• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Craziest Thing to Happen in a Show

In summary, there are always surprises at cooking shows. Some people have stories of things going wrong, while others have stories of something going right.
mandy412
So I have my first cooking show on the 10th and if I've learned anything in sales it's that there is always something unexpected that happens. So does anyone have any fun or interesting stories of things that have gone wrong during shows?

my dir, when I signed, did ice in the 8" saute pan, she thought she dumped the ice water out, well she left some in the pan, and when she flipped it up to show everyone the bottom of the pan, she dumped what water was in the pan down her shirt.
Also at a training show with her, she did a cake in the fluted pan, the hostess said her microwave was powerful.. It sure was, within 8 min. the cake was baked and hard as a brick...
I had a cake explode in the rice cooker, covered the entire inside of the microwave..

colegrovet said:
my dir, when I signed, did ice in the 8" saute pan, she thought she dumped the ice water out, well she left some in the pan, and when she flipped it up to show everyone the bottom of the pan, she dumped what water was in the pan down her shirt.
Also at a training show with her, she did a cake in the fluted pan, the hostess said her microwave was powerful.. It sure was, within 8 min. the cake was baked and hard as a brick...
I had a cake explode in the rice cooker, covered the entire inside of the microwave..

I'm laughing so hard thinking about having a cake explode!

I took the protective cover off the pizza cutter the wrong way. At least I proved that, yes, in fact, the pizza cutter is VERY sharp!

Oh...and I almost always drop something or knock something off the counter. I just tell people (besides the "Pampered chef, not perfect chef") that I'm just demonstrating that the products do obey the laws of gravity.

AmyDare said:
Oh...and I almost always drop something or knock something off the counter. I just tell people (besides the "Pampered chef, not perfect chef") that I'm just demonstrating that the products do obey the laws of gravity.

I have to remember to say "this is why they don't let me sell crystal."

I almost fainted before a show and had to ask the host if I could lie down!

I forgot to bring my trifle bowl, and that is what I was making--a trifle. The host did not have one and I was too far from home to go back. I instead used a bowl and first had all the guests turn to Page XX and see the wonderful trifle bowl--now imagine this bowl I am using is the trifle--and went on to explain why the trifle bowl was sooo much better.

i've never had anything REALLY crazy happen at a show, but I have dropped or spilled something at every show so far (I've done 11). I just always warn my guests that I'm clumsy and that they are more than welcome to laugh if I drop something or knock something over! I always get a laugh when I mention that our products are great for even clumsy people like me :)

Yes, I've done a lot of things -- forgotten products, spilled stuff, dropped items -- but I just say "If I can do this, anybody can"

My upline director, once called a red pepper, a red "pecker" in a room full of women and men!! :) LOL .......We still laugh like crazy about that one! She said she went into the kitchen right after she said it and wouldn't come back out! Eventually she did and finished the show! :)

I was making the creamsicle drink in Fam quick stir pitcher

easy...You add 2L orange soda & scoop softened vanilla ice cream, then plunge.

WELL for what ever made me do it I took ALL my might to squash down the ice cream in the soda...IT shot out of the spout about 10 FEET!!!! I still chuckle when I think of it :rolleyes:

Thank goodness for 2 things.... NO one was in my splash zone and we were NOT on carpet!

nancycookspc said:
I was making the creamsicle drink in Fam quick stir pitcher

easy...You add 2L orange soda & scoop softened vanilla ice cream, then plunge.

WELL for what ever made me do it I took ALL my might to squash down the ice cream in the soda...IT shot out of the spout about 10 FEET!!!! I still chuckle when I think of it :rolleyes:

Thank goodness for 2 things.... NO one was in my splash zone and we were NOT on carpet!

bet that was a kodak moment.. especially the look on your face!! :)

Another Consultant in our Cluster cut her finger so bad on the Ultimate Slice and Grate that she had to leave the show and go to the ER for stitches. I don't think she sold any Ultimate Slice and Grates at that show. Ouch!

I forgot an ingredient at my very first show. Fortunately, no one noticed and I just pushed it aside while cleaning up so the host wouldn't see.

I did have a small fire at a show just prior to the guest arriving. The smoke was hanging in the air as the came in the door. Oops!

I had a piece of stoneware break in the microwave prior to a show starting. I was doing some prep work to save time during the show. The host even questioned me about the use of stoneware in the microwave and I proudly said "it works great in the microwave".

It is always an adventure when I do a show. :)

This is a long one...
My director was getting ready to start a show when the doorbell rang, so the adult daughter of the host answered the door & it there was a woman standing there but naked not even wearing any shoes. She told the girl that she needed clothes so the daughter said OK I will go get you some ...naked woman followed daughter into the house. All the women where in shock!
The host went to the daughters room & the woman said that she got in a fight with her husband & he threw her out the house & took her robe. She needed a ride to her grandmother's house. So being very christian people the host & her daughter left the show to go bring the now clothed woman to her grandmothers house.

While this is going on there are police cars driving outside of host's house with the spotlight. Turns out the woman was in the hospital & was being comitted when she escaped. When host got home they found her hospital gowns in a ball in front of the garage.

One of my hostess' husband walked throught the kitchen wearing what looked like only a towel (he had swim trunks on underneath). Some of the ladies started whistling so he stopped and did a rather risque dance for us! Once I got over the shock and the ladies laughing at me as well, we finished the demo.

Those two are as good as this one! I called my host for directions before the party as I got lost. She was drunk! Her boyfriend talked there. Get to the house and she comes out as I am unpacking my car and as we are standing in her front yard, I commented on the really good Halloween decor when she simply states that her best friend from California had blown a hole in his head the night before. The Blood all over the front of the house was his! As I am unpacking in the kitchen, her boyfriend the entire time is walking around in a really skimpy pair of bikini briefs. Anyway, we did the party, yes it was a therapy session as she insisted on having people around if I didn't mind. Did over $700 in sales so... Well about 5 hours later, I am cleaning up, everyone had left, she had gone upstairs to pass out I assume, her boyfriend needed to get ready for work and he knew I was still there. He comes downstairs as naked as jay bird! Yipes! Funny thing was I was so out of it by that time that I simply was talking to him right there in the kitchen! I found out later that he was "interested" as his girlfriend told me he swings both ways and she had told him I was gay! Dang! If I had only known that sooner! He was cute!

I went to a show about 20 min away got out of my truck and had nothing I left it all the products in the garage......... drove home like a nut got everything went back , up stairs to the show and she wasn't even home so I called and called . went home called again till this day she still never called me back

I forget something at almost every show. Usually it is minor and either the host has one or we find another way. One time I actually went home because I lived 4 minutes away.

In the middle of one of my first shows, (before I did interactive shows) the host stood up, announced it was time for a cigarette, and took all the guests outside for a smoke right in the middle of my demo! I was still talking when she did it!!!

When I first started (I think this was about my 7th show) I was in a room full of women who had never been to a PC party and knew nothing about stoneware. So of course I was thrilled to tell them all about it. So this one gal says "Is it durable?" and I respond "Let's see" and I held my bar pan out over the carpet (while my brain is saying "don't do this!!!!!) and drop the bar pan which does not break in half.....it EXPLODES!!! It went dead quite and then all the small bare footed children who had been playing in the other room came running in to see what had happened---eeek!
*as a disclaimer (and I told the ladies this as well) I had my large round stone roll out of the stoneware holder that was on top of my fridge, fall, hit the radiator and was unscathed so in my mind they were very durable. I guess just not on carpet lol!Then a few months later there was the Jerry Springer show where, while I was tallying up orders the hosts 13 year old son picked a fight with her. The host and her mil cornered him and he proceeded to pick up an entire bookshelf and throw it at her! This led to almost every woman screaming, a few crying and then the husband flies in and starts yelling at the host (and cursing) which then led to the oldest daughter coming out. well of course she had to yell and curse at the father and then tried to punch him and he tried to hit back while the short portly MIL was in between them trying to keep them apart. All this time the host (who I am sure was on drugs) stood there with a glazed look as if nothing was happening. I told my hubby to pack the car and I was outta there!and then there was....I could go on and on! I could write a book~ that's what I love about the biz~ it keeps you on your toes! :)

I'm counting my blessings right now having read these stories! whoa.So far, I'm one who HAS taken a trip to the ER. I was 15 minutes into my demo- house full (about 12-13 guests). I was making the California Club Pizza. I was showing the Ult. Mandoline, but since everyone was sitting in one room and my table in the dining room just to the side...so I stepped away from my table and was holding the UM. Had my finger in the wrong place when I slide the guide to show the blades. WHOOPS. 10 minutes later I was told that I needed to go to the ER. My host and her guests finished the food (it wasn't near me when I did this- thankfully!), and she signed up! :D My first show- the 6 guests were sitting at the breakfast bar in front of me - about 2 feet in front of where I was working...they were all conversing with each other, while I was talking. NOt a single one was even aware I was there. I've not got alot of live shows under my belt yet- or at least not too many with strange events. (Thank goodness!!!)

I haven't had too many product mishaps, but one show that stands out is from back when we did the entire demo a la FoodTV style. The host had an English Bulldog that humped my leg almost the entire demo. I asked her to put the dog away in her crate (which was just feet away) and the host refused, saying "she'll cry".

Do a search for Ann's potty story - it's hilarious!

I've had many mishaps and crazy shows....Two of the craziest were:1. As I was getting out of my car at the hosts house for a Bridal Shower show, the host met me at the door of the car to let me know that the wedding had just been called off. 30 guests were supposed to be there in 45 minutes for a Bridal Shower!:eek::cry: I was disappointed in no show, but I'm glad I wasn't one of the aunts who had to call everyone to tell them!2. As I was demoing 30 Minute Chicken and Garlic Parm Biscuit Bites at the kitchen table, the host released her two pet rats to run around on the table. The craziest part was that none of the guests seemed to mind that rats were running all over the table where food was being prepared and they were eating.

I couldn't find Ann's story.
I found some horrible ones tho. I was eating my veggie chips and i started gagging.

One of my shocking story was, when i took my 6 foot table to my neighbors house to do a demo on it. As i was pushing it, yes with everything on it, the other leg collapsed. I had all my collection on it as it was one of my first shows. SA 12 plates on caddy, trifle bowl, and a lot more. The table acted like a slide, everything just went down. This was 30 minutes before the party, the husband (who is almost deaf anyway) woke up. She run out of the kithchen. And i was standing there with the table in my hand, totally shocked. I kinda had the feeling of seeinng my kids fall from high and not able to get there on time to catch them.
Good news, NOTHING BROKE!!! Lesson: ALWAYS check the legs on the table!

5th party i was doing in the other neighbors house, we got such a bad summer storm. It was hailing so hard on the roof that i could barely hear myself.

Worst party i ever had, was at the host's mom's house. I swear that they had not cleaned in the last 20 !! years. They had 9 + cats and smelled like a big cat litter box that has never been cleaned. Everything in the kithchen was filthy, just horrible. I got stuck to the microwave door, and so on. It took me about 5 minutes before i could stand the smell. I luckily took a 2x4 card table, and always have dish towels and soap and sponge with me. I put all necessary ingredients on the cart table to do the demo with, and put some other items on the dining room table to show. But i loaded everything back to the car.
Out of the 4 guests, 3 shopped, and 1 booking, who has never heard of PC before and she later signed up. Later i told her that it was the worst home i ever been to. She agreed.

My first show, I was showing that the mandoline could hang on the wall and I clipped the food grabber thing on top and the garage fell on the floor.... I just said "wow, this is durable!" :)

Nothing too extreme... yet. :p

For about five shows in a row, I forgot ingredients. The truffle brownie cups were missing the butter-turned out good though; forgot half the already grated cheese in a stuffed pizza; the three cheese garden pizza can be made with only two cheeses.

What was even more embarassing is that four of the shows were booked off one show so I had repeat customers! By the fourth show, it became a joke and the guests were watching to see what I would forget.

I was doing the pineapple upside down cake in the 12 in family skillet at my first show. When as I was flipping it out, one of the guests asked if I ever missed the platter, as I looked up at her, the cake slid down the front of my apron and onto the kitchen floor!! Funny part came when the host called and asked me to call and apologize to the guest because for some reason she felt embarrassed!!!!

Love you all; Ann's potty story tops the cake. I did a chicken broccoli braid for the church altar guild and forgot the chicken.

akrebecca said:
For about five shows in a row, I forgot ingredients. The truffle brownie cups were missing the butter-turned out good though; forgot half the already grated cheese in a stuffed pizza; the three cheese garden pizza can be made with only two cheeses.

What was even more embarassing is that four of the shows were booked off one show so I had repeat customers! By the fourth show, it became a joke and the guests were watching to see what I would forget.

weel I di not forget the ingredients...MY host forgot the chicken for the CHICKEN enchilada ring!
Helllo :p

I left the apples out of an Apple Nut Ring......and no one noticed, including me until I got home and couldn't figure out why my apple peeler wasn't in the dirty dish tub.

Oh and I was doing a recipe that called for canned chicken and the hostess gave me tuna and said "but it says right here "chicken of the sea"" Swear - true story - luckily her husband came to my rescue and found a can of chicken in the cabinet.

I, too, cut my thumb on the Ultimate Mandoline. I've forgotten products, etc. BUT.. I think the funniest for me was when I was melting chocolate (the host had the wrong kind, and it took FOREVER for it to melt) in the microcooker. Someone asked me to show them something, I forgot about the chocolate, and then when I remembered looked at the Micro, and it was FULL of smoke! I opened it, grabbed the handle and ran out of the house with smoke trailing behind me! I was laughing SO hard, and everyone was peering out the door watching me with this smoking chocolate! "I'm NOT a professional chef, but a Pampered one!"

this happened to me, after I had been consulting for a couple of years, I was demoing the citrus press and I squirted a guest with lemon juice, I said I was so so sorry then I got her a towel and said sorry again and then I said they will let anyone sell pc, everyone laughed.. That guest went on to do a caddy show the next year..

My neighbor across the street finally booked a show with me after 2 years and we did one of the chocolate shows (the tart on the round stone?) a la mode. I'm not sure why, but I was ALL thumbs that night--food was flying everywhere, including scoops of ice cream that kept flying out of the scoop (see? it releases really well!).My neighbor still teases me about it as well as one of her friends who now holds an annual show in November.

Chefstover2 said:
My neighbor across the street finally booked a show with me after 2 years and we did one of the chocolate shows (the tart on the round stone?) a la mode. I'm not sure why, but I was ALL thumbs that night--food was flying everywhere, including scoops of ice cream that kept flying out of the scoop (see? it releases really well!).

My neighbor still teases me about it as well as one of her friends who now holds an annual show in November.

They will never forget YOU...that's a good thing. :)

I had to be reminded of these because I guess well, it was pretty bad. I've had two parties where the hosts and guest, when I did full out demo parties, had to finish the recipes! The first was one where we did one of the sandwich rings and just as someone asked about how sharp the knife was, I decided to show them! I took off part of my index finger and was bleeding all over the place. The host finished the recipe while I bled under a dish towel, took orders and got out of there. I had to pick up my tools the next day because the hosts hubby ran me to the nearest ER to get 4 stitches! I did the same thing with the Ultimate Slice and Grate about a year later. I finally figured out that I need to keep an eye on my fingers when cutting things! Funny about the sandwich ring party, I sold 8 knives to the 15 guests! I sold ZERO Slice and Grates though at the other party!

1. What is the craziest thing that has ever happened at one of your cooking shows?

The craziest thing that has ever happened at one of our cooking shows was when a guest accidentally set off the fire alarm while trying to cook a dish. It was quite a surprise, but luckily everything turned out fine and we were able to continue with the show after the fire department checked everything.

2. Have you ever had any major mishaps or accidents during a cooking show?

While we have had our fair share of small mishaps, the only major accident we've had was when a guest accidentally spilled hot oil on their hand while frying something. We quickly provided first aid and made sure they were okay before continuing with the show.

3. How do you handle unexpected situations during a cooking show?

We always make sure to have a backup plan in case something unexpected happens during a cooking show. Whether it's a missing ingredient or a broken kitchen tool, we have alternative options ready to keep the show running smoothly. Our consultants are also trained to think on their feet and adapt to any situation that may arise.

4. Have you ever had a cooking show where everything went wrong?

While we strive for everything to go perfectly at every cooking show, there have been a few instances where multiple things went wrong. One time, the power went out in the middle of a show, but our consultant was able to continue with the show using a gas grill. It ended up being a unique and memorable experience for everyone.

5. Can you share a funny or entertaining story from one of your cooking shows?

One time, a guest's dog ran into the kitchen and stole a chicken breast that was being prepared for a dish. It was a hilarious and unexpected moment that had everyone laughing. We quickly replaced the chicken and continued with the show, but it definitely made for a memorable experience!

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• etteluap70PC
  • Pampered Chef Shows
Replies
Views
JAE
  • Laura Kavanaugh
  • Pampered Chef Shows
Replies
Views
Niki Kate
Replies