• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Dealing with Show Cancellations - Tips for Biz Owners

In summary, cancellations can be frustrating, but there are some things you can do to prevent them. Make sure you have a backup plan in case something happens, and be positive and persistent in your conversations with your hosts.
pckrissy
I need to vent, I just had a third show cancel on me! It was scheduled for June so I know I still have time to replace it but I am just frustrated. I guess in my first year of biz I didn't have this problem very much but in the past 6 weeks its been happening alot. I lost my last 2 April shows and wasn't able to recoup them. How do you deal with cancellations and what do you do to prevent them? I know some circumstances are out of our control but...just looking for some tips.

I feel your pain! And what really is bad, is that we need these shows to get our calendars filled up for following months. I'm having a hard time getting things for June & July, and if my May gets any worse I don't know what to do. I'm trying to call, but not much luck there, I keep getting "I'll call you back later" Sorry I don't have any advice, but hang in there. It WILL get better!

My director spoke about this at our last team meeting. She said that she often asks if it is absolutely necessary for the person to cancel, since that makes her "unemployed" for that date. Sometimes life happens, but sometimes people just get a little flaky. Often they don't think about the fact that this is actually your JOB!

I guess that is my sticky area...my June host said that this month is crazy for her, she booked back in March...she wants to re-schedule for July...not so bad she doesn't want to cancel all together but I don't know how to approach her with is it absolutely necessary you re-schedule?? I don't want her to turn around and reschedule again in July...I don't know how to phrase that this is my job and don't want to be umemployed for the night....the woman who recruited me is a little blunt in that area and I don't want to turn of my customers...

Welcome to summer. The answer is to OVER BOOK. That's what I'm telling my team. Summer is hard and you have to be prepared.

I still let my hosts send invites but do you think sending the invites yourself prevents this - Fortunately most of my schedule changes are postponements not cancellations but it still affects your schedule

I don't know, Krissy. It's my director's suggestion, not my own, so I don't really have any answers for you.

Knock on wood, this isn't a problem I really have. Well, at least not right now.

Thanks, I am going to (stop whining) get on the phone and Over Book my summer!!! I just needed some "hang in there" support...all things I do tell myself and others all the time but have you ever had that voice saying "this is too much, this isn't going to work out..." I am trying my best to push that little voice far far away. I have always been very positive with this business...I guess when everything starts to happen all at once the overwhelming feeling kicks in...ONLY POSTIVE THOUGHTS FROM HERE OUT...
Thanks again :)

The good news is that this is a safe place to vent a bit. It's also a great place to get that kick in the keester you need.

One thing I learned from a training that is REALLY effective when I actually do it:

Don't treat a cancellation like a day off. Get out of your house, if possible, (away from the family and other distractions) if possible (with cell phone). Bring your call list, potentials, host coachings etc., go have a tax deductible cup of coffee at Starbucks or go to the park, and use your cancelled show time as business time. You could also try to make an "interview" or training session if you had enough notice.

You already had the time marked out for your business, so use it for your business. Even if you only used 1/2 of your allotted time, it would make a difference.

Me, I usually end up just goofing off...hmmmm, maybe I should listen to myself every once in awhile!

HTH!

Oooohhh, I'm only ten away from my first star!

pckrissy said:
I guess that is my sticky area...my June host said that this month is crazy for her, she booked back in March...she wants to re-schedule for July...not so bad she doesn't want to cancel all together but I don't know how to approach her with is it absolutely necessary you re-schedule?? I don't want her to turn around and reschedule again in July...I don't know how to phrase that this is my job and don't want to be umemployed for the night....the woman who recruited me is a little blunt in that area and I don't want to turn of my customers...

Since she has rebooked, what about calling her and explaining that you are in need of another June show to fill her spot, and offer her a small incentive to help you fill it with a friend of hers? That way you're not overly guilting her but at the same time hopefully she will feel some responsibility to help you out.

That's a great idea Kim. I will try that. I haven't spoken to her yet she cancelled through email....
I usually do what you suggested too Nicole, I am with you i should practice what i preach!!!!
Thanks again for ALL of your suggestions and support!

Also when they say they need to cancel ask if a catalog show would work better. Suggest that simply by taking a catalog to work and sharing with co-workers and emailing family/friends for the online show might be easier for someone that feels they are too busy for a cooking show.

1. How should I communicate a show cancellation to my hostess?

It's important to communicate a show cancellation as soon as possible to your hostess. The best method is to call or text them directly, followed by a confirmation email. Be honest and straightforward about the reason for the cancellation and apologize for any inconvenience.

2. What should I do if a hostess cancels their show last minute?

If a hostess cancels their show last minute, try to reschedule for a later date. If that's not possible, offer to do a virtual or catalog show instead. You can also offer to have a smaller gathering with just a few of their friends if they are still interested in hosting.

3. How can I make up for a cancelled show's lost sales?

One way to make up for lost sales is to offer a special promotion or discount to those who were planning to attend the cancelled show. This can encourage them to still make a purchase and help make up for the lost sales. You can also offer to extend the hostess benefits to the next show they book with you.

4. What should I do if I have to cancel a show due to an emergency or unforeseen circumstances?

If you have to cancel a show due to an emergency or unforeseen circumstances, communicate with your hostess as soon as possible and apologize for the inconvenience. Offer to reschedule the show or do a virtual/catalog show instead. If neither of those options work, you can offer to have a colleague or team member step in and run the show for you.

5. How can I prevent show cancellations in the future?

To prevent show cancellations, make sure to have open communication with your hostess leading up to the show. Confirm the date, time, and location multiple times and follow up with reminders. Also, offering incentives for guests who attend the show can help encourage them to show up. Lastly, make sure to have a backup plan in case of emergencies or unforeseen circumstances.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• ChefMommyof3Boys
  • Pampered Chef Shows
Replies
Views
chefa
  • TheFreddiesCook
  • Pampered Chef Shows
Replies
Views
ChefKelebel
  • TheFreddiesCook