• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Death by Chocolate Trifle Question

In summary, for a lunch show today, the recipe for Death by Chocolate trifle calls for either one chocolate bar or three Heath bars, and the best way to crush the bars is to use the flat side of a meat tenderizer with plastic wrap to prevent sticking. The preferred topping method is to spoon or scoop it, and for demonstrations, using the Easy Accent Decorator is recommended. For the recipe itself, prepare the brownies and pudding separately and layer them with crumbled brownies, pudding, crushed toffee bars, and whipped topping in a glass punch bowl. Refrigerate overnight for best results.
ChefPaulaB
I know that I am making this easy trifle way too complicated, but I have never made it and am doing it for a lunch show today, so want to be sure I look like I know what I'm doing! I have seen 2 different versions of this recipe, one calls for one chocolate bar and the other calls for 3 heath bars. How do you crush it for the layers. Will the rotary grinder work on a heath bar or do I need to smash it with something? I should've just bought the ones that are already crushed, but was thinking that I could demo the rotary grinder for something other than cheese for a change. Will it work? And should I make the pudding up ahead of time (before I go to the show) since I will be doing this at a business with no fridge? And do you do the cool whip with the easy accent decorator or just scoop it in? So many questions! Sorry! and TIA!

A Heath bar is a hard toffee, so I don't think the rotary grater would make crushed pieces, more like shavings if it works at all. I would recommend using the flat side of the meat tenderizer to crush the candy. It should shatter easily with just a little pressure. Use a sheet of plastic wrap over the candy to keep it from sticking.

myinnerchef said:
A Heath bar is a hard toffee, so I don't think the rotary grater would make crushed pieces, more like shavings if it works at all. I would recommend using the flat side of the meat tenderizer to crush the candy. It should shatter easily with just a little pressure. Use a sheet of plastic wrap over the candy to keep it from sticking.

That's kind of what I was thinking too... I just read another recipe that called for crushed heath bars and it said to use the food chopper, but that doesn't sound like a good plan either because of the hardness of the toffee... I might try to crush some before I leave and see what works best and then just demo the one bar for the demo... They don't need to watch me smash 3 candy bars! Right?

ChefPaulaB said:
That's kind of what I was thinking too... I just read another recipe that called for crushed heath bars and it said to use the food chopper, but that doesn't sound like a good plan either because of the hardness of the toffee... I might try to crush some before I leave and see what works best and then just demo the one bar for the demo... They don't need to watch me smash 3 candy bars! Right?

Right. Bring the crushed ones in a prep bowl - shows another product. I've made the trifle with the dark chocolate and it was very good, very rich. I think I would prefer the toffee though.

Anyone have this recpie please?

Paula, sorry I didn't see this thread in time. I make the Death by Chocolate Trifle all the time and I use Skor bars (don't have Heath here) but they're thin, chocolate covered hard toffee bars. I use the crinkle cutter and it works WONDERFULLY!! I use it for all three bars and it only takes a minute (and shows another product).

As for the whipped topping, I spoon/scoop it for the first half and then if it's at home I do the same for the top layer/second half. If it's at a show I'll use the EAD - again just to show another product.

babyicebean said:
Anyone have this recpie please?

I would like this recipe too. It sounds wonderful!

Death by Chocolate
INGREDIENTS
1 (19.8 ounce) package brownie mix
2 (3.9 ounce) packages instant chocolate pudding mix
1 (16 ounce) package frozen whipped topping, thawed
3 (1.4 ounce) bars chocolate covered English toffee
DIRECTIONS
Prepare brownies according to package directions. Let cool.
Mix pudding according to package directions.
In a glass punch bowl, layer in the following order: 1/2 of the brownie, crumbled; 1/2 of the pudding; 1 toffee bar, crushed; 1/2 of the whipped topping.
Repeat layers in the same order. Save the last toffee bar to crumble and sprinkle on top before serving.
Refrigerate. Best if made the day before you serve it

1. What ingredients do I need to make a "Death by Chocolate Trifle"?

To make a "Death by Chocolate Trifle", you will need the following ingredients:

• 1 box of chocolate cake mix
  • 1 can of chocolate frosting
  • 1 package of instant chocolate pudding mix
  • 2 cups of cold milk
  • 1 container of whipped topping
  • Chocolate shavings or sprinkles for garnish (optional)

2. How do I assemble the trifle?

To assemble the trifle, follow these steps:

1. Bake the chocolate cake according to the instructions on the box and let it cool.
  2. Cut the cake into small cubes.
  3. In a separate bowl, mix together the chocolate pudding mix and cold milk until thickened.
  4. In a trifle dish or large glass bowl, layer the chocolate cake cubes, chocolate pudding, and whipped topping.
  5. Repeat the layers until all the ingredients are used, ending with a layer of whipped topping.
  6. Garnish with chocolate shavings or sprinkles, if desired.

3. Can I make this trifle ahead of time?

Yes, you can make the trifle ahead of time. It is best to assemble it the day before and store it in the refrigerator until ready to serve. This will allow the flavors to meld together and the cake to absorb the pudding and frosting.

4. Can I use a different type of cake mix?

Yes, you can use a different type of cake mix such as vanilla or red velvet. However, the overall flavor will not be a "Death by Chocolate" trifle.

5. How many servings does this trifle make?

This trifle can serve approximately 8-10 people, depending on the size of the servings. If you need to serve a larger crowd, you can double the recipe and use a larger trifle dish.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• cookn' katie
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
Luv 2 Cook
  • ChefPaulaB
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
chefann
  • janezapchef