• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Boiling Corn: Tips for Perfect Results

In summary, boiling corn in milk or water makes it tender." Rachel Schelachter's blog. Posted on February 22, 2014. Accessed May 2, 2014. http://rachelschelachter.com/in-summary-boiling-corn-in-milk-or-water-makes-it-tender/.
chef.katie
Does anyone have any tips on the best way to boil corn? I've had a lot of hosts ask me but I usually microwave mine. Thanks.

Get the salted water to a rolling boil and drop in the corn that has been husked and has the corn cob nobs in it. Cook it for 3 minutes - No More than that! Pull it out of the water. If you don't plan to use it right away, shock it with some cold, ice water.

I found this tip on a recipe sight. It tells you to boil in milk instead of water as it makes the corn tender. As water tends to keep it tough.
Haven't tried it because haven't felt like shucking corn as I'm babysitting a husband whos had surgary.:) :)

I husk and wash the corn - place some of the husks in the bottom of a large pot and place the corn in with the nobs on it. You can fit more corn if you alter the direction of each later, I put about 2 cups of water in it, cook on med. high until steaming and then low for about 10 minutes. Yum. Great with Garlic Butter!

Boiling cornI've had the most success boiling corn by placing shucked corn in a large pan/kettle, just cover with water, add 1-2 Tbls sugar (not salt), bring to a boil, boil 2-3 minutes, cover, remove from heat and let stand for 10 minutes. Corn tends to get tougher the longer you cook it and also if salt is used.

I also use sugar instead of salt.

Just one thing to add, my grandmother who is an awesome cook and my mother who learned from her and I from her.
2/3rds milk, rest water and add 1/3 to 1/2 cup of sugar to water. Bring to a boil and add corn til color is a bit darker of course corn needs to be shuked
B-4 adding to the water/milk mixture. If somone is diabetic, I use Splenda Blend, for less calories.
Schel

What is the best way to boil corn?

The best way to boil corn is to bring a large pot of water to a rolling boil, add the shucked corn and cook for 3-5 minutes. Then, remove the corn from the water and serve immediately.

How do I know when the corn is done boiling?

You can test the doneness of the corn by piercing a kernel with a fork. If it is tender, it is done. Alternatively, you can also taste a kernel to determine if it is cooked to your desired level of tenderness.

Should I add salt to the water when boiling corn?

Adding salt to the water is optional, but it can help enhance the flavor of the corn. If you choose to add salt, use about 1 tablespoon for every 4 cups of water.

Can I boil frozen corn?

Yes, you can boil frozen corn. Simply add the frozen corn to the boiling water and cook for an additional 1-2 minutes compared to fresh corn.

Can I add any other ingredients to the water when boiling corn?

Yes, you can add other ingredients such as herbs, spices, or even a slice of lemon or lime to the water for added flavor. Just be sure to strain the water before serving the corn.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• byrd1956
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
janetupnorth
  • ltricarico
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
sharalam
  • byrd1956