I did this at my last party and it was a hit. Thank you for the idea. I will be doing this at all my parties!

This is such a good idea!! Simple and easy, yet really gives customers a chance to sample the products. Thanks!

HEY! That was a surprise to see my picture and wording for a DIP BAR! I was the creator and I wanted to tell all of you that this idea REALLY works for lots of added sales for rubs and seasonings along with the Cool and Serve Tray and utensils. TRY IT! IT WORKS ADDS SALES TO YOUR SHOW! :)Michele Houseworth
Advanced Director
[email protected]

Hey, DebPC....it was "ME" that created this idea. I shared it with Home Office and they actually put it in the newsletter (I think the August issue.) This idea has really boosted sales for rubs and seasonings and also the Cool and Serve. I set this up right in the beginning of my party and then place it in the center of the room or table guests are sitting at. They get soooo involved in taste testing and giving all kinds of ideas of what to use the rubs for that I tell them I don't think I need to make anything else. They laugh and we have tons of fun with it too. I chose not to put the mayo/sour cream in another dish because I really want them to understand that the freezer insert is keeping that mixture cold just like any other cold food I put in that compartment of the tray. It seriously is not an issue to clean up either....lid goes on and I go home and wash out the the compartments. I hope you and others try this idea....cause it really sells lots of rubs that I would never have sold had they not tasted them. :)Michele Houseworth
Advanced Director
Ohio

GREAT idea Michelle!! Wishing I could come up with one good idea like this. So glad people share. Thank you so much!:chef:

I love the idea... I am using it at ALL of my Holiday Bazaars!! It is an awesome way to promote and sample our pantry products. So far it has worked and I have sold 6 Bottles of spices and rubs. Thank you so much for the idea, I seen it in the Consultant News the other month!

How long does the mayo/sour cream mixture stay cool in that tray? That would be a great idea for a festival, but I'm sure there is a limited amount of time you could do that.

leshelman... did you have the spices available to cash and carry? or just order? if C&C what ones sold the most?

Most liked spice was by far!!! the Three Onion rub. And have some cash and carry rubs but I forgot them the day of the bazaar so I offered free shipping on all my orders because $5.25 is bit pricey to ship one rub! The dip stays cold for about 4 to 6 hours and I have gotten lucky and was able to find a freezer to keep the other half of the tray COLD! Remember it is a milk product so keep it nice and cold or it may go bad. Wouldn't want any sick customers ;)

Well, I really mean that it stayed cold for about 4 to 5 hours not 6... sorry about that.

I am having trouble finding those little cups. Where did you get them?

I've found them in the paper plates/cups/plasticware section of Walmart before in a one-oz size. My sister found the same ones in her WM near the Gladware containers. They come with lids and are 50 to a package, I believe. I've also seen either the 1- or 2-oz size at Sam's and maybe Costco. Beware though -- they come in huge quantities! Better value, I'm sure, but make sure you have storage space. :) Shari in TX

Shari in TX said:
I've found them in the paper plates/cups/plasticware section of Walmart before in a one-oz size. My sister found the same ones in her WM near the Gladware containers. They come with lids and are 50 to a package, I believe. I've also seen either the 1- or 2-oz size at Sam's and maybe Costco. Beware though -- they come in huge quantities! Better value, I'm sure, but make sure you have storage space. :) Shari in TX
I looked at one Walmart but may check the newer one. Wondered about Hobby Lobby in the party section??? Thanks for your help.

Found some at the newer Walmart. Thank you so much for your help!

Sorry, I saw you'd found them after I posted but it wouldn't let me delete my post. lol

Last edited:
They only had 3oz bath cups at my WM, so I bought them. I want to use them at a vendor fair tomorrow. I don't want people filling them all the way up, so what do you think about prefilling and placing in the available section of the cool and serve? I was going to bring a small cooler to hold the sour cream/mayo mixture. Thoughts?

Sounds like a great idea. Keeping people from taking wayyyy too much! Not to be rude but sometimes I just want to tell them to save some for my other customers.

So, I didn't have time top prefill the cups, but I set out the TINIEST bamboo spoon to use for filling the cups. That definitely helped. It got people to stop and talk to me, though I wasn't at all successful at getting their contact info. Lots of kids coming back for thirds and fourths... And none of my cash and carry sold. Well, at least it got people to come by! Another fair next weekend, so I'll try it again. I'm also going to try it at a party this Sunday. Hoping the spices will boost the order totals.

At fairs, I always have a giveaway people can register for so I get their contact information (just name, phone number, and email address). The script I finally fell upon that worked really well at the last fair I was part of was this:Me: Are you familiar with The Pampered Chef?
Customer: Of course, I love it! (no one ever said they didn't know about it).
We chat about what they have, what they love, what's new, whatever so I can get a feel for their interest and keep them talking non-threateningly.
Me: Do you have a Consultant you order from regularly?
If they do, I tell them I have a drawing they can enter and give them a form to complete for that or just say something like "That's great" and let them leave. I don't want to take a customer away from someone else! But if they say "no" which most of them did at the fair I was at -- "My consultant moved" or "I just order online" or "I did, but she stopped selling" were a lot of what I heard -- then I say...
Me: I send out a monthly newsletter with information on sales and specials. I'd love to send it to you too. Would you be interested in being on my mailing list?Almost everyone said "yes" at which point I handed them the form and asked for their information. I told them they would also be entered into a drawing. For this one, I gave them the option of one of the $8 cookbooks which I then ordered on the host order of the show I put in with the few orders I got from the fair. I watched them fill out the form, showed them the checkboxes and mentioned what was what so they would know which box(es) to check. I would also make note of their name and after they left, I'd pull their sheet out of the drawing bowl and make notes on it about anything we talked about that stood out. One person mentioned she wanted to order something, but not there so I made sure to note that and contact her before the show closed to remind her to order. One person had cookware issues so I gave her the HO office number and I'll follow up with her to make sure she was satisfied with the results. One person had just moved here. Just different notes to remind me of who was who.I got 12 contact slips this way from a pretty small fair. I picked a winner and she chose her book. She's also going to host a show in January or February. I contacted others who had wanted to order or needed something. The others, I can contact and let them know I've added them to my mailing list (if they wanted to be) and see if I can do anything else for them. I'll offer a Cooking and Catalog shows, of course, but I know a few already said they weren't interested so I obviously won't push. I just want them, next time they tell a PC rep that they love PC, to answer with a "yes" when asked if they have a Consultant they order from regularly because I'll be in the back of their mind as their Consultant.Hope that helps someone. I've rarely ever had great success with fairs, but I have almost always gotten a couple contacts that helped jump-start me again and that's very helpful.Shari in TX

Let me know how that one goes ShorelineChef. I usually have good luck with my cash and carry items. I ALWAYS have to order LOADS of mini spatulas. And I mean truck loads, I ordered about 15-20 of each just for one bazaar! And then I just fill in with some larger items and lots of other small items, which are GREAT for stocking stuffers! I did an event out a the Honda offices on Friday and I wrapped all my boxed cash and carry items and told them that it was already wrapped for Christmas.

What 17 seasonings would you use? Some seem a bit odd.. That's why I am asking!

I did this at my own show yesterday and it was a huge hit! Biggest problem for me was sorting out my spices, I had several that are no longer in the line! I got my little cups at Big Lots and I have also gotten something similar at GFS.

You could get candy paper cups at Michaels or Hobby Lobby in the candy making aisle. (think the wrappers that come a box of chocolates) Be sure you have a booth-customer accessible garbage receptacle. (and be prepared to get someone's 42 oz. AMPM drink. Plan to empty it 2-3 times during your venue)

This is great. I will be trying it out at my afternoon show next Sunday. And, it's perfect to showcase the special for May. Thank you, Michele H.!!

Which spices/rubs do you use? Some do not sound like they would be good as a dip...lol

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• BethCooks4U
  • Recruiting and Team Leaders
Replies
Views
PCJenni
Replies
Views
GourmetGirl
Replies
Views
raebates