• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Are these Cool Crunchy Chicken Tacos worth trying this summer?

Thanks for posting this recipe. I have been looking for it and so glad to see it in my area. It was a big hit at my show as well!Seems like a lot of work for what you get. but if you want to give it a go, I would love to hear how it turns out. I have not ever tried it before.I made this recipe last night. If you make it with the avacado and jicama on
schel
What is everyones opinion on these?

The look so yummy on the front of the seasons best, but I am not a fan of mango or jicima.

Thanks for input.
Schel

We made them at our last cluster meeting, except we made them into a salad instead of the tacos. I thought they were pretty good, except I don't really care for the cilantro.

They were much better than I had expected! I have never used mango or jicima. Both added a great flavor to this recipe. Give it a try!

I'm glad you asked about this! I have never used hicama before- how do you know it is ripe when are purchasing it? IT looks like a big root. Am I looking at the right thing. Thanks!

This is a great recipe! I have made it quite a few times and just did it at a show last night. Some of the folks wrinkled their noses at the ingredients but I assured them combined together they were FABULOUS. So everyone tried it (like a good class) and they loved it. Even came back for seconds. I do leave out the avacado though :)

loreo said:
I'm glad you asked about this! I have never used hicama before- how do you know it is ripe when are purchasing it? IT looks like a big root. Am I looking at the right thing. Thanks!
The guide at walmart said to pick one with smooth skin. That was about it. You could probably search online to find out exactly.

chefcharity said:
This is a great recipe! I have made it quite a few times and just did it at a show last night. Some of the folks wrinkled their noses at the ingredients but I assured them combined together they were FABULOUS. So everyone tried it (like a good class) and they loved it. Even came back for seconds. I do leave out the avacado though :)

I usually add when they say something is optional but avacados are never good around here so I skipped that too.

I didn't care for them at all............neither did my kids. Hubby on the other hand loved them. Go figure LOL

LOVED these! This is one of those recipes where the parts make up a terrific whole! It's not ingredients that I would necessarily think to put together, but it works!

i had these at a cluster meeting and loved them. ...and am making for my show tonight..

BUT i cannot find the hicama anywhere..been to 2 stores..so I am having to make and serve it w/ out that ingredient...

Anyone else tried it minus the hicama?

smilesarepriceless said:
i had these at a cluster meeting and loved them. ...and am making for my show tonight..

BUT i cannot find the hicama anywhere..been to 2 stores..so I am having to make and serve it w/ out that ingredient...

I couldn't find it either, but when I asked the person stocking in produce if they had any Jicama, he led me right to it. It was with the bulk potatoes, w/ just a little teeny sign. He told me that's where they always keep it. (at least here!)

thanks becky..I went to both kroger ( where they told me there shipment came in all molded..and they had to throw em' out) and I asked the produce people at Wal-mart, and they looked diligently for me also..to make sure that they weren't just ou on the stockfloor...but had none at all in the back..

---these little things make me nervous, but I suppose I'll see how it turns out w/ out it!

prepping now for my show..gonna do it in the trifle bowl version i've heard about...

I was happily surprised to LOVE them!

LOVE these! Jicama is so good. At my Meijer I found them by the peppers not by the potatoes.

At my store today, the jicama was on a shelf next to where they have the packages of fresh bunches of herbs.

I've looked in all the stores near me and no one has jicama. There's a sign but none to be found in the Lowes grocery. I'll have to venture to Harris Teeter or Fresh Market next week...

Made them tonight at the show ( as a salad) ---and it was really a hit. They all liked it.

I did the trifle idea of layering it ( i did add broken taco shells as a layer).

It was thankfully a small crowd, so quantity wasn't an issue, but it only fills like half the trifle bowl..which isn't the look I'd like for a nice big crowd.

No Jicima.but still wonderful flavor.

At my store the jicama is near the mushrooms

If you don't have jicama, you can use water chestnuts instead to add the cool crunch.

I think these are SOOO yummy! My husband & I love them! (for some strange reason, my daughter thought they tasted like soap! Maybe the cumin??) I cook 3 chicken breasts in the DCB with the Southwestern seasoning for 15 mins, then Iuse the salad choppers to chop up the chicken. By the time I do everything else, the chicken is cooled down. I use lofat mayo and soft corn tortillas warmed up on our tortilla warmer, not the hard shells. I only use half the jicama. I also cut up the mango & jicama into smaller pieces. Usually the next day, I add the jicama mixture to the chicken & eat it as a chicken salad. I'll bet it would be good stuffed into a pita too. I love the crunchy jicama paired with the sweet mango ... and I cannot get enough of cilantro! I think you either love it or hate it & I LOVE it!!! I think carrots might be a good crunch if you can't find jicama. You really need the crunch. :)

cookingwithdot said:
I think these are SOOO yummy! My husband & I love them! (for some strange reason, my daughter thought they tasted like soap! Maybe the cumin??) I cook 3 chicken breasts in the DCB with the Southwestern seasoning for 15 mins, then Iuse the salad choppers to chop up the chicken. By the time I do everything else, the chicken is cooled down. I use lofat mayo and soft corn tortillas warmed up on our tortilla warmer, not the hard shells. I only use half the jicama. I also cut up the mango & jicama into smaller pieces. Usually the next day, I add the jicama mixture to the chicken & eat it as a chicken salad. I'll bet it would be good stuffed into a pita too. I love the crunchy jicama paired with the sweet mango ... and I cannot get enough of cilantro! I think you either love it or hate it & I LOVE it!!! I think carrots might be a good crunch if you can't find jicama. You really need the crunch. :)

There is a certain percentage of the population that think cilantro tastes like soap. It has to do with taste buds. :) So that's probably the culprit!

I made this for a show earlier today and served it as a salad on the large bamboo platter w/ the claws. What a beautiful presentation! Everyone there thought that it would also make a great wrap sandwich. There were only 5 people at the party, including the host and past host, and 2 of the 3 other people booked! :)

smilesarepriceless said:

An excellent substitute for jicama is water chestnuts. As a matter of fact, jicama is a good substitute for water chestnuts in return.

I made them at home...my husband loved them, my son did not like the mango in it. I think they would make a great topping for a salad. Jicama is very good and easy to use. I used low fat mayo too and used tortillas instead of hard tacos...good for a wrap! I don't know that I would do them at a show because they have a very distinct flavor to them. Cilantro is heaven!

The dressing for this was extremely "hot" for us. Too much cayenne pepper. DH could hardly eat it. I only dabbed a little on, so it was hot but edible. We served it as a salad in the Salad Spinner bowl and served the dressing on the side. My mom hates mayo, so she refused to have it even touch her chicken. :D After seeing how spicy it was, I was so glad that I hadn't added some of the sauce to the mixture, the way the recipe says to.

babywings76 said:
The dressing for this was extremely "hot" for us. Too much cayenne pepper. DH could hardly eat it. I only dabbed a little on, so it was hot but edible. We served it as a salad in the Salad Spinner bowl and served the dressing on the side. My mom hates mayo, so she refused to have it even touch her chicken. :D After seeing how spicy it was, I was so glad that I hadn't added some of the sauce to the mixture, the way the recipe says to.

I don't add the cayenne - I use 1/2 tsp of chipotle rub instead. It adds a slightly smokey/peppery flavor without the heat. I think it compliments the lime well.

Great idea to do as a show recipe! :)

cookingwithdot said:
Hey, Dot --
Some people think cilantro tastes like soap (I love it, though). Maybe that is what your daughter was tasting? Thanks for the feedback on these. Love the layered salad idea. Haven't tried to make them myself yet.:)

ChefBeckyD said:
I don't add the cayenne - I use 1/2 tsp of chipotle rub instead. It adds a slightly smokey/peppery flavor without the heat. I think it compliments the lime well.

I finally found jicima and made this. I used 1/2 the cumin and substitued the cayenne with 1/2 tsp chipolte and layered it in the trifle bowl.

My husband and I LOVED it! It's very plain - just green & yellow - in the bowl but he thought it looked good. We had it Monday night and he's already asking when I'm making it again.

BethCooks4U said:
I finally found jicima and made this. I used 1/2 the cumin and substitued the cayenne with 1/2 tsp chipolte and layered it in the trifle bowl.

My husband and I LOVED it! It's very plain - just green & yellow - in the bowl but he thought it looked good. We had it Monday night and he's already asking when I'm making it again.

There is something very addictive about it! I'm buying more jicama & mango today so that I can make it tonight! We had grilled fish last night, and I also marinated some chicken in w/ some lime and chipotle rub, and had DH grill that at the same time, so that I can make the salad for dinner!

I wondered the same thing about the color, but I've been serving it on the bamboo platter, so there is a bit of color contrast with that....I've thought about throwing on a little chopped red pepper, just for another color.

Anyone have a suggestion for replacing the mango?

Jolie_Paradoxe said:
Anyone have a suggestion for replacing the mango?

Papaya or peaches...or some people were subbing mango for nectarines in the nectarine salsa, so it would probably work in reverse too!

I totally forgot the papaya! That would work perfectly....I had thought nectarines too, but wasn't all that excited about it. Papaya though....very excited!

I haven't tried it because I'm deathly allergic to it....I'm demoing it on the 5th and told the host I would be hands off due to it. :D

I have another host who's interested in the recipe, and I'm not sure it'll be all that interactive.

As always, THANK YOU!

Jolie_Paradoxe said:
I totally forgot the papaya! That would work perfectly....I had thought nectarines too, but wasn't all that excited about it. Papaya though....very excited! I haven't tried it because I'm deathly allergic to it....I'm demoing it on the 5th and told the host I would be hands off due to it. :DI have another host who's interested in the recipe, and I'm not sure it'll be all that interactive. As always, THANK YOU!
That's funny (um, not funny that you are deathly allergic...that's actually scary) but funny because I bought a papaya today specifically to try it in that salad to see if it's good! (I couldn't find a ripe mango) I'm making it tomorrow for our family, so I can let you know!

I agree with you....it is funny. April has been my "Murphy's Law in Full Steam".. I'm so tired that I'm actually finding it amusing.

"Wouldn't you know" that these 2 ladies are wanting me to demo a recipe that has mango! Murphy's law will probably kick in, and I'll find out that I developed an allergy to papayas too. :D

So, I'm sure I'll be posting later that I had to use an epi that night....better be $1000 shows! Ha Ha

Please do let me know how the papaya works out. It'll be great since you love the original recipe. I think the consistency and flavor is really close to a mango.

When I made them my family thought that they were a little dry. Too much lettuce, so we did them as appetizers using tortilla chips instead of the taco shell. It was awesome!

Jolie_Paradoxe said:
I agree with you....it is funny. April has been my "Murphy's Law in Full Steam".. I'm so tired that I'm actually finding it amusing.

"Wouldn't you know" that these 2 ladies are wanting me to demo a recipe that has mango! Murphy's law will probably kick in, and I'll find out that I developed an allergy to papayas too. :D

So, I'm sure I'll be posting later that I had to use an epi that night....better be $1000 shows! Ha Ha

Please do let me know how the papaya works out. It'll be great since you love the original recipe. I think the consistency and flavor is really close to a mango.

The papaya was really good - although it turned the jicama an orangish-pink color.

I have a show tomorrow, and host wants me to do the cool and crunchy chicken tacos for the demonstration. My director, adviced me not. But host won't budge. Any suggestions on how to make them a sucess?

purpleluvs3 said:
I have a show tomorrow, and host wants me to do the cool and crunchy chicken tacos for the demonstration. My director, adviced me not. But host won't budge. Any suggestions on how to make them a sucess?

Why would your director advise you not to?

I've been doing this recipe almost exclusively at my shows and it's been a HUGE hit!

Here are some pointers:

Make it as a Taco Salad instead of Tacos.

Double the dressing/sauce...especially if you are making it as a salad.

Use Chipotle Rub instead of cayenne pepper

Cook the chicken in the DCB before guests arrive, and then chop it with either the salad choppers or the mix n chop. Add the dressing to it right in the DCB, and then spoon it over the salad greens (I use the large bamboo tray for serving it) then spoon over the mango mixture and crunch some tortilla chips over the top of that (or some of the taco shells.)

Becky has shared some tips on how to make this recipe for a show and have it be a success. Off the top of my head, I remember she said that she makes the chicken in the DCB. She uses the julienne peeler for the jicama instead of the UM and knives. And I think she used the chipotle rub? for making the sauce instead.It's great made as just a big salad and served w/ tortillas chips rather than filling taco shells. If you look at the bottom of this page where it says "Similar Threads", it shows other threads about this recipe. Scroll through those and see if you can find where Becky posted. It's getting late here and I was just about to log off for the night, otherwise I'd try to find it better for you.Hope that helps, a little bit anyway. ;)

LOL Becky, you're on and you chimed in! :) Great! Now I can go to bed. :D

Thank you Amanda and Becky!! Excited to try tips for family tomorrow before going to show.

Becky or anyone else who has had success with the taco salad version of this recipe - how are you describing this dish so that hosts are picking it? I think I'm missing something b/c when I describe it at my shows they don't seem interested, and no one has picked it from my recipe list. Becky talks about having a lot of successful shows with this recipe. As we get more into salad season I would expect more hosts to want a recipe like this.

Thanks!

I've made this at two shows, and it has been great. I send the ingredients list and tell them it is an amazing salad that my family loves. I think people are intrigued by it being kinda different ingredients. My last hostess that picked this didn't even know what a mango was and had to ask at the grocery store so that she could find it. I was so glad I brought the jicama. Don't think she would've found it.
It wasn't as much of a hit among the guests at that show though though. She had Miracle Whip instead of Mayo, and I am wondering if that was the problem, but honeslty I didn't taste it, so I don't know. I also kinda got the idea that they were a little plain Jand kinda group, so it might have just been too much.
I really like this recipe b/c it is simple enough and I can get a few different people started on different things (chopping, cutting, etc.) and then people are occupied while I talk about what they are using. I am still new, but this one really seems like it flows better than some of the others, and maybe it is because I am always kinda winging it instead of trying to follow the recipe so intently.

Has anyone tried the chili lime rub in place of the cayenne?

Becca_in_MD said:
Becky or anyone else who has had success with the taco salad version of this recipe - how are you describing this dish so that hosts are picking it? I think I'm missing something b/c when I describe it at my shows they don't seem interested, and no one has picked it from my recipe list. Becky talks about having a lot of successful shows with this recipe. As we get more into salad season I would expect more hosts to want a recipe like this. Thanks!
I tell them that it is unlike any other taco salad they've ever had before...that it's fresh tasting and incredibly healthy, and that it's my most requested salad recipe. I let them know it uses ingredients not usually found in a taco salad, and that the mixture of those ingredients makes the recipe a "party in your mouth". (heehee - that is actually what a guest said at a party when I made this - I've been using it ever since!)ONE NOTE! Make sure you're doubling the sauce when you're doing it as a salad!

meganmcg said:
Has anyone tried the chili lime rub in place of the cayenne?

I used the chili lime rub and cumin in it at my last party, and people loved it!

lesliec said:
I've made this at two shows, and it has been great. I send the ingredients list and tell them it is an amazing salad that my family loves. I think people are intrigued by it being kinda different ingredients. My last hostess that picked this didn't even know what a mango was and had to ask at the grocery store so that she could find it. I was so glad I brought the jicama. Don't think she would've found it.
It wasn't as much of a hit among the guests at that show though though. She had Miracle Whip instead of Mayo, and I am wondering if that was the problem, but honeslty I didn't taste it, so I don't know. I also kinda got the idea that they were a little plain Jand kinda group, so it might have just been too much.
I really like this recipe b/c it is simple enough and I can get a few different people started on different things (chopping, cutting, etc.) and then people are occupied while I talk about what they are using. I am still new, but this one really seems like it flows better than some of the others, and maybe it is because I am always kinda winging it instead of trying to follow the recipe so intently.

:yuck::yuck::yuck: Makes ALL the difference! I always make sure my hosts know that they need MAYO not the other stuff, and if that's all they buy, then I bring the mayo with me.

Thanks Becky! We are doing this at my show tonight!

Haven't done this since last summer, but I think it's about time to pull it back out.

1. Are the Cool Crunchy Chicken Tacos a popular summer dish?

Yes, the Cool Crunchy Chicken Tacos are a fan-favorite during the summer season. They offer a refreshing and light option for hot summer days.

2. What are the main ingredients in the Cool Crunchy Chicken Tacos?

The Cool Crunchy Chicken Tacos are made with grilled chicken, fresh mango, jicama, avocado, and a delicious lime-cilantro dressing.

3. Are the Cool Crunchy Chicken Tacos suitable for those with dietary restrictions?

Yes, the Cool Crunchy Chicken Tacos can easily be made gluten-free by using corn tortillas and dairy-free by omitting the cheese. However, if you have an allergy to any of the main ingredients, such as mango or avocado, it may not be the best option for you.

4. Can the jicama be substituted with another vegetable?

Absolutely! If you are not a fan of jicama, you can substitute it with another crunchy vegetable such as cucumber or radish. You can also omit it altogether and add more avocado for a creamy texture.

5. Are the Cool Crunchy Chicken Tacos worth trying if I don't like mango or jicama?

Definitely! While the mango and jicama add a unique flavor and texture to the tacos, they are not the main ingredients. You can easily customize the tacos to your liking by using different fruits and vegetables, or simply omitting the ones you don't enjoy.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• accooks13
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
pchockeymom
Replies
Views
Admin Greg
Replies
Views
Bren706