• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

DCB 30 min. chicken?

PamperedchefDaly

Gold Member
Jul 22, 2008
Has anybody tried the 30 minute chicken in the DCB with the cover on? Does it take longer? I know the recipe says to cook it with the cover off, then cover it after you take it out of the oven. However, at my last party, I cooked the chicken with the cover off, and it made a real mess of the microwave! Grease (and seasoning) was splattered everywhere. :eek: I was embarassed, and the hostess looked annoyed. I'm doing a show Tuesday night and I'm not sure whether to cover or uncover.

ChefBeckyD

Legend Member
Gold Member
Sep 20, 2005
That's strange...I do mine with the lid off all the time, at home and for shows, and I've never had it splatter. I wonder why it did for you?

Weird, huh?

teresah551393

Jan 11, 2009
I do mine with the lid on, always. It comes out great and only takes about 22-25 minutes!

DessertDivaFL

Veteran Member
Gold Member
Jun 2, 2008
Has anyone tried taking the skin off the breast portion, sprinkling one of our rubs and microwave with lid on? That is so amazing! Seriously, try it sometime.

ChefBeckyD

Legend Member
Gold Member
Sep 20, 2005
Has anyone tried taking the skin off the breast portion, sprinkling one of our rubs and microwave with lid on? That is so amazing! Seriously, try it sometime.

I do this too. For shows, I leave the skin on, and do it uncovered. It's the fact that it gets a nice crispish (I may have just made up that word!) crust that gets so many oohhhs and aaahhhs. We don't eat the skin at our house, so I usually just take it off. I do the seasoning just the same though. I oil the chicken, use the basic PC rub recipe, and then just add to it.

gailz2

Gold Member
Jun 1, 2007
Becky, I didn't know it would get "crispish" with the lid off -- I had no idea microwaves would crisp anything (except the chocolate I burned in it at a show).

ChefBeckyD

Legend Member
Gold Member
Sep 20, 2005
Becky, I didn't know it would get "crispish" with the lid off -- I had no idea microwaves would crisp anything (except the chocolate I burned in it at a show).

When you do it like the official PC instructions say to, oiling the chicken, and then using the flour/paprika/herb mixture - it gets a nice crust on it. That is why I do it with the lid off...it's more "roasted chicken" looking that way.

shelly.nurse

May 28, 2009
I did two at work today for lunch exactly the way the show tips for the 30 minute chicken says, and we all were amazed. I have one person planning to buy the kitchen spritzer and DCB and another one thinking about it!! Pretty good out of the 3 people that can really afford to buy stuff like that!! And my hostess for this saturday's show is seriously thinking of getting a new microwave (her's is too small) so she can get the DCB to cook a chicken (this girl does NOT cook anything except hamburger helper, chicken helper, tuna helper, you get the point!!)

mrshamel3808

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2009
My mom always kept the bags from cereal boxes and would cut those into flat sheets and used them for covers in the microwave. If you want to do it with the lid off but want to make sure you're not making a host's microwave a disaster you could bring that. It works better than a paper towel because the paper towel will stick to the wetness and that's nasty. The plastic sheet doesn't melt, but also allows it to get crisp (I would assume, I've never tried it) since it's not completely covering it; it's just resting on top like an umbrella.

pampchefsarah

Gold Member
Mar 24, 2008
My mom always kept the bags from cereal boxes and would cut those into flat sheets and used them for covers in the microwave. If you want to do it with the lid off but want to make sure you're not making a host's microwave a disaster you could bring that. It works better than a paper towel because the paper towel will stick to the wetness and that's nasty. The plastic sheet doesn't melt, but also allows it to get crisp (I would assume, I've never tried it) since it's not completely covering it; it's just resting on top like an umbrella.

OR, you could use PC Parchment Paper, which would a) showcase another PC item, and b) probably help crisp the skin.

Our AD did the 30 minute chicken for our last Cluster Meeting (the chicken was then cut up and used in Ceasar Salad), and the skin was really crispy. I believe she said she made it with the lid on, because I remember being surprised how beautiful and brown it was, like it had just come out of the oven. I've only made this once, but am doing it at a show on 7/3, so I guess I better get practicing!

mrshamel3808

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2009
OR, you could use PC Parchment Paper, which would a) showcase another PC item, and b) probably help crisp the skin.

Our AD did the 30 minute chicken for our last Cluster Meeting (the chicken was then cut up and used in Ceasar Salad), and the skin was really crispy. I believe she said she made it with the lid on, because I remember being surprised how beautiful and brown it was, like it had just come out of the oven. I've only made this once, but am doing it at a show on 7/3, so I guess I better get practicing!

Haha, good point! I've never used the parchment paper so I didn't even think of it!