• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Different Types of Leather for a Sofa??

In summary, the conversation is about a couple who is looking for a leather sofa and is unsure about what kind of leather is best. They are specifically looking at a sofa made of top grain leather but are concerned about the durability and care instructions. They also discuss the option of getting additional warranty for the sofa. One person in the conversation has experience with leather furniture and advises against using leather cleaner and suggests getting a warranty for protection against stains and damage. They also mention that the sofa may not be full-grain leather, but a combination of top grain and split grain.
KellyRedHead
Hi everyone!
I need your help again here! LOL!!

MY DH and I are still looking at sofa's and we have narrowed it down that leather is what we want.
I know I posted a week ago about whether to get insurance or not on the furniture, we probably will with leather. But my question now is what kind of leather is better to get on a sofa. I am trying to read up on it, but there are loads of answers out there between different types and different grades.

We are looking at this sofa: http://www.raymourflanigan.com/catalog/details.asp?ID=11327
1st it says it is Top grain leather which I thought was the best, but under warranty and recommended care, it says to "Clean only with approved leather cleanser for bicast leather". The way I have read it was that "bi-cast leather was made from "split leather" which was not as durable and much thinner then "top Grain leather"
We have kids and animals, if it is true "top grain" then maybe it will be alright. But I worry its not.

Does anyone have any experience with this and leather furniture??

Thanks in advance, it is just a HUGE investment that I don't want to make on a poor quality piece of furniture.

Thanks-
Kelly V.

Bumping - just wondered if anyone has furniture experience with leather.

Does anyone have any knowledge of Ashley, Broyhill or Bernhardt furniture??

Thanks-
Kelly V

Last edited:
we just got rid of a leather sofa we had for 2 years. i love leather but with the kids and 2 pets it wasnt practical because of the type of leather that it was- it was an open grain - and it scratched if you would look at it wrong - and we didnt allow our dogs on it but if they even layed near it and kicked it it would scratch . not all leather is like this - just be careful! it was called analine leather, hope this helps.- aslo dont leave it near heat or sun or it will fade! Just a thought!

My dad is a leather salesman, and I used to sell furniture, so maybe I can help! I just looked at your couch. Very nice!

So, yes, you're right. Top-grain is about the best leather there is for a couch. Full-grain would be better, but a couch made from full-grain leather would be VERY expensive, VERY heavy, and probably with rare exception doesn't exist.

As far as leather cleaner, I wouldn't use any. Even if it says it's okay for leather or even top-grain leather, I'd be wary. Many times, using a leather cleaner will void the warranty of your couch. That's something the furniture people won't tell you. (Or won't know!)

If there's a warranty rub - like stainsafe - you can get for an extra fee on your couch, do it. Where I worked, it was like an extra $75, but WELL worth it. It's essentially a warranty against stains, burns, rips and tears.

Now, one thing to ask at the store is if your couch is full-grain everywhere. If they say yes, RUN. If the couch was a full-grain leather everywhere, it would be about $5,000. For the price of your couch (which is not cheap by any means!), top grain is on anywhere your body touches...the cushions, backs, armrests. Anywhere else (the back, sides and bottom) is a split-grain. I'd be willing to bet my children on it.

Hope this helps!

Jessamary said:
My dad is a leather salesman, and I used to sell furniture, so maybe I can help! I just looked at your couch. Very nice!

So, yes, you're right. Top-grain is about the best leather there is for a couch. Full-grain would be better, but a couch made from full-grain leather would be VERY expensive, VERY heavy, and probably with rare exception doesn't exist.

As far as leather cleaner, I wouldn't use any. Even if it says it's okay for leather or even top-grain leather, I'd be wary. Many times, using a leather cleaner will void the warranty of your couch. That's something the furniture people won't tell you. (Or won't know!)

If there's a warranty rub - like stainsafe - you can get for an extra fee on your couch, do it. Where I worked, it was like an extra $75, but WELL worth it. It's essentially a warranty against stains, burns, rips and tears.

Now, one thing to ask at the store is if your couch is full-grain everywhere. If they say yes, RUN. If the couch was a full-grain leather everywhere, it would be about $5,000. For the price of your couch (which is not cheap by any means!), top grain is on anywhere your body touches...the cushions, backs, armrests. Anywhere else (the back, sides and bottom) is a split-grain. I'd be willing to bet my children on it.

Hope this helps!

Hi Jessica-
Yes this does help thank you!

Are you saying if it is full grain everywhere to run away, or to purchase it right away?? Also do you think the price for the couch is too much? I have looked at several and this is the most expensive one.

I worry about the leather being top grain since it says to only use cleaner for a bi-cast leather. I am under the impression that bi-cast is a lower thinner grade leather? Maybe it is only on the back and sides, but still this is not what I was thinking I was getting if it is.
I am wondering if it is thick enough. I notice all the reviews were great, but the last one (or most recent) says her cats put holes in the leather?? I have dogs and cat(who also are not allowed on the couch) but do sneak up on it when we are not looking!
The other one I liked was by Leather Trend, it is made of full grain cow hide leather, (not sure if that is better) liked it but the other is longer and seemed taller. Here the link, tell me what you think about this one if you don't mind?
ishttp://www.raymourflanigan.com/catalog/details.asp?ID=13797

I again, appreciate any help. This is a big purchase for us and I don't want to throw our money out the window.

Thanks-
Kelly V.

I mis-typed earlier. If they say it's all TOP-grain, run. Run, as in they're not being honest with you.

I looked at that other couch, and it's nice. BUT I will eat my hat if it's FULL-Grain leather! If that couch was made of 100% full-grain leather, it would be a lot more than $2000. Think of a realllllly nice men's leather wallet. A nice full-grain leather wallet is about $300. That's for a piece of leather about the size of a half sheet of paper, with stitching. Now imagine all that leather over a couch...which also includes wood, steel, cushioning, etc.

And nothing full-grain would ever be able to be penetrated by cat's claws. Unless your cat is a tiger.

Like I said, the couch is nice. But I'm thinking it's a top/split leather. Top-grain everywhere that touches your body and split-grain for the backs and sides.

And for those of you at home, if you ever see any piece of furniture marked "100% leather" and nothing else, LEAVE. Once a piece of furniture says that, there's nothing good left to say about it. 100% leather (esp. in furniture) means they've gathered all the scrap pieces of split leather (and you can split leather for awhile), mix it together with glue and essentially "stamp" it together to make it look like a grain.

Again, don't worry about leather cleaner. It does more harm than good. A damp rag will suffice.

Jessamary said:
I mis-typed earlier. If they say it's all TOP-grain, run. Run, as in they're not being honest with you.

I looked at that other couch, and it's nice. BUT I will eat my hat if it's FULL-Grain leather! If that couch was made of 100% full-grain leather, it would be a lot more than $2000. Think of a realllllly nice men's leather wallet. A nice full-grain leather wallet is about $300. That's for a piece of leather about the size of a half sheet of paper, with stitching. Now imagine all that leather over a couch...which also includes wood, steel, cushioning, etc.

And nothing full-grain would ever be able to be penetrated by cat's claws. Unless your cat is a tiger.

Like I said, the couch is nice. But I'm thinking it's a top/split leather. Top-grain everywhere that touches your body and split-grain for the backs and sides.

And for those of you at home, if you ever see any piece of furniture marked "100% leather" and nothing else, LEAVE. Once a piece of furniture says that, there's nothing good left to say about it. 100% leather (esp. in furniture) means they've gathered all the scrap pieces of split leather (and you can split leather for awhile), mix it together with glue and essentially "stamp" it together to make it look like a grain.

Again, don't worry about leather cleaner. It does more harm than good. A damp rag will suffice.

Thank you for all of your help. Even if that sofa is top grain and split leather, do you think it is worth what they want for it?? I am just so scared of being taken for a ride and wasteing my money.

Kelly v

If it's top and split, then yes, I'd say it's a good deal. But I'm leary of a place that advertises something so incredible NOT true on the internet.

Find out what their return policy is. Where I used to work, we had a 30 day satisfaction guarantee. And whatever you do, get everything in writing! If they say there's a return policy, make sure they show you on the receipt where it says so.

Good luck!

I haven't purchased anything yet, still looking. But I will look at their return policy in detail if we do decide to purchase it. This is one I do really like (style wise).
Sorry, but one more question. What do you think of Italian leather?? Sorry to be asking so many question, just glad to talk with someone who knows something about leather furniture!
We found one other sofa, but it said it was Italian leather at another store, what do you think of it??

Thanks again so very, very much!

Kelly V.

I just wanted to add that you have JINXED me, lol... after your warranty question last week. Tonight my husband tilted a spray bottle of Clorox Cleanup on our leather chair and I guess it wasn't screwed all the way tight at the collar and it leaked all over the chair!Made a phone call to La-Z-Boy to find out who I needed to contact, because honestly, I have no idea where my warranty paperwork is. I filled out a claim form online about my "mysterious spill" and will let you know how well the warranties work after 3 years!

I am so sorry Joy! I hope you get it repaired through the warranty. You will have to report back here to let us know how it turns out.
I hope they do not give you a hassle!

Kelly V.

I need to add one thing about the leather, make sure you don't put it to close to an open window or the sun will fade and crack it. You also want to ask the furniture store if they have a leather moisturizer to use. This will help cut down on the dryness. You only use it usually once or twice a year and a little goes a long way but after spending that kind of money a $20 bottle of this will help extend the lifetime of it. I know the furniture store I used to work at gave a bottle of it free when you purchased the stainsafe program.

Any opinion from Fluffy215 or Jessamary on Italian leather (or anyone else that might know)? Is this better, worse or the same as any other leather??
Sorry for the influx of questions on leather, I really need to decide soon as to what we are going to get.

Kelly V.

Good Morning!

Okay, Kelly...Italian Leather is wonderful...BUT make sure they tell you the brand name of the leather or sofa. Just saying "Italian" is cause for concern, but saying "Natuzzi" or "ItalSofa" gives a little more piece of mind.

Fluffy -- The only time you need to be wary of leather cracking and splitting is when it's a composite (think what I described earlier as "100% leather") or when it's a split grain. Top grain should not split or fade. And full-grain (like these jokesters are trying to tell Kelly this couch is made of 100%) You shouldn't need any leather conditioners on top or full-grain. It sounds gross, but the body oils from people sitting on it moisturizes it enough. It also develops a great "patina" which is a smoothing and softening of the leather. Keep in mind leather was alive once.

We have Natuzzi leather furniture in both our living room and morning room....and could never go back to any other brand. It is sooooooooooo comfortable. Worth every penny!

(The living room furniture we've had since 2001 and the other set since 2005...and all of it has been thru a couple moves. Stands up great.)

I love Natuzzi. It is great!

What are the different types of leather used for sofas?

The most common types of leather used for sofas are top-grain, full-grain, corrected-grain, split-grain, and bonded leather.

What is the difference between top-grain and full-grain leather?

Top-grain leather is the top layer of the hide and is the most durable and highest quality. Full-grain leather is the entire thickness of the hide, including the natural marks and imperfections, making it more authentic but also more prone to wear and tear.

What is corrected-grain leather?

Corrected-grain leather is a type of leather that has been buffed and coated to remove imperfections, resulting in a more uniform appearance. It is less expensive than top-grain or full-grain leather but still durable and easy to clean.

What is split-grain leather?

Split-grain leather is made from the lower layers of the hide and is typically thinner and less durable than top-grain or full-grain leather. It is often used for the back and sides of sofas.

What is bonded leather?

Bonded leather is made from scraps of leather that are bonded together with polyurethane or latex. It is less expensive than other types of leather but also less durable and can peel or crack over time.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
sharalam
Replies
Views
lkprescott
  • The_Kitchen_Guy
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
sharalam