• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Mastering Crowd Control at Events: Tips for Shy Presenters

R
rhonda4554
Does anyone ever just have a really tough time at shows keeping the guest's focus on you and getting them to save their socializing until after you're done with your presentation? I know that not all crowds are at the shows to chit chat, but I think that my crowd last night was not one of them. How can you control the crowd when you are a really shy, quiet person? I always feel like such a mean person when I am trying to get them to pay attention to me so that I can say what I am there to say. My order average for my show last night was very low, and I think that it is because I didn't show a lot of tools...and the ones I did talk about, no one was even listening. I am proud to say though, that for the first time I actually asked every customer there if they were interested in booking a show or any other information like the business opportunity...unfortunately, everyone said no or not now, but at least I gave it a try!

Crowd control tipsRhonda,

Unfortunately sometimes there's nothing you can do about talking guests but you can try several things:

1. stop. Just smile and wait for them to notice that you are politely waiting for them to get back to you. Then, as you start up again, say something like "I didn't want you to miss this important part of the recipe or this great tip or ..."

2. ask someone a question about one of your products or ask someone to help you with the recipe. Pick someone who is stealing others' attention.

3. look to see if ANYONE is paying attention, shrug, smile at them and continue on. Often they will nudge someone else and say "hey you guys"

4. be quiet and keep putting the recipe together and loudly announce "WA LA" They'll look at you and you can say "See how great our recipes are! You didn't even realize that I was doing anything and it's ready for the oven already!" That usually jogs them into realizing how rude they were without you being the bad guy.

5. say "Hey! I'm cooking here! Don't you want to know the secrets?" or "Hey! It's my turn to talk! I promise I'll be quick and then you can catch up with each other." or "I can see that you all are excited to be together tonight but please just give me a little while to share some tips." or "Hey! It's my turn! Let me tell you about..."

6. whisper. If you lower your voice often you get people's attention.

7. chalk it up. Smile. Do your thing and relax. Some groups just won't be controlled :rolleyes:

questionThanks for the tips Beth. I will definately keep those in mind. Rhonda, I had the same problem at my show last Saturday. The host ended up not have much in sales and is now trying to get a bunch of outside orders. Fortunately not every show is like this. :eek: I do have a question: Would it be rude to talk to the hostess before the guests get there and mention that the shows that have have guests that talk through the whole demonstrations usually don't have as much in sales as shows where people listen to the demo? Maybe there is a more polite way to say what I just wrote. I thought maybe if the hosts new that excessive talking during the demo might affect the show sales then maybe the host would provide more crowd control.

Thanks!Thanks for the tips! I know that not every show is like that...I've done at least 50 or so shows since I started in Jan 04. It just gets frustrating, ya know?! I think that I just needed to vent and find a new way to go about getting my crowd's attention. And you are totally right...when everyone is talking, the sales are down, and that hurts the host as well as us. :eek:

I had a similar experience last year. After a couple of months I decided to change how I did my shows. So, instead of making everyone be quiet I encourage loudness, but it is controlled by me. I went to Party City and bought about 20 clappers (the necklace kind) and I give them out to all of the guests at the beginning of the show. Then after my intro I tell them about the word of the day. Whenever I say the word of the day the first one to make some noise gets a ticket. It only takes about 2 times before they realize they have to pay attention to what I'm saying to get the tickets for my drawing. They are listening to me and concentrating of what I'm saying so they don't miss the word of the day.

It is alot of fun and has helped my sales (I think -- I started doing alot of things differently so I am not sure what ONE thing helped, but this helped crowd control)

Also, at National conference last year one lady suggested leaving your demo area and looking around the room like you lost something. Then when someone asks what you are looking for say, "I've lost control and I needed to find it again." She said that usually that is all it takes for her groups to calm down and focus.

Hope this helps you.

Great tips!!
Chef Kearns said:
I had a similar experience last year. After a couple of months I decided to change how I did my shows. So, instead of making everyone be quiet I encourage loudness, but it is controlled by me. I went to Party City and bought about 20 clappers (the necklace kind) and I give them out to all of the guests at the beginning of the show. Then after my intro I tell them about the word of the day. Whenever I say the word of the day the first one to make some noise gets a ticket. It only takes about 2 times before they realize they have to pay attention to what I'm saying to get the tickets for my drawing. They are listening to me and concentrating of what I'm saying so they don't miss the word of the day.

It is alot of fun and has helped my sales (I think -- I started doing alot of things differently so I am not sure what ONE thing helped, but this helped crowd control)

Also, at National conference last year one lady suggested leaving your demo area and looking around the room like you lost something. Then when someone asks what you are looking for say, "I've lost control and I needed to find it again." She said that usually that is all it takes for her groups to calm down and focus.

Hope this helps you.

I love those ideas!! Thanks!

Chef Kerns...love your "I've lost control" idea...too funny! sounds like something I would do.

The other thing is to get the loudest person to get up and help you demo something...anything.

Try to get them involved. Also giving tips about food or cool things to do with products really helps.

Crown Control - Mobile PhoneI loved the Crowd Control tip about asking the guests to listen out for a certain word then making a noise - that's great. I will try that one just to add a new dimension to my shows. I don't usually have much trouble controlling the crowd unless I forget to ask them to turn off their mobile phones. I did a show a couple of months ago where one guests took three calls during the show and totally disrupted the evening. It wasn't totally wasted though because I rang her a few days later and she became my first recruit!

Yvonne....CONGRATS on the new recruit! How many in your group now?

I've heard of a different take on looking around the room for something. Except you can say you lost their attention.

Or if you're doing a recipe where you need to chop something or use the Chef's Knife, you can chop it like crazy on your cutting board and make tons of noise. Usually people stop to see what the heck is going on!

I love these suggestions!

I have a different question regarding crowd control. At my show this weekend, there were two kids ages 2 and 3. These kids were playing in the adjoining room and from time-to-time everyone would stop to just laugh or comment on how "cute" they were. At one point, the 3 year-old threw a toy football onto the table where I was demonstrating the garlic press. How exactly do you guys handle this sort of thing? I don't mind older kids at my shows, or even younger kids if they are pretty calm, but this was very distracting. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

I would probably say, "If you guys want to help in the kitchen, you have to wash your hands. Otherwise you need to go play in another room."

The little kid thing is hard, especially if the host doesn't do anything (and they are HER KIDS!). You don't want to offend her or your guests. I somehow make a joke about it or try to get the kids involved.

What if the kids came with a guest? These kids were not actually the host's kids. I've considered saying "No children" at the shows, but I think that would cut down attendance somewhat.

I don't think you can say no kids unless the host wants to say that. It would be rude of you to do so.

I think you can use humor to get the kids out or involved. You could say something like, "Look...our future Pampered Chef consultant! Are you coming to help?" That usually stops them in their tracks because this stranger is talking to them and everyone is staring. If it doesn't get them to wash up and give them a simple job. Your guests will be impressed at how you handled it. HOPEFULLY the mother will intervene BEFORE and take the kid out of the room....HOPEFULLY!

Handling KidsWhat works for me when handling kids is the following:

Normally I ask the hostess if anyone will be needing to bring their children.

If so, I bring along the kids cookie cutter set (or any cookie cutters for that matter) and some play-dough. The kids can sit in another room and "make Pampered Chef surprises" for their moms while the show is going on. Many parents really appreciate the extra effort I took, (and it isn't hard to make play-dough! I have a recipe from my mom from when I was a kid. If anyone wants it, email me at [email protected].) You can make it whatever color you want, too!

:)

Michelle Roth
Independent Kitchen Consultant
[email protected]

Great IdeaThat's a really good idea Michelle. The homemade playdough recipe I have uses Kool-Aid which comes in a wide variety of colors.

Thanks for sharing!

I have two recruits now - thanks for the interest. My second recruit has just done her 4th show, so I am now officially a Future Director!

One of my recent hosts mentioned to me that she would never do another show with my director (which is why she ended up booking with me at a soccer game)...anyway, she said that at the show the consultant was very rude in the way she came across to get people's attention back onto her demonstration. It really upset several people, especially since they were talking about the products.

It's a fine balance and I think that some of the ideas posted here are great...

One time when I was demonstrating on an unstable card table and the two kids, who were nieces, were literally sitting on top on the card table. Their mom wasnt saying anything!!! It was soooo frustrating!

MSmith said:
One of my recent hosts mentioned to me that she would never do another show with my director (which is why she ended up booking with me at a soccer game)...anyway, she said that at the show the consultant was very rude in the way she came across to get people's attention back onto her demonstration. It really upset several people, especially since they were talking about the products.

It's a fine balance and I think that some of the ideas posted here are great...

Do you know specifically what your director did?

noradawn said:
Do you know specifically what your director did?

I really was nervous about the whole situation b/c I didn't want to get involved with talking bad about anyone, especially my director...I just apologized for her bad experience and re-directed the conversation.

1. Does anyone ever just have a really tough time at shows keeping the guest's focus on you and getting them to save their socializing until after you're done with your presentation?

Yes, this is a common challenge for presenters at events. It can be difficult to capture and maintain the attention of a large group of people, especially if they are more interested in socializing than listening to your presentation. However, there are techniques and strategies that can help you control the crowd and keep their focus on you.

2. How can you control the crowd when you are a really shy, quiet person?

Being a shy and quiet person can make it even more challenging to control a crowd at an event. However, there are ways to overcome this and project confidence and authority while presenting. Some tips include practicing your presentation beforehand, using strong body language and voice projection, and engaging with the audience through questions and interactive activities.

3. I always feel like such a mean person when I am trying to get them to pay attention to me so that I can say what I am there to say.

It's important to remember that as a presenter, it is your responsibility to keep the audience engaged and focused on your presentation. You are not being mean, but rather ensuring that the audience gets the most out of the event and your presentation. It may feel uncomfortable at first, but with practice and confidence, you can effectively control the crowd without coming across as mean.

4. My order average for my show last night was very low, and I think that it is because I didn't show a lot of tools...and the ones I did talk about, no one was even listening.

This is a common issue for shy presenters, as it can be difficult to effectively showcase products or tools when the audience is not fully engaged. To combat this, try incorporating more interactive elements into your presentation, such as demonstrations or hands-on activities. This can help grab the audience's attention and keep them interested in what you have to say.

5. I am proud to say though, that for the first time I actually asked every customer there if they were interested in booking a show or any other information like the business opportunity...unfortunately, everyone said no or not now, but at least I gave it a try!

Congratulations on taking the initiative to ask for bookings and share information about the business opportunity with the audience. Even if everyone said no, it's important to continue trying and not get discouraged. You never know when someone may change their mind or refer you to someone else who is interested. Keep up the good work and don't be afraid to keep promoting your business during your presentations.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• SusanBP0129
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
Chef Endora
  • bbauman07
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
bbauman07
  • gilliandanielle