• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Important Update: Changes to Deep Covered Baker Availability - The Pampered Chef

In summary, the White Deep Covered Baker is on stop sell, and orders for it must be submitted by midnight CT on June 15. Orders for the White Deep Covered Baker submitted after June 15 will have the product removed and the order adjusted. The Cranberry Deep Covered Baker will be a host-only item with a limit of one Baker per Show starting July 1.
dannyzmom said:
Wow - this is really shooting yourself in the foot.
Why cut your nose off to spite your face?
Hello?? Major booking tool you guys!!!

I don't see it that way. One of the things I've been proud of (for many years) as a P-Chef consultant is having all of my products available to all of my customers. I don't want to be one of THOSE direct sales companies.

chefjeanine said:
I don't see it that way. One of the things I've been proud of (for many years) as a P-Chef consultant is having all of my products available to all of my customers. I don't want to be one of THOSE direct sales companies.

What do you mean by "those" DS companies?
You mean one that has invented a product SO phenomenal and SO exciting that they're simply flying off the shelves? Personally THAT'S the kind of company I am PROUD to be.

From the e-mail it also looks like this won't be a permanent thing...just until the problems get figured out. I think it's wise of the HO to do this because otherwise we're going to have alot of upset customers with defective products...and not just a $4 mini-serving spatula! one thing I wonder tho is - if the manufacturer's having a hard time producing effective products, is it that they are slacking on the quality to meet the demand? Or is it just their process...because that means that the hosts will get potentially defective products as well.

Great, great booking tool... You are definitely right about that, Carolyn. :)

dannyzmom said:
What do you mean by "those" DS companies?
You mean one that has invented a product SO phenomenal and SO exciting that they're simply flying off the shelves? Personally THAT'S the kind of company I am PROUD to be.

Oh, come on Carolyn. You know what I mean.

I think the DCB is a great product. If there are QUALITY issues, then they should not make them available to our Hosts or the company will have to deal with resolving those problems. Do a stop sell, fix the product and then make it available to everyone.

It feels sneaky to me to offer a product "only" to hosts -- like we're trying to trick people. I have lots of customers. . .many more customers that past Hosts. My concern is keeping the majority happy.

chefjeanine said:
Oh, come on Carolyn. You know what I mean.

I think the DCB is a great product. If there are QUALITY issues, then they should not make them available to our Hosts or the company will have to deal with resolving those problems. Do a stop sell, fix the product and then make it available to everyone.

It feels sneaky to me to offer a product "only" to hosts -- like we're trying to trick people. I have lots of customers. . .many more customers that past Hosts. My concern is keeping the majority happy.

I think it's fair to assume that if the issue is "quality" then they are not selling less-that-up-to-standard DCBs to ANYONE and they have ones in stick that are up-to-standard that they can offer to hosts.

You don't honestly thing Pampered Chef would knowingly offer sub-standard bakers to their hosts, so you??

If you re-read the email from HO you'll see it's not a QUALITY issue but it is a QUANTITY issue - - the manufacturer is unable to keep up the supply to meet our demand. I don't know about you guys - but I know that I personally sell DCBs hand over fist. It's no surprise they can't keep them in stock.

That is something that irritates me about other companies, the 'host only' items. I understand it is a booking tool... that is why we offer a $69 stone or $60 carafe.. so people can get them at half off with a show. BUT if someone wants to spend their money with me at full price, who am I to say no? I am sure PC has a valid reason.. they do not wake up in the morning wondering how to make our lives/jobs more difficult. Let's just hope they get this resolved soon.

In the mean time, I'm offering a special of free shipping to my local customers on all DCB... might hit a $6000 month after all :)

After reading the email again and thinking about it, I am going to start using the DCB at all my shows now. I'll probably still do the Garlic Bites as an appetizer to showcase the cookware, then a meal in the DCB. I'll use wording like..."The DCB has been so popular, that TPC is currently only offering it to hosts at this time. I'm happy to set you up with a cooking or catalog show, so you can earn the DCB for free or at a discount."

I agree this totally sucks but it is going to be an awesome booking tool until they get the issue resolved. Just because someone doesn't want to have a cooking show doesn't mean they won't have a catalog show. If they want the baker bad enough a catalog show won't kill them.

chefcharity said:
In the mean time, I'm offering a special of free shipping to my local customers on all DCB... might hit a $6000 month after all :)

It might make more sense to offer a free rub with the purchase of DCB (more commissionable sales that way!) But that's a great idea to offer a quick special to make use of this opportunity!

nene960 said:
I agree this totally sucks but it is going to be an awesome booking tool until they get the issue resolved. Just because someone doesn't want to have a cooking show doesn't mean they won't have a catalog show. If they want the baker bad enough a catalog show won't kill them.

And when you tell them they only need to collect $150 in orders to get it. Yup that might do it!

and as for the white one being on immediate stop sell, I will just add them to an order I have going now and submit it by the 15th and they may go on backorder but at least they will get the white if that is what they want...Let's turn this into something positive and increase our sales instead of fussing about it. It will only hurt your business if you let it hurt your business

JMHO, but here are my thoughts on all of the points being made:

1. Does anyone remember when the Chillzanne Rectangle Server suddenly disappeared because of sky rocketing oil prices? It's back better than ever! I have a feeling the DCB will be as well!

2. I will let my customers know about this not being available, but please let them know that there will be a back order issue and they may not get them right away or for months.

3. The DCB is a fantastic demo, but at the rate we are selling them, there will come a day when many people already have them. There should always be a "plan B" so customers want all of our products!

4. There are many talented people on here...let's start using our creative juices and come up with a "Plan B".

5. I stopped doing 2 recipes a LONG time before the DCB arrived on the scene and I have a very thriving business. People will get used to it. Some will mumble but I offer to give them a recipe that they want for a second recipe and they are fine with it. Or some will offer if 25 people show up, they will do a second recipe, but it usually is a recipe that can easily be finished off.

6. The Pampered Chef does not make these decisions lightly. They state right in their e-mail that they realize how devesated we will all be. I would rather they pull a product than deal with product return issues. It makes for unhappy customers and more work for everyone else.

7. Obviously PC does not care for "host only" products but if it is offered as a "host only" or nothing...I will take a host only any day.

This so reminds me of "Who Moved My Cheese"...let's find it!!

Thank you, Ann!

I was just brain storming with a fellow consultant about the square baker... does anyone have any micro recipes for this? Besides the brownies that were in the SB?

It is not defectiveI just talked to my Director who is a NATIONAL EXECUTIVE. I want to make this perfectly clear... The DCB is not defective. The problem is we are selling too many of them and the manufacturer cannot keep up. Again, it is not defective, it is too great of a product and everyone wants one. Keep it positive. Get them to host shows for it, or pass the catalog. Only $150 and they get one at 15% off!! How great is that?!!

I'm in the S's and still no e-mail ... stupid Yahoo. Tomorrow it will be there, way down in the list, like it was there all along ...I have a huge show to turn in and I'm CERTAIN the DCB wasn't on it. That's because most of the orders were for around $60 or $75 and had multiple items on them .... and the highest price item I sold was the Mandoline, I think. In fact, I don't think I've sold it to anybody who wasn't a host, and usually when it's a 60 percent off item.I sure hope nobody orders one between now and Friday, when the show closes. Or maybe I do, I don't know. I do know my host HATES stoneware.I'm pretty sure I got one for my sister last Christmas ... wait, no, it was the rectangle stone in cranberry. Personally, I'm not a fan of the white stoneware, the cranberry looks so much nicer.Got to think of some good wording for an email. Drat! Just sent out my newsletter!

Charity, I use my square one all the time, to bake chicken, to make brownies, you name it. I even used it for lasagna!

I got one from my ED, but not this one from HO.
I am bummed, but am going to continue to use it as a booking tool.

I haven't gotten one yet and I'm D.....

I know Joy will come up with a great "positive twist" on this! In the meantime, let's get on the phone and tell our customers that the Deep Covered Baker will be HOST ONLY after July 1st (read the email) so if they want one now, offer them 10% off to get it if you can't talk them into a Catalog or Cooking Show! I agree with the "positive ladies"! Look at this as an opportunity and not a bad thing!

chefcharity said:
... might hit a $6000 month after all :)

This is the attitude I need to adopt for myself. I got myself some cookies and a Mtn Dew, and I'm starting to feel a bit more positive, now that the shock is wearing off.

I am planning to do a show in my home on June 24th, and this will be the perfect reason to call everyone about it.

I am soooo glad that I've been dragging my feet, and hadn't sent out June's Newsletter yet!

OHHH!! A Deep Covered Baker plus party!!! Awesome idea! I think I just filled my last June date :) Thanks for the idea that was right in front of my face, Noora!

ChefBeckyD said:
I am soooo glad that I've been dragging my feet, and hadn't sent out June's Newsletter yet!

I finally sent mine last night :grumpy: oh well!

Re: It is not defective
cookingwithlove said:
I just talked to my Director who is a NATIONAL EXECUTIVE. I want to make this perfectly clear... The DCB is not defective. The problem is we are selling too many of them and the manufacturer cannot keep up. Again, it is not defective, it is too great of a product and everyone wants one. Keep it positive. Get them to host shows for it, or pass the catalog. Only $150 and they get one at 15% off!! How great is that?!!

15.00 AND 15% off! ;)

OK ... how's this:Friends,I know I just sent you my newsletter, however, I have some urgent news about our most popular summer cooking tool.The Deep Covered Baker is by far the most commonly used piece of stoneware in my kitchen. It can bake a chicken in 30 minutes flat, a Mexican "lasagna" recipe that is to die for, a delicious chocolate cake and a one pot pasta, just to name a few, all in your microwave! So it doesn't heat up your kitchen!Starting in July, this item will become a host-only item due to its overwhelming popularity. Of course, hosts have always been able to get this item at a discount. But because this may be the last opportunity to get this item during the summer cooking season without hosting a party, I am offering a special.Place an order with me for the Deep Covered Baker no later than Monday, June 14 and you'll get 10 percent off. Place an order for the baker ANY TIME in the month of June and get $4.25 off your shipping (that's free shipping if it's being sent to my house and included with a show.)Call me or email so I can give you the best discount!

Here's what I got from my Director:

By now, you have seen the email announcement from Home Office about the Magic Pot (Deep Covered Baker). When I heard the news, AT FIRST, my heart sank because you guys know that the Magic Pot is my true love and key product at shows. I started thinking, what recipe am I going to do now?

But then, when my heart settled down and my nerves calmed, I realized that I AM NOT GOING TO CHANGE MY DEMO AND I’M NOT GOING TO CHANGE MY SHOW! I truly believe, in my heart of hearts, that the Magic Pot is the thing that CAN make a difference for so many families. So why would I change that message???? Why would I stop telling them about how awesome this is and how it can make cooking easier than ever before. I will never change that message!

So, my strategy is this: I am going to continue with my favorite Magic Pot recipes as usual. I am going to center my shows around the wonders and joys of the Deep Covered Baker And I AM NOT going to say, “This is not available unless you host a show.” That is negative and puts a “demanding” spin on bookings. I want people to want to book, because they want to, not because they have to. Instead, here are the words at the show I’m going to say:

“I guess by now you guys can tell that this Pot has literally changed the way I cook in my kitchen. It has truly been one of the key reasons so many people love Pampered Chef shows right now…so they can learn about how to use it and make a difference in their own kitchen. Because it has become so popular, we have made it a host-only exclusive item. So let me now share with you how you can get your very own Cranberry Magic Pot. Now I would be a terribly naughty consultant to make you pay full price. So to get the Baker, you’ll just host a cooking show or catalog show and then you’ll not only get your Magic Pot, you’ll also get it for free or half price! It’s that simple and you’ll be sooo excited to have it exclusively in your kitchen! The dates I have available for getting your pot and everything else you want in your kitchen are over here. Or if you want to collect orders on your own and do a catalog show you can get your pot that way.”

It then becomes THEIR choice HOW they want to get it….either by booking a show or passing the books with a catalog show. Either way, it’s a win-win….you have happy hosts who get their items at reduced amounts or free AND you’ll have increased bookings!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I encourage you to really resist the temptation to say things like it’s not available to buy or you can’t get it unless you host. That is so negative and it’s going to create ill-will. Just focus on the positives of getting it for free or discount.

IF someone says, “Why can’t I purchase it today?”….here’s what I would say: “Because the Magic Pot has just flown off the shelves, the manufacturers are working doubly hard to make sure there are enough Deep Covered Bakers for everyone who wants one. Until supply catches up with demand, the company still wants people to have one and so we have made it an exclusive gift for hosts.”

That’s it…no commentary or thoughts….just the facts. If we get negative, you know our customers will get negative, and trust me, that’s a downward spiral that none of us want to get in. Your guests and host watch you and listen so keep the tone positive and like this is the best thing since sliced bread….many won’t even realize that there is a change. After all, you REALLY sell 100% of your pots full price? NO WAY! – most are gotten through bookings, so it is REALLY that much of a change?

So, just remember, it’s an incredible product (obviously or else there would not be any supply issues)….and we must continue to move forward and share the amazement and love of the Deep Covered Baker. If we stopped now, that just would be unfair to all those folks out there who don’t know about it!

Last edited:
Di_Can_Cook said:
OK ... how's this:

Friends,

I know I just sent you my newsletter, however, I have some urgent news about our most popular summer cooking tool.

The Deep Covered Baker is by far the most commonly used piece of stoneware in my kitchen. It can bake a chicken in 30 minutes flat, a Mexican "lasagna" recipe that is to die for, a delicious chocolate cake and a one pot pasta, just to name a few, all in your microwave! So it doesn't heat up your kitchen!

Starting in July, this item will become a host-only item due to its overwhelming popularity. Of course, hosts have always been able to get this item at a discount. But because this may be the last opportunity to get this item during the summer cooking season without hosting a party, I am offering a special.

Place an order with me for the Deep Covered Baker no later than Monday, June 14 and you'll get 10 percent off. Place an order for the baker ANY TIME in the month of June and get $4.25 off your shipping (that's free shipping if it's being sent to my house and included with a show.)

Call me or email so I can give you the best discount!

One thing that I might suggest adding is more info about it becoming a host only item. By saying that it's just due to it being so popular, it makes it sound like HO is being sneaky and greedy and holding bakers for ransom. :D Or just being manipulative. But that's not the case. By saying that they are so popular that the manufacturer can't keep up with the sales, or something like that, might sound a little better.

Thank you for sharing that Harriet.

pamperedharriet said:
Here's what I got my Director:

By now, you have seen the email announcement from Home Office about the Magic Pot (Deep Covered Baker). When I heard the news, AT FIRST, my heart sank because you guys know that the Magic Pot is my true love and key product at shows. I started thinking, what recipe am I going to do now?

But then, when my heart settled down and my nerves calmed, I realized that I AM NOT GOING TO CHANGE MY DEMO AND I’M NOT GOING TO CHANGE MY SHOW! I truly believe, in my heart of hearts, that the Magic Pot is the thing that CAN make a difference for so many families. So why would I change that message???? Why would I stop telling them about how awesome this is and how it can make cooking easier than ever before. I will never change that message!

So, my strategy is this: I am going to continue with my favorite Magic Pot recipes as usual. I am going to center my shows around the wonders and joys of the Deep Covered Baker And I AM NOT going to say, “This is not available unless you host a show.” That is negative and puts a “demanding” spin on bookings. I want people to want to book, because they want to, not because they have to. Instead, here are the words at the show I’m going to say:

“I guess by now you guys can tell that this Pot has literally changed the way I cook in my kitchen. It has truly been one of the key reasons so many people love Pampered Chef shows right now…so they can learn about how to use it and make a difference in their own kitchen. Because it has become so popular, we have made it a host-only exclusive item. So let me now share with you how you can get your very own Cranberry Magic Pot. Now I would be a terribly naughty consultant to make you pay full price. So to get the Baker, you’ll just host a cooking show or catalog show and then you’ll not only get your Magic Pot, you’ll also get it for free or half price! It’s that simple and you’ll be sooo excited to have it exclusively in your kitchen! The dates I have available for getting your pot and everything else you want in your kitchen are over here. Or if you want to collect orders on your own and do a catalog show you can get your pot that way.”

It then becomes THEIR choice HOW they want to get it….either by booking a show or passing the books with a catalog show. Either way, it’s a win-win….you have happy hosts who get their items at reduced amounts or free AND you’ll have increased bookings!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I encourage you to really resist the temptation to say things like it’s not available to buy or you can’t get it unless you host. That is so negative and it’s going to create ill-will. Just focus on the positives of getting it for free or discount.

IF someone says, “Why can’t I purchase it today?”….here’s what I would say: “Because the Magic Pot has just flown off the shelves, the manufacturers are working doubly hard to make sure there are enough Deep Covered Bakers for everyone who wants one. Until supply catches up with demand, the company still wants people to have one and so we have made it an exclusive gift for hosts.”

That’s it…no commentary or thoughts….just the facts. If we get negative, you know our customers will get negative, and trust me, that’s a downward spiral that none of us want to get in. Your guests and host watch you and listen so keep the tone positive and like this is the best thing since sliced bread….many won’t even realize that there is a change. After all, you REALLY sell 100% of your pots full price? NO WAY! – most are gotten through bookings, so it is REALLY that much of a change?

So, just remember, it’s an incredible product (obviously or else there would not be any supply issues)….and we must continue to move forward and share the amazement and love of the Deep Covered Baker. If we stopped now, that just would be unfair to all those folks out there who don’t know about it!

Wow! That's a great take on this. Great attitude and advice. I'm going to share that with my cluster. Thanks!

I am VERY sad about this! The DCB had a huge part in selling me on becoming a consultant. I'm not sure how much to demo it now that it is a host only item. I want to demo things that customers can buy! I know a lot of other products can be demoed with it, but still.

Anyway, as upset as I am about this news I'm going to try to take full advantage of it for June. I have a very busy month (as a MBA student, mother of a 5 month old, and full-time employee). So I won't be doing many shows this month. I just sent an email to my entire contact list urging them to buy one while they can. Especially if they want to buy them as gifts since this is their LAST chance to ever buy more than one at a time. I hope I can sell a bunch to make up for my lack of shows this month!

Thank you for these words Harriett! LOVE it!

Erica, I hear ya but honestly, I don't use the DCB at every show because not everybody has a microwave that it will fit in! I do, however, want to get on the phone and send out an e-mail about it. And then follow Harriet's director's philosophy!

If it doesn't fit their microwave, I always tell them to use it in the oven and cut down on cooking time. I don't think that should stop anyone from having one, I think every kitchen should own one!

Di_Can_Cook said:
Erica, I hear ya but honestly, I don't use the DCB at every show because not everybody has a microwave that it will fit in! I do, however, want to get on the phone and send out an e-mail about it. And then follow Harriet's director's philosophy!

It is not just for the microwave. It makes incredible roasts right in the oven. Since it has a lid, it is a great dutch oven, perfect for pot roast!

Harriet, fabulous words and I plan to steal them!!

Harriet - you put my thoughts into words and you win my daily hero award!

pamperedharriet said:

Although this was not mentioned in Marla's e-mail, so it's not official, it could also be suggested that the alternative was to raise the price (which usually happens when demand is greater than supply). Instead of raising the price, PC is ONLY offering it to those who can get FREE or 1/2 price. How many companies would even consider that business decision?!

ericadboone said:
I I want to demo things that customers can buy!
Erica, customers can buy everything else, and they will buy things which aren't demo'd as well as products which are. In fact, at most of my shows, very little of the products which are demo'd are ordered - guests seem to enjoy going through the catalog and talking to each other about what to buy.

babywings76 said:
Wow! That's a great take on this. Great attitude and advice. I'm going to share that with my cluster. Thanks!

Love it!! I'm sharing this too!!!

pampchefsarah said:
Although this was not mentioned in Marla's e-mail, so it's not official, it could also be suggested that the alternative was to raise the price (which usually happens when demand is greater than supply). Instead of raising the price, PC is ONLY offering it to those who can get FREE or 1/2 price. How many companies would even consider that business decision?!

I would be VERY surprised if the price doesn't increase when it is again released for the general public to buy.

I just read this and WOW!! I am definately disappointed, but will be pushing it hard during my June shows though.

um, my last name starts with "b" and i STILL haven't gotten my email yet....

Harriet!! Thank you SO much for sharing..... :D

I just sent an email to all of my contacts offering Free Shipping with the purchase of the cranberry DCB. Hopefully, I'll get some takers.

Duh --- Can someone explain what the "C&S intro" is? I'm assuming it's not cream & sugar .. or Cher & Sonny ... or --!!??

I still haven't gotten my email either. I think this is a great incentive to help get shows booked. I have only sold a couple of them outright anyways, most have been to hostesses. I hosted a show a year ago b/c I wanted one and couldn't afford to get it without hosting.

ChefetteDuJour said:
Duh --- Can someone explain what the "C&S intro" is? I'm assuming it's not cream & sugar .. or Cher & Sonny ... or --!!??

cool and serve

My initial reaction was OMG, too. But, this company is awesome for taking it off the market before backorders and returns become a major problem. Years ago we had issues with the Chillzane server...it took 5 or 6 months for my guests to get their products. The company gave soup ladles and recipes cards as apologies. I was begging my guests to let PC reimburse them so I could put an email out (about anything) with out them immediately calling me and harrassing me- wondering where there server was...and why can't I get it.

I sent an email out to my guests about the DCB...now I'm horrified by my actions. I do not want that stress again!

I thought that the e-mail my director sent out was worth sharing and that is why I posted it here. So you are welcome, but they weren't my words. She worded it in a way that made it seem better to me.

ChefCKHall said:
Harriet - you put my thoughts into words and you win my daily hero award!

I shared what my director sent us==can't take the credit.

Thanks for the daily hero award though! I needed something!!!

<H2>1. What is the reason for the changes to the availability of the Deep Covered Baker?</H2><p>The reason for the changes is due to manufacturing issues and a decrease in product quantities from suppliers.</p><H2>2. What does it mean when a product is on "Stop Sell" status?</H2><p>When a product is on "Stop Sell" status, it means that consultants are not allowed to sell that product until further notice.</p><H2>3. Can we still backorder the White Deep Covered Baker?</H2><p>Yes, backorders for the White Deep Covered Baker will still be fulfilled once the product is back in stock.</p><H2>4. How will the changes affect commissions and host rewards?</H2><p>The changes may affect commissions and host rewards for orders that include the White Deep Covered Baker or the Cranberry Deep Covered Baker after the designated cut-off dates. Orders will be adjusted accordingly.</p><H2>5. Will the Cranberry Deep Covered Baker still be available for purchase?</H2><p>Yes, the Cranberry Deep Covered Baker will still be available for purchase, but as a host-only item with a limit of one Baker per Show. Hosts may purchase it with Free Product Value, as a Host Half-Price item, or with their Host Discount using a new host-only item number.</p>

1. What is the reason for the changes to the availability of the Deep Covered Baker?

The reason for the changes is due to manufacturing issues and a decrease in product quantities from suppliers.

2. What does it mean when a product is on "Stop Sell" status?

When a product is on "Stop Sell" status, it means that consultants are not allowed to sell that product until further notice.

3. Can we still backorder the White Deep Covered Baker?

Yes, backorders for the White Deep Covered Baker will still be fulfilled once the product is back in stock.

4. How will the changes affect commissions and host rewards?

The changes may affect commissions and host rewards for orders that include the White Deep Covered Baker or the Cranberry Deep Covered Baker after the designated cut-off dates. Orders will be adjusted accordingly.

5. Will the Cranberry Deep Covered Baker still be available for purchase?

Yes, the Cranberry Deep Covered Baker will still be available for purchase, but as a host-only item with a limit of one Baker per Show. Hosts may purchase it with Free Product Value, as a Host Half-Price item, or with their Host Discount using a new host-only item number.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• dannyzmom
  • Recruiting and Team Leaders
Replies
Views
baychef
  • vgibsonrn
  • Pampered Chef Shows
Replies
Views
leftymac
Replies