• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Diabetic Recipes That a Teen Will Like

In summary, My 13 year old son was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes today. Our lives are drastically changing. He will be incilin dependent. This weekend he can have no carbs or sugars. Protein based meals until he's tested again Monday for the amount of incilin he will need. We are having to drastically change our menus at home. We have always eaten healthy, but with diabetes it's not a matter of eating healthy, because even healthy things are off the list. We're having to look at carbs and combinations of foods. When we eat fish, it can't be breaded, etc. Does anyone have any suggestions? Anyone out there that prepares diabetic meals? We're going to have a great support system.
lockhartkitchen
My 13 year old son was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes today. Our lives are drastically changing. He will be incilin dependent. This weekend he can have no carbs or sugars. Protein based meals until he's tested again Monday for the amount of incilin he will need. We are having to drastically change our menus at home. We have always eaten healthy, but with diabetes it's not a matter of eating healthy, because even healthy things are off the list. We're having to look at carbs and combinations of foods. When we eat fish, it can't be breaded, etc. Does anyone have any suggestions? Anyone out there that prepares diabetic meals? We're going to have a great support system. The school has a full-time nurse, we meet with a diatician next week. I want to provide our entire family with food that my son can eat.

My husband was just diagnosed a few months ago as well. Fortunately he can modify his w/his diet and is not off carbs or sugar all together. His blood sugar was about 140. My husband took a 4 week class (they met once a week) to learn how to balance his meals and his entire day of eating. This is the most important thing. One great thing about the PC cookbooks is they give you all the nutritional info. you need to track these things. Many cookbooks don't. That is one of the things I let people know at my shows now.

Make sure they do the test on your son that shows what his sugar has been for a long time - I think it can go back weeks or even a couple of months. With just having Halloween and a lot of candy around at school and possibly home it could have really shot his sugar up. This will give you a better understanding of where it has been. Also if he drank any regular pop/soda it could really spike as well. They told my husband pop/soda is the very worst thing or anything w/corn syrup in it. Our bodies don't recognize corn syrup and don't know how to process it like sugar. So cool aid w/sugar is actually better for those who aren't diabetic. You could make it for him now w/sugar substitute. They told my husband he could have as much diet pop/soda as he wanted.

I don't really make anything special for my husband. I just make sure it is something we can track the nutritional info. on and he knows what he can have. He did have to switch to all wheat bread and if he wants pancakes he has buckwheat ones. If we have pasta we use the whole grain which is much better for him. My children (17, 15 and 12) actually like the whole grain pasta better so that was easy! My 15 year old is VERY picky and really likes it. If we get pizza it is now the very thinest crust w/a lot of veggies. I do avoid anything that is high in carbs though. We have a lot more lean meat and vegies.

If your son doesn't exercise a lot, I would have him try out for a sport at school. Swimming would probably be the best and at our school it's a no cut sport! If you don't have a swim team at school I would highly recommend a club swim team. This would probably be difficult for him at first if he hasn't swam, but a child his age would adapt very quickly. Many people who exercise can get off of insulin. That would be the best thing for him.

I am so sorry you are going through this. It does really turn your life upside down at first, but after a while it all becomes part of your life.

Good luck!

Last edited:
My mother in law make a great trifle for her friend, also a diabetic.

Sugar free pudding, one layer vanilla, one chocolate, she uses skim milk. Also sugar free cool whip, and if she can find them, sugar free graham crackers.
Layers some bananas and strawberries, (although I know they have natural sugar in them, you'll have to know what he can eat).

Best of luck with your new challenge!

1. What are some healthy alternatives for typical teen favorites?

There are plenty of delicious and healthy alternatives for typical teen favorites. Instead of french fries, try making sweet potato fries or baked zucchini sticks. Instead of pizza, try a whole wheat pita pizza with plenty of veggies. Instead of ice cream, try blending frozen bananas for a creamy and natural treat.

2. Are there any quick and easy recipes that are suitable for a busy teen?

Definitely! Some quick and easy recipes that are perfect for busy teens include whole wheat wraps filled with lean protein and veggies, quinoa and veggie stir-fry, and Greek yogurt parfaits with fresh fruit and granola.

3. Can these recipes be modified for different dietary needs?

Yes, most of our diabetic recipes can be easily modified to fit different dietary needs. For example, if you are vegetarian, you can swap out meat for plant-based protein sources like tofu or beans. If you are gluten-free, you can use gluten-free alternatives like brown rice or quinoa instead of wheat pasta.

4. How do I make sure these recipes are diabetic-friendly?

All of our diabetic recipes have been carefully crafted and tested to ensure they are suitable for those with diabetes. We use whole, unprocessed ingredients and limit added sugars and unhealthy fats. However, it's always a good idea to consult with your doctor or a registered dietitian to make sure these recipes fit your specific dietary needs.

5. Can these recipes be used for the whole family, not just for teens with diabetes?

Absolutely! These recipes are not only suitable for teens with diabetes, but also for the whole family. They are all healthy and nutritious options that everyone can enjoy, regardless of their dietary needs. Plus, it's a great way to introduce your family to new and delicious healthy meals.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• wadesgirl
  • Pampered Chef Recipes
Replies
Views
Amanda Goode
  • lockhartkitchen
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
janetupnorth
  • ChefPaulaB