• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Urgent Dairyland Dogtrack Is Closing - What Will Happen to the Dogs?

In summary, Dairyland is closing at the end of the year, leaving 500 greyhound racing dogs without a source of income for their owners. To prevent them from being destroyed, Greyhounds Only, a rescue organization, is committed to taking in 75 dogs, but they need support from foster families, boarding, food, vet care, and permanent homes. Greyhounds are known for their laid back, gentle, and well-behaved nature, making them great pets for families. However, they do require a fenced yard and may have a strong instinct to chase small animals. Despite this, they are generally good with children and are tested for compatibility before being adopted.
susanr613
Gold Member
Hey all you Midwest Cheffers - Dairyland is closing at the end of the year. It's good news if you disapprove of greyhound racing, but it brings up a problem - there will be 500 dogs no longer making money for their owners. Most of them will not be relocated to other tracks. So, unless they are adopted, they will be destroyed.

I adopted my Franny from Greyhounds Only, which is committed to taking 75 dogs. They need foster families, boarding, food, vet care, and, of course, permanent homes. Racing greyhounds are laid back, gentle, affectionate, and well-behaved. They do not need a lot of exercise; mine is happy with a few walks a day. They are not prone to big dog medical problems like hip displasia and bloat, although they do have bad teeth.

Anyway, if you are interested in learning more, please PM me and I can send you a flyer. I would also appreciate if you could pass this info around - you never know who might be interested in adding a well-mannered, elegant member to their family.

Thanks -

Susan,

We are not in the market for a dog, but I can testify that greyhounds are WONDERFUL pets.

You will want to have a fenced in yard and I don't suggest you start any habits you don't want to continue for the dog’s life (like getting up every morning and going for a walk). We walked through all kinds of weather, every day, before the crack of dawn. :)

Living with a Greyhound is kind of like living with a cat. Their favorite place is curled up asleep. If you are a cat owner, you'll want to be sure your dog is "cat tested". Greyhounds are sight hounds (that's why you need the fence -- they can't be put out on a chain) and some have an overwhelming desire to chase (and catch) small furry things.

The other reason you’ll need a fenced in yard? Greyhounds don’t understand the idea of coming back to you -- their job is to run away.

They do seem like wonderful pets ... but I am a cat owner (not a kitten owner) and my kitties are afraid of dogs ... even though most dogs just want to "play," they don't want any of that!

how are they with children?

chefcharity said:
how are they with children?

My dog LOVED kids. We didn't (and don't) have any of our own, but when friends were over he was always very gentle and sweet with them.

Di_Can_Cook said:
They do seem like wonderful pets ... but I am a cat owner (not a kitten owner) and my kitties are afraid of dogs ... even though most dogs just want to "play," they don't want any of that!

That's our situation right now. We have three cats and one we adopted. According to her foster mom, she has issues with dogs. If we ever get another dog, we'll have to wait until Mabel has gone to the other side.

Chef Charity, greyhounds are good with children in general. The more extraverted ones are great with all kids, and the shyer ones are best with older kids (taller than them). Franny was very shy and nervous when we got her, but in time she learned to enjoy being petted and talked to by kids. Now she goes up to even the tiniest kids and gives them a good snifffing-over.

A good adoption/rescue organization, like Greyhounds Only, will temperament-test the dogs and place them in foster care as soon as possible, usually with other dogs and kids in the household.

Jeanine, I have a funny story about running away. I had Franny for a few months, and she took off after being let out of the car. She ran for a block, then stopped when she realized no one was at the other end of the leash! That being said, yes, a Greyhound will bolt if given the chance, but so does my Jack Russell.

Anyway, thanks for commenting and bumping this thread. Even if you cannot help out directly, please pass along the info to others.

thanks -

Most of the time the greyhound adoption groups will take as many as they can in hopes to find homes but some may have to be put down.I had a greyhound. She ignored cats and was great with our kids. She would even lay with them on the floor and let them lay with her in her bed. She would always lay right where toys would fall. She was a great pet!

Most of the time the greyhound adoption groups will take as many as they can in hopes to find homes but some may have to be put down.I had a greyhound. She ignored cats and was great with our kids. She would even lay with them on the floor and let them lay with her in her bed. She would always lay right where toys would fall. She was a great pet!

Has anyone thought about the 160 humans who lost their jobs? What's going to happen to them?

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
Has anyone thought about the 160 humans who lost their jobs? What's going to happen to them?

Let's pray that they find something. . . not easy today, I know. Maybe you can find some new recruits.

At least the humans don't have to worry about being taken out back and shot in the head.

What is Dairyland Dogtrack and why is it closing?

Dairyland Dogtrack is a greyhound racing track located in Kenosha, Wisconsin. It has been in operation since 1989, but due to declining interest and attendance, the owners have decided to close the track permanently.

What will happen to the dogs currently racing at Dairyland Dogtrack?

All of the dogs at Dairyland Dogtrack are owned by individual trainers, and they will have the option to either take their dogs with them to another track or retire them. The track's management is working closely with adoption agencies to ensure that all dogs are placed in loving homes.

Will there be any job losses due to the closure of Dairyland Dogtrack?

Unfortunately, yes. The closure of Dairyland Dogtrack will result in job losses for the track's employees, including trainers, kennel workers, and track personnel. The track's management is working to provide support and resources for those affected by the closure.

What will happen to the land and facilities currently occupied by Dairyland Dogtrack?

The owners of Dairyland Dogtrack have not yet announced their plans for the land and facilities. However, there have been talks of potentially repurposing the space for other recreational activities or development.

Are there any plans to replace Dairyland Dogtrack with another greyhound racing track?

No, there are currently no plans to open another greyhound racing track in the area. Greyhound racing has been on the decline for several years, and many states have already banned the practice. It is unlikely that a new track will open in the future.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• imported_iteachurkid
  • Recruiting and Team Leaders
Replies
Views
cookingwithlove
Back