• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Copyrights of Recipes and Tips

Many of us are sharing tips and recipes on our FB pages and profiles now that we're allowed to. PC allows us to share their creations with certain rules (including the ® symbol etc.), but there are so many other resources out there, too. PC is great for getting the word out there, but it's not the only way.
NooraK
Gold Member
Many of us are sharing tips and recipes on our FB pages and profiles now that we're allowed to. PC allows us to share their creations with certain rules (including the ® symbol etc.), but there are so many other resources out there, too.

I did a quick Google search on the topic, and didn't really get much of an answer. I found an article that said this:

U.S. copyright law addresses recipes, but what holds sway can be called either ethics or etiquette. Cooking is not considered inventing; rather, it evolves. Copyright law specifies that "substantial literary expression in the form of an explanation or directions," such as a cookbook, can be copyrighted but that a mere list of ingredients cannot receive that protection.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/01/03/AR2006010300316.html

The "fair use" prortion of copyright law comes into play in that I would be using the material for education, but even that might be stretching it a bit. If I were to link to the recipe I found, I think I would be OK, since I'm not copying it and I'm directing my audience to the source where I found it.

What about tips? If I read, say Cook's Illustrated, and find a tip in there about the best way to chop chicken for a soup, how does it apply there?

Any opinions? Or, I should say, what opinions do you have, because I'm sure there are plenty! ;)

I'd say if you don't know just give credit such as "I found this great tip in Martha Stewart's magazine...." Or "(tip) Thanks Marth Stewart!" or (tip) -Family Fun Magazine.
This allows two things- one you are telling people where you found it so that they can go find it for themselves and verify and Two allows them to reference that magazine for other great tips. Does that make sense?? (in my head it does but my fingers go faster sometimes! ha ha)

My way of cooking a hard-boiled egg perfectly with a bright yellow center comes from Julia childs. I credit her on my website at Easter time when I post this on my web page. I also make sure I always have the symbol by the recipes for copyright.

I agree, even in college, when writing papers, as long as you cite your source, you should be okay. It is not like you are directly getting paid to share the tips (ie writing a cookbook), you are passing it along to make your customer's lives a little easier or safer (as in food safety).

Hi there! It's great that you're looking into the copyright laws surrounding sharing recipes and tips on social media. As a Pampered Chef consultant, I can assure you that our company takes copyright laws very seriously and we always follow the proper guidelines when sharing our creations on social media.In terms of sharing other resources, such as tips and recipes from other sources, it's important to always give credit to the original source and link back to their website. This not only shows respect for the creator, but it also ensures that you are not infringing on any copyright laws.When it comes to tips, it's always best to give credit to the source and link back to their website. If you are unsure about the copyright laws surrounding a specific tip, it's always best to err on the side of caution and not share it without permission.I hope this helps clarify things for you. As always, it's important to be mindful of copyright laws and to always give credit where credit is due. Happy cooking and sharing!

1. What is the difference between a copyright and a patent?

A copyright protects original works of authorship, such as literary, musical, and artistic works. This includes recipes and cooking tips. A patent, on the other hand, protects inventions or processes that are new, useful, and non-obvious.

2. Do I need to register my recipe or tip for it to be protected by copyright?

No, copyright protection is automatic as soon as the recipe or tip is created and fixed in a tangible form, such as written down or recorded. However, registering your recipe or tip with the U.S. Copyright Office can provide additional legal benefits if someone were to infringe on your work.

3. Can I use someone else's recipe or tip on my blog or social media without permission?

No, you should always obtain permission from the original creator before using their recipe or tip. This is because they have the exclusive right to reproduce, distribute, and display their work. Using someone else's recipe or tip without permission may constitute copyright infringement.

4. Can I copyright a recipe or tip that uses common ingredients or cooking techniques?

Yes, even if your recipe or tip uses common ingredients or cooking techniques, it can still be protected by copyright as long as it is original and creative. However, you cannot copyright a list of ingredients or a basic cooking method.

5. How long does copyright protection last for a recipe or tip?

In the United States, copyright protection for a recipe or tip lasts for the life of the creator plus an additional 70 years after their death. After that, the recipe or tip enters the public domain and can be used by anyone without permission.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• its_me_susan
  • Pampered Chef Recipes
Replies
Views
rlombas
  • babywings76
  • Pampered Chef Facebook Marketing
Replies
Views
Admin Greg
  • WendyE