• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

What's the Best Door Prize for a Pampered Chef Party?

In summary, the Citrus Peeler is a decent door prize, but it can't be something too awesome or people will be disappointed when they get it. I think using Twixit clips as a door prize is a good idea because they are small and people can choose one of two sizes. Thanks for the advice!
PCJenni said:
Spices, they create repeat customers. I play the ticket game and give a spice or a SB or something little that I have collected for free. I play the ticket game at every show and have 33 personal recruits in 15 months.

what is the ticket game?

Jolie_Paradoxe said:
Great question.

According to my performance details...this year I've had 22 shows, 64 bookings...so, it's about 2-4 bookings per show, and I have had 20 recruits in 15 months. I tend to do booking and recruiting seeds throughout the show, and it's during Full Service Checkout that I ask each and everyone to consider the biz and hosting show.

May I ask what wording you use for recruiting? This is an area I seriously struggle with and WANT to recruit but just have a really hard time saying the "right" thing.

I found the easiest way to sell people on the Citrus Peeler is to throw out a few oranges and have people use the Citrus Peeler instead of using their fingers. Once they're used one, they get much more excited if they win one. I just sold a lady 15 of them and another guest bought 5 the night before last.

I never do free shipping. It costs me money. Where as if I give them a free rub, I may spend $4, but at least I make commission on it. KWIM?

Typically my door prizes are mini-whippers, SB, or mini serving spatulas. But I only do door prizes if the show attendance is good. (-:

deanna_g said:
I never do free shipping. It costs me money. Where as if I give them a free rub, I may spend $4, but at least I make commission on it. KWIM?

Typically my door prizes are mini-whippers, SB, or mini serving spatulas. But I only do door prizes if the show attendance is good. (-:

That is a good idea!! I should remember that one!

deanna_g said:

I do a door prize even if there's just one guest - I want that contact info and it's not her fault that no one else came.

Back to the booking slide - I recommend only using one side because if you are giving TMI they glaze over and don't hear anything. The attention grabing part is gone once the slide is flipped open. I use the booking slide and flip it over and say "We have just as many reasons that you would benefit from our business. Check this out later and talk to me." If it's repeat crowd that's seen the booking side a couple times I'll do the recruiting side and then flip to the booking side and say "Most of you already have heard - or know because you have hosted - our awesome host benefits. If you want a review check this out and talk to me."

I think I posted earlier but wanted to add again that I only give out citrus peelers, pan scrapers and twix-it clips. The host gets a SB and the one who gets all 5 questions first in the 5 question game gets a past SB. I recently had another consultant attend one of my shows. I give out pan scrapers to people who's first party that is and she was amazed at how excited people where to get a pan scraper! KEEP IT SIMPLE!!!

I give a door prize no matter the turnout. Even if only one person came, by golly she should definitely be rewarded for being the one to come out! It's a "thanks for taking the time to come out tonight" prize. And it's such an inexpensive item, really, that I don't mind at all. I use twixits, old SB's, citrus peelers, pan scrapers, Kwikut knives, and occasionally I'll have some mini whippers or small bamboo spoons.

babywings76 said:
I give a door prize no matter the turnout. Even if only one person came, by golly she should definitely be rewarded for being the one to come out! It's a "thanks for taking the time to come out tonight" prize. And it's such an inexpensive item, really, that I don't mind at all. I use twixits, old SB's, citrus peelers, pan scrapers, Kwikut knives, and occasionally I'll have some mini whippers or small bamboo spoons.

Me too! In fact when it's a really small crowd, I'll give 2 - and then I tell them that they have a really good chance of winning a door prize! :D

Either an SB, a couple of twixits, citrus peeler, knife, or ONE of the small bamboo spoons go for the door prize drawing, or to the game winner. Sometimes I get recipe cards really cheap and will give them as a prize.

I stopped giving a gift for the door prize about 3 1/2 yrs ago when about 75% of the people winning, never even placed an order!! I have talked to alot of consultants and they say they have never had this problem, but where I live (in the Boonies) alot of people come to parties just to have fun and are looking for a free gift.....so when my last guest won and didnt place an order because "I dont need anything at my age", I decided right there and then to give free shipping....then I hear "oh now you mean I have to order something?" No they dont and alot of times they dont order and then I'm not out anything!!! It works both ways, but if someone does order, then thats more commission that I wouldnt have normally gotten. ;)

My favorite new door prizes that are a huge hit? Spice samples. I bought the Jamaican Jerk Seasoning and Southwest Seasoning in bulk, bought a package of jewelry ziplocs at the craft store for $2.00 and put about 2 tbsp of seasoning in them. THen I put a sticker with my info and the name of the seasoning on the bag. Wahoo! I get a ton of these bags from the bulk bag.

Then someone at my meeting suggested stapling them to a recipe card that uses it. Genius! REcipe cards are cheap! Add a spice sample and they are awesome!

pamperedhicks said:
My favorite new door prizes that are a huge hit? Spice samples. I bought the Jamaican Jerk Seasoning and Southwest Seasoning in bulk, bought a package of jewelry ziplocs at the craft store for $2.00 and put about 2 tbsp of seasoning in them. THen I put a sticker with my info and the name of the seasoning on the bag. Wahoo! I get a ton of these bags from the bulk bag.

Then someone at my meeting suggested stapling them to a recipe card that uses it. Genius! REcipe cards are cheap! Add a spice sample and they are awesome!

Ooh! I like this idea!! Now off to the craft store to find baby ziploc bags!

Brenda.the.chef said:
Ooh! I like this idea!! Now off to the craft store to find baby ziploc bags!

Your little baggies should be food-grade. The jewelry ones are not made of food safe plastic.

I used to do the little baggies, but now I've started going to a local restaurant supply house and buying little disposable condiment cups with lids. a regular size address label wraps around the side with a simple recipe for a dip or marinade. I've only made up a few at a time so far to use as gifts, but I'm thinking I may start using them as an incentive to pay by debit or credit, and handing them out at check-out.

ChefBeckyD said:
Your little baggies should be food-grade. The jewelry ones are not made of food safe plastic.

I used to do the little baggies, but now I've started going to a local restaurant supply house and buying little disposable condiment cups with lids. a regular size address label wraps around the side with a simple recipe for a dip or marinade. I've only made up a few at a time so far to use as gifts, but I'm thinking I may start using them as an incentive to pay by debit or credit, and handing them out at check-out.

I really like that idea.

pamperedhicks said:

That's a really great idea!!

Not sure how important the food-grade thing is, but I guess it is worth looking into. I like it in the little envelope better than the plastic thing with the lid. I'll have to look into food grade plastic bags or find out what difference it makes.

Thanks for sharing!!

So where do you find "food-safe" bags?

I've also read on here, that instead of doing "free shipping" as the door prize, (which I had been doing), that they offer a free spice or rub, and the consultant pays for that plus it increases the amount of the show. It's definitely what I'm going to do for the "door prize" for my June shows, I'll let you know how it goes.

Chef Kearns said:
That's a really great idea!!

Not sure how important the food-grade thing is, but I guess it is worth looking into. I like it in the little envelope better than the plastic thing with the lid. I'll have to look into food grade plastic bags or find out what difference it makes.

Thanks for sharing!!

To some people, it's extremely important. I also found that in the little baggies, they lose their flavor much quicker than in the little cups. I'd rather do up a big bunch at once instead of making them all the time to keep them fresh.

For food safe bags, try the candy making aisle at Michael's or Hobby Lobby.

I get seasonal "treat" bags from the dollar store and put a pan scraper and a small twixit or a paring knife and scraper or a citrus peeler and small twxit in it and put a ribbon or twist tie around it. Usually 2 small things. Then I have the container you can get from the supply filled with twixit, scrapers and new tie-its for bring a guest and they choose one.

ChefBeckyD said:

I love this idea and am going to try it! I get so many checks and would prefer credit cards! Couldn't we use a snack size ziploc bag?

I have been giving out generous prizes for 10 yrs now but they are not "door" prizes, they are prizes for people winning at various games that I do. I've had so many compliments that I make it more like a party and less like a sales pitch. In my area, there are many PC consultants and lots of direct sales parties to choose from so I am lucky to have a very loyal following. I give away 3-4 items at every show: 1 prep bowl, a few Twixits, a set of petite bamboo spoons. I do give a Season's Best to people who bring guests AND their guest BUT I add to their order. I used to give right at show, but then they would walk away without ordering. And I also gift my hosts with their choice of rub and I use their discount. I keep getting bookings and tons of referrals--just had 3 calls in the last week with people I haven't even met asking if they can please schedule a show!

keril said:
I have been giving out generous prizes for 10 yrs now but they are not "door" prizes, they are prizes for people winning at various games that I do. I've had so many compliments that I make it more like a party and less like a sales pitch. In my area, there are many PC consultants and lots of direct sales parties to choose from so I am lucky to have a very loyal following. I give away 3-4 items at every show: 1 prep bowl, a few Twixits, a set of petite bamboo spoons. I do give a Season's Best to people who bring guests AND their guest BUT I add to their order. I used to give right at show, but then they would walk away without ordering. And I also gift my hosts with their choice of rub and I use their discount. I keep getting bookings and tons of referrals--just had 3 calls in the last week with people I haven't even met asking if they can please schedule a show!

Could you share with us what games you do and/or how you do your shows so that they feel "more like a party and less like a sales pitch"?

Several folks mentioned the Twix-it clips, and I divide the package into two prizes (putting half in plastic zip-lock bags) which makes it still a cool prize but much less expensive. I purchased the 8 qt collapsible bowl and that is my "prize bowl"... the lid and light weight make it easy to throw in my bag, plus is shows off the bowl! In it I have all kinds of things that I get for free on catalogue shows I do.... I pretty much stay with citrus peelers, SB, corn cob nobs (these are hot!), corn butterers, mini whippers, extra spices I have, etc. Sometimes if I earn for free the nylon knife or can strainer that will go in there too... it is a really good selection. I might also encourage you to look at the outlet... I got some great things cheap off there that were a hit.
For "virgins" I am still using calendars I ordered last year... or I do a SB. For my hosts I try to do a little more, like a peeler and a calendar, or SB, that sort of thing....
My guests seem to like the choices, plus the "bowl" add suspense. Oh, I also tell folks at the show if they book and "get in my calendar" (i.e. not just say they will host in the future) I give them free shipping.

I bought a bunch of 50 cent gift bags from Target and I usually put something around $5 (unless I have extra things) in it. When I do my own shows, I just use my free product order mini spatulas or rubs, spreaders, whatever, plus I get them with PC $$ on the supply order. It ends up being pretty good.
On a couple of my shows that were in the $700 range, I gave free shipping to one person, and 10% off order to the other. Both of them booked because of that :)

I have one goody bag with a variety of items in it from the Supply Form. I let the winner choose. Some people go crazy over the peeler or a quikut paring knife....others prefer a Season's Best or the Mini-Whipper, etc.

I don't do a door prize either because I do the recipe cards with my information stamped on them. I do have a basket filled with rubs so that I can have something if someone brings a friend. I did an open house once and purchased a bunch of them with my discount and the free product money so it was worth it. I will stock up in December when I do my holiday open house as well.

I collect a variety of small items and I purchased the 8 quart collapsable bowl as my "prize bucket". It has top, is light to carry and it advertises the bowl. People seem to like choosing. I always have folks wanting the corn nobs, the corn butterer, SB, and I split a package of twixits into 2. Pretty much anything I can get for under about $3 or for free (if I host the show myself) goes in my prize bucket. I also ordered a whole bunch of the HWP cake testers.... cheap and very popular! There is always a few of them in the bucket. I never order from the supply list because inevitably I will have to order things at some point to fill up a show.

Couponing is HUGE in the area I'm in, so I bring one of those slicers, and SB. My director take a box of the cookie cutters and hands out tickets. Whoever wins a prize for either being on time, or winning the game or whatever, gets a cookie cutter. I thought that was clever and cost effective

Where do u order pantry items in bulk???

supply order

oh ok, i didn't realize they were bulk

The ones that are $12 are the bulk ones. They say bulk at the end of their description

I usually give a very nice door prize since I won a shopping spree. I still have a ton of products. I wouldn't spend that much on them if I had to buy them though.

I do tickets. They all get one when they come in. Then I give them more during the show to participate. Which means help with the recipe, try out a product, give advise on how they use a product, etc. I usually have the prizes sitting out so they know they are good and want to win them. I usually give one big one away, which they choose from 2-3 items and then a few smaller ones like SB, citrus peeler, etc The large give is something like a lg. cookbook, microfiber towel, crinkle cutter, hot pad/tirvit, etc.

My people love the giveaways and I think it keeps them at the show until you do the drawing!

Good luck,

I don't use a basket, but I do offer a choice. I usually have an old Season's Best (because they can buy the new one if they want it, so this becomes something 'exclusive' for those who love recipes) and something else as a choice. Last time, the guest chose 2 twixit clips over the cookbook. I had the citrus peeler on me, but she mentioned owning it when we did introductions. (I gave her one medium and one small.) If there are at least 10 guests there, I will do something bigger, like the small bamboo spoons or the mini whipper, but only when the crowd is a good size.

I give a SB cookbook as my door prize and I put a little note in the inside cover with my name and number for a future party.

pampered1224 said:
I hate the idea of carrying more stuff so I make it simple for myself. Cash! $1 per order or guest and free s&H for the early bird or on time drawing. It is that simple. And it works! The average show now has about 99% of all guests there on time! I put all of the "special" guests bonuses in the invite! I have forgotten to give a host gift though during the party. My gift to the host is the cost of extra groceries to prepare more than one recipe or I cover the cost of one recipe. So no money out of their pocket. It is their choice then. I never go over $10 as I budget my recipes extremely well.

Oooooo...I love the cash idea! Who doesn't love cash?? I'm brand-spankin' new and just lurking, soaking up all the brillance here :D Thanks to everyone who has posted!!

I guess it's different for consultants that depend on their commision as a source of income. I work with Pampered Chef for the fun of getting out and making new friends. I'll give the host the cookbook that the recipe was in. I give $10 off an order for a doorprize. If someone places a large order, I sometimes give them the leftover seasoning that I used. For fundraisers I match what Pampered Chef gives them so I'm not making anything except new customers.

I do pretty much the same products in my goodie bag. I do give the guests a pocket folder with their catalog and order form with a 4x5" sticky note on the front "marked wish list". I have started putting a recipe card in there as well as a thank you gift for coming (I have lots left over from a festival). I also put a 3x3" sticky note inside the folder with "I win!" inside. That has been a hit...and many DO LOVE the citrus peeler!
I did a couple of parties in December where I put on the sticky note, "A Free Cooking Show!). That was a hit at one party, but not the next....you never know. I've also put on the sticky note a "Free Cookbook" (SB). I find the guests love anything FREE. Don't let one ungrateful guest ruin it!

When I was first introduced to PC, I was at a party and won the door prize, a citrus peeler. It was handed to me and my friends and family knew that it wasn't a "win" since I'm allergic to citrus.

So, I agree with some of the previous posts that it's a great door prize however, the packaging and presentation matters. If my host gave me the sticky note that I could track my favorites/want list and a thank you note and catalog, it would have been viewed more favorably by everyone.

Another thought...think of when you went to buy a car or a home or anything that you viewed as expensive or an investment and the salesman made you feel special...it wasn't cheap...but even a flower arrangement stating welcome home mattered. Remember, that we can make a difference and how we present ourselves matters.

I think that you should continue to be kind and generous by giving the citrus peeler, I kept mine and have used it since but it's all about the presentation.

I hope this helps.

lesliec said:
"plastic for plastic" (twixit clip when they pay with a credit card).

I LOVE this prize! I've been trying to encourage everyone to pay with a CC and will be trying this at my next show!

I just did a show and for those who comPleted the drawing slip to get added to my newsletter, I chose 1 slip. That person received a clear bag with the citrus peeler, a 10% off one item coup

I just did a show and for those who comPleted the drawing slip to get added to my newsletter, I chose 1 slip. That person received a clear bag with the citrus peeler, a 10% off one item coupon secured with a twixit clip. She did go back and purchase a higher priced item.

I usually give last seasons SB, a citrus peeler and a scraper together in a clear catalog bag with curly ribbon.... kinda makes it look like a nicer gift... I always buy several 10pks of the old Seasons bests when they are discounted to $2. Also, I give free shipping to the person bringing a guest.... and then I just combine the orders of that person and their guest so I dont lose money.... I usually have shows products delivered to my house, as a service to my hosts. That way i can seperate orders and add any product info I find neccessary (caring for your stoneware printout, or recipe cards that pertain to a product they bought) I'll also add paperwork on starting your own business or questions about joining PC if I got any hints that they might be interested.... that's how i joined- by looking over paperwork the consultant gave me :)

I have a basket of prizes for people to choose from. I use small clear gift bags (the type for packaging homemade candy or gifts for wedding guest - I get them in the cake section of Hobby Lobby). I put 2 or 3 items in the bag - quikut, twixit, citrus peeler, etc. I close the bag with a small twixit. So, even though they are all small/cheap items, they are presented nicely and they get a little more (ex. one bag may have a knife and 2 medium twixit - then they also get the small on which closes the bag). I also have a few different SB in the basket. I think people appreciate having a choice, though I did have two guest just about arm wrestle for the only spreader in my basket once. :eek:

i go the orange peeler and a recipe card. people have loved it

did this at my last show - gave out pan scrapers in little organza bags with my business card for questions, everyone was trying to think of a question, they all wanted one. Couldn't believe how excited they were! had a colander jug as a door prize and got more orders from people who wanted to win it

I give out the outdated SB c/b's listed on the supply orders. I have a couple different editions that I got for $2.25 for 10. With the price of $2 each for our currant one- people might think they're worth $2. I usually give 3-5 per show depending on attendence.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• 1PamperedMommy
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
chefann
Replies
Views
ChefAmandaWason
Replies
Views
Admin Greg