• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Venting Frustration: Friend "Sally" and Her Jewelry Shows

In summary, this person was dealing with someone who was very tactless and pushy about their business.
pampcheflisa
Gold Member
I really try hard not to vent about shows on here. But, this has been building up and I needed to let it out, so I can bless and release....thanks!!

Bear with me here....one of my best friends, I'll call her Jane, has this friend 'Sally'. I've known 'Sally' through my friend for about 10 years or so now. Not really sure if I'd consider Sally a friend, but definitely more than an acquaintance.
So, three weeks ago I had my third show with Sally. Every single time, there has been some issue. I don't even ask her to host (because I know there will inevitably be an issue), but she continues to book and I can't really tell her no.
So, at Sally's show, she actually had a great turnout and a really good show. 5 bookings from the show!! Well, Sally has started selling jewelery and I could tell her at her PC show that she was irritated that people were booking PC shows - I kept hearing her say "well, you have to have a show with me too", over and over again.
Fast forward to today (side note: Sally's show just got resolved today), I had a show today that was a booking from Sally's show. I didn't realize that this lady was related to Sally, so Sally shows up. No big deal, show goes okay. So, I'm starting to take orders and Sally pulls out her calendar and starts being really pushy with everyone to book jewelry shows. I did get one booking for PC, but everyone was like....."well, I just said I'd have a jewelery party". Then, Sally turns to me and says "I've done three shows for you already, so when do you want to do YOUR jewelery party?".
WWWWHHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAATTTTTTTTT?????
I'm still kind of in shock this happened, and really irritated.

Thank you for letting me get this off my chest. I will do my best to let it go!!

Last edited:
i have been encountering allot of this kind of thing. they buy form me and they want me to buy form them......their kids fundraiser, avon, jewelry, mary kay...which i told the lady i appreciate it but i get my mary kay for free from my mom as a tax write off....she didnt care....whatever....how can we make money if everytime we turn around they are turning it aound on us....irritated too.....thanks 4 letting me vent as well

When people want to trade shows with me, I tell them I only do shows every 6 months and I like for it to be something different each time. So, I had a jewelry party last fall, a partylite show this past spring and I'm going to have a tupperware party in Nov (still a little iffy on that since they are SO similar to us anymore, but I really need new flour/sugar containers! LOL!) Since my line of work is having shows on my free nights away from the family, I like to be making the money at them - not throwing them.

Too bad about the friend of a friend thing. That is always tricky. Hopefully she will learn some good Direct Sales etiquette soon.

Wow that is really ride of her to pull out her calendar at your show. I would do the show if you want to otherwise, tell her that you cant.

That is very rude that she was booking jewelry shows at your show. She obviously has no tact and is being very pushy about her own business, instead of supporting others (and by being supportive, making people want to support her). She's going about it ALL the wrong way. Just keep your head up and definitely "bless and release" this one. She probably won't do well in her business if she continues to have that attitude, unfortunately. :(

I think it's rude of her to assume that you will host for her since she hosted for you. If that was her intention, she should have voiced that in advance.And it's very inappropriate for her to market & book shows for her business while attending one of your parties. That one just blows my mind that someone thinks it would be okay to do that.

Perhaps you could explain to her that once you've been in this business awhile it becomes hard to reciprocate because so many customers are in ds. It becomes difficult to say yes to one and not another. Turn it to explain that many of her customers will want her to book shows from them. By establishing a no booking policy, you stay neutral for all customers.

Tactless people are the worst to deal with. Since their morals seem to be at a lower standard, you just have to ignore and 'bless and release'. I'm getting good at that here.
wow, am I getting better and bless and release.

Unfortunately, this fits right into that pushy DS stereotype. Ugh! I'm so sorry you went through this. The good news is that chances are good she won't last long in the business. People don't like pushy.As for people who ask me to buy from them, I'm just honest. We buy GS cookies, BS popcorn, and school fundraiser stuff from the first one to ask. I wear very limited jewelry, and am currently very happy with my makeup. I rarely host shows, and I never trade shows. It's my policy because I'd do nothing but work, attend, or host shows every night. Of course, I make these points gently and courteously. If people get upset, that's their issue to deal with.

Just let her know you appreciate it, and that you hope she is happy with all the free goodies she earned by hosting those PC shows. Let her know you have limited free nights available, and that you'd prefer to use those slots for worknights because you need the money. She doesn't know your financial status and should understand goal setting and payday. = )

Thanks so much for the support everyone!!!
I know for a fact she will not do well with her business, as tacky as that is to say.
A few years ago, she was a "kit-napper" with PC. She had no intentions of following through with it. Luckily, it was before I was a consultant, so at least she didn't do it to me.
Also, my best friend mentioned earlier "Jane", this girl has already affected their friendship with her new jewelry business. My friend is one of those people who is very on top of things. She loves PC and when I do her yearly show, I don't have to host coach at all, b/c she is so on top of things and routinely has anywhere from $700-900 shows. She graciously told "Sally" she'd do a show to help her out (even though she doesn't wear much jewelry OR care for this company at all). I guess this particular DS company encourages their consultants to do the invites, my friend wanted to do them herself, but Sally would not let her. My friend gave her the addresses 3 weeks in advance, and Sally mailed them 4 days before the show. My friend was livid and cancelled the party b/c I was the only one that was going to be there.
So, long story short, I don't think Sally really "gets it" at all.
I am over it today. I know this girl well enough to know how she is.
I just have to figure out what to do about the reciprocated show thing.
Oh, and another thing.....she invited herself to participate in my annual Holiday Open House (one that she has not attended - but has been invited to - for the last three years)!!

pampcheflisa said:
I just have to figure out what to do about the reciprocated show thing.
Oh, and another thing.....she invited herself to participate in my annual Holiday Open House (one that she has not attended - but has been invited to - for the last three years)!!

You need to tell her "No" to the show, and "NO!" to the holiday open house - that is absurd that she would even THINK to invite herself to participate and basically steal your guests' orders from you!!

If you feel you have to have a show with her, tell her you'll do a catalog show b/c you don't have a free night, and leave it at that (and then do the minimum to make it a show)!! GL - she's quite the pill!

I just tell EVERYONE who does other DS businesses that because I have so many friends that do that to avoid "hurt feelings", I just make it a policy NOT to do shows for anyone! My DD does Close to my Heart and I don't even do shows for her! I have tried to emphasize that with my own Recruit as well. She went ahead against my advice and did an Arbonne Show. After only having $99 in orders BUT letting the lady talk her into "signing up for the discount card", the lady said she couldn't work a PC show into her schedule! WHAT??? I told her that the lady proved my point... 99% of the people who want to trade shows never do it!As far as this lady is concerned, I would be very direct with her. Sounds like tactful won't be understood! What do you have to lose?

It was very rude of her to try to get bookings and orders at your show...your host should have told her she was hurting her host benefits. That is what gives DS people a bad name. Working her business that way will cause her to go out of business quickly. Hopefully she will learn quickly how to be more tactful. As for booking a show from her...that is going to have to be whatever you feel comfortable with. Personally, I try to have a show for any of my customers who start their own business...they helped me out when I started. It is usually a catalog show because I am so busy. If I really like the company and their products I will work around my schedule to host a show in my home.

wow, what a piece of work.
I've done tupperware parties and tried to a jewelry party and none of them have been as successful as when I have done PC parties(before I became a consultant)

1. What can I do if I feel pressured to attend "Sally's" jewelry shows?

It's important to communicate your feelings to "Sally" and let her know that you support her business, but attending every show may not be feasible for you. Suggest alternative ways to support her, such as purchasing items online or sharing her business on social media. Be honest and respectful in your communication.

2. How can I politely decline purchasing jewelry at "Sally's" shows?

Thank "Sally" for the invitation and let her know that you appreciate her business, but you are not interested in purchasing jewelry at the moment. You can also suggest other ways to support her, such as hosting a show or referring friends who may be interested.

3. What should I do if "Sally" constantly talks about her jewelry shows and products?

It's important to be honest with "Sally" and let her know if her constant talking about her business is making you uncomfortable. Suggest setting boundaries and finding a balance between talking about her business and other topics. You can also offer to listen and support her in other ways.

4. How can I address "Sally" if she is pressuring me to join her team?

If you are not interested in joining "Sally's" team, politely decline and explain your reasons. Let her know that you support her business, but joining her team may not be the right fit for you. It's important to communicate your boundaries and respect each other's decisions.

5. What should I do if I attend "Sally's" show and don't enjoy the experience?

If you attend "Sally's" show and do not enjoy it, it's important to provide honest feedback. This can help "Sally" improve her future shows. You can also suggest ways to make the experience more enjoyable for you, such as incorporating games or activities. Remember to be respectful and constructive in your feedback.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• Intrepid_Chef
  • Pampered Chef Shows
Replies
Views
Intrepid_Chef
  • pampered.chris
  • Pampered Chef Shows
Replies
Views
pampered.chris
  • elizabethfox