• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Considering Getting Rid of Home Phone: Upsides & Downsides

In summary, most people who have gotten rid of their home phone have no regrets. They like the convenience of having a cell phone, but still keep a landline for emergencies.
pjpamchef
Silver Member
I am considering getting rid of my home phone, I'm pretty sure I know all the upside reasons to do it, wondering if I'm missing any of the downside reasons. Has anyone regretted getting rid of their home phone??

NO!! Since you can now assign 911 address to your phone, and you still have to give an address even when you call from a land line, there is no reason to have a land line unless you have a fax machine.

The only worry I have is for a babysitter. Almost all kids seem to have cell phones now a days but I always ask to make sure the sitter has a phone and if not, I am prepared to leave mine or my husband's at the house in case of an emergency.

If I had kids I'd have a land line for emergency purposes. We still have ours for now but will soon get rid of it since its just the two of us.

The other reason to keep it would be if you get lousy reception in your house.

Haven't had a home phone for 8 years and I'm still not sure why I didn't do it before then! I do agree with everybody who says that it is still a nice thing to have if you have kids at home who don't have cell phones. They call if there is an emergency and you can call to check in on them.

One thing I can think of is reception. As long as you can make/receive calls on your cell in every part of the house you are probably ok to get rid of the landline.

My cell service is spotty at home. I can be sitting at my computer and sometimes my cell rings, sometimes it doesn't and the call goes to voicemail. Or, I can be talking on my cell and the other person will say that I'm breaking up.

Another thought--Do you have an alarm system that connects to a central monitoring station? I think you would need a landline for that.

I don't get good reception in my house so there is no way I would get rid of my home phone.. but I know a lot of people who got rid of it with no regrets

We have one only because our house alarm requires it.

We still have our land line because our cell reception is horrible out here in the boonies. I use the land line number for all my PC correspondence because I don't want to be on the phone with a customer and lose the call :(

We haven't had a land line for about 5 years now. However, now that my daughter is getting into calling friends (she's about to turn 7), we're thinking of getting a land line again soon. I think the only good purpose (for us) is so the kids don't use up all of our minutes. But when they're old enough for cell phones, we won't have to worry about that either. No matter what, when we're ready to go back to a land line, it's Vonage all the way! So much cheaper than the phone company!

The other thing is in the event of some storm or something. Several years ago we had a bad ice storm and knocked out power for over a week. After just one day, the cell phones no longer worked (towers down or something, not that our cell phones were dead....although they would have eventually) but our landline worked fine (as long as you dont have a cordless phone of course).

You could of course see if they have a basic basic level of service for cheap.

We still have our landline b/c of the kiddos. We have cell phones through Sprint and according to the rep I talked to: when I upgrade to an iphone end of this month we can add our house phone on the plan for just $20 extra which is way cheaper than what we are paying for our home phone now.

flemings99 said:
We still have our landline b/c of the kiddos. We have cell phones through Sprint and according to the rep I talked to: when I upgrade to an iphone end of this month we can add our house phone on the plan for just $20 extra which is way cheaper than what we are paying for our home phone now.

Seriously? I have never heard that. We have our phones through Sprint and our upgrade is coming up at the new year. Of course, I personally think Spring seems expensive compared to a lot of other companies anymore.

I agree with all the reasons for keeping it. I will probably always keep a landline.

Just for the simple fact of the power going out. The batteries run down pretty quickly on the cell phones. We have a few corded phones, so we have phones when the power goes out. A friend with 2 young children had NO corded phones last winter when the power went out for over 23 hrs. I had extra corded phones in the basement and lent her one. They did not have the cell phones charged all the way prior (since you never have advance warning of a power outtage).

Our alarm is tied to the phone. And also our dvrs and tivos.

Plus, the simple fact of I hate talking on a cell phone due to overall reception. I have always felt that cell phones are not as clear as landlines.

1PamperedMommy said:
I think the only good purpose (for us) is so the kids don't use up all of our minutes. !

Ha!! We all have phones, no worries about our minutes, it's the texting! Our kids only talk to US on the phone, everyone else - text!!! Thank goodness for unlimited texting!!

Funny thing is, I wonder if those same kids who text non-stop it seems, would even have a conversation if they were in the same room together! Probably not- they'd be texting someone else!

What are the benefits of getting rid of a home phone?

1. Cost savings: One of the main reasons people consider getting rid of their home phone is to save money. With the rise of cell phones and the availability of affordable phone plans, many find that they no longer need a home phone line which can save them money on their monthly bills.

2. Convenience: Having only one phone number to remember and one device to carry can be more convenient for some people. It also eliminates the need for multiple voicemail accounts and managing different phone bills.

3. Portability: With a home phone, you are limited to using it in your home. By getting rid of it, you can take your phone with you wherever you go, making it easier to stay connected while traveling or in case of an emergency.

4. Decluttering: Getting rid of a home phone can also help declutter your home. With fewer cords and devices, you can reduce the amount of clutter and have a cleaner and more organized space.

5. Customization: Many cell phone plans offer customizable features such as call forwarding, voicemail, and caller ID, giving you more control over how you want to handle your calls.

What are the downsides of getting rid of a home phone?

1. Emergency situations: In case of a power outage or poor cell reception, a home phone can be a reliable backup for making emergency calls. Without a home phone, you may not have a way to contact emergency services.

2. Dependence on cell reception: If you live in an area with poor cell reception, relying solely on a cell phone may not be the best option. A home phone line can provide a more stable and reliable connection for important calls.

3. Limited battery life: Cell phones require regular charging, and in case of a power outage, you may not be able to use your cell phone for an extended period. A home phone does not rely on battery power, making it a more dependable option in emergencies.

4. Nuisance calls: With a home phone, you can easily screen calls using caller ID or an answering machine. Without a home phone, you may be more susceptible to unwanted telemarketing or spam calls on your cell phone.

5. Loss of a familiar number: Many people have had the same home phone number for years, and getting rid of it can mean losing a sense of familiarity and connection to their community.

Can I keep my home phone number if I get rid of the home phone?

Yes, you can usually keep your home phone number when switching to a cell phone or a different phone service provider. This process is called number porting and can usually be done by contacting your new service provider and providing them with your current phone number and account information.

Will getting rid of a home phone affect my internet service?

It depends on the type of internet service you have. If you have a traditional landline phone, getting rid of it may affect your DSL internet service. However, if you have cable or fiber internet, it should not be affected by getting rid of your home phone. It's best to check with your internet service provider to confirm.

Are there any alternatives to a home phone?

Yes, there are several alternatives to a traditional home phone. You can use a cell phone as your primary phone, or you can opt for a Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP) service, which uses your internet connection to make phone calls. You can also use messaging apps like Skype, WhatsApp, or Facebook Messenger to make calls over the internet.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• magentablue
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
DebbieJ
Replies
Views
esavvymom
Replies
Views
vanscootin