• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

New Job, New Problem: Quick Recipes for a 4:30am-1pm Schedule

I usually cook a lot of chicken and fish during the week and freeze it. I also make a lot of salads and freeze them.
wadesgirl
Gold Member
GOOD NEWS!!! I got a new job finally!! After 8 months of unemployment, applying for jobs every weeks and some major frustrations, I finally got hired. My ultimate goal is to still work PC and still work on my personal training certification but I need something in the mean time.

Now to my problem - my husband works a weird shift 4:30 a.m. to 1 p.m. and I'll be working 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. I'm looking for recipe ideas that I can either make a head of time and have him throw in the oven/cook up or that I can make quick when I get home. One of my biggest hang ups is that he refuses to use the DCB in the microwave. It doesn't have to be a PC recipe but thought I would see what you guys do at your home. I need to feed him sooner than later after work since he is suppose to be in bed way before I am!

Congrats on the job!!! That is great news.

Any casserole can be put together and popped in the fridge for him to put in the oven 1/2 hour before you get home. I make a lot of chicken casseroles for the guys in the company (we are active duty army) when there is a new baby in the family. I just put them together, pop them in the fridge and then drop them off to the guys as they are leaving work to go home with instructions to cook at 350 for 30-40 minutes when they get home. Most casseroles work in that way and are too easy to put together. Also, a chicken or roast or veggie dish in the crockpot can cook all day and be ready when you get home.

What about a chicken florentine casserole, chicken pot pie, lasagnas, etc. that you can do in advance? When life actually allows me the time, I spend 3 or 4 hours preparing several freezer meals that we can take out when I don't feel like cooking. Dare I mention her name.. but I've gotten lots of ideas from Rachael Ray's 'Week in a Day' show.

Some Power Cooking meals, or meatloaf is a greagt make ahead.

One thing you can do is when you make things, start saving out part of it and freezing it.

When DH makes Chili in the Crockpot on a weekend, he makes a larger batch and we can just freeze portions for use in the future.

I do this with Stuffed Shells and things like that, too.

I always say I am going to make casseroles on the weekend just to freeze, but that never seems to happen...so I make extra of what I am already making...then it doesn't seem so bad.

Also, fish is a nice item to make during the week as it does not take a long time to bake. Steamed veggies on the side are quick, too. I usually can't afford the fresh fish out of the case (unless on sale) but will stock up the freezer on the frozen filets when they have sales on those. Then I just need to make sure to take out what I need to defrost in the fridge the night before.

Does your husband grill? He can always start grilling the meat right before you get home.

Salads are a nice side since you can have all that made up ahead of time.

Bacon Ranch Chicken in the crockpot
4-6 chicken breasts (I prefer using a 3# bag of chicken tenderloins this reheats great for leftovers)
4 tbsp real bacon bits
3 cloves of garlic pressed
2 pkg ranch dressing mix
2 cans cream of chicken soup
2 cups sour cream I mix it all together in cook in the crockpot on low all day. have him make up some angel hair or egg noodles and a veggie and you're good to go! It's soo yummy. I can generally feed all 5 of us on this (kids are 3 1/2 and 19mth old twins) and then have leftovers for a day or two depending on who eats the leftovers.apple bacon bbq chicken. wrap chicken breasts w/ bacon (2 pcs of bacon per chicken breast) grate 3 apples into 1 1/2 cups of BBQ sauce, pour on chicken cook in crockpot on low all day.
(I've done this in the DCB with perfect results as well. I usually 2 about 5-7 breasts. I serve w/ betty crocker scalloped potatoes (added parsley and use heavy cream in place of the milk and it's so much better than just following the recipe on the box) and a veggie.

I always recommend doing the majority of the prep work on the weekends. Wash and cut up all produce and store in labeled containers. Cook large quantities of ground meats that you would use in soups or sauces. Separate these into separate labeled packagesUse that crockpot if you have one! For example, I make a big italian beef on one day (chuck roast, beef broth, italian seasoning, jalapeno slices). Save leftovers for vegetable beef soup and add one bag of frozen mixed vegetables and a small can of tomato sauce. Make some quick grilled sandwiches or a salad for a light dinner.Also, do you have a "time bake" option on your oven? I use mine all the time. I whip up whatever is for dinner either the night before or the morning of and place it in the oven and set the timer for a start and stop time. I usually have a 30 minute commute, so I tell my oven to start around 15 minutes after I'm supposed to get off work. This allows me to plan for traffic, unexpected quick errands, etc with the cook time. It's nice to walk into the house and smell dinner in the oven. You'll have to play with the start and stop times according to the recipe and what else you may have planned for dinner, but just knowing that the main course is prepped and baking before you walk in the door is such an ease of mind.Finally... congratulations on the new job!

What kitchen tools are essential for my 4:30am-1pm schedule?

Some essential kitchen tools for your early morning schedule are a good quality chef's knife, a cutting board, measuring cups and spoons, a vegetable peeler, and a high-quality non-stick pan.

How can I save time in meal prep with my new schedule?

One way to save time in meal prep is to plan and prep your meals in advance. You can also use kitchen gadgets like a food processor or slow cooker to help speed up the process.

What are some healthy and quick recipe ideas for my new schedule?

Some healthy and quick recipe ideas for your early morning schedule include overnight oats, smoothies, breakfast burritos, and make-ahead egg muffins. These options can be prepped in advance and easily reheated for a quick and nutritious meal.

What are some ways to stay energized during my 4:30am-1pm shift?

In addition to eating a balanced and nutritious breakfast, staying hydrated and taking short breaks to stretch and move around can help maintain energy levels throughout your shift. You can also try incorporating energizing snacks like nuts, fruits, or energy bars into your meal plan.

How can I adapt my favorite recipes to fit my new schedule?

To adapt your favorite recipes to fit your new schedule, try to find shortcuts or make-ahead options. For example, you can use pre-cut vegetables or opt for frozen fruits instead of fresh. You can also consider batch cooking and freezing meals for later use. Additionally, you can adjust cooking times and temperatures to fit your schedule and use kitchen tools like a pressure cooker or air fryer to speed up cooking times.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• NooraK
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
minirottie
Replies
Views
CookinWithLynda
Replies
Views
pcheframsey