• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Looking for a Lighter Cream Filling for Profiterole Puffs?

In summary, the recipe calls for bourbon which has an alcohol taste. The cream in the recipe does not hold up well in warm air, and the pudding is a better option. The puffs can be frozen with the pudding, but they will not hold their shape.
PamperedPrincess74
:( :( I love the idea of this dessert, but I made them for a show this weekend and I didn't care for the cream. I was hoping for a less creamy and more airy filling. The cream in the recipe with the Madascar vanilla just has too much of an alcohol taste (I guess it's the bourbon). Does anyone have a lighter cream that they make for maybe a different recipe that could maybe be used in the puffs? I'm looking for something similar to what you'd find in maybe an Angel cream donut or cannoli or something.

Plus I found that the cream in the recipe did NOT hold up well in the warm air. They sat out for maybe a half hour (it wasn't THAT hot but it was warm) and the cream just kind of liquified. I was hoping to make these for my sister's wedding shower in June but it's outdoors so I'm not sure it'll work.

there is another thread where they was talking about using pudding instead and it didnt liquify as fast. try and search and read that its very helpful. i made these tues. night and it was in my house and they did liquify pretty quickly then too. i think the pudding is going to be the key. HTH

Oh also, I've been taking cake decorating classes at the local bakery. LOVE them! Next week I have to bake a 2 layer cake with a filling of my choice. I was thinking rather than putting a fruit filling that I would do a chocolate cake with a (mini)chocolate chip/cream filling. I'm thinking that the same kind of cream I'm thinking for the puffs would work (just add the chips). Does anyone have any suggestions? I know it's not PC related necessarily, but you guys always have such great ideas!

I've made these several times and I prefer to fill them with french vanilla instant pudding. They taste great and the pudding holds well (doesn't liquify as fast as the whipped cream)

Mike

This is the post you are looking for...

I fill with pudding also and love it!!

OK, I want to do these for a show on Sat. There is a 2+ hour drive, Can I freeze them with the pudding? I am not for sure, and don't know if anyone has done that. How long will they keep in the fridge with the pudding. If I wait and do them there, will they be ok.. And, can I do the shells, and maybe freeze them and not fill them until we get there? Not sure if this make sense or not. It is my sis in law's show, and we are going down tomorrow nite, and the show is a 3 on sat. Anyone have any ideas?

I did the puffs and the cream the night before. I covered the puffs with saran wrap and put the cream in the fridge. All I showed at the show was when I injected the cream and drizzled the chocolate. No one seemed overly impressed with them, but then I think it had alot to do with the cream. I'll try the pudding. Thanks!

PamperedPrincess74 said:
:( :( I love the idea of this dessert, but I made them for a show this weekend and I didn't care for the cream. I was hoping for a less creamy and more airy filling. The cream in the recipe with the Madascar vanilla just has too much of an alcohol taste (I guess it's the bourbon).

The "Bourbon" in the name is not referencing bourbon alcohol. It's referencing the Bourbon Islands in Madagascar where some of the best vanilla is harvested. If there was real alcohol in the vanilla, PC would have to put a warning on it and/or list it in the ingredients.

Does anyone know if we can freeze them with the pudding in them? Or just the cream filling it has listed? Will the empty shells freeze well? Or do they collapse? I hope someone can answer these. Thanks

The "Bourbon" in the name is not referencing bourbon alcohol. It's referencing the Bourbon Islands in Madagascar where some of the best vanilla is harvested. If there was real alcohol in the vanilla, PC would have to put a warning on it and/or list it in the ingredients.

HA! I had no idea! I still think it tasted funny but more like rum than whiskey which is what I think bourbon is, no? In any case, I just don't like that vanilla. Although for double strength it's not a bad price.

I have made the Profiterol Puffs many times and have not had any problems, but I noticed that when I made the puffs at home before the show, I could not get as much filling in them. So now I make the puffs at the Host's house before the show and keep them on the cooling rack until I'm ready for them. I have never noticed an eggy or bourbon taste and mine have never stuck. I use olive oil in kitchen spritzer and always wash by hand. I remove them out of the pan right away. I have never had them melt but they get eaten very quickly, everyone loves them!! When I made them at home, we didn't eat them all right away and I put them in the fridge, they were ok but they got a little heavy and moist not light and fluffly like when you first make them, but they were still good.:)

Frozen every time....And have had NO problems......just made them Sat. for Easter, filled them with vanilla pudding dyed pink and they where the RAVE....did them yesterday for last nights show w/pudding and froze them during the day (made them early in the a.m.) and they where fine......

Another thing I found by accident...LOL....I used frosting in a ziplock to squeeze over the tops and filled directly in the middle on top of the puff and with a thicker consistancy on the frosting, did a ribbon around the hole with the pink stuffing coming out, it was a riot....LOL....

These are the BEST thing to bring to family dinners, get togethers and I will make the for EVERY show as a bonus......:D

Thank you so much for your reply. I didn't know if I could freeze them with the pudding. I was worried about them maybe going bad or something. Thank you. I will try the pink food coloring, I was hoping to do something like that. Thank you!! You are a lifesavor. Do you think that they will be ok to make tonight and then freeze them until Sat?

I dont seewhy not. I put them in my Chillzane Rectangular and put them in the freezer and it takes about 20 min for them to defrost.

I usually make up extra for my hubby and son and put in the fridge and they last a day or two. ;O)

Enjoy.....

What is the purpose of "Cream for Profiterole Puffs"?

The cream is specifically designed for filling profiterole puffs, a type of French pastry. It adds a rich and creamy texture to the puffs.

What is the consistency of the cream?

The cream has a smooth and thick consistency, perfect for filling and piping into the delicate profiterole puffs.

What are the ingredients in the cream?

The cream is made with high-quality dairy ingredients such as cream, butter, and milk. It also contains sugar, vanilla extract, and other flavorings.

Can the cream be used for other desserts?

While it is specifically designed for profiterole puffs, the cream can also be used as a filling for other pastries and desserts such as eclairs and cream puffs.

How should the cream be stored?

The cream should be stored in the refrigerator and used within a week. If not using immediately, it can also be frozen for longer storage. Be sure to thaw it in the refrigerator before using.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• stephanieboyd
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
pcjeanie
  • pchef2006
  • Pampered Chef Recipes
Replies
Views
reesefamily5
  • chefshawna