• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Cutting Board Bacteria: Debunking the Myths and Finding the Facts

K
ksartain
When I hosted the show I signed up from, the Consultant (my director now) mentioned that wooden cutting boards (except bamboo) transmit bacteria and that the polypropelene boards do not. My father-in-law broke in and told her that was not correct. The Consultant kept her cool and my father-in-law finally realized what an @$$ he was being, so he shut up about it. When I was preparing for the show I held at my MIL's house, he actually downloaded a document from the USDA that tells about the difference between the cutting boards and how they both transmit bacteria pretty equally. He handed it to me and said, "In case you want to use this during your show." What a butt. I told him I would not mention any tips like that because I didn't want him to harp on it for the next year. My show was 3 months ago and it's obviously still bothering him.
The only thing I will say in his defense of being a complete butthole about it is that he has a PhD in Food Science. But still, you don't tell someone they're flat out wrong while they're doing their job.
Just wanted to share and get that off my chest.
Kristy

Ok, I've just got to get some clarification. My trouble is with the verbage - transmit. Ok, so all cutting boards transmit, fine. What about harboring? Do all cutting boards harbor bacteria equally? What about sanitization? I've seen lots of conflicting opinions and data on this, so getting the facts (if they'r CURRENT) from an expert would be great!

Here is the official USDA FAQ on cutting boards. It actually suggests using one for meats and one for produce, so it may be a useful tool at shows to sell more than one cutting board.
Kristy

http://www.fsis.usda.gov/Help/FAQS_Hotline_Cookware/index.asp

All boards will "transmit" bacteria if not cleaned right. The one thing that I love about our cutting boards is that you can bleach them if you want to. I also put our boards in the dishwasher at home. Your shouldn't do this with wood. My husband and I use PC cutting boards at our restaurant. We do use different cutting boards for meat and veggies.:)

The article mentioned replacing the board after it gets grooves that are hard to clean... Ours can be sanded down with an electric sander and they are good as new! Ours aren't plastic, they're polyetholine(or however ya spell it), so maybe that is different than what the article is talking about.
You can also suggest turning it over for meats... mark one side so you'll know what side you have used for meat in the past.
But I have definitely poured bleach over it, let it sit for 10 minutes... rinse, beautiful! white and looking good as new!... plus the bleach kills the germs.
Maybe you could send that link to Home Office and see what they suggest saying. They know the products, and they know why they are made with the material they are made of. They probably have a clear explanation...and they are very helpful when ever I've called or emailed before.

1. Is it true that wooden cutting boards transmit more bacteria than plastic cutting boards?

There is a common misconception that wooden cutting boards transmit more bacteria than plastic cutting boards. However, research has shown that both types of cutting boards can harbor bacteria if not properly cleaned and maintained.

2. What is the best way to clean a cutting board and prevent bacterial growth?

The best way to clean a cutting board is to wash it with hot, soapy water after each use. It is also recommended to use separate cutting boards for raw meat and other foods, and to regularly sanitize the cutting board with a solution of one part vinegar to five parts water. Additionally, it is important to regularly replace cutting boards that are heavily worn or have deep grooves where bacteria can hide.

3. Can using a dishwasher effectively clean a cutting board?

While a dishwasher can effectively clean a cutting board, it is not recommended for wooden cutting boards as the hot water and detergents can cause warping and cracking. Plastic cutting boards can be washed in the dishwasher, but it is still important to regularly sanitize them to ensure proper cleanliness.

4. Is bamboo a better material for cutting boards than wood or plastic?

Bamboo cutting boards have gained popularity due to their durability and eco-friendliness. While they are resistant to bacteria growth, they still require proper cleaning and maintenance to prevent cross-contamination. Ultimately, the best cutting board material depends on personal preference and proper cleaning habits.

5. Are there any other myths about cutting board bacteria that should be debunked?

One common myth is that cutting boards can be effectively cleaned by simply wiping them down with a disinfectant. However, this only removes surface bacteria and does not properly sanitize the cutting board. It is important to thoroughly wash and sanitize cutting boards to prevent bacterial growth. Another myth is that plastic cutting boards are completely non-porous and do not harbor bacteria, when in fact they can still harbor bacteria in deep grooves or scratches.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• naekelsey
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
raebates
Replies
Views
pcjulie
  • thecougchef
  • Products and Tips
Replies