• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Dealing with an Irate Customer: Tips for Pampered Chef Consultants

In summary, the woman is a good customer who always spends at least $50 at PC shows, but the last couple have been very irate about having to pay S&H again. I tried to explain how PC has done a phenomenal job of keeping costs down, but she just wasn't having it. Maybe trying to address the issue with the HO would work better?
Amanda in RI
I'm at my wit's end with this woman. She is a good customer. She loves PC. She always spends at least $50, and has been to probably 5? shows that I have done. But the last couple (one of which was last night), she was really irate about having to pay S&H again. I tried to explain how PC has done a phenomenal job of keeping costs down, and how PC really eats the shipping that isn't paid for by the customers. No dice.

She ended up adding her order onto her past-host-friend's order (like she did the last time she complained). She complained that her friend really wasn't saving any money with her 10% discount, because then she had to pay shipping. She said that past hosts shouldn't have to pay shipping at all. :confused:

I just don't know how to deal with her. She was very vocal about this, and eventually her friend was showing people the receipt and complaining about shipping as well.

I talked to her for quite a while...I just feel like nothing I said got through (and I was being very reasonable and NICE). She just kept going around in circles.

Any ideas of what to say? I'm not sure common sense will work! :rolleyes:

I'd say, I'll tell you what, you book a kitchen show with me and have a party of at least $500 and I'll give you and all your guest Free shipping that day.

:D

Maybe then that'll shut her up for a while anyways. It's a win-win situation.

I'd do it as a ONE TIME thing though.

That isn't a bad idea....

I did say "If you have a show, you would get free shipping as the host!" (with a bright smile on my face :D ), but she didn't really respond to that.

Meh. :rolleyes:
People like that are just grumpy about the world and want someone to listen. That's really too bad, cuz I don't listen to that crap. :p
Honestly, IMO, those types of people will biotch about the sky being too bright of a shade of blue. Smile at her and sweetly say "The only way I know of to give you free shipping is when you host a show!" and then move on.

hummmm, maybe try telling her you will also address the issue with the HO. Wether you really do or not is up to you, but this wayshe would feellike you are really listening and truely do care. But I do agree I would tell here that hosting a cooking show gives her free shipping (In her opinon I would take care of her shipping cost for a year) :p

Shipping costsI am always amazed at people who gripe about our shipping costs. Now, if they're just buying a spatula or some other small item, I can see where they might just want to add it to someone else's order. But if they are spending at least $50 every time (like in this woman's case), she's getting a substancial package, and $3-4 for shipping is really a pretty good deal. Chances are that if whatever she bought was shipped by itself, it would cost way more than what PC is charging. I sell stuff on eBay (don't worry, it's all non-PC stuff) so I know what it costs to ship items. It can be costly.
Do you think these people call JCPenney's HO or the HO of some other mail-order company because they have to pay shipping every time they order from them. Probably not. Like was stated previously, some people just like to have something to groan about.

Hi
I would find the list of S/H for indiviual orders threw PC and other mail order companies and point out the SAVINGS on S/H at the shows. Show her in a nice way. That it could be worse and that it's really a savings not a cost.
It is really a discounted S/H.
Point this out during the show this way it's not directed at her. And may cut off her complaint before she gets started. Other's at the party may also be less simpathic to her if she starts up.
Always try to turn a negitive into a positive. If I get a negitive at a show I try to find a positive there (If it won't be confrontational.) or at least after for next time.

See... and the spunky side of me would've messed with her.

"PC now offers FREE shipping if you go to the home office directly and pick it up yourself ;) "
I bet the shipping is cheaper than the gas on that road trip.

Free shipping- That would not work for me- Ilive about 2 miles from home office (LOL)

Hmmm... your host has done 5 shows for you and always orders abut $50. How about telling her that you have been considering her thoughts about the shipping and that you have decided to give a new incentive to customers like her.

Something like: If she does a $450 (company average) show once a year you will give her free shipping on any order she places that is $50 or more.

Announce it at your shows - it would possibly make the difference as to weather someone else will also book a show and you will get much more than that $4 - even at the lowest commission rate you earn $10 on a $50 order.

If this woman has ever been to other home parties she would realize that PC has just about the lowest S&H costs out there. Other companies like Arbonne start there shipping at $7.99. Maybe if you had a list of other companies shipping costs to compare for her and other customers to see then they would be less likely to complain. -Just an idea.

Great Idea Beth! I will have to keep that in mind!!! :)

There's not a retail outlet in the WORLD that offers free shipping to repeat customers. If you place multiple orders online, you pay shipping EACH and EVERY time. This lady is clearly just one of those people who thinks complaining enough will save her some $. People like this really irk me.

Knowing how much it costs to ship a UPS package, I can't believe P.Chef doesn't charge more than it already DOES for shipping. There's no way that she could EVER pay that little for shipping as the $3.50 she's paying now. I wouldn't make any provisions for her. I would respectfully tell her that the price for shipping is $3.50 per guest. If she doesn't want to pay it, then she should host a show. If she doesn't want to do that, then she's out of luck. Why should YOU have to pay her shipping?

Can you tell I'm a little grumpy today?

I'm not grumpy but I completely agree. :D There are definetely people out there that will gripe to get their way.

I just went to ahome party i spent $135.00 it was a good friend she has been to a couple PC shows ! I got charged 10% shipping $13.50 ! I thought that was crazy 10% of your order toal !! I think PC has the cheapest shipping around !!

Try living on Guam.....I think I stated this a while ago, but on Guam the shipping is 15%! I have heard no complaints so far though!

As we all know and has been said on here that Pampered Chef's shipping charge is better than fair. They make no money on it (which is as it should be). I wouldn't let that woman make a big fuss out of it, just treat it as a matter of fact and like someone else said, move on.
Don't show that you're upset about her complaining at all. Shipping is just a fact of life, unless you're at the store and buying something there.

But if they go to a kitchen store and purchase something, if after a few months of use they decided they don't like it, or it breaks........too bad, so sad.

I'd also mention, "Our hosts don't pay shipping. If you have a show your shipping is free."

I don't think I'd offer an incentive that we already offer our hosts. It's like a privilege in my opinion. Hosting a show is a pretty important thing. It will bring you more business than a $50 order a few times a year.

Kris

Amanda in RI said:
I'm at my wit's end with this woman. She is a good customer. She loves PC. She always spends at least $50, and has been to probably 5? shows that I have done. But the last couple (one of which was last night), she was really irate about having to pay S&H again. I tried to explain how PC has done a phenomenal job of keeping costs down, and how PC really eats the shipping that isn't paid for by the customers. No dice.

She ended up adding her order onto her past-host-friend's order (like she did the last time she complained). She complained that her friend really wasn't saving any money with her 10% discount, because then she had to pay shipping. She said that past hosts shouldn't have to pay shipping at all. :confused:

I just don't know how to deal with her. She was very vocal about this, and eventually her friend was showing people the receipt and complaining about shipping as well.

I talked to her for quite a while...I just feel like nothing I said got through (and I was being very reasonable and NICE). She just kept going around in circles.

Any ideas of what to say? I'm not sure common sense will work! :rolleyes:

I do have to say that considering she has come back time and time again you should cut her some slack and give her free shipping at least once. A happy customer will always come back and refer you to others. True we can't please everyone but we sure can try as hard as possible to hear their thoughts and show we care.
I have created a flyer, that I only offer to my members in a PC flyer club I have created, that shows shipping rates for a combination of PC products with weight for UPS, and local post office. They will see that they are getting a real bargain.
Also offer a show where everyone who orders so much gets FREE shipping. Ordering $50 from you is a good incentive to give her FREE shipping at least once. Also offer her the option of a catalog show and tell her that if she gets at least $500, or whatever you think is fair, in sales you will not only give her the 10% discount for a year but also a special host card for FREE shipping for a full year or 6 months or something like that. and it gets renewed with a new show! Good luck dealing with her next time. Remember those who speak the loudest aren't always the smartest! Debbie

The good thing is, that YOU run your business - not anyone else. I personally think that PC is VERY generous to it's Hosts, Guests, and consultants... and I'm not recreating the wheel just because of a few people that gripe.
My personal opinion is that if you offer this lady free shipping once, she'll expect it every time. And then she'll tell her friends. And they'll expect it. And on and on.

Do whatever you want to do, of course, you are running your own business. But I think I'd just tell her that free shipping is something we offer our hosts only, hand her the host benefits flyer, and MOVE ON! *next* ! :D :p

I'd just mention that Longaberger, for example, charges 9-15% shipping with a minimum of $7.95 and takes an average of 4-6 weeks to arrive. Hostesses ALSO have to pay shipping unless their guest sales top $600!! Tupperware also charges like 10% shipping as well, so PC does have very competitive shipping/handling. :)

my director sent this out a few weeks ago:

The shipping fee for SL(southern living) is as follows:
0-$10.00 = $3.00
10.01 - $20.00 = $4.00
21.01 - $30.00 = $5.00
30.01 - $50.00 = $6.00
50.01 - $75.00 = $8.00
75.01 - $100.00 = $10.00
100.00 - $150.00 = $14.00
150.01 - $200.00 = $18.00
200.01 - $250.00 = $22.00
250.01 - $300.00 = 26.00
If orders are above $300.00 it's $4.00 per $50.00

What I have found as a general rule is that everyone is basically doing 10% shipping with a minimum of $4. Once you hit $40 you climb as your order climbs. Candles are a little different for small orders but I think it is safe to pass along to your groups that most everyone is doing 10% with the minimum of $4.
We are still the best!!!

Hope this helps!

Listen, listen, listen!When someone gripes, they are showing they care. Maybe they came from a big family and that was how they got anyone to listen to them at all. Maybe their husband never listens to them. Nonetheless, YOU are the consultant - know this about human nature: she/he wouldn't gripe if they didn't care.

Turn it into the BEST customer service opportunity you can. Shower her with 3 or 4 other companies' shipping (including 1 Nordstrom or Nieman Marcus or Penny's, just to give her a reality check) and ask her what she believes would be fair.

As a last resort, you could enter her order on the host's order, but it creates some problems for the guarantee paperwork.

Make sure she understands the shipping cost is her choice - she could choose to either (A) host a show and have 0 shipping herself, or (B) pay much more for direct shipping.

Take care; good luck.

I have had the ocassional gripes about shipping but the thing I get the most about the shipping is the taxing of the shipping. I don't really know what to tell my guests about that...any good responses to that one?

I definately don't want to sound rude, but charging tax on shipping is simply the law of the state that you are in. If they don't agree with it, tell them to write their state government.

1. How should I handle an irate customer as a Pampered Chef consultant?

As a Pampered Chef consultant, it is important to remain calm and professional when dealing with an irate customer. Listen to their concerns and apologize for any inconvenience they may have experienced. Offer to find a solution or escalate the issue to a manager if necessary. Remember to always represent the company in a positive light and try to turn the situation into a positive experience for the customer.

2. What if the irate customer becomes verbally abusive?

If a customer becomes verbally abusive, it is important to stay calm and not engage in any arguments. Politely remind the customer of the company's policy against abusive language and offer to find a solution to their issue. If the situation becomes too difficult to handle, do not hesitate to involve a manager or end the conversation.

3. How can I prevent an irate customer from leaving a negative review online?

The best way to prevent negative reviews is to address the customer's concerns and find a satisfactory resolution. Follow up with the customer after the issue has been resolved and ask if they would be willing to update their review. Additionally, make sure to consistently provide excellent customer service to prevent any future negative experiences.

4. What if the irate customer's issue is not covered under the company's policies?

In this situation, it is important to be honest and transparent with the customer. Explain the company's policies and offer alternative solutions, such as a discount or store credit. It is important to show empathy and understanding towards the customer's frustration, even if their issue cannot be fully resolved.

5. How should I document the interaction with an irate customer?

It is important to document any interactions with an irate customer for future reference. This can include recording the customer's concerns, any solutions offered, and the outcome of the situation. Keeping thorough records can help with addressing any recurring issues and can also serve as a reference for future interactions with the customer.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• Roadtripray
  • Business, Marketing and Customer Service
Replies
Views
Admin Greg
  • chefsteph07
  • Business, Marketing and Customer Service
Replies
Views
lt1jane
  • andrealynne719