• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Rant Is the Digital Pocket Thermometer Worth the Hassle?

In summary, the author's first thermometer didn't work, the second one separated from the main part, and the author's latest thermometer is slow coming up to temperature.
Intrepid_Chef
Silver Member
Anybody remember when this came out?

Because mine has had some problems:

a) The first one I got didn't work when I got it out of the box. They replaced it and told me to toss it .. I thought it might be a simple battery.

And now ...

b) The second one separated from the main part when I used it at home. WIRES SHOWING! I put it back together and when I used it at my show ... the host put the cover back on and I couldn't pry the cover off of the probe! So now it's in my Tool Turn About waiting for my next show ... with no cover on the probe. Because I'm afraid the same thing will happen.

One of the guests who bought one said, "I hope MINE doesn't do that!"

Oh and it also takes forever to climb to temp.

I bought it soon after it debuted ... just wondering if it might still be under warranty. Hope, hope, hope!

It only has a year warranty. I've had problems too.

Mine no longer works, but I figure that has something to do with finding it in the sink full of water with the other dishes that were soaking...

I had one also that pulled from the face but that was my fault for wiping it off by pulling to hard on the rod. Now I make sure I wipe it off by going the "other" direction...wiping toward the head. I love this product and use it almost every night.

It still works ... And I am going to try cleaning it the way you suggested. And still think I will not use the probe cover! And use it myself rather than asking my host to be the chicken checker.

I've not had those problems described, but I did think I killed it last week when I was spraying my counter down with Lysol Anti-bacterial Hard Surface cleaner. I had just handled meat in/around the counter, so was spraying things down and cleaning up. The probe was sitting along the back of the counter and got a little spray (mist) on the face. After that, it wouldn't work! Cantankerous thing! So i thought it was the battery. Nope. Still wouldn't come to life...it would blink and then die out. I put it away to deal with it later. The next day, it worked perfectly fine :confused:
Mine doesn't take long to come up to temp either, granted, not as fast as the dial, but it works fast enough.

I have had multiple problems with the battery and with the probe detaching. When they worked, they worked well, but they just aren't very sturdy. I can't recommend them to people.

Well, I tried to use it today to check chicken ... and after waiting forever, just decided to cut the largest piece and show them it was done.

Personally I too think it is garbage. I have had multiple problems too getting it to "read". Takes forever then one time the temp shot up to 243 degrees on a pork roast that was actually underdone! I have also had to reseat the battery a couple times too. For some reason even with the cover on, it don't stay. So I stick to my old pocket thermometer.

I use the old style, too. The new one? I had the battery problems every one else had with it popping out until I bent the little metal thing inside. Then it just stopped working, and a fresh new battery didn't fix it. Which brings me to the question of why is it still in my tool-turn-about?

The PIG directions say "wipe clean only". I suspect I got too much soap & water on it when I washed it with my kitchen sponge. Something that has touched raw meat? I can't just wipe it clean, it needs soap to clean it.

Dotty said:
I have had multiple problems with the battery and with the probe detaching. When they worked, they worked well, but they just aren't very sturdy. I can't recommend them to people.

Have it replaced. I haven't had any problems with mine. It works great.

Tracie said:
Have it replaced. I haven't had any problems with mine. It works great.

I've done multiple replacements for others. Mine was over the 1 year when the probe broke.

I had that happen too at one of my first shows! HO replaced it and so now I have a show one and a personal one (just in case my show one breaks.....)

I've had quite a few of these thermometers break, both mine and customer's. The head pops off exposing the wiring. My latest one seems to be OK--so far--except that it is very slow coming up to temperature. It takes about 1 second per degree. Very frustrating. I wish they would come back with the dial one.

I haven't had any issues with mine but I could never find it in the turnabout at a show and now that I don't carry the turnabout I forget to bring the thermometer. lol

Well, yeah, wipe clean only ... I do rinse with hot water too, just the probe. I know they mean you can't dishwash or immerse it.

I managed to put mine together but I am not ordering another one. It's junk.

1. How does the Digital Pocket Thermometer work?

The Digital Pocket Thermometer uses a metal probe to measure the internal temperature of food. Simply insert the probe into the food and the temperature will be displayed on the digital screen.

2. Is the Digital Pocket Thermometer waterproof?

No, the Digital Pocket Thermometer is not waterproof. It should be hand-washed and not submerged in water.

3. Can the Digital Pocket Thermometer be used for both hot and cold foods?

Yes, the Digital Pocket Thermometer can measure temperatures ranging from -40°F to 450°F (-40°C to 232°C), making it suitable for both hot and cold foods.

4. How long does it take for the Digital Pocket Thermometer to give an accurate reading?

The Digital Pocket Thermometer provides an accurate reading within 5-6 seconds of being inserted into the food.

5. Does the Digital Pocket Thermometer come with a warranty?

Yes, the Digital Pocket Thermometer comes with a one-year warranty for any manufacturing defects. Please refer to the warranty information included in the packaging for more details.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• MissChef
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
MissChef
  • PamperedchefDaly
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
saliahkako
  • priscilla