• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Investigating the Unexpected Increase in Attendance at Host Parties

In summary, the trend seems to be that people are not responding to reminder calls or emails even when an RSVP is given.
ChefBeckyD
Gold Member
I'm trying to figure out the whys and reasons for this trend I'm seeing...so this will probably be a little rambling...

Almost every show I've had in November and December - there have been MORE people there than the host was planning on, or had RSVP's for. I always have my hosts make reminder calls, and usually, they will have people that never respond, and that they don't hear back from via email or voice message. Before, I've always counted those as "no's"...but I'm beginning to count them now as "yeses".

For instance: Last night was a Cookie Exchange. Now, you would think that with a party like that, you would get RSVP's - they are supposed to call in with the type of cookie they are making.
The Host had 12 RSVP's, and hadn't heard back from anyone else who was coming. She'd had several people say they couldn't make it though.
The day of the party, 2 of the 12 called to say they were sick...so now down to 10. At the party 16 people arrived with their cookies in hand. So that means 6 people didn't RSVP, but showed up anyway. (and it couldn't have been a last minute decision, because they had to bake cookies!)

Last week - a party where she was expecting 12-15 at the most....20 people showed up...closed the party @ $1445.
Another party - expecting 6-7, but had 12! (this is a yearly host who is always happy with a $300 show. She's never had over $400, and will be closing her show today @ over $500!)

The ONLY thing I'm doing differently is that I am having the hosts tell people about the party as soon as we book it...by email, facebook, in person, etc...and then I am sending the invites out 1 week before the party (instead of further out). That's it. I'm trying to figure out if that is the reason for this trend, or if there are other factors contributing to it.

So - are others seeing this change too?

I can't comment on the trend because I'm just starting to pick it up again after several months of down time (although the attendence at the 3 shows I've done was great!), but I want to say that's AWESOME! Way to go! I hope that the trend continues for me as I pick up my business!

urbnk8 said:
I can't comment on the trend because I'm just starting to pick it up again after several months of down time (although the attendence at the 3 shows I've done was great!), but I want to say that's AWESOME! Way to go! I hope that the trend continues for me as I pick up my business!
LOL - Thanks! I hope the trend continues too! That's why I'm trying to figure out what's causing it...:D

ChefBeckyD said:
LOL - Thanks! I hope the trend continues too! That's why I'm trying to figure out what's causing it...:D

It would be nice to know! I'm gonna start doing what you're doing, in case that's it! Hopefully, you can figure it out so we can all benefit! ;) lol

Hmmm. I have just the opposite. I am told that X amount of people said yes then half show up, even when I coach the host to do reminder calls. Last Saturday, the host said she'd have between 10-15 people. One friend called to say she was bringing 5 people, one of whom "loves Pampered Chef." That night when I got to her house, I heard the list of who's sick, who can't make it, who's starting a new job in two days and just wants to "rest", etc. The girl with the 5 guests didn't show. I had 2 guests. Fortunately, the host had $163 in outside sales. Granted, the weather was nasty (a Nor'easter), but it's nights like that which make me wonder what I'm doing in this business.

Guests not RSVPing are my most common complaint from my hosts. It is a very sad trend to say the least. I encourage my hosts to make reminder calls and even then, the guests do not RSVP. Many times, I have had hosts think about cancelling because of low RSVPs but I encourage them to keep the date "just in case" and you would not believe the house full she gets. You would think in this day and age of electronic devices (e-invites, facebook, text messages, answering machines, etc) guests would have just 30 seconds to let a host know she/he was attending.

I had a show a few weeks ago. My friend/Host was annoyed because very few people rsvp'd. I could host coach her until I am blue in the face, and she will neve get it. She was to "hurt" to call them and ask if they were coming.
She told me 6 guests. Most of the time you have someone at the last minute that can't come, and usually have someone bring a friend. So I usually figure give or take. There were a total of 14 guests. She was so surprised when the door bell kept ringing.
I am finding while most don't want to host there own cooking show, they are more than happy to attend one. While I have to work harder at booking shows, I find once they commit they do not cancel and are large shows $$.
But I agree, I am trying to figure out the mindset of everyone too. I

I've seen something similar, though not necessarily to the extent you have. It seemed to start for me when I did the same thing, Becky--have my host make sure to tell everyone via whatever means they usually talk with their friends and remind them often.

raebates said:
I've seen something similar, though not necessarily to the extent you have. It seemed to start for me when I did the same thing, Becky--have my host make sure to tell everyone via whatever means they usually talk with their friends and remind them often.

When do you send your invites out, Rae? Or do the hosts do it?

I let the hosts do that, but I do offer to do it for them. I've started including a card with the pack of invitations that says:It's not about the postcards!
It's okay if you never send out a single postcard.
Just be sure you tell everyone you know.
Call them. Email them.
Send them a message on Facebook or MySpace.
Invite people right up to the day of your party. I find that they younger my host, the more likely they will use some other method of invitation. People my age are used to using and receiving mailed invitations. People my son's age are not.

I never ask for a number. A party for 2 or 20 is all the same for me. I do the demo. I always coach my hosts/hostesses on invites but never have any of mine asked for postcards or any type of mailed invitations. The call or email their guests. Works well for my right now (knock on wood).

I ask for a number just so I can make sure I have plenty of guest kits. My standard stash is 15, which works for most of my hosts, but I've needed as many as 38.

So it is OK for a host to post on Facebook @ PC? I had a host post a link to my website when she hosted and it really helped sales. Then I read on here that we aren't supposed to do that so I wasn't sure if she had done something wrong.

I was just reading about that today on Consultant's Corner. If you have a host that posts a link to your website, you are in violation of the policy. I think that stinks, but that's what PC says.

And that would include someone not affiliated with the company? Can they mention PC?

j&k'smom said:
So it is OK for a host to post on Facebook @ PC? I had a host post a link to my website when she hosted and it really helped sales. Then I read on here that we aren't supposed to do that so I wasn't sure if she had done something wrong.

I tell my hosts not to post a link - just to do an invitation to an event. They can say to contact for website info, and they can also post my email address if they would like to.

Almost ALL of my hosts have been doing facebook invites. These seem to be working MUCH better than the website invites.

OK. I really don't want to do anything I shouldn't!!

j&k'smom said:
OK. I really don't want to do anything I shouldn't!!

You are just fine, as long as they aren't posting a link to your website! :thumbup:

I'm really wondering if facebook is part of the trend I'm seeing in higher show attendance and more outside orders?

I do what Becky does.

1. What could be causing the unexpected increase in attendance at host parties?

There could be a variety of factors contributing to the increase in attendance at host parties. Some possible reasons include word-of-mouth recommendations from satisfied guests, effective marketing strategies, or a popular host offering a desirable incentive.

2. How can we investigate this increase in attendance?

To investigate the unexpected increase in attendance at host parties, we can start by analyzing data from previous parties and comparing it to the current trend. This can include tracking the number of RSVPs, sales data, and feedback from guests. We can also conduct surveys or interviews with both the host and attendees to gather more information.

3. Is this increase in attendance sustainable?

It's difficult to determine if the increase in attendance is sustainable without further investigation. However, if we continue to monitor and analyze data from future parties, we can identify any patterns or trends that may indicate whether the increase is likely to continue or not.

4. How can we use this information to improve our host parties?

By investigating the unexpected increase in attendance, we can gain insights into what aspects of our host parties are most appealing to guests. We can use this information to identify areas for improvement and make adjustments to create an even more enjoyable and successful event for both the host and attendees.

5. Can we replicate this increase in attendance for future host parties?

There is no guarantee that we can replicate the unexpected increase in attendance for future host parties. However, by analyzing the data and feedback from current parties, we can identify successful strategies and implement them in future events. Additionally, we can continue to monitor and adapt to changes in the market and guest preferences to increase the likelihood of a successful turnout.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• Chozengirl
  • Pampered Chef Sales
Replies
Views
rlombas
  • reesefamily5
  • Pampered Chef Sales
Replies
Views
mrssyvo
  • AshleyAllison