• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Planning a Camping Dinner Party for 8-9 People: Ideas & Suggestions

In summary, Keith is camping this weekend at a gay campground and is in charge of dinner. He's looking for ideas for a meal and has two ovens, a stove, and a grill available. He's found the Italian Grilled Pizza recipe on here and is considering trying it. For the trifle, he left out the mint infusion, and he and his friends love grilled pineapple sundaes.
leftymac
I'll be camping this weekend (it's at a gay campground so not like we're roughing it -- I'll be at a site with a full kitchen lol). I'm in charge of dinner on Saturday night for 8-9 people and need some ideas. I've got two ovens available, a stove, and grill so anything goes.

Any suggestions? I want it to be relatively simple (though simple to me is complicated to others), and I don't want to do the fajitas or 30 minute chicken.

I'll go through my myriad of PC cookbooks tomorrow but wanted to put it out there tonight for suggestions.

Italian Grilled Pizza! - It is INCREDIBLE!
(Casual Cooking Cookbook)And - seriously - there are Gay Campgrounds? Like you have to be gay to camp there?

Before we were born, that would just be a fun place to camp. ;)

ChefBeckyD said:
Italian Grilled Pizza!

And - seriously - there are Gay Campgrounds? Like you have to be gay to camp there?

haha no you don't HAVE to be gay, but you need to be gay friendly. It's a social thing. It's nice to go somewhere where you know 95% of the people are gay and it's fun to socialize. BF and I have made lots of other good couple friends there.

Where can I find the Italian Grilled Pizza recipe? I suppose I should look on here first.

leftymac said:
haha no you don't HAVE to be gay, but you need to be gay friendly. It's a social thing. It's nice to go somewhere where you know 95% of the people are gay and it's fun to socialize. BF and I have made lots of other good couple friends there.

Where can I find the Italian Grilled Pizza recipe? I suppose I should look on here first.

I edited my post....

and that's good to know - I was wondering how they determined who could camp and who couldn't....:D

ChefBeckyD said:
I edited my post....

and that's good to know - I was wondering how they determined who could camp and who couldn't....:D

I found the recipe on here on here -- looks great (except for the olives..blech)! I may try that..thanks!

(Couldn't resist the play on what the word USED to mean!)BTW, I was going to suggest meat, onions, potatoes wrapped in tin foil and cooked in the fire, etc., but then you through this whole "entire kitchen" thing at us!A few weeks ago I made spaghetti (my recipe) for our Fire Dept. during hose testing.I served french bread with our two dipping oil seasonings, a salad (plenty of PC recipes there) and for dessert, I made the Pineapple Mango thing into a trifle. I used angel food cake instead of pound cake as the bottom layer, the next layer I put fresh pineapple soaked in melted mango sorbet, strawberries and blueberries. The third layer was the vanilla pudding mixed with whipped topping and the rest of the mango sorbet. Repeat layers and then sprinkle blueberries on top - great and refreshing!For the trifle, I left out infusing the mint - liked it better without!

leftymac said:
I found the recipe on here on here -- looks great (except for the olives..blech)! I may try that..thanks!

If you don't like olives, I've done it with other stuff on there too - red onion, mixed peppers, etc....but what makes it good is the olive oil blend w/ the fresh tomatoes and basil.
I just did this for a show, and the host was turning up his nose at it the whole time - until he ate a slice...and then, he was still raving about it as I was packing up my car to leave.

We did Grilled Pineapple Sundaes to go with it. YUM!

ChefBeckyD said:
If you don't like olives, I've done it with other stuff on there too - red onion, mixed peppers, etc....but what makes it good is the olive oil blend w/ the fresh tomatoes and basil.
I just did this for a show, and the host was turning up his nose at it the whole time - until he ate a slice...and then, he was still raving about it as I was packing up my car to leave.

We did Grilled Pineapple Sundaes to go with it. YUM!

I love olive oil, just can't stand the taste of olives. I think if I do maybe two pieces along with a salad, and then grilled pineapple sundaes (which sound delicious) that'd be great!

Grilled pineapple sundaes -- walk me through how you do them. Or, is the recipe on here?

So where are you camping Keith? Is it in NJ? I have a friend who moved to Maryland/DC for schooling that loves camping and that would be right up his alley. He's only been out there for about 6-8 months so I don't know how much he's gotten around the area.Of course, you might not want him hanging with you guys, he has quite a potty mouth!

Ne'er mind I found the grilled pineapple sundae recipe.Janet, we are camping at The Woods Campground, which is in PA, about 90 minutes north of Philly. Your friend should check us out! We like potty mouths. :)

janetupnorth said:
So where are you camping Keith? Is it in NJ? I have a friend who moved to Maryland/DC for schooling that loves camping and that would be right up his alley. He's only been out there for about 6-8 months so I don't know how much he's gotten around the area.

Of course, you might not want him hanging with you guys, he has quite a potty mouth!

Just as long as he doesn't use incorrect verbs in French with his potty mouth...

Now THAT would tick off Keith!

That really wouldn't be far for him to travel to get away...

ChefBeckyD said:
Just as long as he doesn't use incorrect verbs in French with his potty mouth...

You got that right! Or incorrect English verbs, for that matter. :)

ChefBeckyD said:

I don't think he speaks French...other F-words, but not French that I know of. He was my partner for EMT-Basic class and was such a perfectionist that if he dare made a mistake out they came. Needless to say there were NUMEROUS times I played Mom and said, "outside NOW!!!!"

When we finished National Registry he didn't talk to me for 2 weeks because I beat his score by quite a bit. After his ego got over it, he was back to normal. :)

He became a great EMT over the last 6 years and is now at school for Emergency Management, Bio-Security, Terrorism & Institutions: Prevention & Response

Going camping with a bunch of gay men sounds so much more appealing to me then going camping with a bunch of "rednecks". :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

I hope you have lots of fun Keith:)

1. What types of dishes should I prepare for a camping dinner party for 8-9 people?

When planning a camping dinner party, it's important to keep in mind that you will likely have limited cooking equipment and resources. Stick to simple, but flavorful dishes that can be easily prepared over a campfire or grill. Some ideas include grilled chicken or steak, foil packet meals, and hearty salads or side dishes.

2. How can I accommodate different dietary restrictions for my guests?

Reach out to your guests ahead of time to inquire about any dietary restrictions or allergies they may have. You can then plan your menu accordingly, making sure to have options for vegetarians, gluten-free eaters, and other special diets. Consider having a variety of side dishes and toppings for grilled meats to accommodate different preferences.

3. What are some fun activities or games to incorporate into a camping dinner party?

Camping is all about enjoying the great outdoors, so consider planning some fun activities or games for your guests to enjoy after dinner. Some ideas include a scavenger hunt, a campfire sing-along, or a game of charades. You can also bring along some outdoor games like cornhole or horseshoes.

4. How can I make sure the food stays fresh and safe to eat during the party?

When cooking and serving food outdoors, it's important to take proper food safety precautions. Make sure to pack a cooler with plenty of ice to keep perishable items fresh. Use separate cutting boards and utensils for raw meats and other foods, and always wash your hands before and after handling food. It's also a good idea to have a food thermometer on hand to ensure meats are cooked to a safe temperature.

5. Is there a specific timeline I should follow for planning and preparing a camping dinner party?

It's always helpful to have a timeline in mind when planning a dinner party. Start by making a menu and shopping list a few days before the party. The day before, pack any non-perishable items and prep ingredients that can be done ahead of time. On the day of the party, set up your campsite and start preparing the food at least an hour before your guests arrive. This will give you enough time to cook and enjoy the meal without feeling rushed.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• kcjodih
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
gailz2
  • GourmetGirl
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
sharalam
  • pamperdpaula