• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Preventing Burnt and Sticky Sliced Potatoes in SS Cookware

In summary, the conversation discusses the issue of sliced potatoes sticking and burning in SS cookware. Some suggestions are to use non-stick cookware or to add room-temperature oil to the pan before cooking. Another tip is to rinse the starch out of the potatoes before frying. It is also mentioned that SS cookware can be used for frying as long as the oil is well heated before adding the contents.
abrahamlaur
hey all, i got a question. whenever i make sliced potatoes it burns my SS cookware to pieces, and it sticks to the bottom like crazy. is there anything i can do so that wont happeN?

Potatoes like eggs are probably not a great choice of things to cook in the SS as the starch makes them stick. I'd cook that sort of thing in the non-stick.

Unless you want to use a bunch of butter/oil. mmm..... greasy....

thanks ann, i might hav eto do that .. i dont have a nonstick that is a good size for that ... thanks anyways

Sell lots of cookware and earn one.

Sliced potatoes can be a bit of a problem, but shouldn't be too bad if you use moderate heat (hot enough to cook on contact, but not so hot it burns your food) and add room-temperature oil to the pan after it has heated completely. HTH!

If you rinse the starch out of the potatoes before frying them it helps with the sticking issue (soak them in water then rinse well). I use my ss pans for frying all the time (sorry, had them long before PC came out with them) but the main secret is to make sure that the oil in the pan is well heated before adding contents...and no, my stuff doesn't float in a plethora of oil.

yummy4tummy said:
If you rinse the starch out of the potatoes before frying them it helps with the sticking issue (soak them in water then rinse well). I use my ss pans for frying all the time (sorry, had them long before PC came out with them) but the main secret is to make sure that the oil in the pan is well heated before adding contents...and no, my stuff doesn't float in a plethora of oil.
Thanks Valkey! That is great advice. I haven't had SS in years so I had forgotten.

1. Why do my sliced potatoes always stick to my stainless steel cookware?

Stainless steel is a non-stick material, but it does require some precautions to prevent sticking. One of the main reasons sliced potatoes stick to stainless steel is because they contain a lot of starch, which can cause them to stick to the pan.

2. How can I prevent my sliced potatoes from burning in stainless steel cookware?

Burning can occur when the heat is too high and the potatoes are not flipped or stirred frequently enough. To prevent burning, make sure to cook the potatoes on medium heat and stir them every few minutes to evenly distribute the heat.

3. Do I need to use oil when cooking sliced potatoes in stainless steel cookware?

Using oil can help prevent sticking and burning, but it is not necessary. If you choose not to use oil, make sure to stir the potatoes frequently and cook them on medium heat.

4. How do I know if my stainless steel cookware is oven-safe for cooking sliced potatoes?

Most stainless steel cookware is oven-safe, but it's always important to check the manufacturer's instructions. If your cookware is oven-safe, make sure to preheat the oven before adding the potatoes to ensure even cooking.

5. Can I use a non-stick cooking spray to prevent sticking when cooking sliced potatoes in stainless steel cookware?

Yes, using a non-stick cooking spray can help prevent sticking. Be sure to use a light coating and spread it evenly on the bottom of the pan before adding the potatoes. This will create a barrier between the potatoes and the pan, preventing them from sticking.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• heat123
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
heat123
  • kcjodih
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
cook4luv
  • Hunter Mom