• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Unexpected Purchases and Complaints: My First Show Story

In summary, the conversation involved a consultant discussing a difficult customer who purchased a classic batter bowl and later asked for a refund due to finding a cheaper alternative. The consultant was frustrated with the customer's behavior, including bragging about expensive kitchen items and trying to combine orders to save money. The suggestion was made to give the customer the 888 Our Chef number to process the return herself.
chefgailliard
I went to a show where there were only 2 people.:eek: It was one of my first shows and the host was a good friend, so I did it, even if it was just for the practice. I did get a booking from the show so it wasn't a total waste. However, the guest that did not book a show only purchased the classic batter bowl, and complained about that purchase. During checkout she went through haw she had all of the Wolfgang Puck pans, and this and that. In essence, she really didn't need anything. In my mind, i was like why are you here?

Be that as it may, she called me today and asked for a refund on her batter bowl because she found a similar anchor bowl for $7. Are you kidding me? If you have Wolfgang Puck, you can afford $14.50. Plus, it was clear that she didn't want to buy anything and my feelings would not have been hurt if she didn't purchase. You know, PC isn't cheap stuff which is why I love it. If a person can't afford it, ok...I'm cool. But don't brag to me about all of the expensive stuff you have and then gripe over $14.50.

I am all for honesty. Bottom line, she didn't want to spend and if you're honest about it, I can work with that. Ugh! So frustrated!:mad:

She sounds like a real charmer.
Sorry you had to deal with her.

Thank God we don't get too many of those! At least, I hope not!!! I totally agree with you. If she didn't want to buy anything, then why did she go through all that trouble!

Ugh...some people's kids!! :yuck: :grumpy:

That's crazy to me that she went through all the trouble to save a couple of dollars!!!!!

I had a show the other day where people were combining orders to save money. They, of course, tried to combine their orders on a past host's order form. I heard them talking about what they were going to order and about combining. I spoke right up and told them I couldn't let them combine their orders on the past host's order because of her discount. They had to know. They aren't new to PC shows! The nerve of some people.

Be that as it may, she called me today and asked for a refund on her batter bowl because she found a similar anchor bowl for $7. Are you kidding me? If you have Wolfgang Puck, you can afford $14.50.

Give her the refund, and call her in 18 months.

I have all sizes of Pyrex measuring cups, including the 2 and 4 quart sizes. I like them for measuring, but not for mixing. The flat bottom is not good for mixing. The shape of our batter bowls works better for mixing. I don't really talk about the batter bowls very often, just a quick mention of how they are microwave, oven, frig and freezer safe and how I make brownies in them. Usually someone brings them up as a favorite item if I spend time letting people share.

Your customer has $ issues, if she is bragging to everyone about her expensive stuff at home. You can shut her up in a hurry if you say - "With your expertise at cooking equipment, you should consider our earning opportunity!" If you talk with me some more, I'll be sure to share recruiting information with you.then again - she could recruit!!!God Bless!-praying for Paige and her family-

I wouldn't necessarily assume she spent full price on her Wolfgang Puck. A lot of his S/S pans ended up at Marshall's.

legacypc46 said:
I wouldn't necessarily assume she spent full price on her Wolfgang Puck. A lot of his S/S pans ended up at Marshall's.

Or she got them at a Garage Sale!:rolleyes:

I don't necessarily think Wolfgang pans are all that expensive. I know my mom has the whole stainless steel set, the big one, and she only paid around 140 for it, and that was at JC Penny or a similar store, she didn't buy it on discount. Just my pennies *shrug*

There's a $7 Anchor batter bowl imposter at Aldi right now. Bet that's where she got it.

Help her do the return or give her the 888 Our Chef # to do it herself.

DebbieJ said:
There's a $7 Anchor batter bowl imposter at Aldi right now. Bet that's where she got it.

Help her do the return or give her the 888 Our Chef # to do it herself.

YES! Point out to her the sentence on the back of her receipt that states consultants are not authorized to do returns, and give her the 888 #!

it will be ok....i am sorry to hear you had a guest from hell. well she might have just been trying to do her friend a favor and be at the show and felt like she had to buy something. i had a guest at one of my shows who was loud and would interrupt my presentation by blurting things out and just being a nuisance. some people are just like that. you just brush it off, has nothin to do with you and keep going. dont let it frustrate you.:chef:

I have a funny story. I had a guest that hadn't put her phone # on the order form. I ask for it. She said she didn't want to give it to me. I told her that I like to check with all my clients to make sure their products are working for them. She said she didn't need that. She booked a show though. How am I suppose to get a hold of her? LOL. It is the host's sister so I can have her get a hold of her. LOL- she's not wanting a show until after Feb. because she's starting up her own business. She has a degree in psychology. She's starting an on-phone call in help line. But I can't have her number? Go figure.

lockhartkitchen said:
I have a funny story. I had a guest that hadn't put her phone # on the order form. I ask for it. She said she didn't want to give it to me. I told her that I like to check with all my clients to make sure their products are working for them. She said she didn't need that. She booked a show though. How am I suppose to get a hold of her? LOL. It is the host's sister so I can have her get a hold of her. LOL- she's not wanting a show until after Feb. because she's starting up her own business. She has a degree in psychology. She's starting an on-phone call in help line. But I can't have her number? Go figure.

Sounds like she needs to be seeing a psychologist - LOL

I haven't even been doing this for two months and I have had my share of crazy customer/hosts. I am still dealing with one from the end of October. She is a whackjob. Compulsive liar, oh my goodness I could go on and on. The bottom line is that I thought I was done with this nut and she sends me a text message this morning telling me I messed up the order. I honestly don't think I did. She has already cost me way more than she has been worth in every way. I am not really looking for advise I just wanted to vent a little and see if anyone else had a nut for a host? Thanks

Yup, we've all had 'em. If you haven't had one yet, you're due.

cmrunkle115 said:
I haven't even been doing this for two months and I have had my share of crazy customer/hosts. I am still dealing with one from the end of October. She is a whackjob. Compulsive liar, oh my goodness I could go on and on. The bottom line is that I thought I was done with this nut and she sends me a text message this morning telling me I messed up the order. I honestly don't think I did. She has already cost me way more than she has been worth in every way. I am not really looking for advise I just wanted to vent a little and see if anyone else had a nut for a host? Thanks
Welcome to the club. :)

If she says there's a problem with the order and you don't want to deal with it, you can give her the number to the Solution Center and let her call them herself. Sometimes the thought of dealing with someone 'official' is enough to straighten out the whackjobs.

I had a guest at a show (which turned out to be a nightmare that made me consider quitting for a while, but that's another story!) bring her griddle to have me replace it. I was nice (stupid?) and called HO for her cause she said "she didn't want to talk to nobody" and it turned out to be a Gen II - no lifetime guarantee that she SWORE she had. I offered to give her a deal on a new one (cause I wanted the pan-o-rama points) and after all the trouble I went to she didn't even order it! ERRRR!
What is it with the oddballs lately? Are the holiday's bringing them out of the wood work? Is there something in the water... I seem to have had more of them than the normal guests/hosts lately. It's really frustrating.

Oh look! I've broken 100 posts!:cool: Only 11,749 left to go to tie with Ann:love: ;) Sorry to hijack... back to frustrating hosts/guests

Don't evendeal with her at all. Simply leave a message or tell her directly about the number for the Home Office. You did give her the warranty right? It states, as said above, that consultants are not to deal with returns. We all know that is false but what the heck, it gets her away from you.
And yes WACK jobs are a dime a dozen! I have been in this for 7 years now. My favorite is the lady that booked a show from my mom's. Then had her $900 + show. It took me two and a half months to submit that show because she sent me the check over a dozen times but I never got it. Then after all that, one of the CC was declined and because I goofed and did not have the guests phone number I had to call the host. I simply told her that her friend Dori's Credit Card had an issue. I think I wrote down the number incorrectly. Well, shortly there after I heard from my mom that Gina spread it around work that Dori's Credit was no good and that she was having finacial troubles and all that crap. Dori ended up quitting her job because it got so bad that there was no way to go back and fix the lies Gina was telling!
Then she bragged and bragged about how great I was as a consultant yet every one of the bookings, and there were three, refused to have their parties with me. It turned out that after I badgered Gina about the payments, she told everyone I stole the money and no one was getting their stuff. But here is where her lies bit her in the butt! I had called everyone I had phone numbers for about a week and a half after the first check supposedly was delivered to me and told them the situation. The ones that did know, got on Gina after I called them 4 weeks after the party again an told them what was happening. I finnally got the money and sent in the party. I even had enough sense to call the Home Office in case they got wind of it.
Some people are just a major trip!

Last edited:
I am SOOOO glad to know I'm not the only one with insane hosts and guests! My 100 days with the company have been enough to make lesser people want to throw in the towel.

Has anyone had a host steal a show right from under you, and give it to another consultant the morning of the day you were supposed to do the show? Yep- I actually had a host do that to me.

pampered1224 said:
You did give her the warranty right? It states, as said above, that consultants are not to deal with returns.
The warranty information does not state this anymore. You can still make it your policy not to do them, but just don't make the mistake of telling the guest that it says that.:)

Kitchen Diva said:
I am SOOOO glad to know I'm not the only one with insane hosts and guests! My 100 days with the company have been enough to make lesser people want to throw in the towel.

Has anyone had a host steal a show right from under you, and give it to another consultant the morning of the day you were supposed to do the show? Yep- I actually had a host do that to me.

I would be WAY more upset with a consultant who would take a show under those circumstances than I would be with the host....the host could be ignorant of what it really means to do that - but the consultant should definitely know better - that to me is unethical!!!:grumpy:

Dang it...I haven't read the back for a while so I just thought it was still there. That is a pain as then it makes it look like we are responsible. BOO! There may be no way out except to buy the bowl back from her and get it over with. Give as a drawing gift at a show or use it yourself.
I do have a question on the stealing thing. Is it stealing if you didn't know about the show by another consultant. I have a host who has done several shows with me. She attended the show of a friend who did not use me as the consultant and my host, booked. UGH! Anyway, she called me about a week and a half prior to the show date she wanted. I had no clue as to why. She told me that it was the day she could get people together and that she would contact everyone about the date and time and I did not need to worry about invites. I have worked with this lady enough to know, don't argue. She is great and usually has everything so under control it hurts. So I didn't question anything about this. I did wonder why she didn't need outside order forms or catalogs though. I left a couple of messages but never got a call back until three days before the show. She had it covered. She had a catlog from someone else and had passed that around. Everyone just wrote out their orders on paper as she knew I would gladly do the math on them.
Now, the day of the party, I got there, got set up and then started the party. It was not until after the demo was done that I found out about the switcharoo. One of the guest simply walked up to me and mentioned that I was so much more fun than the other lady who was supposed to do the show. I almost died! I had no clue. Now, is this wrong? Or what? I have also had people who booked with other consultants but never quite got things started who attended shows of mine and changed their minds so...
With no date set with the other consultant, is this fair?

ChefBeckyD said:
I would be WAY more upset with a consultant who would take a show under those circumstances than I would be with the host....the host could be ignorant of what it really means to do that - but the consultant should definitely know better - that to me is unethical!!!:grumpy:
I guess it's too late now, but you should have called HO about that one.

pampered1224 said:
I haven't read the back for a while so I just thought it was still there. That is a pain as then it makes it look like we are responsible. BOO! There may be no way out except to buy the bowl back from her and get it over with. Give as a drawing gift at a show or use it yourself.
I do have a question on the stealing thing. Is it stealing if you didn't know about the show by another consultant. I have a host who has done several shows with me. She attended the show of a friend who did not use me as the consultant and my host, booked. UGH! Anyway, she called me about a week and a half prior to the show date she wanted. I had no clue as to why. She told me that it was the day she could get people together and that she would contact everyone about the date and time and I did not need to worry about invites. I have worked with this lady enough to know, don't argue. She is great and usually has everything so under control it hurts. So I didn't question anything about this. I did wonder why she didn't need outside order forms or catalogs though. I left a couple of messages but never got a call back until three days before the show. She had it covered. She had a catlog from someone else and had passed that around. Everyone just wrote out their orders on paper as she knew I would gladly do the math on them.
Now, the day of the party, I got there, got set up and then started the party. It was not until after the demo was done that I found out about the switcharoo. One of the guest simply walked up to me and mentioned that I was so much more fun than the other lady who was supposed to do the show. I almost died! I had no clue. Now, is this wrong? Or what? I have also had people who booked with other consultants but never quite got things started who attended shows of mine and changed their minds so...
John, You were completely innocent on this one.

pampered1224 said:
I haven't read the back for a while so I just thought it was still there. That is a pain as then it makes it look like we are responsible. BOO! There may be no way out except to buy the bowl back from her and get it over with. Give as a drawing gift at a show or use it yourself.

I see what you are saying John - and I agree that a consultant wouldn't always know what is going on with the host...but in Kitchen Diva's instance, it was the day of the show - and it seems to me that the consultant must have had some idea.

ChefBeckyD said:
I see what you are saying John - and I agree that a consultant wouldn't always know what is going on with the host...but in Kitchen Diva's instance, it was the day of the show - and it seems to me that the consultant must have had some idea.
That's my conclusion too.

John,
I think what the others said is right, you didn't know so no one can honestly say you are wrong. The fact that you felt bad about it when you found out says you have ethics!I had a friend who quit Pampered Chef (this was several years ago) because there were people in her area who would find out when shows were scheduled & move in & convince the hosts to switch to them ---on the same date she had scheduled. It seems that there was a director who was training her team to go around & steal shows!!!! I'm not sure if she ever talked to Home Office about this or not. This all happened before I met her. If I had heard about this type of stuff going on I don't know if I would have signed up or not!!

Back to about the refund on the batter bowl, I would *never* just reimburse a customer who wanted a refund, and take the hit myself. No matter if she ordered it a week ago or 11 months ago, I would just call HO for her, and have her send it back with the receipt and the reference number, the way she's supposed to. HO will give her a refund in whatever method she used as payment. Plus, when it's only one item, they don't do commission adjustments on it... (if it's her whole order I'm not sure what happens, but I think as long as it's not the whole show being returned there's not a commission adjustment.) If it's within the first 30 days of shipping (which it sounds like it might be), HO will even send FedEx out to pick it up free of charge. No big deal...

=) Jen

This host just sent me another message and wanted me to get back to her asap. Now for a little bit of history on her. We were supposed to close on Oct. 29, I met with her (finally after waiting around for hours). She shows me a couple of orders - one is a credit card order, the others are all on one sheet. Then she tells me that she has a ton of more orders but they can't pay until the 13th, blah blah blah. I suggested she close the ones she had and do another one for the 14th. I was desperately trying to qualify at that time. Then referred to the orders on one sheet and she said "you know I am gonna have to pay with a post dated check right?" I explained that I couldnt cover $110, and told her we could just wait to close the whole thing on the 14th. I called her on the 11th and she said she was going to be ready to close on the 14th. We set a time for me to be there. That day came, I called and left a voicemail reminding her when I was going to be there and that if there was a problem to just please let me know. No reply so at the designated time I went to her house. No one home. I called and got voicemail, told her I would be there soon (already was there though). I called several more times and rode around for an hour still no reply. I finally went home. I decided to just give up. Ten days later, the day before thanksgiving, she calls and leaves me a voicemail. She said she was sorry she didn't get back to me, she had my address and was going to send me the order. She did not have my address. I called her back immediately and got ---VOICEMAIL. I told her explicitly not to mail to me. I made her think I wanted her to be sure she got the free products she wanted and deserved. I just didn't want her to say she mailed the stuff and she didn't. (She pulled that with the host of the party she booked off of with a payment check). Finally, after texting her and receiving texts back we were going to close that night. She was going to call when she got home. Big surprise, no call. I waited until the friday after thanksgiving and texted her asking if she wanted to close sometime soon. No response. I called my recruiter and director and decided to be done with this nut. Then she called. Out of the blue, finally. Went there to close and she had the same two sheets she had the first time I was there. I put the order in and the credit card was declined. So I called her immediately, explained the problem and giving her options. Due to her never being timely on returning calls or emails, I ended up cancelling the show (since it was only $150 with the cc order) and placing an individual order. Eating the extra shipping. So then when she finally got back to me she wanted to cancel other parts of the order since blah blah blah. I told her it would be here tomorrow. I delivered and she gave me cash for the credit card order. And then she texted me the next day to tell me that I ordered two of the wrong thing. I am sure I didn't. So now I have another individual order, to eat shipping on and the cost of the additional item. Then --sorry it took so long to get to this-- today she emails me to say that she sent me a text message (she didn't) about the additional items and would I get back with her ASAP. WHAT, ASAP? This from someone who thinks two weeks later is a timely call back. I gotta tell you it was hard to even try to be nice to her in the email. It is good that I wasn't talking to her on the phone. It would have been hard to hide my disdain. Sorry this was so long winded. But it will honestly be all I can do to keep from throwing this stuff in her face when I get it. I had her order sent to me because she would say it was stolen off of her porch or something crazy. She is truly a nut. She has honestly made me want to hang up my apron.

1. Can I get a refund for my purchase at a Pampered Chef show?

Yes, you can request a refund for a Pampered Chef purchase. However, please keep in mind that all refunds are subject to the company's return policy and may require proof of purchase.

2. What if I found a similar product for a lower price after making a purchase at a Pampered Chef show?

Pampered Chef does not offer price matching, so if you find a similar product for a lower price after making a purchase, you would not be eligible for a refund. We strive to offer high-quality, unique products at fair prices.

3. Can I return a product if I simply changed my mind or no longer want it?

Unfortunately, Pampered Chef does not accept returns for products that have been used or are no longer wanted. We suggest discussing potential purchases with a consultant or trying products at a show before making a purchase.

4. What if I can't afford Pampered Chef products?

We understand that not everyone may be able to afford Pampered Chef products, and that's okay. Our product line offers a variety of price points to fit different budgets. Additionally, we often have special offers and promotions that make our products more affordable.

5. How should I handle unexpected complaints or requests for refunds at a Pampered Chef show?

If you experience a complaint or request for a refund at a Pampered Chef show, it's important to remain professional and understanding. You can offer to follow up with the customer and address their concerns, and also remind them of the company's return policy. Ultimately, it's up to the customer to decide if they want to make a purchase, and it's important to respect their decision.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• nikked
  • Business, Marketing and Customer Service
Replies
Views
Admin Greg
  • wadesgirl
  • Business, Marketing and Customer Service
Replies
Views
wadesgirl
  • babywings76