• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Can I Save a Moldy Baking Dish? Ask for Advice Here!

In summary, the customer found a rectangular baker that had gotten damp and moldy while going through her storage. They asked if there was any way to save it or if it should be thrown away. Suggestions were given to soak it in baking soda paste, bake it at 450F, or run a self-cleaning cycle in the oven. Some also recommended using bleach to clean it, but others warned that it could cause the stone to break and void its guarantee. Ultimately, the majority suggested throwing it out and offering a discount or free replacement. One customer shared a similar experience with a painted stone that could not be saved.
chefsteph07
Have a customer who was going through her storage, she said she found a rectangular baker that had gotten damp and moldy...wondered if there was any saving it or should she dump it?

There's nothing else wrong w/ it, no rodent droppings or anything, just the moldyness...

I'd personally say no, but thought I'd check if anyone else has come across this.

I wouldn't throw it away until I've tried a few things first. I'd soak it in the baking soda paste. Then I'd bake something in it (like crescent dough sheet or something) at 450 for a while and have that kill the bacteria (and throw the food away). Then I'd do the baking soda paste again.

Wow! That's pretty gross!

I vote for throwing it out. Mold isn't something you want to play around with. I would offer her a good deal to get a new one.

I would throw it out, if it is covered all over. But if it's just a couple spots and they go away with cleaning it and cooking, wouldn't it be safe to use? Great incentive to book a party, though, so she can get a free replacement! ;)

I'm a germaphobe, & that literally turned my stomach reading.. I would toss it.. yuck!

Soak it in bleach (which is great for molds), then try baking soda, then bake with something in it. I would try to save it before tossing. Baking at 450F (and the bleach!) would kill anything icky, so there really wouldn't be an issue with bacteria/germs. The main question is if she could get off any "mold residue". If there is any she can't get off, then I think it would have to be tossed.

JMO though!

I would suggest the bleach first, works great on mold. She could put it in the oven and bake it at 450. Another option for cleaning after it's been bleached is this, place it in your oven and run a self-cleaning cycle, then just rinse and dry. A close friend, who is a PC junkie, told me this trick. She would do it when she wanted a stone to look brand new and then just re-season it. She knows that the darker they are the better they work but she hates when her stone is black and just starts over. I have never tried this myself and I don't share this with my customers unless she happens to be at a show and then she tells them. If nothing works she can always host a show and get a free replacement or you can offer a discount.

Beth1170 said:
I would suggest the bleach first, works great on mold. She could put it in the oven and bake it at 450. Another option for cleaning after it's been bleached is this, place it in your oven and run a self-cleaning cycle, then just rinse and dry. A close friend, who is a PC junkie, told me this trick. She would do it when she wanted a stone to look brand new and then just re-season it. She knows that the darker they are the better they work but she hates when her stone is black and just starts over. I have never tried this myself and I don't share this with my customers unless she happens to be at a show and then she tells them. If nothing works she can always host a show and get a free replacement or you can offer a discount.

Be careful....that can make the stone break. Also, it voids the guarantee for stones that are within the time frame of one.

hmm.. my vote is trash it, that's what I did with a stone, NOT PC (from Target I think) .. trashed it, didn't bother trying to save it.. bleach and my clothes don't mix.. I hate mold and wouldn't even feel safe using it , and soaking it in bleach? wouldn't that come out in cooking with it? Either way, better safe than sorry. Plus as her consultant I wouldn't want to mislead any direction and make anyone sick. Just MY opinion.
I'd give a discount and offer a new one. Good Luck !

I'm guessing she will be unable to save this stone.

One of my customers had to throw out a stone that went back into her cabinets after she painted them (I think the outside of the cabinets). For some strange reason, the paint smell attached itself to the stone. She never found anything that took the smell away.

Another option for cleaning after it's been bleached is this, place it in your oven and run a self-cleaning cycle, Please don't do this or suggest this to your customers.... because the oven locks and can not be open this can start a kitchen fire it is not endorsed by home office and can be dangerous Beth, not picking on you just letting others know this is not a good solution

I also am not sure about the bleach thing. If bleach is saturated in the stone somehow, wouldn't that be harmful to put in the oven...the fumes? I would be nervous about doing that.

Maybe this would be a good question to ask HO.

chefsteph07 said:
Have a customer who was going through her storage, she said she found a rectangular baker that had gotten damp and moldy...wondered if there was any saving it or should she dump it?

There's nothing else wrong w/ it, no rodent droppings or anything, just the moldyness...

I'd personally say no, but thought I'd check if anyone else has come across this.

Is a damp and moldy stone like the long and winding road? LOL hee-hee :D

The idea of soaking a stone in bleach turns my stomach almost as much as the mold would! I'd just pitch it, really.

Teresa Lynn said:
Another option for cleaning after it's been bleached is this, place it in your oven and run a self-cleaning cycle,

Please don't do this or suggest this to your customers.... because the oven locks and can not be open this can start a kitchen fire it is not endorsed by home office and can be dangerous

Beth, not picking on you just letting others know this is not a good solution

As I said in my post, this was a suggestion from a friend who does this on a regular basis and that I haven't done it myself and I don't tell my customers. However, if she is at a show she will tell people, I just tell them that it is not endorsed by PC and if something happens it is not covered by the warranty. In the case of the moldy stone, I just thought it would be worth a mention.

Last edited:
I understand (thats why I said I wasn't picking on you)
I just know this was suggested by many consultants a few years ago to keep stones looking new and didn't want "newbies" to the site to mention it at their shows
Some people don't think about or remember that the oven locks during the self cleaning cycle and once you have a fire it still can't be opened.

1. Can I save a moldy baking dish?

It is not recommended to save a moldy baking dish. Mold can be harmful and difficult to completely remove, even with thorough cleaning. It is best to discard the dish and replace it with a new one.

2. Can I remove mold from a baking dish?

While it is possible to remove some mold from a baking dish, it may not be completely effective. If the mold has penetrated the surface of the dish, it may be impossible to fully remove it. It is best to err on the side of caution and replace the dish.

3. What should I do if I find mold on my baking dish?

If you find mold on your baking dish, it is best to discard the dish and replace it with a new one. If you are concerned about the safety of your other dishes, you can also disinfect them with a solution of one part vinegar to three parts water.

4. Can I prevent mold from growing on my baking dish?

To prevent mold from growing on your baking dish, make sure to thoroughly dry it after each use and store it in a cool, dry place. If you notice any cracks or scratches on the surface of the dish, it is best to replace it to prevent mold from growing in those areas.

5. How often should I replace my baking dishes?

This can vary depending on the material and quality of your baking dishes, as well as how often you use them. It is generally recommended to replace your dishes every 2-3 years to ensure food safety and prevent any potential mold growth.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• kitchenqueen
  • Pampered Chef Stoneware
Replies
Views
Amanda Goode
  • babywings76
  • Business, Marketing and Customer Service
Replies
Views
AnaCash
  • CaribooMom