• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Dave Ramsey Check-In: Share Your Progress on His Financial Plan!

you just pull the money out of the savings and it doesn't affect your checking account. You are correct, Dave's stuff is biblically based and I think it would fall right into line with what you believe.
ok, it is late and my mind is overloaded...what is the best way to start this program? online? read the book? are the TMMO hard cover and workbook seperate? sorry to sound so "stupid"....i have wanted to start this for MONTHS and after reading all your posts I don't want to procrastinate another second but don't know where to start...I usually wind up spending $ on stuff I don't REALLY need but i THINK I do...sorry if this is rambling...

I have read financial peace and Total money makeover before. Tonight I went to www.mytotalmoneymakeover.com to get started. For $70 or 80 you can get TMMO book, 1 year subscription to the site, and a couple extra bonuses. You can do a 7 day trail on the site, but I signed up for the year, it will hold me more accountable. I am so excited to get out from under the college living debt!!

Awesome! You can find me on the TMMO forums as mommachef. Janet is there too with her same screen name.

wow I just sat and read this whole thread. Me and hubby talking while reading it we might take a look into this we don't have much debt except the van payment and house cause when we sold our business a yr ago we paid off everything but the house and van.

I am very excited about DR! We are seriously working the envelopes (though I was not so good when my mom visited and over Christmas-though we didn't incur more debt!). I thought from the beginning that budgeting would bite but it really is a freeing way to live. Knowing that I have my allowance, DH has his, some for the kids, groceries and some for the entertainment pot makes life SO much easier! On the road we are on we will be out of cc debt by April of 2010. We will still have both truck payments but since we bought them new in 2005 and 2007, we just have to really pay them off.

I am so thankful for being introduced to DR..and I love my envelopes!!

What is nice about this program is that it's not all about starting it because you are deep in cc debt. I bought the book for each of my adult children for Christmas. One is in no debt and one has only one cc to pay off....what I loved was that he shows you what to do with the money AFTER you pay off the debt.

I personally can't wait to get my money working for me! I am taking my daughter with me to classes. Hubby works crazy hours and he is like "go for it". We talk about large purchases and it is a joint decision if done, we are working on budgeting (which I think I do well for never really doing it) and discussing our investment options together instead of just me doing it alone.

I would use it for the opportunity to have more $$ to invest each month!

I started reading the book a week ago. I can't wait to start this full force. My thinking has already changed and I am only a few chapters into the book. Once I am done reading it, I am going to make my hubby read it just becuase even with me telling him, he still just doesn't get it.

Debbie you really helped me make my mind up about doing TMMO. I have had the book for months after hearing about it on here and never opened it. I sent her a PM after reading one of her posts and she helped answer some questions... it was then I decided to go ahead.

Here is one question I have for those who have completely done TMMO- Is just the book enough or do you need the website too?

You'll see earlier that I questioned Deb about the website. I wasn't going to "spend money" on a website. However, I've gotten some wonderful recipe ideas, money saving tips, can bounce a quick question off someone, etc.I love the Gazelle budgeting system online, keeps me accountable to what I'm doing, easy/quick entry and I can watch my debt numbers decrease. You can also download the .mp3 files of Dave's show. If you are uncertain, sign up for the 1 week free trial and check it out.There are a lot of new people on the forum since January 1st.Many post their budgets and have people help them figure out what to cut. It takes some humbleness and some work but it is all for a GREAT result!

christinaspc said:
wow I just sat and read this whole thread. Me and hubby talking while reading it we might take a look into this we don't have much debt except the van payment and house cause when we sold our business a yr ago we paid off everything but the house and van.

That's EXCELLENT, you have an advantage, but do you have an emergency fund saved so you don't use CC if an emergency comes up? With where you are, I think you'd embrace the concepts and it will help protect you as things get more expensive and jobs get less.

Well, I went to a "preview" for the class last night at a local church and it was good. I had seen the dvd explaining the program before, but it was exciting to see the faces of others seeing how paying off your debt will impact your life explained for the first time.The class leaders are still working on their plan (they sounded as if they hadn't been in the program for long) and I was able to share that we had paid off $5000 in debt in the last 2 months....the speaker came up afterward and said that she was impressed, wanted to know how we did it -- I told her that it wasn't anything to be impressed by. I don't see how everyone couldn't have results if they followed the plan. We made dramatic changes in our spending. We are on a "beans and rice and rice and beans" diet. Only for now, though. It will all change when we are screaming "we're DEBT FREE!!!!".My husband didn't go (he's leaving it up to me), but he is WAY on board. He just said "tell me what I have to do and you take care of the rest". And I am. We will be debt free including the house in only a few years. I can't wait to retire in 20 years with 20 years of savings and no debt!Thanks to you all for introducing me to Dave's program. I hope to help others find it and realize that they too can do it!

Oh, and we have one of our 5 cars (there are only 3 of us in the house....) up for sale. Hubby bought it for a few hundred dollars and spent a few weeks and a lot of muscle fixing it. It is paid for, worth 10 times what we paid for it, and when sold, DH said the money has to go to the debt snowball. He's so cool!

woohooo Janice!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wow, that's awesome Janice!

jwpamp said:
Well, I went to a "preview" for the class last night at a local church and it was good. I had seen the dvd explaining the program before, but it was exciting to see the faces of others seeing how paying off your debt will impact your life explained for the first time.

The class leaders are still working on their plan (they sounded as if they hadn't been in the program for long) and I was able to share that we had paid off $5000 in debt in the last 2 months....the speaker came up afterward and said that she was impressed, wanted to know how we did it -- I told her that it wasn't anything to be impressed by. I don't see how everyone couldn't have results if they followed the plan.

We made dramatic changes in our spending. We are on a "beans and rice and rice and beans" diet. Only for now, though. It will all change when we are screaming "we're DEBT FREE!!!!".

My husband didn't go (he's leaving it up to me), but he is WAY on board. He just said "tell me what I have to do and you take care of the rest". And I am. We will be debt free including the house in only a few years. I can't wait to retire in 20 years with 20 years of savings and no debt!

Thanks to you all for introducing me to Dave's program. I hope to help others find it and realize that they too can do it!

That is the big key to it all I believe. You'll find you were spending money on things you "thought" you needed but didn't. You'll be just as happy without and discover other things to enjoy.

Great news....we don't get the "Fox Business Netowrk" because I refuse to pay extra for high end cable--so I found his TV show on Hulu.com!

jwpamp said:
Great news....we don't get the "Fox Business Netowrk" because I refuse to pay extra for high end cable--so I found his TV show on Hulu.com!

I just heard that last week from someone...

Awesome!

I just happened to catch this thread on here and was kind of excited. I am a huge Dave Ramsey fan and was on one of the forums and saw janetupnorth on there and recognized you from here. We are on BS2 and since hubby has been deployed we have gotten Gazelle intense. I started working another part-time job and that helps too along with the "beans and rice".

chefliz said:
I just happened to catch this thread on here and was kind of excited. I am a huge Dave Ramsey fan and was on one of the forums and saw janetupnorth on there and recognized you from here. We are on BS2 and since hubby has been deployed we have gotten Gazelle intense. I started working another part-time job and that helps too along with the "beans and rice".

Well, did you send me a note on there? :)

We are starting FPU on the 8th ... and I am so excited about it! :)
I just finished reading Financial Peace Revisited, and am going to start on TMMO once I can borrow it from my friend!

Awesome Cori!If you have questions during FPU, ask Debbie, she coordinates one!

Let me tell you this works, and my husand and I both love Dave Ramsey. DH's squadron offered the class to us free of charge, at 1st I wasn't very sure of it. I wanted more to save money then put all of it on the credit cards since we are about to move back to the States.

We live on a very strict budget now, and somehow I seem to have more money all the time. I love using cash and having the envelope system.

We started the class the 1st week of June, when I was 30 weeks pregnant. We just paid off our last credit card right before Christmas. We somehow managed to have a baby, pay off $10,000 in credit card debt, and save almost $10,000 for our move, all in just a matter of months.

All we have now is the car payment which we pay an extra $200 a month on. We did start the class w/ the emergency fund already, and I was so lucky to get a $2,000 show and several $1,000 shows this past summer, plus we found some money in a savings account we never use. My husband also had gone on a lot of TDYs since Jan 2008 and we had saved that money.

Keep on doing it, it will work for you. Having no credit card debt is such an AWESOME feeling!

chefliz said:

Are you on the TMMO forums? I'm on there too!

My DH and I have been doing this since last March and are still amazed by it! All CC debt is gone - we only have one car, the house and a 401k loan (don't ask!) left. The amazing part is how we seem to just find/have more money each month...We haven't been doing the "beans and rice". We just eat out a lot less (once a month for sushi since neither of us know how to make that well! Hah!) I am interested in doing the beans and rice but am unsure just exactly what that is? I rarely buy any prepared or processed foods and make as much as I can from scratch, which has helped a lot, but what recipes are you guys using?

"beans and rice" just means really cutting down your grocery spending. it doesn't mean you have to eat beans and rice all the time! I've been doing this plan for 1.5 years and have made beans and rice just once!

That is what we have been doing - I was just hoping someone had some great recipes that were really yummy and super cheap :)

We use a lot of the PC recipes lately. Course since it is a "trial demo", it is tax deductible for me! We are on Week 2 of FPU and love it! Ali, my DD, scans the grocery ads online then goes to the best place. This week Publix had a bunch of stuff on sale. We had coupons as well. It cut down quite a bit... I started the Conference Club (with only 3 months to save) last week so I plan on doing this each year. I haven't gotten my emergency fund yet since we are still trying to figure out what portion of my unemployment goes towards the household expenses. We have a Group on here for "Total Money Makeover" so come join us if you haven't already!

Yahoo! I just checked on a automatic savings account that I totally forgot about and found it contained over $900!!!!! Wahoo - it is like hitting the jackpot :D We are adding this to make a $1500 car payment...that car is going down!

My pastor has been doing a series on finances - and using the book "Financial Peace Revisited" as a reference point. Today's message on God and Money was so good - if you get a chance this week take 40 minutes and listen to it.

It won't be up on the website until tomorrow, but check it out when it's there! daybreak : home is the website.

coriatc said:
We are starting FPU on the 8th

We also start class on the 8th! DH and I attended a "preview" today. Just the two of us and two women who were there alone. The facilitator says they will have more attending from the church and they have another preview next Sunday.

We bought the kit (only $100 at our class). Should we start reading/listening before the class or just go in cold?

chefjeanine said:
We also start class on the 8th! DH and I attended a "preview" today. Just the two of us and two women who were there alone. The facilitator says they will have more attending from the church and they have another preview next Sunday.

We bought the kit (only $100 at our class). Should we start reading/listening before the class or just go in cold?

Do as you please just DON'T SKIP CLASS. Class-time is where we got most of our motivation and epiphanies.

chefjeanine said:

Jeanine, you don't have to do anything before starting the class. You will get reading assignments and "homework" after each class. The CDs are the audio version of the DVD you'll watch in class.

I love Dave Ramsey and we have been doing the program for a few months now. Just got the money saved up and now starting on the debt part. This is one of the reason I decided to look into selling Pampered Chef. All my money is going to pay off debt. I am glad to have fellow members to support me. Elle

tnelle said:
I love Dave Ramsey and we have been doing the program for a few months now. Just got the money saved up and now starting on the debt part. This is one of the reason I decided to look into selling Pampered Chef. All my money is going to pay off debt. I am glad to have fellow members to support me.

Elle

All my PC income goes to our baby steps too (we're on BS3). Love it!

Being debt free is SOOOOOOOOOOO peaceful. I can't wait til you all get there!

DebbieJ said:
All my PC income goes to our baby steps too (we're on BS3). Love it!

Being debt free is SOOOOOOOOOOO peaceful. I can't wait til you all get there!

Uh, we can't either! Of course I keep slowing myself down by sharing with others in need around me lately, but I figure in the grand scheme of things, that will actually speed me up and give a chance to share why I feel confident in giving.

Yeah!!! One more step towards freedom.....

I paid our "12 months same as cash" bedroom furniture loan off on Friday. I called them and asked (just for fun) how much interest would be added if I hadn't have paid it off:

$513 in interest for the 12 months -- and that includes interest paid on the interest because they didn't require any payments for the 12 months "same as" deal.

WOW! We had planned on paying it off, and did so 2 months early just in case -- Now we can sleep on OUR bed instead of THEIRS!!

Ha! Take that you slave owners, you!! :p

Great job Janice! Many people don't realize the interest accumulates while you are getting your "same as cash" deal. If you were just one day late with the payment, you would owe them that $500! CRAZY!Keep up the momentum!

I just had to share that if you are doing this program, it works. But it also teaches your kids too! We have a budget of $50 every two weeks for Dining out. That usually allows us two sit-down meals, and maybe one sandwich shop, etc. My DH and I usually split a meal, so that keeps our costs usually below $20 for a sit-down, and we only get water. But what I was going to share was from last night. We go to church and don't get home until about 8pm because it's a 30 min. drive. So we usually save our night-out for Sunday after church so that we can eat more about 7:30 instead of 8:30-9pm at home. We had gone out for dinner on Friday night (for Valentine's and because we were lazy)- but the kids didn't realize we had used V'day money from my in-laws to go out.
So when we said we'd eat dinner out Sunday night, my 5-yr old yells, "But we already ate out this week! We don't have money for it." He then asked me if I had brought a Coupon for his favorite restaurant. (He knows we won't normally go there any more because they raised prices so much...unless I Have my 15% coupon they always send.) We just laughed and realized we were doing something right. :)

Bravo! It's amazing what we teach them that we don't even realize!

I took the plunge and signed up! It's just me, myself, and I now, so there's no one to argue with about finances. Of course, there's also no one to talk me out of spending, either... :p

We are out of debt and technically on Baby Step 4. I call it Baby Step 3.5 because, although we have our 6 months of savings... we can't exactly keep from touching it. I am the only wage-earner right now as my husband takes care of the baby and prepares to go back to school and although I can handle day to day expenses, when medical bills hit, we end up pulling from the "emergency" fund to pay them!

Right now, we're "House poor" We don't have a house. But when we moved to Texas I signed us up for too expensive of an apartment and we signed a year lease. So 50% of our take-home goes to rent right now. I am dreading the move at the end of the year, but staying isn't really tenable either (esp because I think they are going to raise the rent!)

However! Being out of debt (something we did originally shortly after we got married, because of a Larry Burkett program that is very similar) has made the move to Texas possible (although it drained $15K from savings, so now we are down to barely 6 months savings left), as well as allowing my husband to go back to school. So I'm a big fan. Just feeling like we are treading water at the moment.

Ann F said:
I took the plunge and signed up! It's just me, myself, and I now, so there's no one to argue with about finances. Of course, there's also no one to talk me out of spending, either... :p

Find us on TMMO and we'll talk you out of spending! ;)

vonfirmath said:
We are out of debt and technically on Baby Step 4. I call it Baby Step 3.5 because, although we have our 6 months of savings... we can't exactly keep from touching it. I am the only wage-earner right now as my husband takes care of the baby and prepares to go back to school and although I can handle day to day expenses, when medical bills hit, we end up pulling from the "emergency" fund to pay them!

Right now, we're "House poor" We don't have a house. But when we moved to Texas I signed us up for too expensive of an apartment and we signed a year lease. So 50% of our take-home goes to rent right now. I am dreading the move at the end of the year, but staying isn't really tenable either (esp because I think they are going to raise the rent!)

However! Being out of debt (something we did originally shortly after we got married, because of a Larry Burkett program that is very similar) has made the move to Texas possible (although it drained $15K from savings, so now we are down to barely 6 months savings left), as well as allowing my husband to go back to school. So I'm a big fan. Just feeling like we are treading water at the moment.

Treading water is better than drowning ANY DAY! :)

Join our TMMO group on here too...yell if you need any encouragement!

<h2>1. What is the Dave Ramsey financial plan?</h2><p>The Dave Ramsey financial plan, also known as the "Baby Steps" plan, is a step-by-step guide to help individuals get out of debt and achieve financial stability. It focuses on creating a budget, paying off debt, saving for emergencies, and investing for the future.</p><h2>2. How do I get started with the Dave Ramsey plan?</h2><p>The first step is to create a budget and track your expenses. This will help you identify areas where you can cut back and save money. Then, you can start following the Baby Steps, which include building an emergency fund, paying off debt using the debt snowball method, and investing for retirement.</p><h2>3. How long does it take to complete the Dave Ramsey plan?</h2><p>The timeline for completing the Dave Ramsey plan varies depending on individual circumstances, such as the amount of debt and income level. On average, it takes about 2-3 years to complete the plan and become debt-free.</p><h2>4. Can I still follow the Dave Ramsey plan if I have a low income?</h2><p>Yes, the Dave Ramsey plan is designed to work for people of all income levels. It may take longer to complete the steps, but the principles and strategies are still applicable. It's important to focus on cutting expenses and increasing income to make progress on the plan.</p><h2>5. How can I stay motivated while following the Dave Ramsey plan?</h2><p>It can be challenging to stay motivated while working towards financial goals, but there are a few things you can do to stay on track. Surround yourself with a community of like-minded individuals, celebrate small victories, and remind yourself of the long-term benefits of following the plan.</p>

1. What is the Dave Ramsey financial plan?

The Dave Ramsey financial plan, also known as the "Baby Steps" plan, is a step-by-step guide to help individuals get out of debt and achieve financial stability. It focuses on creating a budget, paying off debt, saving for emergencies, and investing for the future.

2. How do I get started with the Dave Ramsey plan?

The first step is to create a budget and track your expenses. This will help you identify areas where you can cut back and save money. Then, you can start following the Baby Steps, which include building an emergency fund, paying off debt using the debt snowball method, and investing for retirement.

3. How long does it take to complete the Dave Ramsey plan?

The timeline for completing the Dave Ramsey plan varies depending on individual circumstances, such as the amount of debt and income level. On average, it takes about 2-3 years to complete the plan and become debt-free.

4. Can I still follow the Dave Ramsey plan if I have a low income?

Yes, the Dave Ramsey plan is designed to work for people of all income levels. It may take longer to complete the steps, but the principles and strategies are still applicable. It's important to focus on cutting expenses and increasing income to make progress on the plan.

5. How can I stay motivated while following the Dave Ramsey plan?

It can be challenging to stay motivated while working towards financial goals, but there are a few things you can do to stay on track. Surround yourself with a community of like-minded individuals, celebrate small victories, and remind yourself of the long-term benefits of following the plan.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
Admin Greg
Replies
Views
IAmChefJ
  • esavvymom
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
NooraK