• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Dilemma! Host Won't Return Calls or Emails!

In summary, the host canceled the show because the host did not follow through and provide an important fact, her mailing address. The host tried to reschedule the show for this Saturday, but the host's friend confirmed the host received an invite. The host is still planning the party, but because the host has not responded, the host is looking for a new host.
wmrmgr
I'm beyond the point of frustrated! This is going to be my first actual show. I'm a complete newbie. This show was scheduled to happen Dec 5th; because the host didn't follow through and provide an important fact, her mailing address, I was unable to get her a host packet. When she finally did respond, it was two days before the scheduled show and she wanted to reschedule it to this Saturday, the 12th. I booked her immediately and drove out the host packet that very same day, handing it to her in person. I introduced myself, briefly explained the information in the packet, and told her specifically I'd be calling Thurs, the 3rd. I left msg on the 3rd, left msg on the 6th, another msg on the 8th and the 9th. I tried again today and this time there was no answer. I've emailed multiple times also with no response. My voicemails are cheerful, and my emails are positive (even though I am ready to scream!) A friend of hers confirmed that she got an invite so I know the party is still set to happen. But because the host hasn't responded I have no idea if she wants an entree, appetizer or dessert, and I haven't been able to get her a list of ingredients either. If I have to provide ingredients because I've picked the recipe, am I obligated to give her the $15 hospitality gift? Seriously! Frustrated doesn't begin to describe what I'm feeling.

On a more positive note, my holiday launch party (open house) is scheduled for Sunday and I'm really looking forward to that. I have 3 confirmed people stopping by, and 17 maybe's which I plan to call/email Friday as a reminder.

Sigh....

Last edited:
Call and leave her a voicemail telling her what time you'll be arriving and that you are looking forward to it. Let her know that you are making "XXX" and that you'll just go ahead and get the food and let her know how much it costs when you close the show (then you can add it to her Host order). Since she's sent out the invites- then you know she must be planning it to occur. Some folks just DON'T GET IT!As far as the food.....since she hasn't given you anything- you make what YOU WANT and you get the ingredients yourself. (Trifles can be really cheap- "Death By Chocolate" has 4 ingredients!- CHEAP) But whatever you make- choose an cheap recipe. And yes- even if you provide the ingredients- you can't exactly NOT give her that $15- since it comes from PC...Personally, I'd just eat the cost on it and see what happens. If you spend $10-15 on ingredients but make $100...and get some bookings, it was an investment worth making. You just enter the receipts into P3 later as an expense that you can deduct on taxes later. BUt if you leave the voicemail saying you're getting the food and will settle with her after the show, that leaves that door open as an option for you also.I know it's frustrating...I've got a host just like that- actually, you've gotten more response from her than I did! I called many times, emailed, etc....her voicemail was always full and wouldn't let me leave a message. I FINALLY got through today to her VM- and her show is scheduled for tomorrow. In the vmail, I said "I assume we are NOT having your show, since I was never able to get the packet to you"...etc. I've sent her a mailing with January host specials in the hopes she tries for a Jan date instead. I knew she was really busy in December....but it's irritating and personally, I think rude- but that's how people are. Look at it this way, you can get the frustrating ones up front and then little will surprise you int he future. :)GOod luck!

What I would do is call and leave a message saying. Hi sally host this is (your Name) from the pampered chef I hope all is going ok ith you and your family, I havent heard from you about our show i am still looking forward to it. I will be there at 6:30 (or whenever you plan on showing up) with the ingrediants. hope to see you there.

If you pick up the ingrediants I would have her reimburse you for the money
good luck

Hmmm... I guess I'd be going at it totally different, but it's totally up to you. There is no way I'd go, and I'd leave her a message telling her that. But, I guess since you know the invitations went out, you could call her, leave a message telling her the list of ingredients that SHE has to buy. Tell her you'll arrive at whatever time and leave it at that. I wouldn't buy the ingredients, but that's just me. This is why I send out invitations myself. At least you know people have them.In the future, when you book shows, you may want to be sure to let the host know that you need actual contact with them a few times (you tell the number: 2 or 3 or 4, whatever you do for host coaching). Ask them if they prefer e-mail or phone. Ask them the best time to contact if it's by phone and the best phone number. This won't always happen, thankfully, but it does happen. It is annoying, but most people aren't like this.JAE

I don't buy ingredients either because I don't want to set a precedence that it's part of what I normally do. I'd call and leave a message that she needs to call you so that you two can choose a recipe AND so you can get her e-mail address to e-mail her the recipe & list of ingredients. Then the problem is solved, you have her e-mail address to continue contacting her for followup after the show & in the future. ;)

Thank you everyone! I was finally able to reach my host late yesterday. She had a ton of stories about why she didn't return my 8 voicemails and 4 emails; I acknowledged how busy everyone is this time of year and moved on. She left the recipe up to me to pick so I went for something in the DCB and she poo-poo'd that idea because she doesn't use her microwave. I decided to keep it simple with the taffy apple tartlets. She also moaned that she has only 3 people confirmed attending so I encouraged her to make phone calls tonight to remind people that she's having a show tomorrow. I'll be honest, I'm not expecting much tomorrow; my hope is that she'll have enough people to qualify her show and earn her free products. My launch show is on Sunday; I've got 5 confirmed people coming, 18 "maybe attending" and then my outside orders that people are tossing at me today on their way out the door for the weekend. Promising!

Very glad you were able to make contact. I hope it turns out great, and have a great one on Sunday, too.

remind her of 5 - 15 - 5. 5 orders before the show, 15 buying guests at the show, and 5 orders after the show from folks who couldn't make it. I explain it's a recipe for a 1,000 show and circle that on the host planner as "our goal".

scottcooks said:
remind her of 5 - 15 - 5. 5 orders before the show, 15 buying guests at the show, and 5 orders after the show from folks who couldn't make it. I explain it's a recipe for a 1,000 show and circle that on the host planner as "our goal".

I like that idea, thank you! My show today was "okay" and it left me disappointed but NOT discouraged. The host was given 40 invites to mail out. I encouraged her to call all the people she invited who hadn't responded as a reminder. Communication as stated originally was next to impossible. She had 1 person show up (not including herself or her husband). A very nice woman stopped by to drop her dgtr off for a sleepover (who wasn't invited apparently) and ended up staying and placing an order! We were able to chat a bit and she expressed an interest in a catalog show in the spring. I made a note to keep in touch with her as well as to follow up with her after she receives her order. Unfortunately the total sale for the two guests was just over $50, nowhere near enough for the host to qualify for even the 15% discount. She said she's going to get some outside orders over the weekend so we can close by Monday. Honestly, she put so little effort into the cooking show, I don't foresee success getting those outside orders to boost her sales.

Tomorrow is a better day!

just curious....how did you end up with the closing of this show??? Seem's like she's been a tough one from the beginning....

Remember it is your business. You direct the host to act in a set of particular ways--based on how you set things up. Maybe: hold tighter reigns on the host...

"would you like to have your show on Thursday the 15th or Saturday morning the 17th? Would you prefer I demonstrate in your kitchen or in the living room? Shall I make a chocolate raspberry trifle in our versatile Trifle Bowl, or Loaded Baked Potato Choweder in our multifunctional Deep Covered Baker? Did you want to mail invitations out, or may I send them out to your friends? Can we meet for coffee tomorrow afternoon to close out your show, or shall I come by Monday after work?"

By giving the host just 2 options, you maintain more focus on your business. If instead, you leave it wide open, she is haphazard and your results are uncertain. Remember--you know more about this business than she does! Keep it fun, and encourage her every 2 or 3 steps to joining your business - you will be a director in no time.

Mel92504 said:
just curious....how did you end up with the closing of this show??? Seem's like she's been a tough one from the beginning....

Her show ended up with two guests and no outside orders. I took a chance and had offered her the benefits of hosting a show (free shipping and 15% off her order). She decided not to place an order and left me with the two orders from her "show." I took those orders and added them to my open house that was scheduled the following day. She never communicated to her guests the end result so they were a little confused when I delivered their products.

She vaguely mentioned an interest in hosting a spring show. I don't think this is one I really want to attempt again.

wmrmgr said:
Her show ended up with two guests and no outside orders. I took a chance and had offered her the benefits of hosting a show (free shipping and 15% off her order). She decided not to place an order and left me with the two orders from her "show." I took those orders and added them to my open house that was scheduled the following day. She never communicated to her guests the end result so they were a little confused when I delivered their products.

She vaguely mentioned an interest in hosting a spring show. I don't think this is one I really want to attempt again.

That is probably a good idea, unless she makes the effort to contact you. How did your open house end up? Good luck in the new year...

My open house did okay. I had sent out 100 invites (50 mailed / 50 e-mailed). 4 people showed up. My husband and I sat down after it was all done and decided next year we'll do it either in early November or immediately after Thanksgiving. I had a number of outside orders so that helped boost the sales to just over $300, but I was disappointed at the lack of attendance. The guests that did attend enjoyed the recipes!

What should I do if my host won't return my calls or emails?

If your host is not responding to your attempts to contact them, it's important to first try reaching out through different methods. If you've only been emailing, try calling instead. If you've only been leaving voicemails, try sending a text message. If none of these methods work, you may need to reach out to your supervisor for guidance on how to handle the situation.

How do I handle a host who hasn't responded to my calls or emails?

If your host has been unresponsive and you are unable to reach them through any means, it may be best to focus your efforts on finding a new host. Reach out to your supervisor for assistance in finding a replacement host and communicate with any guests who have already RSVP'd to the original party.

Can I cancel a party if my host isn't responding?

If you are unable to reach your host and have exhausted all other methods of communication, it may be necessary to cancel the party. However, before making any decisions, it's important to consult with your supervisor and consider the potential impact on your business and reputation.

How can I prevent this situation from happening in the future?

To avoid having a host who is unresponsive, it's important to set clear expectations from the beginning. Make sure your host understands their role and responsibilities, and provide them with a timeline for when you need to hear back from them. It's also helpful to have a backup plan in case your host is unable to follow through.

What should I do if my host becomes unresponsive after the party?

If your host was initially responsive but has stopped communicating with you after the party, it may be helpful to reach out to them one more time to see if everything is okay. If they still do not respond, it's important to document the situation and communicate with your supervisor for guidance on how to proceed.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• AshleyAllison
  • Pampered Chef Shows
Replies
Views
ChefPeg
  • chefjessicah
  • Pampered Chef Shows
Replies
Views
mountainmama74
  • Suzyengl