• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Need Help with Spring Rolls? Tips for Making Them Stay Together!

In summary, the director is going to have guests prepare the ingredients and wrap their own spring rolls.
jhummel
I have tried unsuccessfully to make the spring rolls stay together. Any tips?

Sorry I don't have any tips. where did you find rice paper? :)

Make sure the rice paper is wet enough - don't be stingy with the water but don't slop it on either. Then let it set for a minute. If you use enough water, the rice wrappers are sticky enough by the time you get the filling in.

I live in a large city so the rice papers were at a local oriental market (cheaper) and a grocery chain that has a lot of international foods.

We also like adding a little bit more water to the peanut butter sauce and putting it in the little dipping bowls. I take a bottle of rooster sauce (sriracha HOT chili sauce) and put a small amount on top of the peanut butter dipping sauce. This is the way it is served in the restaurants.

Spring rolls are very expensive at restaurants. They often have a few pieces of shrimp in them. People are very impressed with the spring rolls if they have had them at restaurants and then taste our recipe.

QuestionsCarla, it sounds like you've had success with the Spring Rolls. I made them for an Open House taste test and the results were not so good. By the time we ate the Spring Rolls (which wasn't long after I made them) the wrapper was rock hard again. I was literally rolling them as the guests arrived and we dug into the food right then. The filling was delicious, but the rice paper was less than spectacular.

What was your strategy to make them stay pliable enough to eat while you were demoing? Did you roll and serve at the same time?

the restaurants roll them in Saran Wrap to keep them moist. I'm going to make and wrap some then send them in my husband's lunch. Some healthy and spicy that he will love.

They are really delicious and have been a big hit.

I forgot to add that I don't roll them at shows. I set everything out and have the guests moisten their own wrappers and do their own fillings.

At our cluster meeting, the director said she is making them a hands on demo and talking the guests through preparing the ingredients (if they want to) and wrapping their own.

1. How do I make the perfect spring roll wrapper?

Making the perfect spring roll wrapper requires a combination of flour, water, and salt. The key is to ensure that the dough is well-kneaded and rested for at least 30 minutes before rolling it out into thin sheets. You can also use a pasta machine to achieve consistent thickness for your wrappers.

2. Can I make spring rolls ahead of time and freeze them?

Yes, you can make spring rolls ahead of time and freeze them for future use. After assembling the rolls, place them on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and freeze until firm. Then, transfer them to a freezer-safe bag or container and store for up to 2 months. When ready to cook, simply fry or bake the frozen spring rolls without thawing.

3. What is the best oil to use for frying spring rolls?

Peanut oil or vegetable oil are both great options for frying spring rolls. They have a high smoke point and neutral flavor, making them perfect for deep frying. However, you can also use canola oil or sunflower oil if that's what you have on hand.

4. How do I prevent my spring rolls from getting soggy?

To prevent your spring rolls from getting soggy, make sure to wrap them tightly and seal the edges properly. You can also place a layer of lettuce or cabbage leaves at the bottom of the serving dish to absorb any excess moisture. It's also important to fry the rolls in hot oil (around 350-375°F) to ensure they cook quickly and stay crispy.

5. Can I use different fillings for my spring rolls?

Absolutely! While traditional spring rolls typically contain a mixture of vegetables and meat, you can get creative with your fillings. Some popular options include shrimp, tofu, mushrooms, and different types of shredded vegetables. Just make sure to dice or shred the ingredients thinly so they cook evenly and are easy to roll.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
sklay723
  • PampMomof3
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
Admin Greg
  • Chef Kearns
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies