• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Should Past Host Discounts Apply to Combined Orders with Non-Host Customers?

In summary, the co-worker was unhappy because the past host discount was not applied to anything that co-worker C was buying. The co-worker also had to explain the Guest Special multiple times.
SummerG
Good Afternoon!

Uggh! I got frustrated with 2 of my co-workers today. Let me try to explain...Co-worker A is having a catalog party right now. Co-worker B is a past host and co-worker C is not. Co-workers B and C combined their orders *to save $4!* and therefore 10% past host discount is being applied.

This frustrates me because the past host discount should not be applied to anything that co-worker C is buying! I also had to explain over and over that the Guest Special applies to the total AFTER the past host discount has been applied. This meant that for co-worker C to get her freebie she had to grumble and spend more. I tried explaining the whole warranty issue with separate orders, etc but it didn't matter.

Just frustrates me but I can't really do anything about it... :rolleyes:

Last edited:
I know what you mean. It never fails to amaze me when people complain about our shipping. Have they never ordered from other direct sales companies or on-line? Ours is a really good deal - especially for those that order a lot.

Oh well! You can never please everyone!

Me TooThis is so common for me. Every show or caddy I put in has at least two people that "must" do this. Last month I ordered from another company and they charged me 6% of my order for shipping. Then last week I was going to order some candles from another company and they were going to charge me $30.00 shipping:eek: Needless to say I didn't buy the darn candles.

That is the good thing about Alaska shipping! It is 15% of the order total, so no one combines because it doesn't save them anything. I guess when we change to 15% plus $2 in March I might see a few more orders combined!

gilliandanielle said:
That is the good thing about Alaska shipping! It is 15% of the order total, so no one combines because it doesn't save them anything. I guess when we change to 15% plus $2 in March I might see a few more orders combined!

15%:eek: :eek:

We still have one of the best shipping costs around and yet people still complain. If it is a real small order I can see adding it to another order so they are not paying more for shipping than the product but I think we are fair.

That is just until March 1st, then it is 15% PLUS $2!! My customers have had it up to here!!

gilliandanielle said:
That is just until March 1st, then it is 15% PLUS $2!! My customers have had it up to here!!

I have to say Gillian that I believe 15% too high. It must hurt your sales!!

It definetly affects sales because with each item they add on they add on shipping too. At least with a flat rate like the $4 they can add as they please without bumping the shipping!

I could always upsell them previously because the direct shipping topped out at $14 with a $100 order, so I could easily get that. Now they changed it so any order over $130 is charged 11%. When ordering cookware that really adds up!

Does it really cost that much more to ship up there?? Shipping in Canada can be high. It is cheaper for us in Canada to ship to the US then to ship on our own country. Now that is Stupid:(

Maybe I'm missing something here...why would it upset you if 2 people combine orders to save on shipping? :confused:

I just got off the phone with a host who is having a cooking show in February.
She wanted to know who gets the free shipping, everyone? I said no just you the hostess. So she says, what do my guests have to pay, and I told her $4.00 (I don't think she really looked over anything I sent her). Then she wants to know if this goes directly to their homes? When I told her no the orders came to her and she would have to separate it, but it was very easy, she blew her cork!

Then she goes on to say how when she sold for another direct sales company (H.I.), the order came to the her the consultant, and then she delivered to the host. And how $4 is way to much! Does anyone know how much that company charges for an order? I think it depends on how much you spend doesn't, and it can get very expensive!

I offered to have it shipped to me and I would separate it and meet up with her for delivery, but she said no she would do it.

Why do people think $4 is so much, and our orders are the easiest by far to separate out! I just bought something today and it cost me $15 to ship!!

Can't please everyone, can't wait for her show, I have a feeling people will be combining orders and complaining on the shipping. :mad:

Thanks for let me vent!!
Kelly

KellyRedHead said:
I just got off the phone with a host who is having a cooking show in February.
She wanted to know who gets the free shipping, everyone? I said no just you the hostess. So she says, what do my guests have to pay, and I told her $4.00 (I don't think she really looked over anything I sent her). Then she wants to know if this goes directly to their homes? When I told her no the orders came to her and she would have to separate it, but it was very easy, she blew her cork!

Then she goes on to say how when she sold for another direct sales company (H.I.), the order came to the her the consultant, and then she delivered to the host. And how $4 is way to much! Does anyone know how much that company charges for an order? I think it depends on how much you spend doesn't, and it can get very expensive!

I offered to have it shipped to me and I would separate it and meet up with her for delivery, but she said no she would do it.

Why do people think $4 is so much, and our orders are the easiest by far to separate out! I just bought something today and it cost me $15 to ship!!

Can't please everyone, can't wait for her show, I have a feeling people will be combining orders and complaining on the shipping. :mad:

Thanks for let me vent!!
Kelly

Sounds like you have got your hands full!! I would make a point at her show to point out to all the guests how good our shipping rate is and that you "only" have to pay $4. Good luck!

Lisa-

It depends first off how many combine shipping. If many of them do, and the shipping is alot, I believe P Chef can come back on you the consultant for the shipping charges, I maybe wrong, someone correct me if I am.

Second, if they combine for shipping, then something breaks, and the order wasn't in their name, but they claim they got it at so and so's show, it makes it hard to find and replace.
Kelly

I think she is also upset because they are sharing the past host discount...

rennea said:
Sounds like you have got your hands full!! I would make a point at her show to point out to all the guests how good our shipping rate is and that you "only" have to pay $4. Good luck!

I have had to explain everything over and over again it seems. When I got off the phone the other night with her, my daughter asked me who I was talking to and why I had to keep repeating myself!!

UGH!!!!!

KellyRedHead said:
Lisa-

It depends first off how many combine shipping. If many of them do, and the shipping is alot, I believe P Chef can come back on you the consultant for the shipping charges, I maybe wrong, someone correct me if I am.

Second, if they combine for shipping, then something breaks, and the order wasn't in their name, but they claim they got it at so and so's show, it makes it hard to find and replace.
Kelly
If you do show after show with just one or 2 orders they would probably give you a call to question what you are doing, otherwise they wouldn't say anything.

Yes, if orders are combined it is hard to figure out but if they have the basic show information they can get by with it - maybe they got it as a gift or something - they have their stories.

Kelly - PC shipping is really good. If you want to give her a comparison have her go to a local UPS store with the weights and box dimensions of a typical order and ask her to have them quote from IL to NY with the new dimensional weights affective with UPS and FedEx this year. Then take that total and divide among the guests. She should see that she is getting a GREAT deal! I deal with shipping daily and work at a major pet supply company and can vouch that they are getting a great deal.

I would try to talk about the host bonus for orders if there is one (XXXXXX free with 15 orders) so people know they are cutting the host short by doing this!

People will complain no matter what sometimes. I think some people are just complainers looking for a bargain and sometimes don't even see it right in front of their noses.

gilliandanielle said:
I would try to talk about the host bonus for orders if there is one (XXXXXX free with 15 orders) so people know they are cutting the host short by doing this!
You can only hope that they see it that way!

LisaAnn said:
Maybe I'm missing something here...why would it upset you if 2 people combine orders to save on shipping? :confused:

Because a past host discount is being used in this case and she didn't earn a 10% discount. If she didn't earn it then it's not fair to be able to use it. Plus, she is getting the Guest Special this way without even spending the correct amount. AND, it is reducing commissionable sales due to the past host discount.

Last edited:
Just wait until Co-worker C has a prob with her item and Co-worker B has to do the return b/c it's in her name! They may think twice next time about the "savings" lol.

but...
gilliandanielle said:
It definetly affects sales because with each item they add on they add on shipping too. At least with a flat rate like the $4 they can add as they please without bumping the shipping!

I could always upsell them previously because the direct shipping topped out at $14 with a $100 order, so I could easily get that. Now they changed it so any order over $130 is charged 11%. When ordering cookware that really adds up!

do other's realize what I hadn't; you get paid per family member, CORRECT? for living in AK :)

When people complain about the s/h to me and try to combine, I tell them it's the insurance/guarantee, if anything breaks, or isn't to their satisfaction it takes care of it to pay the $ 4.00 s/h. Many of my customers have a hard time understanding why they have to pay in advance too. I surely can't cover their orders. Some of the biggest complainers make 6 digit salaries too. My boss being one of them.

Good Luck.

Maybe you could remind them as well that the hostess' free items taxes are taken care of my PC.

My director used to say PC needed orders separately as that's how they got credit for them.

Good Luck!

Liz

Last edited:
Most of my customers that have combined all order small things. I do not mind if they combine to save on shipping. Me and my mom place orders together all of the time with other companies to save on shipping.

I have not had a PH try to combine orders. If I did, I would try telling them it was against company policy and I could let someone get the PHD when they did not host a show and if they wanted to combine orders the discount could either not apply to all are only apply to part of it. BUT I know sometimes people can get out of hand with disagreeing with you.

Luckily, I do not have to deal with this often. Some bank employess that order from me, their department combines orders and they always put it in the same person's name and keep the receipt at the bank so they all know where they are.

I always remind people, that it makes life very difficult if one of the coworkers leaves the company, and the order was in their name...If you need to return something, it is a pain.

KellyRedHead said:
Lisa-

Kelly

This is incorrect. HO will not come after the consultant - and besides, they have no way of knowing if orders were combined.

lizcooks4u said:
do other's realize what I hadn't; you get paid per family member, CORRECT? for living in AK :)

That is true Liz. Alaskans get a dividend from the oil sales every October. You have to prove residency and there is a length of time that you have to be here to qualify. This year we will get 4, but once the baby gets here we get 5 in 2008! The dividends have ranged from $800-$1800 for each person depending on the oil prices. There is a 5 year lag, which means that in 5 years we will see more money from the high oil prices now.

It sucks because everyone gets their money on the same day, so everyone flies out of the villages and you can't TRY to park at a store. I stay home for at least 2 weeks after it comes out!

I had this happen to me in the extreme a couple of years ago. My MIL hosted a show and my SIL took some books and order forms to work to collect outside orders. That month, there was a really great guest special: free asjustable measuring spoon with any order, free adjustable scoop with $50 order. So dingy Marlene (my SIL) decided to work the system. She combined her coworkers orders (about 5 of them) onto 2 orders, both with her name. And they included 5 free spoons. And the 2 scoops. When I told her that I couldn't do that, she moaned and complained that she told everyone we could combine orders to reduce the shipping charge, but they'd still get the freebies. I told her that she'd only get 2 spoons and 2 scoops, and it was up to her to distribute them to the people who ordered (who I couldn't contact, because I didn't have names or phone numbers). And I only gave her 1 receipt for each order. She had the nerve to tell me that I was cheap for not giving her the extra spoons. PP would only let you enter one per guest order! I think she thinks that I make 75% commission. Why else would our stuff be so expensive (her words, not mine)? Oh- this is also the same SIL who wanted to order the kit in December just to get the products. She has absolutely no intention of ever being a consultant or even hosting.

You got to love family!

For the most part, I don't really care, as long as they realize the thing with the guarantee. One time, though, I had a catalog show host who encouraged people to combine orders. That was a problem because when she got the order, she didn't know who had ordered what. It was frustrating when she called me to ask, and I had no idea. All I could tell her was the names on the orders that she gave me. I kind of wanted to strangle her. THEN she used her free product for kit credit and NEVER SIGNED UP!! That's a whole nother story, but whatever...

At least your "In-Laws" order!! I have yet to receive ONE order from my Mother-in-Law, or Two sister-in-laws. Oh, I take that back, my Husband was doing a fundraiser in May (for his non-profit org) and my Mother-in-law bought one Pink Bar Board - and complained about paying TAX!! My two sister-in-laws expect me to "GIVE" them items FREE!! ON A REGULAR BASIS!! :eek: I gave one sister-in-law for Christmas, the white rectangular platter with the Woven Traditions server... before opening the box she said "Oh, I hope this isn't the WHITE one, I really like the striped platter" In front of everyone!!! Then she says "Can you return it - I'd rather have stripes." :mad: Well, Hello, we only sell the striped one as part of the entertaining set now and I wasn't going to shell out that much money for her! I did take it back and found one on LMAD. She will never know! On the other hand, my side of the family are some of my best customers!! My sister bought two Exec Family Skillets with Lids for her daughters for Christmas - and all I gave her was the 10% past host discount. My in-laws are goofy, sometimes rude!! Okay - needed to vent - it's just always bothered me that they won't support my business by hosting or ordering off family shows. Thanks for listening...:eek:
Joanne

I don't mind people combining orders for little things. But I also had a December catalog host combine EVERYONE'S orders because they (she?) had a problem with the S&H charge. I told her that she would have to figure out what belonged to whom and if there was ever a warranty issue, it was going to be a mess.

THEN she called me to complain that she didn't order the holiday mini catalogs and didn't appreciate being charged for them. WTF?? Yes, they are on the packing slip because they need to be included, but they are FREEEEEEEEE.

She was waving some red flags, but I ran far, far away.

DebbieJ said:
She was waving some red flags, but I ran far, far away.

Good for you. You can't get away from people like that fast enough.

Sometimes you just have to smile and let your customers shoot themselves in the foot.

That's good to know the HO office won't come back on the consultant.

I have combined orders with my Mom also, but I just frown on combining like 5orders onto one.

I guess we will never make everyone happy!

Kelly

When I first started I combined a couple of orders to get the 10% phd (friends who said they weren't concerned with warranties) and didn't realize that I was losing commission that way. I no longer do that. (all my friends have had shows of their own now and get 10% off anyway:))
I used to think the shipping was high (when I was a customer) but I never really thought about it until I became a consultant and realized how cheap it really is.

yesterday I just placed an order with Southern Living At Home my shipping was $35 & tax was $25Teresa

I combine small ordersI have these faithful customers at my mother's work that order periodically and it's usually small things because they are young girls who work part time and go to school.
My mother can usually get about $200 in orders for me almost every other month. I don't mind combining orders and we have never had a problem. I usually keep a Word document with the people's names and what they ordered so that we can seperate when the order comes in.
I try not to encourage this any other time but there are always those cheap people at parties that complain about shipping. I had a lady tell me
"Why do they charge $4.00 for shipping if I only buy an item worth $10?"
I said,
"Our shipping costs are actually one of the lowest in the direct sales business. Taste of Home, Southern Living and Candle companies will charge you much more for shipping. Our cost is only $4.00 no matter how much you order. Maybe this time you are only purchasing a $10 item but let's say one day you decide you want to purchase $100, the shipping is still only $4.00. This includes insurance and tracking with this package. I can't even send an envelope through priority mail with insurance and tracking for less than $6.00 at the post office."
This usually helps them to see they are being cheap and then I usually have other guest chime in about spending way too much on shipping elsewhere and this cheap person slinks to another part of the house to hide.
Debbie :D .

What cracks me up is that people will complain about $4 s&h for only spending around $10, but if you look on ebay, people will pay $5 s&h on a $3 item and not think twice!! Hello?? What is the difference??

I think part of the mindset is because the $4 PC shipping isn't coming straight to them. They'll pay more to have it come direct to their door, but they don't like having to pay when it's not being delivered to them. They look around a party, count people, and say, "There are 6 people here. That's $24 for shipping! That's outrageous!" without realizing how heavy an entire show is, especially in February, when stoneware is on sale.

A few people at my last show combined orders and it ended costing the host not to get the free gift for over 15 orders. I didn't realize it until I was closing out the order last night. Normally I really don't care, but I felt really bad for the host.

I had a show last Sept. where the hosts mom brought like $400 in orders from her work. They were all on these little slips of paper and 2 or 3 at a time went in on orders together. It was a nightmare! It wasn't even worth me trying to explain to them why it was not a great idea. The host had been a consultant about 3 years ago so I was very surprised that it didn't even phase her.

The show was over 800$ so I guess I can't complain too much....

There is an office of ladies who turn in a catalog show to me every other month. The ladies combine their orders to save *$4* all the time...I never know who really ordered what because it's always under just one name. And they don't seem concerned too much about the guest special.
I guess it's all about the final sale...so who cares how it's divvied up!

TwinGirlsMom said:
There is an office of ladies who turn in a catalog show to me every other month. The ladies combine their orders to save *$4* all the time...I never know who really ordered what because it's always under just one name. And they don't seem concerned too much about the guest special.
I guess it's all about the final sale...so who cares how it's divvied up!

...until one of them has a tool break and needs to utilize the warranty to get it replaced...

dannyzmom said:
...until one of them has a tool break and needs to utilize the warranty to get it replaced...

That may be when a wake up call is made! I don't encourage combined orders as it is a pain when something goes wrong.

I know...I've explained all this and they still don't care. That *$4* sure saves them money! The positive thing is that the host does save her slips of paper that shows who combined with whom...should a warranty issue arise.

As far as the PHD is concerned if you ask for them to write their orders down separately and tell them you'll order them on the same order to SAVE on shipping you could charge the full price for the Non-PH, and donate the extra $$ to the Round Up. :cool:
Next time they won't be so quick to tell you their combining orders ;)

amcclanaghan said:
As far as the PHD is concerned if you ask for them to write their orders down separately and tell them you'll order them on the same order to SAVE on shipping you could charge the full price for the Non-PH, and donate the extra $$ to the Round Up. :cool:

I *think* that sounds like a good idea, but I can't wrap my mind around it. Maybe I'm tired. Could you (or someone else) explain this one differently?

I need an idiot smiley. I hate when I don't "get" things.

amcclanaghan said:

I don't get what you mean:confused:

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• babywings76
  • Business, Marketing and Customer Service
Replies
Views
LadyGhee
  • dannyzmom
  • Business, Marketing and Customer Service
Replies
Views
Jules711