• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Deceptive Direct Sales Tactics or Just a Misunderstanding?

In summary, the other direct sales company's rep came to my house to take before and after shots for her portfolio for her business and tried to get me to become a consultant. I told her that I was committed to PC and that I wasn't interested in becoming a consultant for her company.
dannyzmom
Gold Member
I got an email from a (enter name of other direct sales company) rep who I had been in put in contact with by a past host years ago who said this gal runs a fun ladies networking group. After sending out my March newsletter, she emailed me asking if I wouldn't mind coming to one of her company's meetings because she needed some faces to use to do before and after pics for her portfolio for her business.

I thought, "Sure...as a woman in DS, I am always happy to help out other women in DS" ...right? So we went back & forth for a while realizing her meeting dates don't work for my schedule. So this week she suggests she should just come to my house to do my before and after shots - and she'll give me a free lipstick for my time. I told her she didn't need to give me anythign free for my time, as I am happy to help another direct sales woman.

Today she comes over. She's in the biz 11 years...and she doesn't really do up my face...she put me thru an entire (enter name of her company) show/sales pitch...from cleansers to make-up to hand scrubs, perfumes etc. I didn't even give her the chance to start any recruiting crap with me - told her how completely devoted I am to PC...she ends by asking me what I would like to get today.

I was led to believe I was just going to be helping her out by letting her do my face and take before and after shots.

I called my friend who used to be a director with this same company and she said "You are so vaive - you've been railroaded" LOL This is what they are trained to say/do to get into your home or get you to a meeting of theirs.

I feel insulted.

I ended up buying $15 worth of stuff because I felt bad...but sheesh!!!!

Awww, you are so beautiful when you are naive!

Hmm...I remember that company...I think I know exactly which one it yes..."Yeah, you'd make some great before/after shots. Can I do your make-up and take pictures and enter you in a contest to help me out? I need to get "X" number of entries and I think you'll have a great chance of winning. By the way, this looked great on you, want to buy some? You might have a chance of winning "X"."Sound similar? That was 1992...

Oh Carolyn, I have heard of this happening in the past to people. It's so wrong and talk about turning you off the biz.

If this is the big company that starts with an "m" . . . My sister-in-law is with them. I went to one of their meetings as a model. It felt like a religious ceremony. It was happy, and upbeat -- but it was like I needed to come back/join or feel guilty.

There is a lady in my PC cluster that was with this same company and is using PC to pay off the $7K debt she developed by buying inventory with this same company.

I do like some of their products, but the approach is nauseating. It makes me "afraid" of coming across the same way with PC if I follow a script or make the calls that we have to make to do business.

...oh and Carolyn - I've met you...knowing your educational background and other things, I WOULD NOT call you naive.Sorry you had to deal with that.I HATE deceptive sales...Did I say how I really feel yet?

Call her and tell her you want to cancel your order. You were misled!

Oh Carolyn! I'm sorry, I did the same thing but we ended up doing a swap. Gosh, that really sucks!

ICK! I've had the "before/after" shots done, too, and did buy a couple of things, but I was already a customer, and she knew I was committed to PC, so she didn't even attempt to recruit me (although she always lays the hints that I could sign up just to get the discount). I just let her know that PC doesn't let me be a consultant in 2 businesses when I'm a director, and she knows that's my goal, so she leaves me alone. But, I'd be pissed if someone pulled this on me and wasn't totally honest about it. That's why I love PC - we don't pull a sham over people to get them to buy our stuff - we just have to show them or talk about the products, and they sell themselves!!

dannyzmom said:
I got an email from a (enter name of other direct sales company) rep who I had been in put in contact with by a past host years ago who said this gal runs a fun ladies networking group. After sending out my March newsletter, she emailed me asking if I wouldn't mind coming to one of her company's meetings because she needed some faces to use to do before and after pics for her portfolio for her business.

I thought, "Sure...as a woman in DS, I am always happy to help out other women in DS" ...right? So we went back & forth for a while realizing her meeting dates don't work for my schedule. So this week she suggests she should just come to my house to do my before and after shots - and she'll give me a free lipstick for my time. I told her she didn't need to give me anythign free for my time, as I am happy to help another direct sales woman.

Today she comes over. She's in the biz 11 years...and she doesn't really do up my face...she put me thru an entire (enter name of her company) show/sales pitch...from cleansers to make-up to hand scrubs, perfumes etc. I didn't even give her the chance to start any recruiting crap with me - told her how completely devoted I am to PC...she ends by asking me what I would like to get today.

I was led to believe I was just going to be helping her out by letting her do my face and take before and after shots.

I called my friend who used to be a director with this same company and she said "You are so vaive - you've been railroaded" LOL This is what they are trained to say/do to get into your home or get you to a meeting of theirs.

I feel insulted.

I ended up buying $15 worth of stuff because I felt bad...but sheesh!!!!

I was trapped in a room with one of those women! Her version of the full service checkout was more like an interrogation room!:eek: I couldn't wait to get away ~ but she wasn't letting me go - even though I had told her repeatedly that I loved what I do and had no interest in her business.

Then, on my birthday, she called me and said that I could order anything I wanted for 50% off. But the catch was, she had to bring it to me....couldn't just mail it to me. She wanted to schedule a time to "drop it off". I decided there wasn't anything I needed, even at 50% off. If she actually got her body inside my house - where could I go to get away from her?:eek: :eek:

Sorry you had to go through that Carolyn! That took some nerve...and she really had some determination too, didn't she?

This must be a marketing thing that's making the rounds right now. I've had two rep from there make comments to me about the before and after shots for their books...I just tell them I already have a consultant. (I do actually, but she's got too much class to take that type approach.) Sorry you had to experience that kind of hard sell...makes you want to give them the heave-ho, doesn't it?!

Ick. Makes you want to go take a shower, no?

DebbieJ said:

He-he - and not JUST to wash off the make-up! LOL!

I would be so embarassed to act this way with a customer... the nerve! I would have thrown her out of my house and told her what I thought of her "practices" I would have then written to the company and complained!

I have a friend with that company and I do buy some of their stuff, but she tried that on me one time. She wanted to come over and take pictures and go through her whole recruiting spill with me to get practice. I just told her that my schedule would not allow for me to do that right now and left it at that. She should have been more honest with you.

Geez, can't they just say

"Hi, I am a consultant with XYZ company...we have some really great products that you should try. They have changed my life and I would love to show you how they work. Can we set up a date?"

Oh, sorry, this is what WE SAY!!!!

No deception here, just the straight out truth!

I haven't heard about this, but I had been wondering about the nerve of one of those consultants I met at a bridal fair. I had wanted to be nice to her, and was actually thinking of doing a show for her, but when I looked seriously at my schedule I decided now was just not a good time. I told her that, and I used strong language, because I get frustrated when people try to spare my feelings and end up stringing me along. Well, her response was, Oh, let's just pencil something in and we can change it later if we have to. I just thought that was way too pushy when I had told her it wasn't a good time for me to do a show right now. Too bad they don't realize there are other products out there that you need less pushiness to sell! (Like ours, of course!) ;)

I have been suckered into the same pitch, but think about it, when we tell someone they "won a free cooking show" we're kind of doing the same thing. We just have a better approach.

DebbieJ said:

Oh and if you could ONLY see what my face looks like right now. It's spackled on. I look like a cross between 80's punk and streetwalker ...

Does their company condone and endorse this? If so, wow!:thumbdown:

Funny, I can think of two cosmetic companies that begin with M...the one that is headquartered less than 10 miles from my house does have some aggressive consultants, but they usually start with a 'compliment' (You have such beautiful skin!) as their lead-in. Since there are so many consultants in my area, I tell them that I already know over half a dozen consultants for their company but offer to give them referrals in their city if anyone asks me. The other one didn't ask me to do before and after pictures, but did ask me to help her by letting her practice. My husband thought it was caked on too heavily but I wasn't going out, so it didn't really matter. I only wear makeup for special occasions; my day job and regular Sunday church attendance doesn't count as a special occasion. I tell the consultants that I'm too lazy for their skincare routines and plan to live with my wrinkles!With the exception of our Pantry items, at least you can honestly tell your guests that our products don't expire!

linojackie said:
I have been suckered into the same pitch, but think about it, when we tell someone they "won a free cooking show" we're kind of doing the same thing. We just have a better approach.

Which would be why I don't do that either.....

I had a positive experience. My neighbor is an M consultant. Through her email ( I gave permission to put me on the list) I saw the opportunity to enter for free product. I thought it would be fun, so I asked her. We had a lot of fun. I tried a variety of products and got to know my new neighbor better. THere has never been pushiness, because that's not her character. She's honest and helpful. Sorry you have all had a bad experience. I'm almost 40, next year, and I get a lot of comments of how I can't possibly have a 14 year old. I don't look old enough. Most people guess my age 10 years younger.

linojackie said:

I don't do this...ever.

Get this...I got TWO of these (pink ladies) Carolyn via Home Office leads! SUCKS! (Sorry, but it hit a bad cord with me) So basically I was OUT with 2 NON leads. They train their new consultants to do this. I was a sucker once, but not the second time...which happened to occur within 5 days :eek: of the first!

THEN.........I get another HO lead (a week later! :yuck: )...a guy from H & R Block! He KNOWS (because he said so!) leads go to Directors...who have cluster meetings. He wanted to do a "tax" info night at my meeting ~ Are you kidding me? Oh Heck No ~ I wouldn't WASTE my team's meeting time with that.

For these 3 reasons, above, I wish HO would "screen" these leads...waste of my time...

Sorry, I'm usually not this negative, but this thread hit home for me.

I agree with the sentiments expressed in this thread and have been approached by some very aggressive consultants in other direct sales companies too. What a pain and waste of time but you know if they get 1 in 10 they're gonna keep using that method...

They don't have to take us up on it. The show happens because they wanted it to and giving them the free show might be just the thing that gets them to decide to do it now.

I wanted to comment on the free cooking show idea though. I do not see it as the same at all. We say "you won a free cooking show" and that gets their attention. Then we explain that means we'll provide recipe ingredients and send their invitations and they invite their friends over and in exchange they get free products and deep discounts.

BethCooks4U said:
I wanted to comment on the free cooking show idea though. I do not see it as the same at all. We say "you won a free cooking show" and that gets their attention. Then we explain that means we'll provide recipe ingredients and send their invitations and they invite their friends over and in exchange they get free products and deep discounts.

They don't have to take us up on it. The show happens because they wanted it to and giving them the free show might be just the thing that gets them to decide to do it now.

I posted on this subject in another thread, and I think that it may be a good tool to help entice the person to book a show. As long as you aren't mis-representing yourself or your business I think its ok to offer these, even though I've never done it before.

I have to share though, I went to another "direct sales" show not too long ago, and at the end of the show, the consultant passed around the dice and there was a "key" to explain what you won if you rolled a certain number... but she didn't show us the "key" until after we rolled! Well two of the spots said "prize", two more said "prize and free show" and the other two said "free show." I roll the dice and of course I have won a PRIZE and a FREE SHOW! Well I thought ok... so maybe the "prize" would be worth it, like an actual gift of some kind... especially since my roll had gotten the consultant a booking also... Well the prize was one of the 4/$1 candles you see at dollar tree and then I was suckered into booking a show that I didn't really want! She didn't give us an option "NOT" to roll the dice and almost everyone was pushed into booking a show. I ended up cx mine a week and a half before the show date, and did not reschedule it, and I told the consultant she could have her candle back. If you have to TRICK people into doing shows, then something is wrong! Ya know?

*Sorry for the major hi-jack, just venting here!*:blushing:

Ginny,Whenever that happens, call HO IMMEDIATELY and talk with a supervisor in Career Solutions. They should put you back at the top of the list.

Kitchen2u said:
Get this...I got TWO of these (pink ladies) Carolyn via Home Office leads! SUCKS! (Sorry, but it hit a bad cord with me) So basically I was OUT with 2 NON leads. They train their new consultants to do this. I was a sucker once, but not the second time...which happened to occur within 5 days :eek: of the first!THEN.........I get another HO lead (a week later! :yuck: )...a guy from H & R Block! He KNOWS (because he said so!) leads go to Directors...who have cluster meetings. He wanted to do a "tax" info night at my meeting ~ Are you kidding me? Oh Heck No ~ I wouldn't WASTE my team's meeting time with that. For these 3 reasons, above, I wish HO would "screen" these leads...waste of my time...Sorry, I'm usually not this negative, but this thread hit home for me.
There are several companies who do this. It happens because consultants leave PC and move on to what they think are "greener pastures." They know the leads go to Directors so they contact HO and sign up as a lead and then pitch the director. A few years ago, my former director was contacted by 4 different TOHE consultants (all HO leads) wanting to recruit her. Since she was a director, they felt that she "knew what it takes" to be successful and wanted to recruit her telling her she could "get in" on the ground floor and have a TON of success in a very short time. It's a sad and pathetic desperation tactic in my opinion.

dannyzmom said:
I don't do this...ever.

Usually though, if you are doing a fair, your sign clearly states...register for a free cooking show...if they were not interested, they would not enter..and also if you called them, explained, etc, and they didn't want to do a party at that time, they'd just say no, but thanks anyway...etc...I don't feel it's really deceptive...Carolyn, YOU didn't sign up for a fake photo shoot to try to be recruited, I think that's different! LOL To which you could have said ummm....NO! :yuck:

bsaxman said:
I posted on this subject in another thread, and I think that it may be a good tool to help entice the person to book a show. As long as you aren't mis-representing yourself or your business I think its ok to offer these, even though I've never done it before.

I have to share though, I went to another "direct sales" show not too long ago, and at the end of the show, the consultant passed around the dice and there was a "key" to explain what you won if you rolled a certain number... but she didn't show us the "key" until after we rolled! Well two of the spots said "prize", two more said "prize and free show" and the other two said "free show." I roll the dice and of course I have won a PRIZE and a FREE SHOW! Well I thought ok... so maybe the "prize" would be worth it, like an actual gift of some kind... especially since my roll had gotten the consultant a booking also... Well the prize was one of the 4/$1 candles you see at dollar tree and then I was suckered into booking a show that I didn't really want! She didn't give us an option "NOT" to roll the dice and almost everyone was pushed into booking a show. I ended up cx mine a week and a half before the show date, and did not reschedule it, and I told the consultant she could have her candle back. If you have to TRICK people into doing shows, then something is wrong! Ya know?

*Sorry for the major hi-jack, just venting here!*:blushing:

I have heard of the rolling the dice game in other threads on here.... I think Scott does a version of it. (Although he does give people the option to NOT roll the dice if they don't want to.) But still, it sounds just wrong to me. I guess maybe it takes an attitude I don't have (and, in my opinion, the person you witnessed doing the game didn't have it either) to make it work.

cmdtrgd said:
Ginny,

Whenever that happens, call HO IMMEDIATELY and talk with a supervisor in Career Solutions. They should put you back at the top of the list.

Funny you should mention that Kate ~ I have! The answer I got was "there's no such policy to putting you back on the top" ~ even checked with our Regioinal Sales Rep...

Kitchen2u said:
Funny you should mention that Kate ~ I have! The answer I got was "there's no such policy to putting you back on the top" ~ even checked with our Regioinal Sales Rep...
That's what I have been told too.

I understand wanting to be put back on the top of the lead list but personally I don't think it's fair that some bad leads are recognized as bad and the director gets put back in the system ahead of someone else and other bad leads get the too bad for you response. I would bet that's why we are now hearing they won't do it.

They are right. There is no guarantee that a lead will be good. Some people delight in playing games with people (those no response people or those like the one I had with the email of [email protected] and a name of a b - and PC said "well, that could be a real email and name" - hello!?!) and there are some who are mad at PC and take it out on us by messing with our system or...

I am happy they are requiring more information of the leads again so we at least have a better chance for good leads. For quite a while all the leads I got were bad - all of them. Now it seems to be back to just over half being at least an order.

BethCooks4U said:
I am happy they are requiring more information of the leads again so we at least have a better chance for good leads. For quite a while all the leads I got were bad - all of them. Now it seems to be back to just over half being at least an order.

I'm just happy for getting leads! :D :love: :D I WISH they would REQUIRE a phone # though...hard to follow-up if they don't answer emails.

Kitchen2u said:
I'm just happy for getting leads! :D :love: :D I WISH they would REQUIRE a phone # though...hard to follow-up if they don't answer emails.
I submitted that request recently and have noticed that lately I have been getting the numbers but perhaps it's just that those leads really did want me to call!

Email web support and tell them how you feel. They do listen to us. In my email I pointed out that we are taught that an email or mailing is useless if we don't follow up with a CALL so how can they expect us to be effective if they don't require a number for us to be able to do our job.

It doesn't always work though... I got a phone number for the local pancake house and no, she didn't work there. So if it's "required" there is still a way around that.I remember back in college my friends and I would give bogus phone numbers to guys that asked us for our numbers. It's not a new trick.

finley1991 said:
It doesn't always work though... I got a phone number for the local pancake house and no, she didn't work there. So if it's "required" there is still a way around that.

I remember back in college my friends and I would give bogus phone numbers to guys that asked us for our numbers. It's not a new trick.

Back in the day for me...no fake numbers. When a guy would ask we would say No thanks I am driving or No thnaks I already ate. It seemed to throw them off enough!! LOL!!

Those of you older than 40 - remember when you could call a phone number for the current local time and date? That's the number I used to give out!

pamperedlinda said:
Those of you older than 40 - remember when you could call a phone number for the current local time and date? That's the number I used to give out!

Hey Linda, I remember that! (But I am not older than 40.) That is a great idea! I wish I had known it in college! :blushing:

And did any of you ever only have to dial 5 numbers to get to someone else in your own town??

jbachen said:
Hey Linda, I remember that! (But I am not older than 40.) That is a great idea! I wish I had known it in college! :blushing:

And did any of you ever only have to dial 5 numbers to get to someone else in your own town??
Yep! I grew up in a rural area, and I remember always just dialing 5 numbers...and being upset when it changed to 7. And for a time, our phone was on a party line! We actually had to share our phone line with several other households!

I grew up in Miami so I always had to dial 7 numbers. But, my grandparents live in a tiny town and we only had to dial 4 numbers. Now I live in Altanta and we have to dial 10 numbers.....times they are a changin!

I still remember my phone # from when I was a kid AND my BFF's # from then,too....I think it is because we only had to really remember the last 4 #'s!
I grew up in podunk Alabama and we didn't get a 2nd exchange in our town until about 10 years ago!

pamperedlinda said:

Luckily, I had just swallowed my drink of water or it would have been spewed all over the keyboard and monitor. That is FUNNY!

We have to dial 10 numbers in MI too. My BFF was visiting me last fall and went to make a call to one of our friends and she couldn't get through. She looked at me funny and asked me if I had paid my bill because the call wouldn't go through. I told her she needed to dial the area code first and then she said, "But it's a local number..." She couldn't believe that and ironically she lives in CA!!!!!My grandma had a party line when we were kids. I remember the different # of rings for her phone to know if the call was for her... she was 3 quick rings. And in that town it was only 5 numbers to call locally.

I used to give out 867-5309:D

krzymomof4 said:

Yeah, but every once in awhile an intelligent guy would ask and that wouldn't work.

Trying going to an engineering school with practically all men with high IQs (but lacking in social skills). They wouldn't fall for that... :cry:

Is this company a DSA member? Is this allowed?

Recently (since Jo Price left for the other company, the name escapes me) I have been getting e-mails from this company...it Bath & Body something.

I keep hitting block and bounce this e-mail, but it makes me wonder. Yes, I know there are tons of ways of companies getting your e-mail address, but this one made it just a bit further through my spam, junk and all other kinds of filters.

krzymomof4 said:
:sing: :sing: Jenny, Jenny, who can I turn to???:sing: :sing:

<h2>1. What exactly are deceptive direct sales tactics?</h2><p>Deceptive direct sales tactics refer to any tactics used by a salesperson to mislead or manipulate a potential customer into making a purchase or joining their company. These tactics can include making false promises, using high-pressure sales techniques, or withholding important information about the product or company.</p><h2>2. Is it common for direct sales representatives to use deceptive tactics?</h2><p>While not all direct sales representatives use deceptive tactics, unfortunately it is not uncommon for some to do so. This is why it is important for consumers to be aware of these tactics and know their rights as a customer.</p><h2>3. How can I protect myself from falling for deceptive direct sales tactics?</h2><p>One way to protect yourself is to do your research before making a purchase or joining a company. Look into the company's reputation and read reviews from other customers. Also, don't be afraid to ask questions and clarify any information that seems unclear or too good to be true. Trust your instincts and don't feel pressured to make a decision on the spot.</p><h2>4. What should I do if I feel like I have been a victim of deceptive direct sales tactics?</h2><p>If you feel like you have been taken advantage of by a direct sales representative, you should first try to resolve the issue with the company directly. If that does not work, you can file a complaint with the Federal Trade Commission or your state's Attorney General's office. You can also report the deceptive tactics to the Direct Selling Association, which is a trade association for the direct sales industry.</p><h2>5. How can I differentiate between a genuine networking opportunity and a deceptive direct sales tactic?</h2><p>A genuine networking opportunity will usually involve making connections and building relationships with other professionals in your industry, without any pressure to make a purchase or join a company. If a networking opportunity turns into a sales pitch or if you feel like you are being pressured to buy something, it is likely a deceptive direct sales tactic. Trust your instincts and don't be afraid to say no or walk away if you feel uncomfortable.</p>

1. What exactly are deceptive direct sales tactics?

Deceptive direct sales tactics refer to any tactics used by a salesperson to mislead or manipulate a potential customer into making a purchase or joining their company. These tactics can include making false promises, using high-pressure sales techniques, or withholding important information about the product or company.

2. Is it common for direct sales representatives to use deceptive tactics?

While not all direct sales representatives use deceptive tactics, unfortunately it is not uncommon for some to do so. This is why it is important for consumers to be aware of these tactics and know their rights as a customer.

3. How can I protect myself from falling for deceptive direct sales tactics?

One way to protect yourself is to do your research before making a purchase or joining a company. Look into the company's reputation and read reviews from other customers. Also, don't be afraid to ask questions and clarify any information that seems unclear or too good to be true. Trust your instincts and don't feel pressured to make a decision on the spot.

4. What should I do if I feel like I have been a victim of deceptive direct sales tactics?

If you feel like you have been taken advantage of by a direct sales representative, you should first try to resolve the issue with the company directly. If that does not work, you can file a complaint with the Federal Trade Commission or your state's Attorney General's office. You can also report the deceptive tactics to the Direct Selling Association, which is a trade association for the direct sales industry.

5. How can I differentiate between a genuine networking opportunity and a deceptive direct sales tactic?

A genuine networking opportunity will usually involve making connections and building relationships with other professionals in your industry, without any pressure to make a purchase or join a company. If a networking opportunity turns into a sales pitch or if you feel like you are being pressured to buy something, it is likely a deceptive direct sales tactic. Trust your instincts and don't be afraid to say no or walk away if you feel uncomfortable.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• NooraK
  • Business, Marketing and Customer Service
Replies
Views
frozenchef
  • NooraK
  • Business, Marketing and Customer Service
Replies
Views
NooraK
  • DanielleQ