1. Pampered Chef relies on relationships and communication. How are you managing your business in the wake of Coronavirus and social distancing? Discuss here
    Dismiss Notice

Pampered Chef: Damp and moldy stone

  1. chefsteph07

    chefsteph07 Legacy Member

    3,248
    7
    Have a customer who was going through her storage, she said she found a rectangular baker that had gotten damp and moldy...wondered if there was any saving it or should she dump it?

    There's nothing else wrong w/ it, no rodent droppings or anything, just the moldyness...

    I'd personally say no, but thought I'd check if anyone else has come across this.
     
    Mar 27, 2009
    #1
  2. babywings76

    babywings76 Legend Member Gold Member

    7,306
    58
    I wouldn't throw it away until I've tried a few things first.

    I'd soak it in the baking soda paste. Then I'd bake something in it (like crescent dough sheet or something) at 450 for a while and have that kill the bacteria (and throw the food away). Then I'd do the baking soda paste again.
     
    Mar 27, 2009
    #2
  3. janezapchef

    janezapchef Veteran Member Gold Member

    1,103
    1
    Wow! That's pretty gross!
     
    Mar 27, 2009
    #3
  4. BlessedWifeMommy

    BlessedWifeMommy Veteran Member

    1,762
    3
    I vote for throwing it out. Mold isn't something you want to play around with. I would offer her a good deal to get a new one.
     
  5. babywings76

    babywings76 Legend Member Gold Member

    7,306
    58
    I would throw it out, if it is covered all over. But if it's just a couple spots and they go away with cleaning it and cooking, wouldn't it be safe to use? Great incentive to book a party, though, so she can get a free replacement! ;)
     
    Mar 27, 2009
    #5
  6. WLMcCoy

    WLMcCoy Advanced Member

    700
    0
    I'm a germaphobe, & that literally turned my stomach reading.. I would toss it.. yuck!
     
    Mar 27, 2009
    #6
  7. AnnieBee

    AnnieBee Veteran Member Gold Member

    1,358
    0
    Soak it in bleach (which is great for molds), then try baking soda, then bake with something in it. I would try to save it before tossing. Baking at 450F (and the bleach!) would kill anything icky, so there really wouldn't be an issue with bacteria/germs. The main question is if she could get off any "mold residue". If there is any she can't get off, then I think it would have to be tossed.

    JMO though!
     
    Mar 27, 2009
    #7
  8. Beth1170

    Beth1170 Member

    92
    0
    I would suggest the bleach first, works great on mold. She could put it in the oven and bake it at 450. Another option for cleaning after it's been bleached is this, place it in your oven and run a self-cleaning cycle, then just rinse and dry. A close friend, who is a PC junkie, told me this trick. She would do it when she wanted a stone to look brand new and then just re-season it. She knows that the darker they are the better they work but she hates when her stone is black and just starts over. I have never tried this myself and I don't share this with my customers unless she happens to be at a show and then she tells them. If nothing works she can always host a show and get a free replacement or you can offer a discount.
     
    Mar 27, 2009
    #8
  9. babywings76

    babywings76 Legend Member Gold Member

    7,306
    58
    Be careful....that can make the stone break. Also, it voids the guarantee for stones that are within the time frame of one.
     
    Mar 27, 2009
    #9
  10. Jess_K

    Jess_K Member

    447
    1
    hmm.. my vote is trash it, that's what I did with a stone, NOT PC (from Target I think) .. trashed it, didn't bother trying to save it.. bleach and my clothes don't mix.. I hate mold and wouldn't even feel safe using it , and soaking it in bleach? wouldn't that come out in cooking with it? Either way, better safe than sorry. Plus as her consultant I wouldn't want to mislead any direction and make anyone sick. Just MY opinion.
    I'd give a discount and offer a new one. Good Luck !
     
    Mar 27, 2009
    #10
  11. chefjeanine

    chefjeanine Senior Member Gold Member

    2,995
    107
    I'm guessing she will be unable to save this stone.

    One of my customers had to throw out a stone that went back into her cabinets after she painted them (I think the outside of the cabinets). For some strange reason, the paint smell attached itself to the stone. She never found anything that took the smell away.
     
    Mar 27, 2009
    #11
  12. Teresa Lynn

    Teresa Lynn Legacy Member Gold Member

    3,474
    2
    Another option for cleaning after it's been bleached is this, place it in your oven and run a self-cleaning cycle,

    Please don't do this or suggest this to your customers.... because the oven locks and can not be open this can start a kitchen fire it is not endorsed by home office and can be dangerous

    Beth, not picking on you just letting others know this is not a good solution
     
    Mar 27, 2009
    #12
  13. babywings76

    babywings76 Legend Member Gold Member

    7,306
    58
    I also am not sure about the bleach thing. If bleach is saturated in the stone somehow, wouldn't that be harmful to put in the oven...the fumes? I would be nervous about doing that.
     
    Mar 27, 2009
    #13
  14. babywings76

    babywings76 Legend Member Gold Member

    7,306
    58
    Maybe this would be a good question to ask HO.
     
    Mar 27, 2009
    #14
  15. Kitchen Diva

    Kitchen Diva Legend Member Gold Member

    5,098
    0
    Is a damp and moldy stone like the long and winding road? LOL hee-hee :D
     
    Mar 27, 2009
    #15
  16. janezapchef

    janezapchef Veteran Member Gold Member

    1,103
    1
    The idea of soaking a stone in bleach turns my stomach almost as much as the mold would! I'd just pitch it, really.
     
    Mar 28, 2009
    #16
  17. Beth1170

    Beth1170 Member

    92
    0


    As I said in my post, this was a suggestion from a friend who does this on a regular basis and that I haven't done it myself and I don't tell my customers. However, if she is at a show she will tell people, I just tell them that it is not endorsed by PC and if something happens it is not covered by the warranty. In the case of the moldy stone, I just thought it would be worth a mention.
     
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2009
    Mar 29, 2009
    #17
  18. Teresa Lynn

    Teresa Lynn Legacy Member Gold Member

    3,474
    2
    I understand (thats why I said I wasn't picking on you)
    I just know this was suggested by many consultants a few years ago to keep stones looking new and didn't want "newbies" to the site to mention it at their shows
    Some people don't think about or remember that the oven locks during the self cleaning cycle and once you have a fire it still can't be opened.
     
    Mar 29, 2009
    #18
Have something to add?