1. Join Chef Success Today!
    Get support for your PC business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of support threads! Totally Free!
    Dismiss Notice

Pampered Chef: Dim Sum Help: Spring Rolls

1. I have tried unsuccessfully to make the spring rolls stay together. Any tips?

Nov 8, 2005
  2. pamperedalf

pamperedalf Senior Member Silver Member

Sorry I don't have any tips. where did you find rice paper? :)

Nov 8, 2005
  3. Make sure the rice paper is wet enough - don't be stingy with the water but don't slop it on either. Then let it set for a minute. If you use enough water, the rice wrappers are sticky enough by the time you get the filling in.

I live in a large city so the rice papers were at a local oriental market (cheaper) and a grocery chain that has a lot of international foods.

We also like adding a little bit more water to the peanut butter sauce and putting it in the little dipping bowls. I take a bottle of rooster sauce (sriracha HOT chili sauce) and put a small amount on top of the peanut butter dipping sauce. This is the way it is served in the restaurants.

Spring rolls are very expensive at restaurants. They often have a few pieces of shrimp in them. People are very impressed with the spring rolls if they have had them at restaurants and then taste our recipe.

Nov 8, 2005
  4. Chef Kearns

Chef Kearns Legacy Member Gold Member

Questions

Carla, it sounds like you've had success with the Spring Rolls. I made them for an Open House taste test and the results were not so good. By the time we ate the Spring Rolls (which wasn't long after I made them) the wrapper was rock hard again. I was literally rolling them as the guests arrived and we dug into the food right then. The filling was delicious, but the rice paper was less than spectacular.

What was your strategy to make them stay pliable enough to eat while you were demoing? Did you roll and serve at the same time?

Nov 8, 2005
  5. the restaurants roll them in Saran Wrap to keep them moist. I'm going to make and wrap some then send them in my husband's lunch. Some healthy and spicy that he will love.

They are really delicious and have been a big hit.

Nov 9, 2005
  6. I forgot to add that I don't roll them at shows. I set everything out and have the guests moisten their own wrappers and do their own fillings.

At our cluster meeting, the director said she is making them a hands on demo and talking the guests through preparing the ingredients (if they want to) and wrapping their own.

Nov 9, 2005
Have something to add?

Draft saved Draft deleted