• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Cable vs Satellite: Which Provider is Best?

In summary, Tammy is debating whether she should switch to Dish Network or Direct TV. She has had both and likes Direct TV better. Direct TV has a one-year deal that is cheaper than Dish Network's trial period prices.
Intrepid_Chef
Silver Member
I have about had it with the bad service and high rates offered by my cable provider and am mulling going with a satelite dish.

Anybody have any ideas on which provider is better?

My friends have DishNetwork. They have a great intro deal. However, the intro only lasts 6 months and their package is missing several channels I like.

My phone company (AT&T) has a bundle deal with DirectTv ... they include the channels I like but their prices after the year intro rate are ridiculous.

I'm on direct & like them MUCH more than dish which is what my boyfriends family has. I'd go direct before dish. I don't know much about the new thing at&t has now it is something different from direct.

I would NEVER EVER EVER use dish again. I will try to make this short. I moved out of state and sold my house but had not bought a new house yet. I called them and explained this to them and would put my account on hold for a few months. So I kept the DVR boxes and I figured they got the dish. (I was already in a different state) SO forward 2 months. I was ready to get Dish but Direct TV had internet options with phone and dish didn't so I called to cancel. They were supposed to send me boxes to send back the Dvr'S They sent them to my OLD ADDRESS. So I never got them and when I realized this I was going to call them and the same day found out they took out $500.00 of my checking account. ( I had forgotten I even gave them my Debit card for this) So THEN I call and they will send me new boxes and it took several months to get my money back. In the mean time, they wanted a little connection box that went to the dish. I obviously didn't have it and was never told about this before. They said they never got my dish either and wanted to charge me another $500.00 so they would have $1000.00 dollars of my money for NOTHING! I called my bank. I will not mention the name. They said there was nothing they could do and the person I talked to said no one in her "work area uses DISH because they do things like this to people all the time" according to her.
I will NEVER EVER EVER use them again I will use cable or direct tv or anything else available!
I always tell people this story because at the time I had just moved into the house and I am single and I didn't have an extra 1000 bucks laying around for them to hold for over a month!

I've had both & I like Direct Tv better.

Tammy ... are you saying DishNetwork did this to you?Unbelievable ... that's why I only use direct debit when I have to.I THINK their site said they charge you $14 a month for every month left in your contract when you cancel. Direct didn't say anything about it.I called DirectTv and their supervisor offered me all these deals but was pretty rude when I didn't snap up the deal. Well excuse me .. but I have $23 left to my name until payday.My main beef with Dish is after the trial period, their prices are about the same and the trial only lasts six months ... also you have to go to 200 channels to get close to what I have now with cable. Direct has a deal that lasts a year, at least. The deals after the one year are about what I'm paying for cable now.

We have been with Direct TV for years, probably close to 10, and love it. It's way better than Comcast, our old cable company, we get a bzillion channels and rarely loose our signal. Just my 2 cents.

Di_Can_Cook said:
Debating a Dish

The dish is why I quit debate and joined forensics. She beat me every time I had to debate against her. That made it even tougher to ask her for a date. I knew she'd have great citations to prove why she'd never go out with me.

Di - we've had Directv for over 13 years now, moved with it too, and still love it. Their prices are extremely good and the service provided has been fantastic....even when we lived waaaaaaay out in the boonies. I keep trying to get my folks to switch over because of the price they are paying for cable is ridiculous. Personally, I don't think I'd go with a "bundle" price from AT&T, I guess I would just think they would be taking a little something for themselves. I'd personally just go to Directv and sign up directly with them.

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
The dish is why I quit debate and joined forensics. She beat me every time I had to debate against her. That made it even tougher to ask her for a date. I knew she'd have great citations to prove why she'd never go out with me.
Oh my word!!! Thanks for the chuckle this am!!! :D

We have had DirecTV for 12 years now (I just discovered that the other day!).

We also have cable (Comcast). I am not happy with Comcast and only deal with it since we have so many tv's (and no other choice for cable).

Basically, DirecTV was DH's deal since he wanted it for the sports season passes. When I convinced him to move from his home state (too cold for me) - I promised him he could buy whatever he needed so he could watch his local football team. So, we got DirecTV for the NFL season pass. He also gets the hockey one (lucky guy).

Well, anyway, I am not saying DirecTV has always been a joy to deal with - there have been issues, but they have all been eventually resolved.

Just the other day I discovered that they had been overcharging me for somthing. I called to get 7 months of this charge credited back. The cust serv person explained that they are only allowed to go back 60 days - but she worked quite hard and somehow got the full 7 months credited back to me. Yes, it took time, but she did it. She explained I was apparently a loyal customer and if this is something she could do to keep someone who had been with them for 12 years happy, then she would try to get me the credit - and she did.

The only thing I don't like about the dish is that if the weather gets really bad (heavy rain or snow) it blocks the view to the satellite and you can't get any channels. At which point, we watch the cable.

I do not know of anyone who has Dish Network - we never considered them since they didn't have the sports season passes.

We have Dish Network and really like it. Any trouble we had was worked out promptly and professionally. I love the DVR functions much better than Comcast (which my parents have). We moved ours from the old house to the new and didn't have any trouble. We paid a minimal monthly payment to keep the contract on hold for 4 months, unhooked the DVR box (Dual DVR) and took it with us to the new house. They kept the actual dish at the old house and brought us a new one for the new house. I wish I could remember the price and all, but I just remember it being very reasonable and hassle-free.

Yes. I had Dish for 4 years and didn't even remember giving them my debit card when I got started that was what was so frustrating besides the fact that they sent the boxes to my old address and then questioned me about picking up the dish. I had paid off all my CC's at the time and didn't want to use one!

I was less than thrilled with the AT&T rep I talked to so I am going to try again.It seemed like her prices were higher than when I just called Dish Network.

What is the difference between cable and satellite providers?

Cable providers use physical cables to transmit television signals, while satellite providers use satellites to transmit signals to a receiver dish on your property.

Which provider offers more channels?

This can vary depending on the specific package you choose, but generally, satellite providers offer a larger variety of channels compared to cable providers.

Which provider has better picture quality?

Satellite providers typically offer better picture quality since the signal is transmitted directly from the satellite to your receiver, whereas cable signals can be affected by factors such as weather and distance.

What is the cost difference between cable and satellite?

The cost can vary depending on the specific package and provider, but in general, satellite providers tend to be slightly more expensive than cable providers.

Which provider offers better customer service?

This can also vary depending on the provider, but both cable and satellite companies have their own customer service departments. It's important to research reviews and ratings from other customers to determine which provider has better customer service.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• vanscootin
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
Sheila
Replies
Views
Kandio
  • esavvymom
  • General Chat
Replies