• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Exploring Cranial Scaral Therapy for Concussion Recovery

In summary, my physical massage therapist is recommending cranial scaral therapy for me. She has done some google-ing on it, but would love to get some feedback from anyone here who is familiar with it. Anyone here have any experienced (good or bad) with this? I imagine if a crane got scared, it would fly away.
legacypc46
Gold Member
My physical massage therapist is recommending cranial scaral therapy for me. I've done some google-ing on it, but would love to get some feedback from anyone here who is familiar with it.

I suffered a concussion recently and am dealing with continuing headaches, fuzzy-thinking, and substantial neck/back pain. (I've already seen the doctor; this is all 'normal' for my injury and can last for weeks/months :grumpy:.) I'm not a big fan of medications, so I'm open to alternative therapies. Anyone here have any experienced (good or bad) with this?

I imagine if a crane got scared, it would fly away.

:)

*********** (added to meet post length)

I've done cranial sacral therapy twice (and now that you've brought it up, think I may try and do it again).About 10 years ago, I had gone for a massage and when I described my headaches to the therapist she suggested trying Cranial sacral. Quite honestly I thought it was going to be a bunch of new age hoo-ey. And if watching from the outside, I think I'd probably still think that, but having done it and had FABULOUS results (my daily headaches went away and stayed away for over a year... since they are back, I think a repeat visit would help).It's sort of like a massage that you do clothed and laying on your back facing up. She did some scalp massage (mmmm, so relaxing) and touched pressure points along my neck, shoulders and hands. Then (here's the weirdish part) placed one hand underneath me just above my tail bone (at the sacrum) and the other hand on my lower belly just above and sat there for about 10 minutes. Not moving or massaging, but I could truly feel "energy" moving between her hands. Then she repeated doing the same thing at my head. It was incredibly relaxing -- we just chatted the whole time if I wanted and it worked for me.I did it a second time about 3 years later. I got relief again, but not quite as dramatic as the first time.

Thank you! You addressed a lot of my concern. I am in so much discomfort/pain that I owe it to myself to try it. I'll let you know how it goes.

Thank you Laura! I had my second CST session this morning, and for the first time since my fall (almost four weeks ago), I don't feel like my head is full of pressure. I can't express what a nice feeling that is.

(And thank you CS for giving us such an increadible forum to reach out to each other for 'life stuff' in addition to PC.)

Was this something that your insurance covered or you have to pay out of pocket for? I have been having problems with constant headaches and suffer from migraines and am looking for an alternative to pain meds to help me deal with them.

legacypc46 said:
Thank you Laura! I had my second CST session this morning, and for the first time since my fall (almost four weeks ago), I don't feel like my head is full of pressure. I can't express what a nice feeling that is.

(And thank you CS for giving us such an increadible forum to reach out to each other for 'life stuff' in addition to PC.)

I'm so glad you have found yet another way to get a head.

(And I'm glad this therapy wasn't actually some kind of skull duggery.)

I asked my massage therapist about this the last time I got a massage. It sounds like an interesting therapy. The good thing is that if it's not what you need it doesn't hurt anything.

PCMomto4 said:
Was this something that your insurance covered or you have to pay out of pocket for? I have been having problems with constant headaches and suffer from migraines and am looking for an alternative to pain meds to help me deal with them.

raebates said:
I asked my massage therapist about this the last time I got a massage. It sounds like an interesting therapy. The good thing is that if it's not what you need it doesn't hurt anything.

I probably wouldn't have tried this if I didn't have so much respect for the person who suggested it. It helped too that the gal she recommended was very exprerienced and confident in what she was doing (made it less "new age-y".) I went into it with one part healthy skepticsim and one part healthy curiousity. I also haven't had anything close to a normal day since falling several weeks ago....so that was a major motivator.

Anyway, the physical pressure in my head seems to be gone (will see if it lasts thru the morning). I still have some headache, but this is so so so much better than what I was dealing with before.

As for insurance, mine doesn't cover anything like chiropractic or massage therapies. However, I'm 'told' that if your insurance company is based in Florida and it covers physical therapy massage treatments, then it has to cover stuff like CST as well. (My insurance is federal-based, so that state provision doesn't apply to me.) Surprisingly, I know of a couple ivy-league-trained doctors here who actually write prescriptions for CST.

And KG, I knew you wouldn't let me down in the pun department. :love:

Anything new that has even the slightest appearance of a new-age-woo-woo protocol is not easily accepted by many in the profession. I ran into the same attitudes with hyperbaric oxygen therapy. My (late) oncologist insisted that I have HBOT before any kind of oral surgery. My oral surgeon was a skeptic. But now that it's all over, I'm a believer in HBOT, and even my oral surgeon is coming around. And like CST, HBOT is not covered by most insurance plans.

I think you made a lot of us believers in HBOT. (I didn't envy the circumstances, but was jealous of all that dedicated reading time. ) ;)

Well, if the CST does do the job, you could always try HBOT. ;)Seriously, it is used for brain injuries, too.

I've never done CST, but I'm happy to hear that you are getting relief.I was physically assaulted in '94. Along with other injuries, the suspect knocked my spinal column out of alignment in 3 places & left me with a concussion. I had a horrible headache 24 hours a day, 7 days a week - for 3 months straight. Several co-workers recommended that I go to a Chiropractor. I thought that they were quacks & refused for the longest time. I finally reached the point where if I thought that drilling a hole in my head to relieve the pressure would have worked, I'd have tried it! I was THAT desperate for relief. So I broke down & went to the Chiropractor that they were all recommending. He did x-rays & had me come back later that afternoon. When I came back, he showed me where my spine was out of alignment. The first vertebrae was one of the 3 spots, and it's position is what was causing the headaches. My first instinct when he adjusted the 1st vertebrae was to scream. But before I could do it, I realized that he had given me INSTANT relief. I still occasionally get headaches. I can push on a certain spot on the back of my neck, if it gives me relief, I know that the 1st vertebrae is out of alignment again. A quick Chiropractic trip resolves the issue! Hopefully, you'll get long term relief with the CST. If not, consider going to a Chiropractor! Like all professions, there are good & bad ones out there ... so ask around for referrals. Hopefully, you'll find one who can help! ;)

I know my insurance pays for chiropractic and physical therapy but not sure about the massage part of PT, I will have to give them a call and find out! Thanks for all the information.

1. What is Cranial Sacral Therapy?

Cranial Sacral Therapy is a gentle, non-invasive form of bodywork that focuses on the bones of the head, spinal column, and sacrum. It aims to improve the function of the central nervous system and promote overall well-being.

2. What conditions can Cranial Sacral Therapy help with?

Cranial Sacral Therapy has been shown to be beneficial for a wide range of conditions, including headaches, migraines, chronic pain, stress and tension, TMJ disorders, and post-traumatic stress disorder.

3. How does Cranial Sacral Therapy work?

Cranial Sacral Therapy uses gentle touch to release restrictions in the craniosacral system, which is made up of the bones, membranes, and fluid that surround and protect the brain and spinal cord. By releasing these restrictions, it allows the body to self-correct and improve its overall functioning.

4. Is Cranial Sacral Therapy safe for everyone?

Yes, Cranial Sacral Therapy is generally safe for people of all ages, from infants to the elderly. However, it is always important to consult with a trained practitioner and discuss any pre-existing conditions before undergoing any form of bodywork.

5. How many sessions of Cranial Sacral Therapy will I need?

The number of sessions required varies depending on the individual's condition and response to treatment. Some people may experience improvements after just one session, while others may require multiple sessions to achieve their desired results. Your therapist will work with you to determine the best treatment plan for your specific needs.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• chefkathy
  • Recruiting and Team Leaders
Replies
Views
chefkathy
Back