• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Newbie Here: Microwaving Recipes Beyond Cons. Corner

3. Sprinkle with 1/4 c cilantro and 1/4 c cheese blend; fold over to enclose. As tortillas are filled, lay in an 8"x8" baking dish. Pour beef mixture over tortilla stack, then sprinkle with remaining cilantro and cheese. Bake at 350 degrees for 15-20 min or until cheese melts and mixture is hot and bubbly. Serve with sour cream, if desired. LOL! I love this one! Thanks
enjoy2cook2
Hello,
This is my VERY first time on this website and writing on any website like this. I hope I do it correctly.
PS What does everyone mean when they say "PM Me"? I told you I was new!:angel:

My question...
I learned on Monday eve at a Fall KickOff that you can microwave Corn on the Cob (14+/- minutes) and Artichokes (18+/- minutes) in the deep covered baker - VERY EXCITED about that, and I cooked the corn last night. It was delicious! Great for hot summer nights.

Does anyone esle have Microwave recipes that are not posted on Cons. Corner or here? After cooking the pork, I was asked if you could do the same with beef? Anyone know about that?

Thank you!

PM is private message:)

also if you go to the files section and do a search for deep covered baker it should bring up recipes:)

Welcome to Chef Success! I'm sure you will find this site very useful! As Jaime had mentioned, do a search under files (and when you get time, just browse the files - you'll find so many useful flyers, information, etc.) I love my DCB- I make the pork tenderloin in there often, and my husband still can't believe I microwave it (I throw in small potatoes, onions and peppers, too).

Welcome!

By the way, how much water do you put in w/the corn? I'll have to try this one.

Thank you for the welcome and the suggestions!
I went there and found a bunch of great recipes. Which I plan to use. But I didn't find too many microwavable recipes. My Kitchen/FR gets afternoon sun and heats up very fast so I hate to bake anything in the summer. But I still love the baked type foods and the speed of the microwave. And so far the DCB has not dried anything out, which is a big plus.

I saw one posted for Meatloaf in the DCB, and I am excited to try it.

Any microwave recipes in the DCB would be appreciated.

Thanks, again!

enjoy2cook2 said:
Hello,
This is my VERY first time on this website and writing on any website like this. I hope I do it correctly.
PS What does everyone mean when they say "PM Me"? I told you I was new!:angel:

My question...
I learned on Monday eve at a Fall KickOff that you can microwave Corn on the Cob (14+/- minutes) and Artichokes (18+/- minutes) in the deep covered baker - VERY EXCITED about that, and I cooked the corn last night. It was delicious! Great for hot summer nights.

Does anyone esle have Microwave recipes that are not posted on Cons. Corner or here? After cooking the pork, I was asked if you could do the same with beef? Anyone know about that?

Thank you!

Welcome! Your post worked, so you did everything right!!:D

When you did the corn (or artichokes for that matter) do you have to add any water or do they steam by themselves? I am assuming the corn is husked and de-silked? That is great news! I want to share that with my customers, but wasn't sure about adding any water!

The only meats I have done were the pork tenderloin and the whole chicken. I would assume beef tenderloin would cook the same? Don't know though!:blushing:

I don't remember being told to put water in it, but as a precaution I just took a small drinking glass and filled it half way. I am guessing 1/2 to 3/4 cups, and poured it in the bottom.
Not sure if I said it but I was told 4 ears, and I did 4 with plenty of room for 2-3 more. So I would just add time if adding more.
Also, for the artichokes I was told 2 large ones, which normally take 45+ minutes to cook.

Oops, I keep replying before seeing new questions. I did add water (see previous post) and I did de-husk and clean the corn.

This is the Enchilada Casserole from our newest cookbook that comes out Sept 1st: (it calls for the deep dish baker, but you could make extra layers and make it in our DCB- it's smaller in diameter, but deeper so it should work!)

1 lb 95% lean ground beef
1 T Southwestern Seasoning Mix
1/4 t salt
1 can enchilada sauce
3/4 c water
1/2 c medium thick and chunky salsa
12 (6") yellow corn tortillas
1/4 c snipped fresh cilantro, divided
1 c shredded colby and monterey jack cheese blend, divided
sour cream and lime wedges (optional)

1. Combine beef, seasoning mix and salt in 10" Skillet; cook over med-hi heat 8-10 min or until beef is no longer pink, breaking beef into crumbles using Mix 'N Chop. Add enchilada sauce, water and salsa to Skillet. Bring to a simmer and remove fom heat.

2. As beef mixture cooks, place tortillas in a stack and cut into 1" pieces using Pizza Cutter. Snip cilantro using Kitchen Shears.

3. Arrange half of the tortillas evenly over bottom of Deep Dish Baker; top with half of the beef mixture and half of the cheese. Sprinkle 2 T of the cilantro over cheese. Top with remaining tortillas, beef mixture and cheese.

4. Microwave baker on HIGH 3-5 min or until cheese is melted. Garnish with remaining 2 T cilantro. Serve w/ sour cream and lime wedges, if desired.

Yield: 6 servings

Wow! Corn on the cob in the DCB! That is a great tip.

this is a stupid question, but here it goes anyways....... do you put the lid on it while cooking the corn or arties?? :blushing:

KellyTheChef said:
This is the Enchilada Casserole from our newest cookbook that comes out Sept 1st: (it calls for the deep dish baker, but you could make extra layers and make it in our DCB- it's smaller in diameter, but deeper so it should work!)

1 lb 95% lean ground beef
1 T Southwestern Seasoning Mix
1/4 t salt
1 can enchilada sauce
3/4 c water
1/2 c medium thick and chunky salsa
12 (6") yellow corn tortillas
1/4 c snipped fresh cilantro, divided
1 c shredded colby and monterey jack cheese blend, divided
sour cream and lime wedges (optional)

1. Combine beef, seasoning mix and salt in 10" Skillet; cook over med-hi heat 8-10 min or until beef is no longer pink, breaking beef into crumbles using Mix 'N Chop. Add enchilada sauce, water and salsa to Skillet. Bring to a simmer and remove fom heat.

2. As beef mixture cooks, place tortillas in a stack and cut into 1" pieces using Pizza Cutter. Snip cilantro using Kitchen Shears.

3. Arrange half of the tortillas evenly over bottom of Deep Dish Baker; top with half of the beef mixture and half of the cheese. Sprinkle 2 T of the cilantro over cheese. Top with remaining tortillas, beef mixture and cheese.

4. Microwave baker on HIGH 3-5 min or until cheese is melted. Garnish with remaining 2 T cilantro. Serve w/ sour cream and lime wedges, if desired.

Yield: 6 servings

Kelly! Great idea! I hadn't thought of using the DCB for this - I'm going to try it and that will just be one more great recipe for the DCB if it works. Now if we just had a "genius" smilie - I'd put one here for you. Instead, I'll just say - you are an angel!:angel:

Can someone please give me the nutritional info. for the Enchilada Casserole?

ChefBeckyD said:
Kelly! Great idea! I hadn't thought of using the DCB for this - I'm going to try it and that will just be one more great recipe for the DCB if it works. Now if we just had a "genius" smilie - I'd put one here for you. Instead, I'll just say - you are an angel!:angel:
Awww...shucks! :blushing: :blushing:

Don't thank me...thank Dianevill! She posted the recipe over on the thread where someone was looking for it! I just read through the recipe right after I had been on this thread and thought: If it will fit in the DDB, it will fit in the DCB!!

:blushing: :blushing:

No problem w/ the recipe (in fact, it was funny when I saw this thread, because I was sad that someone else had to re-type the recipe after I posted it - glad to see that wasn't the case) . Here's the nutritional info Rhonda requested:

340 calories, 14 g fat, 6 g saturated fat, 65 mg cholesterol, 33 g carbohydrate, 24 g protein, 750 mg sodium, 6 g fiber.

For you fellow WW followers, it's 7 Points per serving

We're having it for supper tonight - can't wait!

Cover or no cover????Do you put the lid on the DCB while cooking??

I've done a very nice tasting beef stew in the DCB in the microwave (cover on)! You have to play with the liquid and times amount (first time I did it, I did not have enough liquid and meat was a little tough!). Also, it helps to have a micro with turn table and that you can set the power level at 5 or 7 (50% or 70%) so that you don't over cook food. I've also done potatoes in micro in DCB.

For the enchilada casserole I would say no cover (I only say this because the deep dish baker doesn't have a cover and that's what the recipe is originally designed for).

Thanks for the replies with the cover. I am wondering if she put the cover on with the corn too. Any guesses. I think it sounds wonderful!

Smashie said:
Thanks for the replies with the cover. I am wondering if she put the cover on with the corn too. Any guesses. I think it sounds wonderful!
Don't know for sure...my best is cover ON for the corn or artichokes!:balloon:

Smashie said:

Haven't tried it yet - but I would guess cover on - for steaming the corn.

Smashie said:

My guess is yes. I've done corn in pyrex in the micro before and you do cover that. Same with the artichokes.

Also, 1/2 cup of liquid is far more than you would need. Maybe 1/4 cup - for both of them. Even that might be more than enough. Again, I'm going by using pyrex. I've done cooked corn for 10 minutes on about 60% power and had it come out wonderful. I like corn on the cob crisp, so keep that in mind when you read my times.

I agree - I would do cover on for corn. I've done the smaller cobs (the frozen kind) in the large micro-cooker and have had the cover on (as Becky said, for steaming purposes).

Posted at the same time, Sandy :D . I would only use a few tablespoons of water, esp. if you're putting the cover on. When I do a whole bag of frozen veggies I only use a few tablespoons and still end up draining it off.

Yes, you do put the cover on for both the corn and the artichokes.

I do have a turntable in my microwave so I didn't turn them, but if you don't then I would turn them every so often. Not sure how often, since I don't have to.:confused:

Sorry I didn't reply fast enough. I wasn't on the computer.

Oops, didn't see the 2nd page.

I measured how much water I used, and it was about 1/3-1/2 cup. Enough to cover the bottom, but it sounds like I don't need to use that much. Worked fine, though. I will try less as I also like it crispy. Ususlly BBQ it but this is much faster.

Thanks for all of the info.

dianevill said:
Posted at the same time, Sandy :D . I would only use a few tablespoons of water, esp. if you're putting the cover on. When I do a whole bag of frozen veggies I only use a few tablespoons and still end up draining it off.
I never add water at all with frozen vegetables and it always comes out perfect.

BethCooks4U said:
I never add water at all with frozen vegetables and it always comes out perfect.
I don't either if they are frozen veggies. I think they put off enough water and I really don't like watery vegetables...you know...the big bowl of canned corn in CORN WATER that you see at potlucks?:yuck: Yea. Mine NEVER looks like that!

I can't wait to get some corn on the cob and test this out!!

You're right - I could probably skip the tablespoon of water. One less step works for me :thumbup: .

dianevill said:
You're right - I could probably skip the tablespoon of water. One less step works for me :thumbup: .

Yea! :balloon: We converted you! :D

Thanks for posting the Enchilada recipe. Can't wait to try it.

:thumbup: :balloon: OH and I hadn't thought about corn in the DCB what a great idea! I haven't done artichokes ever, I love them, I just have never cooked them. I will have to try.:balloon:

Update from the Home OfficeRe: Corn and Artichokes in the micro - I emailed the home office to see if they had any info on the water, not water, how much water thing and this was their response. I didn't use the husks and mine were delicious without, but will give it a try to see if it changes the outcome. They also don't say how many. I did 4 cobs for 14 minutes and could have used 1-2 minutes more.

From the Home Office Test Kitchen...

Dawn,

Corn in the Deep Covered Baker.

Discard tough outer husks and silk of corn. Reserve tender inner husks and rinse under water. Trim stems off cobs. Line bottom of Deep Covered Baker with half of husks. Add corn, top with remaining husks and ¼ cup water. Cover and microwave on HIGH 8-10 minutes or until cooked through.

I would put a small amount of water in for the artichokes as well.

Hope this information helps,

The Pampered Chef Test Kitchen
[email protected]

Does anyone know why or what the purpose of lining the baker with the husks and then put remaining husks on top of corn would be. Just curious.

Probably to hold in more of the moisture so they steam more efficiently.

I agree with Ann, makes sense to me!;)

Whenever I do my corn on the grill, I soak them (whole, not husked) in water and then put them straight on the grill. You would think that the silk would be a pain to remove, but actually it comes of EASIER once wet and cooked! It all comes off together.

When I get some corn, I will try "my" way....just adding a small amount of water and cooking. Then, I will de-husk and de-silk after they are cooked. I will post my results!

Another tip for husking corn when grilling (we grill ours with the husk and silk on too). After grilling, put the corn in a large paper grocery bag, close it, and let sit for 5-10 minutes. Then de-husk and de-silk. It's a breeze!

dianevill said:
Another tip for husking corn when grilling (we grill ours with the husk and silk on too). After grilling, put the corn in a large paper grocery bag, close it, and let sit for 5-10 minutes. Then de-husk and de-silk. It's a breeze!
Thanks for that tip Diane!! I will definately pass that along!

KellyTheChef said:
Whenever I do my corn on the grill, I soak them (whole, not husked) in water and then put them straight on the grill. You would think that the silk would be a pain to remove, but actually it comes of EASIER once wet and cooked! It all comes off together.

When I get some corn, I will try "my" way....just adding a small amount of water and cooking. Then, I will de-husk and de-silk after they are cooked. I will post my results!

I forgot, I had ONE piece of corn sitting in my frig from a neighbor's garden. So, I tried it out! Little water in the bottom of my DCB and just through the corn in whole.

I would say this ranks a close second to doing it straight on the grill! Nothing can replace the taste that the GRILL adds to the corn, but boy was this good!

I think it's too easy to overcook the corn when you are boiling it and it can take away from the flavor of the corn.

Now...you may want to pull off some of the outer husks (like HO said) but I would only bother with that if you were trying to make room for more corn in the DCB!

enjoy2cook2 said:
Does anyone esle have Microwave recipes that are not posted on Cons. Corner or here?
Thank you!

Here is a recipe for Chicken Enchiladas. I have made these many times in my Rect. Baker in the oven for a demo...every time the pan is licked clean!! :love: :love:

Anyhow, I was thinking that this could possibly be done in the DCB, so I tried it tonight. I made the chicken in there first (3 chicken breasts, a little bit of water, and I sprinkled them with Jerk Seasoning) 10 minutes on 80% power. That made a lot of chicken, so I cut it all up and froze half of it for another batch of these another time!

ETA: 8 enchiladas would not fit across the bottom of this pan, so I made kindof short and fat ones and only made 5. That way, it made a single layer across the bottom!

Other changes are noted right on the recipe!

Attachments

• Campbell Soup Chicken Enchilada.doc
    20.5 KB · Views: 294
Other Recipes Using Microwave & DCBThe Pork Tenderloin has been a success using the microwave but now people are asking us what else you can make with this pan in the microwave but we have no idea. Any suggestions that you've tried & come out well?

Thanks!
Joe & Diane

I made scalloped and au gratin potatoes.

So has anyone actually tried the DCB for the Enchilladas? I am getting ready to make up my Sept host packets and want to know if I should offer it or not. It does show both the cookware and the Oct special.

How long fin the microwave for the artichokes?

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• PCSarahjm
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
Becca_in_MD
Replies
Views
Brenda.the.chef
  • lovenpc
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies