• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Digital Pocket Thermometer Broke After 2 Yrs

In summary, the digital pocket thermometer has a one year warranty, but if the customer's Christmas shopping is over $150 they can get the thermometer replaced at a discount, Pick anything in the catalog for 60% off - PLUS they would be able to choose from any Cookbook, Bamboo Kitchen Towel, Smooth Edge Can Opener or Easy Read Measuring Cups for FREE!
babywings76
Gold Member
A past host e-mailed me:

Hey Amanda,

My meat thermometer somehow broke. The metal piece separated from the digital reader. Can I get a new one if I send it back to you?? Also, I will have some orders for christmas. I'll email you the order!

Thanks

She used to work for my husband and hosted a party with me at that time. Then she got married and moved far away. We just saw her recently at a wedding for another co-worker of my husband. She said she wanted to order some things. I sent her out a catalog. She didn't seem interested in a catalog show. So...keeping all that in mind, I'm just wondering what I should say. What would good customer service be in this situation. Tell her sorry but it only has a 1 yr. guarantee and I'd be happy to order her a new one? At a discount or not?

I was disappointed when I saw in the catalog that it actually only has a one year guarantee. :( Bummer. I had hoped that something with electric components would have a longer guarantee time. I just wonder if I should offer her a discount to replace it or what. I actually got sidetracked from following up with her and now it's been 6 days without having replied to her. Oops! I just hate to have a disappointed customer.

I've come across many digital pocket thermometers that were beheaded. Some were from customers, and one was my own. It seems to be a design flaw. I was very disappointed to see that they are still in the catalog.

i did the same thing to mine but within the guarantee period. it was because i was using a towel to wipe off the metal part and pulled down while holding the "head" part. sadly, i don't think it's a design flaw, but user error. now i always make sure to hold the top of the metal part when cleaning off the thermometer.

So what would you guys say to this girl if you were me?

I guess it would depend on the guest. I've had a few who are exceptional hosts/customers and I've ordered them a new one and eaten it as a write off. But, under normal circumstances I would just say, "I'm so sorry but I checked your receipt and you are past the guarantee period. However, If your Christmas shopping is over $150 you can get that thermometer replaced at a discount, Pick anything in the catalog for 60% off - PLUS you'd be able to choose from any Cookbook, Bamboo Kitchen Towel, Smooth Edge Can Opener or Easy Read Measuring Cups for FREE!"

This post is from awhile back, but if it were me I think I would say, "I'm so sorry that happened to you! Unfortunately this product carries a one-year guarantee, so it is no longer covered under warranty. But, if you are interested in replacing it, I would be happy to replace it at a 15% discount."

You could of course discount as you see fit. If the customer decided to replace it, I could e-mail home office and inform them of the situation so that they are aware of this issue - I actually had my thermometer break the exact same way - about 1.5 years after I purchased it :(

I do know some consultants that use these situations as a booking tool - "I'd be happy to help you replace that item for free - lets look at our calendars and find a date when I can pamper you at your own party!" I personally am not as comforable with this approach, but it works for some :)

I just had a customer that used it for the first time (just ordered it in early Nov.) and the head came off of hers. HO is sending a new one. Hope they are looking into getting this apparent "flaw" in workmanship fixed soon! Thanks for the info. I just thought it was a fluke thing, but now know different!

This happened to a customer of mine as well just after the one year warranty. Sad.

What could have caused my digital pocket thermometer to break after only 2 years of use?

There are several possible reasons for your digital pocket thermometer breaking after 2 years, including normal wear and tear, exposure to extreme temperatures or moisture, or a defect in the product itself. It's also possible that the batteries may have died or the thermometer was accidentally dropped or damaged.

Can I still use my digital pocket thermometer even though it has stopped working?

If your digital pocket thermometer has completely stopped working, it is not safe or accurate to use. It is important to replace it with a new thermometer to ensure the safety of your food and yourself.

Is it possible to repair a broken digital pocket thermometer?

In most cases, it is not possible to repair a broken digital pocket thermometer. These types of thermometers are typically not designed to be opened or repaired, and attempting to do so may cause further damage. It is best to replace the thermometer with a new one.

How can I prevent my digital pocket thermometer from breaking in the future?

To prevent your digital pocket thermometer from breaking, it is important to handle it with care and avoid exposing it to extreme temperatures or moisture. Always follow the manufacturer's instructions for use and storage, and replace the batteries regularly. Consider investing in a more durable thermometer if you frequently use it in harsh conditions.

What should I do with my broken digital pocket thermometer?

If your digital pocket thermometer is broken and no longer safe or accurate to use, it should be disposed of properly. Check with your local waste management company for guidelines on how to dispose of electronic devices in your area. Some retailers also offer recycling programs for electronic devices.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• Bren706
  • Buy Pampered Chef Items
Replies
Views
keynibear
  • yummybytes
  • Business, Marketing and Customer Service
Replies
Views
sharalam
  • yummybytes