• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

What's the Best Door Prize for a Pampered Chef Party?

In summary, the Citrus Peeler is a decent door prize, but it can't be something too awesome or people will be disappointed when they get it. I think using Twixit clips as a door prize is a good idea because they are small and people can choose one of two sizes. Thanks for the advice!
emiscookin
The past couple of cooking shows I have done, I made the Citrus Peeler the Door Prize.

I thought it was a decent door prize until I saw the look on the "winner's" face as I handed it to them and then I thought..."Oh boy...maybe it's a crappy door prize." :( The more I thought about it I figured when people come to a PC party and hear about a Door Prize they are expecting something awesome!!! But...it can't be something too awesome or I would be breaking the bank! :confused:

My Director has a bin with a bunch of different items that she lets the Door Prize winner choose from. I'm sure most of you do the same. I think it's a great idea. What are some of the products you use as a door prize? I don't JUST want to give out a Citrus Peeler for a door prize...it's too lame in my opinion.

FYI: I use Twixit clips as prizes for people who bring a guest. I let them choose a large or medium clip and they get a small one. Is that a lame gift too? Should I be giving them a whole thing of Twixit Clips? But then again, I think that's a bit much as a prize for bringing a friend. Heck, maybe I should use the Citrus Peeler's for that! :p

Let me know what ya'll think. I love your advice! :love: Thanks!

I order a variety of the small items that are on the supply order: twixits, SB, bamboo spoons, mini whipper, pan scrapers, etc. The mini-whippers I don't always have. Those go fast and they do cost more. But really, what I find good ones are, are the past issues of SB cookbooks. I put them all in something small, like the small SS colander and then let them pick. Some people love getting a citrus peeler, others want a SB or twixit. I use the same basket for the reward for bringing a friend.

Last edited:
I do the same as Amanda.

SB recipe books
Quikut Knives
Citrus Peelers
Twixits
Also, I have some things from the outlet I've thrown in there - recipe card collections, veggie peelers, etc...
Oh, and bamboo spoons
sometimes an all purpose spreader or two...

I am fairly new and am still trying to get into my groove... and I just love to learn the hard way! LOL

I always have small bamboo spoons sets, citrus peelers, and seasons bests in my bags. On the invites I send out for my hosts it says "Earn Tickets for the big door prize by" and then they have a list of things they can earn tickets for like bringing a guest or outside order, wearing an apron, rsvping, bring a dish to share, etc. They also have a chance to earn tickets during the demo by asking or answering questions and giving testimonials. Depending on the size of the crowd, I do 3 or 4 drawings. The last host I had said people where gearing up for the big door prize... well I hadn't been giving more than what I mentioned above... well I happened to have an extra trifle bowl so I ended up giving that away as the big door prize. The gal who won it was an ex consultant and was doing the jig when I handed her the trifle bowl. She placed a $50 and even booked a show! However, I will now be changing the wording on my invitation because I can not give away a trifle bowl or the like at every show!

I also used to give a mini serving spatula to PC virgins which I used to mention at the beginning of my show... it was worth it until I had a girl at a show who only bought the pizza crust mix, then her credit card was declined.... so I stopped doing that.

People come to our shows expecting to buy things... you can't give it all away for free. I won't go over anything that is $5.00 from now on.

Funny, I have people get really excited about the Citrus Peeler. I do a basket of prizes--
Citrus Peeler
Quikut Paring Knife
Pan Scrapers
Recipe Cards
Spice SamplesI also include a card for a Free Spice. You'd be surprised how many people pass up the free spice for a Citrus Peeler.Oh, and a crappy prize is the one I received at a jewelry party. It was a small card that said, "Thanks for coming."

raebates said:
Oh, and a crappy prize is the one I received at a jewelry party. It was a small card that said, "Thanks for coming."

Seriously?!? That's terrible! That's not a door prize at all!:thumbdown:

That was my thought. The other prizes were all dependent on hosting your own show. I've never been a fan of those kinds of prizes. An upgrade if you host is cool, though.

I usually give the hostess a SB, and do twixit clips for everything else. I have occasionally done a paring knife or a citrus peeler. One of my upline directors said, "people only need one citrus peeler, but you can never have too many twixit clips" and it has stuck. I do give about 5-15 per show, just depending on the flow, how many people, and who all brought guests. I give them to everyone, and even give "plastic for plastic" (twixit clip when they pay with a credit card).

I remember going to PC show's and being very excited about getting the citrus peeler as a door prize. People do LOVE this item, don't let her bring you down.

vanscootin said:
Seriously?!? That's terrible! That's not a door prize at all!:thumbdown:

Oh my gosh, I thought the SAME THING!! :eek:
Wow!

I did go to a Cookie Lee Jewelry party recently and her door prize was picking out slips that said, "Free Shipping" or "$5 off your order" (that's the one I got) or even "$10 off your order." I thought that was pretty clever, but then again, that costs the consultant. The $5 off your order one isn't so bad...what do ya'll think of that option?

Anyway, Thanks so much for your tips! I need to purchase some more door prizes!! ;)

emiscookin said:
Wow!

I did go to a Cookie Lee Jewelry party recently and her door prize was picking out slips that said, "Free Shipping" or "$5 off your order" (that's the one I got) or even "$10 off your order." I thought that was pretty clever, but then again, that costs the consultant. The $5 off your order one isn't so bad...what do ya'll think of that option?

Anyway, Thanks so much for your tips! I need to purchase some more door prizes!! ;)

Sometimes when I want bookings, I put in slips that say "FREE SHOW (I'll provide the demo ingredients)" or "BOOK A SHOW! ~ $10 Extra Free Product at your Show!"

I once did door prizes at a show and gave away three items ... a food chopper (the show closed at around $1600 so it was worth it), a SB cookbook, and a certificate that said "You get to host the next show!"May I tell you there was practically a riot as soon as the "prize" was unveiled.Never again LOL

RMDave said:
I once did door prizes at a show and gave away three items ... a food chopper (the show closed at around $1600 so it was worth it), a SB cookbook, and a certificate that said "You get to host the next show!"

May I tell you there was practically a riot as soon as the "prize" was unveiled.

Never again LOL

Was that because of the "You get to host the next show" thing? ;)

Yep. I wouldn't advise trying it.

I won't!! ;)

The way I see it is we don't HAVE to give out anything extra. If someone doesn't like what they receive then they are ungrateful and should put the prize back or give it to someone who WILL appreciate it.

I let my prize winners pick ONE item from a basket full of jumbo and medium sized twixits, pan scrapers and citrus peelers. Each time, I only put in 1 bamboo spoon and 1 paring knife. I like to give out a few prizes so no everyone is picking all the paring knives.

If someone is not happy with their prize...then oh well. ;)

I give twixits or pan scrapers to people who bring a friend (and the friend), and to anyone who's never been to a show before.
For door prizes I've alternated between just offering an old Season's Best, or giving a basket of options similar to those that the others have mentioned.
I love Becky's idea of including a couple coupons in the gift basket - for someone already considering a party, that would be a great way to solidify that desire!

Haha I guess I'm cheap. I don't even do a door prize or a drawing slip. Since I ask them when they check out all the question about hosting, recruiting, and I get all their info then, I haven't felt a need.

I don't give out door prizes either! :)

I give the host a seasons best or a spice (if I have extra spices) but EVERYONE gets a recipe card in their lapboard and I tell them that is their "gift" for coming. They all seem to love it. :D

leftymac said:
Haha I guess I'm cheap. I don't even do a door prize or a drawing slip. Since I ask them when they check out all the question about hosting, recruiting, and I get all their info then, I haven't felt a need.

chefsteph07 said:
I don't give out door prizes either! :)

I give the host a seasons best or a spice (if I have extra spices) but EVERYONE gets a recipe card in their lapboard and I tell them that is their "gift" for coming. They all seem to love it. :D

No door prizes huh? Hmm....
I could give that a try sometime. Especially if there is ever a time where I don't have the money to purchase more door prizes.
How do you order recipe cards? Is it on the supply order?

Yes, recipe cards are on the supply order.My guests don't miss the door prizes, and no one has ever said anything. So, I'll continue not to do it.

I'm like Keith....no prizes and no slips. The guests get to have fun, reconnect or make a new connection and learn a recipe. The hosts gets free product and discount. They get to play with my toys.

Everyone has been content thus far.

I don't get asked about it either, but I ALWAYS make sure to give the host something. If they have a show over $500, they also get the trivet from me, but they don't know that. I let them know by mailing a thank you card to all my hosts after the show. If they earned the trivet, I tell them that as a special thank you for working so hard, they have earned the Round Up trivet personally from me, etc. They love it.

But, I don't play games or anything like that. I do include the recipe cards (usually make sure it's a baker recipe so if they order it that night or book their own they have another recipe to physically take with them) and they are very happy with that.

I give one prize after everyone fills out the door prize slip. I bring one thing, not a basket (carry enough, not bringing another thing). I give the all purpose spreader, mini spatula and for May have been giving a prep bowl filled with pink and silver candy kisses. My guests are excited to see what the lucky person wins. I also give my host the newest season's best at the beginning of the show.

host gift - 1-cup prep bowl with candies in it unless I have some other extra stuff

for bringing a friend or outside order - SB as well as one for the guest

door prize, one for every 5 people or so: citrus peeler, quikut knife, 1 bamboo spoon, half a pack of Twixits in a little bag, half a pack of corn cob nobs in a bag

recruiting ticket activity prize - a rub

usually order the items on a host's order when they reach the 30% discount

i have a basket with twixits, old sb, paring knives, pan scrapers and citrus peelers. i break up the twixits & they are each put in a small clear bag, tied with curly ribbon that has one of my business cards that i hole punched in the corner. that way the citrus peeler looks more like a "gift" - also i only offer an extra entry for the door prize drawing for each person who brings a guest, they don't automatically get a prize.

I've started primarily giving out old Season's Bests. They are inexpensive and I can really play up that they are like collector items and the only way to get them is to attend a show and bring a friend OR win the door prize drawing.

Emily - if you are ever in a pinch and don't have items on hand to give out, you can always just tell them you'll add a SB to their order. It costs you more than if you order them on supply order, but then you can just order them on the show if you weren't able to place a supply order in time. I just did this recently when I actually forgot my prizes LOL

Ditto with Keith and Laurie for the majority of the time. I do have a "stand by" game & gift in case there is a lull in the show but for the most part I really don't think my guests have missed the game or have been disappointed there wasn't one.

I hand out a SB as an "on time" gift to everyone who's there when it's time to start the show (including the host). In Okinawa, we are required to do "direct" shipping. "Ship to host" is not an option, so I do "free shipping" as the official door prize drawing. It's usually $10.50 or $14.25, but I did have a $22 shipping once! LOL No complaints, though ... the commission off the show always covers the door prize and then some ... LOLI'm in Texas on vacation right now & have shows this weekend here in TX. I was thinking about doing $10 off their order as the door prize. Haven't quite decided yet, I might just let them choose 2 of the Rubs for free. ;)

I keep it simple.

I do an "ON TIME" drawing (prize is SBRC) and I play one game (lately it is BINGO) and I give a prize that is around $5 value but no more than $10. I also give the host a gift in front of everyone. Lately it is the reusable shopping bag.

Great ideas everyone! Thanks for sharing! :)

I usually pick out something really inexpensive from the catalog and order it with the order. I enter the host as the cohost also and order it under her name. That way I make comission on it (every little bit of money helps lol) and I also get a discount on it. My Director once told me to never give away something that I dont make money on like free shipping, etc. I have held true to that advice. My last show I sent the door prize winner the small spatula. Cost me hardly anything because the host got a 25% discount. I always tell them that their gift is a surprise.

This is purely for curiosity's sake so please don't read anything into it. For those of you who don't do any type of recruiting/ booking activity, what are your stats for those aspects of your business?
I know we always talk about having those components to your shows, but I am interested to know about the stats of those who don't.
Thanks in advance!

beckyjsmith said:
This is purely for curiosity's sake so please don't read anything into it. For those of you who don't do any type of recruiting/ booking activity, what are your stats for those aspects of your business?
I know we always talk about having those components to your shows, but I am interested to know about the stats of those who don't.
Thanks in advance!

Good question! I am curious to hear the answers as well.

beckyjsmith said:
Thanks in advance!

I do not do any type of games, but I do use the booking/recruiting slide at the same time that I announce all the upcoming specials. Prior to starting that, I had 3 people in my downline. This year I decided to start using the booking/recruiting slide & doing the full service checkout. I've been lazy this year & have only done 13 shows in 2010, but I've added 6 personal recruits to my team this year & we've also had 3 additional recruits join us in my downline. So I went from 3 in my downline to 12 by using the b/r slide & doing the full service checkout AND relaying that info to my downline and encouraging them to do the same.

Sheila said:
I do not do any type of games, but I do use the booking/recruiting slide at the same time that I announce all the upcoming specials. Prior to starting that, I had 3 people in my downline. This year I decided to start using the booking/recruiting slide & doing the full service checkout. I've been lazy this year & have only done 13 shows in 2010, but I've added 6 personal recruits to my team this year & we've also had 3 additional recruits join us in my downline. So I went from 3 in my downline to 12 by using the b/r slide & doing the full service checkout AND relaying that info to my downline and encouraging them to do the same.

I don't do any game, nor do I try to recruit right now. My choice. However, I've been getting an average of 2 bookings per show. That's enough for me. I just believe in the basics -- show 'em a good time, make 'em love the products, and they'll want to have a show if they want more stuff.

Sheila said:

What is the booking/recruiting slide? Where can you get that?

leftymac said:
I don't do any game, nor do I try to recruit right now. My choice. However, I've been getting an average of 2 bookings per show. That's enough for me. I just believe in the basics -- show 'em a good time, make 'em love the products, and they'll want to have a show if they want more stuff.

Sounds like just what I do. ;)

emiscookin said:

It is available on the supply order for $15. One side tells all the benefits of booking and the other side all benefits of the business. If you get it use only one side at a show - you decide which for each show.

It was also available in the download section at CC. I think it's still there. But you have to print and laminate on your own which comes close to the $15 PC charges and theirs is much more professional looking.

beckyjsmith said:
Thanks in advance!

Great question.

According to my performance details...this year I've had 22 shows, 64 bookings...so, it's about 2-4 bookings per show, and I have had 20 recruits in 15 months. I tend to do booking and recruiting seeds throughout the show, and it's during Full Service Checkout that I ask each and everyone to consider the biz and hosting show.

BethCooks4U said:
It is available on the supply order for $15. One side tells all the benefits of booking and the other side all benefits of the business. If you get it use only one side at a show - you decide which for each show.

It was also available in the download section at CC. I think it's still there. But you have to print and laminate on your own which comes close to the $15 PC charges and theirs is much more professional looking.

Thanks so much!! :D
By why do I only want to show ONE side at a show?

Last edited:
I stay pretty simple. I give the host a Season's Bests and let their guests
sign it with a little note or whatever. Then this month, because its HWC, I
played a "How in the PINK are you?" quiz and gave out a prize to whoever
got the most right. I have a basket of Twixits, SBs, Quikut, & Citrus Peelers.

I'm in this to make money, not lose it :]

Kenzie09 said:
I stay pretty simple. I give the host a Season's Bests and let their guests
sign it with a little note or whatever. Then this month, because its HWC, I
played a "How in the PINK are you?" quiz and gave out a prize to whoever
got the most right. I have a basket of Twixits, SBs, Quikut, & Citrus Peelers.

I'm in this to make money, not lose it :]

We all are! :D

Even if we do spend a few dollars on door prizes, I like that we can all take comfort in the fact that we make MORE than other Direct Selling Companies (if you really think deeply about it) because of how well Pampered Chef takes care of us and gives us discounts and Host rewards at NO COST to us!!

lesliec said:
...One of my upline directors said, "people only need one citrus peeler, but you can never have too many twixit clips"...

One of the women I work with just bought 5 citrus peelers. She said she needed one for each person in her family (and a couple extra to hide for herself) because her whole family loves them and everytime she goes to use one her kids have either taken it or lost it.

emiscookin said:

BethCooks4U said:

???

No, use both sides EVERY time! I show all the upcoming specials, then announce that PC has done this nifty little thing to help us explain the benefits of hosting ... I let go of everything except the first page & let it make the big noise. As I cover each slide, I fold that section back into my hand so that what they are reading is eye level. When I'm done with the booking side, I let the guests know that not everyone is interested in the recruiting info, but for those who might want more info ... that's what THIS side is for and I drop the slide again where the recruiting side is facing the guests. ;) It takes me about 3 minutes from beginning to end. I don't make it lengthy at ALL! And it works!!! In my last post, we'd gone from 3 in my downline to 12. Now we are at 14. :D

emiscookin said:
Wow!

I am fairly new still having been doing this only for about 10 months however, I typically give the citrus peeler as my door prize for someone who brings a guest or who its there first party. I also have the mini whipper, and the twixits as well. And did buy recently some quik cut as well. But for drawings I do the SB from previous seasons and Calendars( till I am out of them which I am out of now). I do on occassion give something else away if I have a big party( 1000 dollar show) I might give something else I have like a mix and chop or another 10 dollar item. But that is just me.....I use that for my ticket game winner to get people to ask questions about the business to help to try in the recruiting. We will see if that helps with recruiting.

Spices, they create repeat customers. I play the ticket game and give a spice or a SB or something little that I have collected for free. I play the ticket game at every show and have 33 personal recruits in 15 months.

I hate the idea of carrying more stuff so I make it simple for myself. Cash! $1 per order or guest and free s&H for the early bird or on time drawing. It is that simple. And it works! The average show now has about 99% of all guests there on time! I put all of the "special" guests bonuses in the invite! I have forgotten to give a host gift though during the party. My gift to the host is the cost of extra groceries to prepare more than one recipe or I cover the cost of one recipe. So no money out of their pocket. It is their choice then. I never go over $10 as I budget my recipes extremely well.

I'm very new to the business, but I do give away Twixit's and citrus peelers for bringing a guest, participating in demo, etc. I also offer their choice of the 2/pk small bamboo spoons or a hold-n-slice to anyone who books a cooking show within the next two weeks. I tried it for the first time last Saturday...and booked 3 shows. It's definitely a good investment. I always give the host a cookbook...

One of the Tele-trainings I attended, the leader said that she wanted her Host to feel like the most special person in the room so she pampered her all night with little things. I have the guests write something in a SB and that's the final prize I give the Host. I start off with a reusable shopping bag which I place a Kit Credit Coupon in, one quik cut paring knife, for HWC I gave my hosts a mini-whipper in the package and placed one of the HWC pins on it instead of a ribbon.

I use the citrus peelers, recipe cards and nylon pan scrapers in a pretty gift bag for thos who arrive on time, bring a guest, or help.

One thing I heard in another class was not to spend too much money on give-aways until you'd started making your monthly goals and to not give away items like shipping and handling that you cannot earn a commission on.

See you in Chicago...my first National Conference!

Marti

I used to give away free shipping until someone here mentioned that (a) I don't make commission on that and (b) it doesn't promote one of our products. Now I give away a free spice. [I might have said this before, but I'm too lazy to read through the whole thread to find out.]

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• 1PamperedMommy
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
chefann
Replies
Views
ChefAmandaWason
Replies
Views
Admin Greg