• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Diabetic Son: Our Journey with Type 1 Diabetes | Please Keep Us in Your Prayers

In summary, a mother shares that her 13 year old son was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes and they are currently driving to the hospital for him to be hospitalized in the ICU. The son's blood sugars have been high and the mother will be away from her two youngest daughters for the rest of the week. The family is hoping for a "new normal" soon and the mother will be taking her work with her to make calls while they are at the hospital. Other individuals with experience in diabetes offer support and advice. The mother provides updates on her son's condition and expresses gratitude for everyone's prayers.
lockhartkitchen
Please keep us in your prayers. Friday my 13 year old son was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes. We are driving to Dornbecher's now for him to be hospitalized in the ICU so they can get him started on insulin. His sugars have been more than 500 with a completely no sugar and carb weekend. I will be away from my two youngest daughters for the rest of week, teaching (sub) in my room. We hope for "new normal" soon.

I'm taking PC with me to make calls and keep up with clients while we have down time there. We will be more than 1 1/2 hours away from home.

JUlie

Julie,
I am so sorry to hear about your son Good Luck with everything Diabetes is a huge fear for me we have it on both sides of the family and BIL has type 1 also

Thank you for your prayers. I'm sitting getting anxious my mil is still not here to watch the girls so we can leave. My neighbor's gone too. We need to leave because his sugars have gotten high. My FIL (passed away) and BIL both have type 1 juvenelle. We're leaving. My other neighbor is home. My son is at 600 sugars. I'll keep you posted.

Keep us posted Julie!
I'll be thinking about you!

Good luck! You'll be in our prayers - my husband was diagnosed at 13 too. He's 36 now and doing well. They've come a long way with treatment options and although they said there would be a cure by the time he was 30 - they are a lot closer than they were...

I would highly recommend the insulin pump - that really helped him control his blood sugar and also means a lot less shots too.

Hang in there and know that people will be sending good thoughts your way!

Oh gosh. You are all in our prayers!

I have been a type 1 for 32 years if you have any questions please feel free to email me at [email protected].
Lisa

I hope they get it under control - you have a lot of support here and many in similar situations!As listed above, I would recommend the pump too if he can handle it and is recommended for it. I've seen many kids with it being able to enjoy normal activities. It takes a little bit to clean/change (not bad though) and keeps them at a better level.

Update- Thank you for all your prayers. We are still at Dornbecher's but my son was moved from ICU to regular pediatric today because his ketoids (sp) are negative now. He still has very high blood sugar, which is going to take a few days to lower. It is a learning curve for his body and the doctors to get adjusted at a slow pace. My son is mostly bored right now.

Not must sleep Monday night, tested every 2 hours. Starting at 6 AM I was in "class" with a folder full of information I was being trained on until dinner time. The good news about diabetes is things have changed a lot for those diagnosed young. My son will eat all normal foods minus sugar pop and candy. The insulin is given based on the amount of carbs, which we have to count. It's actually not to hard to do. There must be a reason I couldn't access my yahoo email from these hospital computers, but I could access chefsuccess. Thank you for your prayers. I will keep everyone updated.

Julie

Gosh Julie I'm so sorry to hear you are going through this, but I'm so glad your son is getting the help he needs. Hopefully you will be home before you know it!

I'll be praying for you all!

Take Care,

A friend of mine took her daughter in for a physical that the family needed to adopt their foster son (technically, they shouldn't have even been at that point in the adoption process, but they had already gotten the papers for the family to all get physicals). She thought about cancelling because she was so busy, but decided to take the kids in to get it over with. After taking the urine specimen, the nurse asked if Mackensie was diabetic, and my friend said not that she was aware of. They took some blood and sent her home. They called them back that evening and told them to get Mackenzie to the hospital immediately. Her blood sugar was 1050! There is no reason why she shouldn't have been in a coma! Hindsight they saw the symptoms, but they had no idea. God was truely at work in their lives that day.

May God be with your son (and you!) as he adjusts all that he will be dealing with in the coming months!

Spencer is doing much better today. They have his insulin almost dialed in. He should be able to come home tomorrow. We have no school Friday and Monday, so he'll start Tuesday. They have already set up a great protocol and support system with the nurse at the school. With the new insulin, he can eat like a normal 13 year old. He will just count carbs and take the amount of insulin needed. The main thing when noticing the really high blood sugar like Jlie Myers' friend had is your body starts creating Keitodes which eat your body fat. When too many keitodes are present, you can have a seizure and could die. Good thing they caught it. The biggest change will be getting everyone understanding this. Our two daughters (8,4) have been away from us at home. They just know brother is sick and went to the hospital. I'll keep everyone updated.

Julie

We're home! Thanks for all the prayers. Spencer starts school Tuesday. We're starting "new normal" at home now with his two sisters. He is in great spirits.

1. What are the best types of cookware for my diabetic son?

The best types of cookware for a diabetic diet are non-stick, stainless steel, and ceramic. These materials are easy to clean and require little to no added oil or fat during cooking.

2. Can you recommend any recipes that are suitable for diabetics?

Yes, we have a variety of recipes that are specifically designed for diabetics. Our website and cookbooks offer a wide range of options for breakfast, lunch, dinner, and snacks that are low in sugar and carbohydrates.

3. Are there any kitchen gadgets that can help with preparing diabetic-friendly meals?

Yes, there are several kitchen gadgets that can make preparing meals for a diabetic easier. Some examples include a vegetable spiralizer for making zucchini noodles, a food scale for portion control, and a slow cooker for easy and healthy meal prep.

4. How can I modify my current recipes to make them more suitable for a diabetic diet?

There are a few simple modifications you can make to your current recipes to make them more diabetic-friendly. You can substitute sugar with a sugar alternative, use whole wheat or almond flour instead of white flour, and add more vegetables to increase fiber and decrease carbohydrates.

5. Can you recommend any diabetic-friendly snacks?

Some great diabetic-friendly snacks include fresh fruit, Greek yogurt, nuts and seeds, and hummus with vegetables. It's important to choose snacks that are low in sugar and carbohydrates, and high in protein and fiber to help maintain blood sugar levels.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• Jennie4PC
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
lcucinella
  • julyskitchen
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
julyskitchen
  • lockhartkitchen