• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Cookware Question for Pampered Chef Vets- Please Help!

In summary, Teflon is not a dangerous product, but it may produce harmful fumes while it's being made.
kcjodih
Gold Member
I know we have Dupont Autograph II non stick coating....but is it another name for Teflon or in any way related to Teflon. I've read articles before but I"m still confused and today there was a huge write up in one of our top ten newspapers about the risks and horrors of using Teflon.

Help clarify please!!! After 1 year with PC I know I SHOULD know this but can't find any info on CC or anywhere else!

It's made by the same company, Dupont. It's their top-of-the line product. From what I understand it is a different formula that is BAKED into the pan THREE times. It's not dipped, and doesn't flake off.

The problem lies in the process, not the productIf you do a search on Teflon, you'll get some answers you are looking for, as this topic has been discussed extensively. But as a summary, the problem is in the production of Teflon itself at the processing plant; with normal use, our cookware is safe.

Diane

"Teflon" is a brand name, much like "Kleenex" that everyone seems to use as a generic term. The big deal about Teflon is that the emissions it produces IN PRODUCTION may be harmful. Not when you use the products to cook. The EPA is bringing up the issues with Teflon in relation to what fumes it produces when it's being made, not when you cook with it. Like the previous poster said, do a Google search on Teflon and you may find information. The Dupont website (www.dupont.com) is supposed to have some good information too.

Jodi, Autograph and Autograph II are NOT Teflon. As has been stated, both are trademarked products of DuPont Chemical but they are not the same product. It's much like General Motors makes both Buick and Cadillac, they may perform simular duties, look alike and share some common components but they are not the same products.

If you like, you can refer people to the DuPont Chemical FAQ page that addresses this issue extensively. You can find it at http://www.teflon.com/NASApp/Teflon/TeflonPageServlet?pageId=/consumer/na/eng/news/news_detail.safetyconcerns.html

In that page, you and your customers will learn that the flap is NOT over Teflon, but over a chemical called , "perfluorooctanoic acid" or PFOA. Here is a quote from that page - emphasis is mine.

DuPont Chemical said:
The improper use of the Teflon® brand as a synonym for PFOA is not only inaccurate and misleading to consumers but also constitutes a trademark violation. PFOA (perfluorooctanoic acid), also known as C-8, is an essential processing aid used to make fluoropolymers--high performance plastics manufactured by a number of companies. PFOA and Teflon® are entirely different--one is a processing aid, the other is a product brand. It is also inaccurate to describe PFOA as an ingredient in Teflon® cookware.

Also from the site: "Studies using FDA standard testing methods found no detectable level of PFOA in Teflon® non-stick cookware."

Of course, if some idiot tells you in a forwarded e-mail that Teflon is dangerous because of a report written by someone (14 e-mails ago) who's next door neighbor's cousin's brother-in-law knows someone in Cleveland that has an uncle at the EPA who's friend three cubes down wrote the report, well, it must be true then, right?

After all, it's on the Internet, so it MUST be true. :rolleyes:

http://www2.dupont.com/PFOA/en_US/product_safety/product_question_answer.html

Here is a decent place to start. :)

What is the best type of cookware for a beginner chef?

The best type of cookware for a beginner chef is a set that includes basic pots and pans such as a saucepan, sauté pan, and stockpot. It should also come with a non-stick surface for easy cooking and cleaning. The Pampered Chef Executive Nonstick Cookware Set is a great option for beginner chefs.

How do I properly care for my Pampered Chef cookware?

To prolong the life of your Pampered Chef cookware, it is important to hand wash them with warm soapy water and a soft sponge. Avoid using harsh cleaning products or steel wool which can damage the non-stick surface. It is also recommended to use wooden or silicone utensils to prevent scratching the surface.

What is the difference between stainless steel and non-stick cookware?

Stainless steel cookware is durable and can withstand high temperatures, making it great for searing and browning. However, food may stick to the surface if not properly greased. Non-stick cookware has a special coating that prevents food from sticking, making it easier to cook and clean. However, it is not suitable for high heat cooking.

Can I use Pampered Chef cookware on an induction stove?

Yes, most Pampered Chef cookware is suitable for use on induction stoves. Look for the induction symbol on the bottom of the cookware to ensure compatibility. If the symbol is not present, you can purchase a stainless steel disk that allows non-induction cookware to be used on induction stoves.

What is the warranty for Pampered Chef cookware?

Pampered Chef offers a limited lifetime warranty on their cookware, guaranteeing that it will be free from defects in material and workmanship under normal household use for the lifetime of the product. If you encounter any issues with your cookware, you can contact Pampered Chef for a replacement or repair.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• Cookie
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
chefbilyeu
  • heat123
  • Pampered Chef Bookings
Replies
Views
pampered1224
  • jcwarr