• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Where can I find information about non-stick cookware safety?

In summary, DuPont does not believe that the use of its Teflon nonstick cookware poses a danger to consumers and employees. Normal use does not emit dangerous gases. Cookware made with Teflon non-stick coatings are totally safe for everyday consumer and commercial use.
chrpangel
HELP!!! I can't find what I'm looking for! I have a host who had a question about the cookware. Something about the 'danger' of using non stick b/c of teflon. I remember there was an information sheet floating around on this too give to people. Do you guys know where I can find this? Thanks so much!!!

Gina

Of course I can't find it now....

The real concern/danger had been coming from the MANUFACTURING process which has been changed.

You don't have to worry on the consumer end unless you leave it sitting bone dry on excessively high heat for an extremely long time. Normal use does NOT put off any dangerous gasses.

And Kelly's correct. If your customers follow the use and care for our nonstick pans, they shouldn't encounter any problems. OVERHEATING the pans can cause emission of poisonous fumes, but that can be avoided by a) never heating the pan on anything higher than Med-High and b) never heating the pan empty (a little water or oil in the bottom will absorb the "excess" heat. Oil will start to smoke before the pan hits critical temp, which serves as a further warning.).

Thanks Ann!

This time I saved it in my cookware file!

ANN, YOU TOTALLY ROCK!!!! I'm going to give this to my host tonight! It's my first cooking show in quite some time (I've been existing on catalog shows). I am between EXCITED and NeRvoUS!!!! Thanks AGAIN! :))

Gina- you're going to do great!

And you're welcome. :)

here's the letter from dupontCookware-DuPont Teflon Coating

Thank you for your inquiry regarding Teflon®. DuPont places the safety of employees, customers, and the public above all we do. This has been our first priority in business for over 200 years. All DuPont products are proven safe before they are sold. Cookware made with Teflon® non-stick
coatings are totally safe for everyday consumer and commercial use. Below are important facts that you should know about Teflon® and cookware.

Teflon® non-stick cookware does not contain PFOA. (perfluorooctanoic acid) A published, peer-reviewed study (April 2005) in Environmental Science & Technology found no PFOA in Teflon® cookware. No PFOA was detected even when the cookware was scratched with a knife. Tests using approved FDA methods also show that non-stick coatings used for cookware sold under the Teflon® brand do not contain PFOA. The Danish Technical Institute and China Academy of Inspection and Quarantine tested Teflon® cookware and did not detect PFOA.

Teflon® is a brand name, not a chemical. Teflon® is a brand name and a registered trademark of DuPont. Teflon® is not PFOA. The improper use of the Teflon® brand as a synonym for PFOA is not only inaccurate and misleading to consumers but also constitutes a trademark violation. PFOA (perfluorooctanoic acid), also known as C-8, is an essential processing aid used to make fluoropolymers – high performance plastics manufactured by a number of companies. PFOA and Teflon® are entirely different – one is a processing aid, the other is a product brand. It is also inaccurate to describe PFOA as an ingredient in Teflon® cookware.

U.S. regulatory agencies have studied non-stick coatings and approved their use in consumer products.
The Food and Drug Administration has found non-stick coatings acceptable for conventional kitchen use. Also, in 2003 the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission rejected a petition to require a label warning for non-stick coatings. Health regulatory agencies across the globe have approved the use of Teflon® cookware.

Heating Teflon® cookware to high temperatures does not release PFOA or cause it to be emitted in fumes. Because there is no PFOA in Teflon® non-stick cookware, there is no emission of PFOA. In fact, high temperatures in the manufacturing process destroy PFOA, which is why, although PFOA is used as a processing aid to make the coating, PFOA is not found in the final cookware product.

There are no documented cases of serious or long-term human health effects caused by exposure to fumes from heating cookware coated with Teflon® to high temperatures. Over the 40 years non-stick cookware has been in widespread use, there is only one published case of a minor, short-lasting health effect linked to overheating non-stick cookware. Cookware with Teflon® non-stick coatings has a recommended maximum use temperature of 500F or 260C; typical cooking temperatures are much lower. Significant decomposition of the coating will occur only when temperatures exceed about 660F or 349C – well above the smoke point for cooking oil, fats or butter. Therefore, it is unlikely that decomposition temperatures for non-stick cookware would be reached without burning food to an inedible state. However, these high temperatures can be reached if dry or empty cookware is neglected on a hot burner or in an oven – a safety hazard that should be avoided with all cookware. No cookware should ever be left unattended.

Teflon® non-stick can help reduce dangers in the kitchen. According to Karen Benedek, a leading advisor to government and appliance manufacturers on cooking safety, “In over 70 percent of range top fires, it’s the oil, fat, grease or food itself that ignites. The less fat, the smaller the fire. Because non-stick cookware requires less fat for cooking, it can help reduce dangers in the kitchen.”

Particles from Teflon® cookware are not harmful to consumers. Particles from Teflon® branded cookware are not harmful, even if ingested. Confidence in the safety and performance of DuPont non-stick coatings is based on more than 40 years of laboratory testing and use in home and commercial kitchens.

Birds should not be kept in the kitchen. Fumes emitted from burned foods cooked in any type of pan can affect pet birds. Severely overheated non-stick cookware also can affect pet birds. However, the temperatures required to burn foods are significantly lower than those at which decomposition of non-stick coatings occur. Because they have highly sensitive respiratory systems, birds are more at risk from burning butters and oils, aerosol sprays and cleaning solvents. “Since food can be inadvertently burned in any type of pot or pan, it is important to keep birds out of the kitchen while cooking, and away from any other area of the house where birds are at risk of breathing in fumes,” according
to Dr. Karen Rosenthal, DVM MS, an Avian Veterinarian and Director of Special Species Medicine at the University of Pennsylvania.

Not all non-stick coatings are branded Teflon®. Teflon® branded non-stick coatings are made solely by DuPont. Teflon® is a registered trademark. Not all non-stick coatings are branded Teflon®.
Moreover, a stringent certification program ensures that non-stick coatings by DuPont are used only in suitable applications.

EPA and its Scientific Advisory Board are studying PFOA, not Teflon®. EPA and its Scientific Advisory Board are working to determine the health risks associated with exposure to PFOA through its presence in the environment. They are not examining the safety of consumer products sold
under the Teflon® brand. EPA’s position: “EPA does not believe there is any reason for consumers to stop using any consumer or industrial related products.” Teflon® non-stick cookware does not contain PFOA.

Human health research on PFOA conducted to date has shown no known health effects. Based on an evaluation of human health and toxicology studies, DuPont concludes that PFOA exposure does not pose a cancer risk or any health risk to the general public. There is no significant potential for exposure to PFOA from using products made with DuPont materials; hence, there is no
risk to consumers.

Please contact us again if you need further assistance. We appreciate your feedback and value you as a customer.

Sincerely,

DuPont Teflon® Brand Inquiry Center
Wilmington, Delaware USA
http://www.teflon.com
[email protected]
866-205-1664
302-774-1177

Thanks :) I'm still really nervous! I'll let you know tomorrow how it goes! I've got my director, Ann on speed dial! She's amazing! She even lent me her folding table! lol

You'll do great. Just remember the line, "That's why it's Pampered, not Perfect." Use it as often as you need to. :D

lol! My director says to remember it's a cooking show, not brain surgery! My hostess just called...she's up to 15 people for tonight!!!!! PLUS she's dropping red flags all over the place!!!! WOOHOO!

chrpangel said:
lol! My director says to remember it's a cooking show, not brain surgery! My hostess just called...she's up to 15 people for tonight!!!!! PLUS she's dropping red flags all over the place!!!! WOOHOO!
You GO GIRL!! Knock em dead tonight!!! Let us know how you do!:)

I know they still have to be careful if they have an exotic bird. (see other thread).
Don't get me started!!!

UPDATE!!! Okay 13 people showed. Currently, she is at $484 but is waiting for more outside orders. PLUS...I've got a catalog show booked for TODAY, one for October, and one I've got to call on. She was an order someone brought in (my hosts hubby actually). She indicated on the form she was interested, PLUS I booked a show for August whose also a potential recruit. We're talking on Saturday. And my host use to do Discovery Toys years ago. So she's thinking about it and her hubby is encouraging her. With over $500 in sales 4 bookings and two potential recruits this was my BEST SHOW EVER!!! It was so funny. I had everything ready before I left. Then I get there...I forgot my calculator, my moneybag and most importantly, the dip for the veggies! lol Luckily, we live like 7 minutes away and my hubby ran it over. lol Thank you THANK YOU THANK YOU for all your support. YOU GUYS ROCK!:D

1. What materials are used to make Pampered Chef cookware?

Pampered Chef cookware is made from a variety of materials, including stainless steel, aluminum, and ceramic. Each material has its own unique properties and benefits, and our cookware is designed to be durable and long-lasting.

2. Is Pampered Chef cookware safe to use on all types of stovetops?

Yes, our cookware is safe to use on all types of stovetops, including gas, electric, and induction. However, it is important to follow the specific instructions for each type of cookware to ensure safe and proper usage.

3. Can I put Pampered Chef cookware in the dishwasher?

While some of our cookware is dishwasher safe, we recommend handwashing to prolong the life of the product. Dishwashing can cause scratches and damage to the surface of the cookware, so it is best to handwash with mild soap and warm water.

4. How do I know which size of cookware to use for a specific recipe?

The size of cookware needed for a recipe will depend on the amount of food being cooked. We recommend using a larger size if you are cooking for a larger group or if the recipe calls for a lot of ingredients. Our cookware also comes in a variety of sizes, so you can choose the one that best fits your needs.

5. Can I use metal utensils with Pampered Chef cookware?

Yes, our cookware is designed to be used with metal utensils. However, using metal utensils may cause some scratching or damage to the surface over time. To prevent this, we recommend using silicone or wooden utensils when possible.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• schel
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
schel
Replies
Views
Admin Greg
  • beckypchef
  • Products and Tips
Replies