• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Removing Odors from Cutting Boards and Bamboo: Tips and Tricks

In summary, ODORS!!! Does any one have an idea on how to remove odors from the cutting boards? My mom called and asked as she can not get rid of the onion odor from them. I have issues with the bamboo. So any ideas would be great. Oh and bleach did not work.I would try a baking soda paste. Put a good thick coat on and leave it for 10 mins to soak! Hope this helps!Did she try the dishwasher for the cutting boards? ...of course that wouldn't work for bamboo since they are not dw safe.I looked around on Ask.com and found
pampered1224
Silver Member
ODORS!!! Does any one have an idea on how to remove odors from the cutting boards? My mom called and asked as she can not get rid of the onion odor from them. I have issues with the bamboo. So any ideas would be great. Oh and bleach did not work.

I would try a baking soda paste. Put a good thick coat on and leave it for 10 mins to soak! Hope this helps!

Did she try the dishwasher for the cutting boards? ...of course that wouldn't work for bamboo since they are not dw safe.

I looked around on Ask.com and found a couple articles. Vinegar is a great way to sanitize, but for odors- the baking soda paste seems to be the voted favorite that is tried and true.

Fyi, the baking soda slurry worked like a charm. Dumped a bunch of baking soda on there, then a little bit of boiling water from the kettle and scrubbed/slurried. I let it soak in the baking soda paste for about 15 minutes, then rinsed it off with very hot water/boiling water. No more garlic-flavored apples– thanks for the great tip!

She does not have a dishwasher so maybe that is Why mine don't smell as I do.
And I bet that is why my bamboo does smell! I hand wash them so... I know enough not to put them in the dishwasher because of the glue but I am also starting to dislike using them at all. I will try the baking soda paste and will pass that on to my mom as well. Thanks!

Crud! She already tried baking soda paste. So I am at a loss.

Ok...found another option. It's for garlic odor- but garlic/onion--what's the difference, right? And I've heard (and use) vinegar/lemon are great natural cleansers.....From How to Remove Garlic Odor From a Bamboo Cutting Board | eHow.com
How to Remove Garlic Odor from a Bamboo Cutting Board

1. Wash your cutting board thoroughly with a mild dish detergent. Do not scour your board with a steel wool or a rough sponge; this will only cause small nicks that can trap food particles. Rinse well and dry.

2. Wipe down your board with a soft cloth and 1 tbsp. (or so) of white vinegar. This will help disinfect the surface and prepare it for a deeper cleaning.

3. Rub the surface of the board with the juice of 1 lemon, making sure to cover it completely. Lemon juice is a strong acid; only stomach acid is stronger on the pH scale. Combined with its pleasant scent, it acts as a natural cleanser. The acid in the lemon will help neutralize the garlic odor. 4. Sprinkle about 1/2 cup of rock salt onto your board surface. You don't need to grind it in; just rub it on gently. Salt is a good absorbent and will draw out any moisture in your board that's contributing to the strong smells trapped inside. 5. Keep the board out overnight with the salt and lemon mixture on it. In the morning, rinse well and air dry.

6. Wipe down the cutting board with mineral oil. This will not only increase the longevity of the cutting surface but helps seal the wood and prevent food particles and juices from sinking into the surface and holding strong smells, such as garlic and onions.

Bobbi - you think it will work on the regular cutting boards? That is what my mom is having issues with. My bamboo platters are the ones that are a problem from serving salads with onions in them! And no, I never chop or cut anything on those so it just leached in and I thought that was not supposed to be porous! So I will do that for those. I e-mailed the test kitchens to see if they have any ideas too. Thanks!

Place the bamboo cutting board in a plastic bag sealed with some coffee beans or grounds. Place the beans/grounds in a little container or cheesecloth. I'd keep the coffee from touching the board because the natural oil of coffee could transfer to the board. Something about the coffee absorbing odors. This was recommended to me when I bought a book off the net that smelled musty. Of course you may transfer the smell of coffee to the boards so check it after a half-day, but that would be better than onion. When there is an obnoxious odor, you have nothing to lose to try different methods.As for our regular cutting boards just a solution of bleach and water should take the odor away. Try 1 T. Bleach to a quart of hot water. Or put some soft scrub with bleach on it. Or a paste of dishwasher detergent granules rubbed into the troubled spot. Let sit for a few hours and rinse off with hot water.

BINGO BECKY - The home Office agrees with the Soft Scrub but mentioned to let it sit some. So, I will let my mom know tomorrow! I hope she tries it before Sunday when I see her. That way I will know for sure!! I will try the coffee beans!

Thanks for the tips. I am getting some Soft Scrub w/ bleach today!

My food chopper smells like onions...how get I fix that? Hum, another thing to work on!

This thread tickled me to use the Soft Scrub w/Bleach on my own cutting boards last night. I squirted some on, scrubbed it around and let it sat while we ate. Voila when I did dishes I rinsed them off and they were nice and white.

John, let me know if the coffee helps with the Bamboo Cutting Board.

for what it's worth, the vinegar and lemon should work on regular boards too...not just bamboo. I saw the tail end of a show on the Food network (I think). They were testing the best methods for disinfecting cutting boards. The Vinegar worked the best.That stuff is like nature's miracle- you can use it for about everything in your house- and it's cheaper and safer! You might smell like a walking pickle for a little while, but it could be worse!

1. What is the best way to clean a bamboo cutting board?

The best way to clean a bamboo cutting board is to hand wash it with warm soapy water and a soft sponge or cloth. Avoid using harsh chemicals or abrasive scrubbers, as they can damage the bamboo and leave behind residue that can contaminate food.

2. How often should I oil my bamboo cutting board?

Bamboo cutting boards should be oiled every 3-4 weeks to keep them hydrated and prevent cracking. Use food-safe mineral oil or bamboo cutting board oil and apply a thin layer with a clean cloth. Let it sit for a few hours or overnight before wiping off the excess.

3. Can I use my bamboo cutting board for meat and vegetables?

Yes, bamboo cutting boards are safe to use for both meat and vegetables. However, it is recommended to have separate cutting boards for raw meat and other foods to avoid cross-contamination.

4. How do I get rid of stains or odors on my bamboo cutting board?

To remove stains or odors from a bamboo cutting board, sprinkle coarse salt over the board and rub it in with a cut lemon or white vinegar. Let it sit for a few minutes before wiping it off with a damp cloth. You can also use a mixture of baking soda and water as a natural deodorizer.

5. Can I put my bamboo cutting board in the dishwasher?

No, it is not recommended to put a bamboo cutting board in the dishwasher as the high heat and harsh detergents can cause the bamboo to warp, crack, or split. Hand washing with warm soapy water is the best way to clean and maintain a bamboo cutting board.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• donnathepamperedchef
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
rlombas
  • pamperedtraci
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
redsoxgirl
  • lovescooking